Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
16 inch wheels/tyres

My Microplas bodied special is back on the road, its tyres are due replacement due to age, and the wheels are a little tatty but serviceable.

Presently it is on 450x17 Avons on Ruby wheels.

The wheelarches suit the present wheel/tyre size, going smaller will not improve its looks. Going bigger will obviously hurt performance.

I have been looking at some Big 7 'easiclean' wheels to fit, as they are typical 1950's special to go with the bodywork, but I am not sure what sort of tyre they use.

Can anyone with a big 7 tell me what size tyres they use?.

Looking at what is availible, the 550x16 Excelsiors seem to match the 450x17 Avons for size more or less (within a gnats dick). Or perhaps the 500x525x16 Watmaster which is a smidge bigger and wider.

Is there anything else (save for the lugs) that I should watch out for?. Are the offsets similar?

Re: 16 inch wheels/tyres

Hedd,

My 'Dunlop Tyre Size Popularity' brochure for 1934 to 1947, lists two tyre sizes for Austin Seven 1939 - 4.00 x 17 and 4.75 x 16, presumably the 17" being late Ruby and the 16" Big Seven. The 1939 to 1947 Austin 8 was 450 x 17.

I see Vintage Tyres do a Firestone 450/475 x 16 @ £139.00 + VAT - 665 mm diameter x 121 mm section width x 97 mm tread width.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Shinko E240 Classic are worth looking at for a 16 x 4.50, not strictly a car tyre but look fairly right fitted and have good grip.

The Pitman's book says 4.75 x 16

The one wheel of mine I can get at easily has 500 x 16 on it.

S

The excellent folk at Longstone Tyres have put all the dimensions of all their tyres on their website, very useful indeed and surprising how much two tyres nominally of the same size but different manufacturer vary. W

Yes Winston, been there done that, hence my guesses.

Father had a 4.50 x 16 in stock, NOS Dunlop. Was nearly 3 inches smaller in diameter than the 400 x 19 on the **** end of his Box.

I've bought two big seven wheels now, and may well fit them on the front with smaller OD tyres as the front is a tad high in my view, then fit something with a similar OD to present on the back when I get two more wheels.

Does anyone have a cad file of the wheel studs and disky thinks on the drums?. I'll need to make a spacer to fit the big seven wheels without molesting them.

Just been to LIDL to buy some lunch, daughter did about 200miles in the box yesterday, so its this ones turn today

Hedd,
Did you receive my Email?
Bryan

Bryan, yes. I hope you got my reply.

One of the two big seven wheels in my possession has a 475 x 16 on it. By measurement it is a whole inch (640mm dia) smaller in diameter than the quoted size of the availible Firestone 475 x 16's (665mm dia)

It looks like the 500/525 Excelsiors may be favourite (660mm dia).

The 450 x 16 Avon tourists currently fitted are quoted at 680mm dia

Except that is with the Shinko steer (difficult to get here), I've been looking at bike tyres. The Avon SM MkII looks good in the 500 x 16 size at 669mm dia(rear motorcycle tyre). does anyone have experience of these on anything?

Love the pic with your little gurl!

I have one of a similar age.... How does it work with the law regarding her going in the front with no seat belts..... Maybe my Milly can go in my two seater!!! :)

Best

Pete

The car has now gone to new home. But she (Nerys) has her own Box saloon. She is in terms of car seats law now an adult on height. So totally legal wherever she sits with no seat belts required.

If she had been shorter the law is a little grey as you probably know. Allowed in the 'back'. Surely in a 2 seater the 'front' is also the 'back'?

She is only 8 bless her. But she can drive my car, we didnt try hers as it had poorly springs (now fixed). Her clutch is nicer than mine so she will be ok.

We shall be out in her car tommorrow night hopefully. At the Tavern Inn near Cheswerdine