Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RK door pillar

Howard, as a fellow 1930 RK owner, you have my sympathy for having to deal with previous poorly executed repair work. Austin In The Shed's picture clearly shows bow slender and upright the pillar should be as it is mostly a metal channel with a timber member inside. You need to contact Malcolm Watts Email: watts7@hotmail.com as be has a photographic record of his mega rebuild of his RK and can help you.

All the best - you will get it right I'm sure, Bryan.

Howard

The hinges on my fabric saloon are screwed directly to the door post. There are wooden blocks screwed along the length of the door post (except where the hinges are situated) which take up some of the gap.

See http://flic.kr/p/kRn6kr

On the rear post, the door jamb is created in the same way, by addition of wooden blocks screwed to the door post. The catch is screwed to the jamb.

If it's been messed about with, make sure you have something to take the weight of the door when it is closed to prevent the door from dropping. My doors have a horizontal lozenge shaped metal piece attached to the door that slides into a receptacle on the rear door post.

Peter

Thanks Austin, Bryan and Peter

I've now bitten the bullet and planed down the near side pillar and am busy rebuilding the aluminium around it. The door seems to fit quite well with about 1/4" all round (and its square!). Move onto the offside next week.

Once again thanks for your contributions

Howard

Hello Howard
The Cornish Austin Seven Club website has an article about the restoration of a 1929 RK saloon (Reg. VJ 2044). This may be useful.
Dave

Dave Martin
The Cornish Austin Seven Club website has an article about the restoration of a 1929 RK saloon (Reg. VJ 2044).

This is Malcolm Watts' car that Bryan mentions above.

Here:
http://www.austin7.org/Joys%20of%20being%20a%207'er/An%20RK%20Saloon/

Thanks All

I had seen this. Its quite informative and ends up with a very nice car.

I've now removed the pillar and the nailed aluminium along its edge, shaved about 3/4" off it to remove the rebates for the hinges and installed a piece of aluminium that restores the nearside to almost what it would have been when it left the factory.

photo IMG_0268_zpsrnbktzsr.jpg

I haven't done anything with the floorpan so the pillar is still slightly wider at the top scuttle level but the doors fit nicely and I've checked the bonnet and cowl and both fit without too big a gap. The aluminium was riveted and then brazed with durafix rods and will now only need a skim of filler. There was about 1/4" of filler on the original repair.

Thanks again for all the help

Howard

Very neat job, well done :)