Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Not being sold for what he says it is!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-prewar-vintage-race-car-/161773378603?hash=item25aa71dc2b

Buyer beware, this car is being advertised in a very suspect way. The car has no pre war history. The only bit that is pre war is the completely standard Ruby it sits on. It's unsuitable for racing as it sits too high. Has zero GN content, but does use the body that Fred Giles built onto his post-war special built for VSCC hill climbing.

Bert Hadley may welcome it at events, but I couldn't be sure, it certainly wouldn't be VSCC eligible.

Sorry if I am being harsh, I admire the enthusiasm that the guy put into building it, but to claim that the car was "found and recommissioned" is completely false.

8K for a ruby with a £200 body on it. People really are mad. What on earth is the reserve?

Re: Not being sold for what he says it is!!!!

Doesn't the Bert Hadley Championship require an Austin radiator shell/grille?

The circuit photo is not of the same car.
It's the GN Beetle in its late 70's vee twin format

Charles

Wasnt the body alone for sale a little while ago?

He hasn't wasted the cut off ruby chassis extensions either,the're cleverly turned into the radiator shell.

I had forgotten about the Bert Hadley requirement for an Austin rad shell. So what could you use it for.

I do like the chassis extension radiator shell. But to claim it is a pre war racing car with any provenance is just stretching credibility to the limit.
If you know who is bidding on this let them know what it really is.

I asked what I thought were a few pertinent questions; his answer carefully sidesteps them all, whilst continuing the myth that it is an historic car:

"Thanks for the question! The details of this car is alittle sketchy as it was a barn find and and can only go from what the previous owner has told me! The car was rolled and severely damaged and was never rebuilt until I obtained it. The car is far from as you put it bog standard the engine is ten inches further back in the chassis and is only slightly breathed on and was done so pre Phoenix or hadley cranks and is of old school technology it is running a standard carb as I've found it better for road use"

The body was offered for sale a couple of years ago (the current owner of 'Beetle' was offered it but had no use for it). There was a plan then to build the old body up on a Seven chassis which appears to be what has now happened. Bateman Page 46 - 47 tells the correct story of the body and it's build date of mid 1970's.

Steve

I'm pretty sure that the body was offered and I think sold a few weeks ago on ebay, so who knows......?

If he has used it on the road I wonder if he has a proper reg for it? The tail still has the reg from the original car on it.

The engine in it, when I saw it, was a standard 3 bearing engine, with a zenith and cast iron manifold. The float bowl was used to secure one end of the bonnet strap.

Looked to me like a completely standard Ruby that may have been found in the barn and then quickly turned into a special.

Exactly Dave. I suppose that's the big worry for those of us that know the real car and the owner. That some buyer starts to try and claim the registration number for this creation. Given the situation with historic cars and registrations at the moment, that's the last thing we want.

Steve

I suggest someone who is worried about that particular issue reports the issue to ebay...?

Or you could go and lynch the guy.... it is what he deserves! But at the very least I second Jon's suggestion, the stupid part about it is that if he were to advertise it honestly he would probably still have sold the thing.

he's back in the clear - new info on listing!

I'm not supporting the chap, but surely a successful final bid would just fall through if the description was inadequate in the eyes of the buyer when they finally wake up and ask questions. (so no loss, just a big timewaste for the final pick up perhaps)

And then it becomes distrusted goods in the eyes of the buying public when it's relisted.

The more I look at it the more it grows on me, It would look a lot better when lowered, but lets face it the body cost £378 and it is a very simple body shape to build, a good weekends work to make with the right equipment, put on top of a what is probably still registered as 1936 Ruby saloon,on top of that where could it be raced? Please tell me who is daft enough to pay £8544 reserve not met for it. Please put me in touch with them, as I have a couple of 1936 Ruby chassis here and a bit of spare time.

He is not entirely in the clear, he is still trying to deceive and mislead the potential buyer into thinking it has a provenance that is simply not true. I hope he gets his comeuppance, people like this do immeasurable damage to the old car movement, let alone what is does to the poor sod that falls for his lies. There is nothing wrong with the concept of putting the body on a Ruby chassis and with a little more work it could make an interesting and unique special, but quite obviously the intention all along was deception.

For interest - There are several images of the car here: National A7 Rally

Steve Jones

Exactly Dave. I suppose that's the big worry for those of us that know the real car and the owner. That some buyer starts to try and claim the registration number for this creation. Given the situation with historic cars and registrations at the moment, that's the last thing we want.

Steve

to be fair, it wouldnt have taken 2 mins for the previous owner to peel off the stickers........

Hedd Jones

to be fair, it wouldnt have taken 2 mins for the previous owner to peel off the stickers........

Or the current one Hedd....
However it does give a visible link to "authenticity" and "age" (cynical, aren't I?

Charles

I've just looked at the DVLA site and tried DTC 374 as GN, Frazer Nash, Frazer-Nash and Austin.
"Vehicle details could not be found", maybe it belongs to no one.

Ah, but if you key DTC 374 into mycarcheck, it comes up as a Frazernash (Sports). I haven't tried it yet, but presumably it's on the DVLA as a Frazernash.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Yes, it's under Frazernash - Taxed until 1st December 2015, first registered 17 February 1939, year of manufacture 1939, 1990cc, colour black.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Charles P
Hedd Jones

Or the current one Hedd....
However it does give a visible link to "authenticity" and "age" (cynical, aren't I?

Charles

and me (cynical), perhaps thats why the previous owner didn't peel them off?.

Cant have your cake and eat it.

It seems to be stuck just over £8500 now, for the life of me I cant see why anyone would bid that much.

Although not a fan of specials, this at £6000 seems so much better value. And you CAN drive it on the road!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-SEVEN-MASON-SPECIAL-/252042086044?hash=item3aaee1069c

that is just what I was thinking! AND its got a phoenix crank AND a great decal on the dashboard...

A genuine provenance, competition history, lots of good bits, what more could you want from a 60's special

The seller now appears to have changed his ebay i.d.!

Alan Swift
It seems to be stuck just over £8500 now, for the life of me I cant see why anyone would bid that much.

Although not a fan of specials, this at £6000 seems so much better value. And you CAN drive it on the road!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-SEVEN-MASON-SPECIAL-/252042086044?hash=item3aaee1069c

Interestingly the second more recent special is also for sale here...

http://www.750mc.co.uk/classifieds,complete-austin-seven-racing-package10000_5837.htm

regards
brett

BRETT FORD
Alan Swift

Interestingly the second more recent special is also for sale here...

http://www.750mc.co.uk/classifieds,complete-austin-seven-racing-package10000_5837.htm

regards
brett

The car on its own on ebay seems like better value than paying for stuff like a race suit that probably won't be the right size.

BTW, Apparently, my eldest brother Ian helped Nev build that car. I certainly can remember Nev helping out my brothers at our garage "at home" when I was a young kid. Can also remember Nev and Pat Mason at 750MC events back then.

The auction has ended and the Reserve was not met.
Let us hope all the bidders have seen this thread and react accordingly.

Was at Prescott on Sunday with an offers around £10,000 sign on it. I was not impressed.

Trying to sell at Prescott yesterday! Take a close look!

photo DSC02543Med.jpg

photo DSC02546Med.jpg

photo DSC02559med.jpg

photo DSC02547Med.jpg

photo DSC02541Med.jpg

UJ 8724

mycarcheck says 'Austin Ruby (Saloon)'.

DVLA says' Vehicle details could not be found'.

Looking at the length of the steering box drop arm I'd think the steering is interesting too,1/2 a turn lock to lock ?

DVLA records show the make as Austin Ruby (that's why you couldn't find it,Henry!).
First registered 31 December 1936, 747cc, Colour Maroon, Tax not due.

Oh dear, the DVLA will be all over that one like a cheap suit!

Ivor Hawkins

why? it ticks all their boxes, body over 25 years old (with sufficient provenance to prove it) and major parts from one vehicle. Sure the body type needs to be changed, and the way things are it'd be prudent to see that done before money changed hands. It's an interesting case for sure.

Andy

well at least the body is over 25years old......

Andrew Cooke
Ivor Hawkins

why? it ticks all their boxes, body over 25 years old (with sufficient provenance to prove it) and major parts from one vehicle. Sure the body type needs to be changed, and the way things are it'd be prudent to see that done before money changed hands. It's an interesting case for sure.

Andy

It's that change from Ruby saloon to single seater/sports/racer that's the big box to be ticked Andy!

But who would want a 'racing'car that handles and performs like a Ruby? No one in their right mind.

Paul Harris
But who would want a 'racing'car that handles and performs like a Ruby? No one in their right mind.

The prospective buyer may have no intention of using it on the road and just build it for hill climb and competition. A lot of race car owners have no real interest in road cars or the associate registration issues. Just as long as the prospective purchaser is aware of the cars true provenance?

Paul Harris

Come to think about it, its all mouth and no trousers, isn't it. Has anyone got a Ruby that handles like a racing car? That would be the bees knees...

Given the quality of the build would you feel safe racing it, even at ruby speeds

Ian Williams
Given the quality of the build would you feel safe racing it, even at ruby speeds

My Pearl is not a Ruby I admit, but, with 3 the Bearing engine, it would pull a genuine 70mph (which was "genuinely" terrifying), it will now cruise at 60 mph on two bearings but not a lot more, are Rubies the best analogy?

Ok fair point, I did not in anyway intend to be disparaging about Ruby's, I just look at that steering arm and after my recent experience it scares the bejesus out of me at any speed.

I totally agree.

That horribly bodged drop arm wouldn't pass even a cursory roadworthiness test here, and I would hope a half decent race scrutineer would fail it!
This is the sort of unsafe modification - along with dodgy brake alterations that the recent Victorian VicRoads Club registration regulations are trying to stamp out.

We can complain about the 80 year old designs not being up to modern requirements but that is the whole point of the vintage movement - careful rebuilds to the original specifications with as far as possible original components, driven with a careful attention to the fact that it is a car designed when 20 mph was the allowable maximum speed

I would suggest that your DVLA should be concentrating on vintage vehicle safety rather that a slavish attention to controlling the rash of reconstructions masquerading as real vintage cars- but that is just my opinion!

Rant over!

Tony.

Next people will be suggesting that all cars go through an (annual?) independent safety test before they are allowed to take them on public roads (rolls eyes and exhales audibly).

1 2