Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Epoxy floor paint.

Currently continuing with the "Car Pavilion" and am wondering what the best floor treatment to use.I don't want a dusty concrete finish and am considering using two part Epoxy paint.Has anyone had experience with the Diy type products currently on E-Bay? I had a workshop floor professionally done by Watco when I was sevice manager for Volvo about twenty years ago,and it took days to go off and cost a fortune,so I'm hoping things are b photo Pavilion front elev.jpgetter now.

Re: Epoxy floor paint.

Hi Peter

Not direct experience of the product you have seen Im afraid!

I have used epoxy products quite a bit for boat repairs and its fussy stuff. The mix of hardener and resin has to be quite accurately measured, the temperature MUST be at least 10c or it refuses to go off properly for days on end. you cant add epoxy on top of epoxy once it has dried without very stringent de waxing and abrading the surface due to a wax which forms on the surface during the curing process. However, get it right and its fantastic. I must admit that trying to use it on boats in the winter is so problematic that I tend to use conventional GRP resin unless Epoxy is absolutely necessary.

When I worked in training our new facility nr Nottingham had the floors coated with a thick epoxy coating. It proved to be extremely hard wearing and resistant to everything, except chipping. I didn't see it being applied, but understand it was poured on and lightly squeegeed out in a thick layer. The only failing was that it was slippery as hell when wet!

Stuart

PS, nice Motor house!

If I can ever gather the funds together I also plan to build a "summer house" which will just happen to be the perfect size for A7 construction!

What are the advantages to doing it? Is it just easier to keep clean and looks nicer? Does it help keep damp away?

Mine is just plain concrete. Covered in oil, paint, spilled fibre-glass resin, blood...

Simon

Painted my shed floor 15+ years ago, as the concrete was new at the time had to acid etch it first then apply a clear sealer before putting the top coat on.

Years ago a local gauge use to just use grey PA10 on theirs and just repaint it when required.
Bryan NZ

Peter
When we were in France I had a garage of similar size and I bought ceramic tiles for the floor ,if you decide to go that way I know of a good tiler, if not Toolstation in Weymouth keep floor paint.

I used Ronseal diamond hard garage floor paint on a clean smooth concrete floor. It didn't mix to a consistent colour, didn't dry and started coming back up after a month or so.

If I park the car with wet tyres then the paint sticks to the tyres and comes up in great big flakes.

Homebase gave me a full refund so I didn't end up paying for it. That's about the best thing about the whole experience.

I'll use an epoxy paint next time around.

Peter

I have painted two garage floors in the last five years and from experience can recommend Regal Paints. They have a technical department who are able to give advice when asked about suitable materials and finishes, depending on whether it is a new or old floor. Several friends have also used their products and all praise them for sound advice, excellent service and I think reasonable cost.

I used light grey two pack paint and it has proved durable and dried well enough in 24 hours to apply the second coat. I do recommend doing it properly, with the correct material and don't skimp, the results will I think you find stand hard use and retain it's good looks. Oil leaks, there have been several, ahem, are simply wiped up and the occasional moping brings it back to a good finish.

You will find them on the web.

Fitting out my new workshop, trying to find the box of screws I know is here somewhere!!!nbz

Oxford Jack
the occasional moping brings it back to a good finish.

I do that a lot, Jack, but the floor is still no better. I must have used a lesser class of paint.

Regards, Stuart

Thanks for all the feedback chaps, looks like epoxy is the way to go,just got to decide what colour to chose and YES I tend to spill things as well.

stuart ulph
Oxford Jack
the occasional moping brings it back to a good finish.

I do that a lot, Jack, but the floor is still no better. I must have used a lesser class of paint.

Regards, Stuart

Need to take more lessons from the fragrant Mrs Ulph I would suggest