Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Window winding gear

Hi, Austin, if your looking for window channels ? I make them

Had a similar issue with the driver's window mechanism on our slightly larger Austin, plus the quadrant and pinion gear had many stripped teeth after 75 years useage,then I came across this thread. Unfortunately P6 Rover mechanisms aren't easy to find here-and are quite pricey when/if you do find one. Fortunately Austin/Morris 1100 & 1300 ones also can be modified/used for spare parts and are a lot cheaper and easier to find. Many Thanks Gentlemen

Hi Nick

It is a long time ago, I had to trim the housing on the replacement part (I think this part is pretty common to many UK built cars, including commercials, I have seen modern LDV vans produced into the 21st Century with the same window winder design), the gearing was the same, but the clutch spring & housing were bigger than the originals, which is why the housing had to be trimmed, I seem to remember that I had to grind a bit off the window winder frame to get it all to fit neatly.

Take both apart and you will see how it all goes together, it is really quite a simple arrangement.

The replacement has been working well in my car now since it returned to the road earlier this year, the only problem I have now is wear in the arm pivot points so the glass does not rise up squarely, I have to manually adjust as it reaches its closed position. I will be drilling out the pivot bolts at some point & replacing these with something better, a job for the winter!

Hope it all makes sense!

Austi,
Yes complete with glass, also two windscreens and two rear windows.
not sure about using this capcha "dukyme"

Thanks very muck Gary, I,ll have another go when I can fit it in to my busy schedule