Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Steering Column

I suppose that's one way of doing it!! No not tried heat yet. Is then tube it is attached to, steel? How is it attached to the nut at the bottom?

Yes, steel tube. Someone may know better but I think it might be brazed into the nut.
Regards,
Stuart

As discussed in an earlier posting the control bracket tube is a tight fit in the brass thrust piece in the steering box. It is a steel tube and too much twisting is likely to break it at the bottom. The diecast control bracket is replaceable and I think it would be better to break off the stuck one and not damage the tube.

Tony.

Thanks very sound advice. I think ishould stop the twisting and go for the levering.

Think you're right - the softly-softly approach is obviously not going to work.

I'd start by driving a tapered wedge into the split in the clamp and seeing if that has any effect.

Rick

SUCCESS - a large right angled screw driver with a large ring spanner hooked through it making a tool about 18" long and twisted against the steering wheel nut with a number of obligatory grunts. Damage not too bad - part of the clamp has broken and part of the end of the tube seems to have delaminated and stuck to the alloy of the disc, but not a disaster. However if anyone knows the whereabouts not a replacement alloy ign/gas disc please let me know. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cherished suppliers keep the Gas/ignition control plate. It's part No BM128 in the A7Components catalogue.

Thanks for that.