Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How many miles have you done today?

Brian Hutchings
Regarding the above message about driving 2 miles out and 2 miles back, here is the reason!
 photo P1120072_zpsqpfkuuiz.jpg

Well easy to see the oil level now, have you thought about replacing the missing bit with perspex?

Was there any in it?. Id have expected there to be oil all over the crossmember and radius arms with an expiry like that.

Brian,
Please let us know what caused this disaster. My sympathies.
Dave.

Oxford Jack
Brian Hutchings
Regarding the above message about driving 2 miles out and 2 miles back, here is the reason!

Well easy to see the oil level now, have you thought about replacing the missing bit with perspex?

I like that idea Jack.

Brian - do you have replacement? Happy to give you one if not.

Ruairidh Dunford
Oxford Jack
Brian Hutchings

I like that idea Jack.

Brian - do you have replacement? Happy to give you one if not.

that is what it is all about!

Hedd Jones
Was there any in it?. Id have expected there to be oil all over the crossmember and radius arms with an expiry like that.

Hedd, there was oil everywhere but it doesn't show very well on the picture.
I check the fluids and the tyres regularly and especially before a trip out.

I think that this should be transferred to a new post with a different title; what do others think?

My vote- yes, new topic please.

Tony.

The earlier posts have been transferred to

'Hole in 3sp Gearbox'

50 miles round trip through the New Forest, got lost once, to a BBQ. Car went well, still need to fix the Dynamo so running on battery.

well I only did 48 miles up ythe A30 and around the Farnham area also taking in a late lunch making 249miles on the new engine in the Rosengart, running in is so laborious but a nescessary evil.

Saturday evening I went on a run in the Nippy to a "Duck & Chips " bash with other old car enthusiasts at a town called Castelnau Magnoac here in France. Got completely lost on my way home. Ended up on my own in the middle of nowhere, only the 6volt glow of the lamps to guide me. Got home in the end with no problems. A good fun evening and the Nippy got a lot of compliments. Some were confused though, as they thought my Nippy was maroon, not red. They didn't know I'd bought a second one.

Not sure of actual miles as the odometer drive gear in the speedo has even less teeth than me. Probably about 40/45 overall. Trip down to Bridport to take a tour around "The Alleys" antique shops, a short hop to Symondsbury Kitchen for lunch,back on the road to Abbotsbury Tropical Gardens for coffee. Car going like a rocket since a few hours of TLC.

Did 90 miles in the maroon Nippy CUF229 today. I headed in the direction of the Spanish border. Stopped for a coffee in Arreau, then a beer in Aragnouet. I'm trying to put miles on it to run it in. Done about 400 to date. I'm sticking to between 35 to 40, trying to keep it humming along and not under any strain. It smokes a bit when I pull off and I had to top the oil up when I got home. Hopefully it's ok.
The first shot shows the stunning scenery here. Second shot taken in Arreau and third shot in Aragnouet. You can see where they are if you type these place names into Google Maps. Out to the mountains again tomorrow, up the Col de Aspin, but that will be on an old motorbike.

photo IMG_20150820_1658041_zpse5qvagwi.jpg

photo IMG_20150820_1527171_zpsxjhuahhk.jpg

photo IMG_20150820_1611001_zpsedk9opwn.jpg

Nick, find some hills it will help to load the rings so that they bite and bed into the bores.

My experiences back up your comments Ian, the best and most successful engines I have in my cars were all run in on hills.

Ulster: Bristol - Brittany - Strasbourg - Col du Schlucht - Berchtesgaden - Salzburg - Grosslockner - Cortina d' Ampezzo - Genova - Grd St Bernard Pass - Megeve - Le harve - Bristol (around 4000 miles).

Pearl: Glasgow - Nevers - Bort Les Orgues - Gorges Du Tarn - Mont Aigoual - Cirque du Navacelle - Mont Ventoux - Col du Bonnette (Europe's highest pass) - Col du Vars - Col du Lautarret - Col du Galibier (one of my favourites) - Simplon Pass - Lugano - Como - Stelvio ( :) ) - Tubingen - Luxembourg - Belgium - Glasgow (3385 miles)

Chummy: Glasgow - Newscastle - Bergan - Stryn - Molde - Kristiansund - Trondheim - Namso - Bodo - Lofoton - Bergan - Nescastle - Perth - Glasgow (this was around 4000 miles again).

I have found over the years that it takes quite varied driving (loading the engine as you say) to bed the rings in well (I almost always use SW pistons and rings). Initially they burn oil but but after a variety of revs and daily use they bed in properly and the engines mentioned above burn about a pint of oil every 2000 miles.

I have also noticed that, following full rebuild and after 2-3K miles, engines get noticeably stronger and smoother, the more they are then used the sweeter they run.

Are you suggesting revving them in a lower gear on hills or labouring them a bit ?