Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Four Speed Synchro Gearbox Challenges

Well all you Austin Seven gearbox experts, I would like some advice.

After 3 gearbox changes to our 1938 Pearl in the five days before the Yorkshire Experience I had to return the borrowed gearbox. I therefore decided to build up the Super Accessories close ratio gears that I bought in 1968/9 and had never used. I was interested to see if it would be tractable in the mildly tuned Pearl (large inlet valves, ported, Paul Bonewell cam and followers and Nippy carb and manifold). During assembly I had difficulty fitting the brass bush in the first motion gears. The hole seemed slightly oval. When the box was fully assembled it displayed a worrying tightness at one point of revolving the first motion shaft. I carefully checked for any problem with the new bearing and for any foreign bodies in the lay gears or other, to no avail (without complete dis-assembly). My thoughts were that the first motion shaft gear and/or lay gears had been distorted in the new gear production process.
I then proceeded to re-fit the box to the car and try it out. As expected the gearbox made a loud noise when first started up. I took the car for a short drive and the noise seemed to be lessening.
So my question is; will the gears bed in and in which case will it do any damage or am I wasting my time and start again?
I'm going for a longer drive this afternoon and will report back.
Thanks in anticipation
Martin

Re: Four Speed Synchro Gearbox Challenges

Martin

Assuming your constant mesh close ratio set are straight cut?

I have such a close ratio box in my special. If the noise lessens with use, I dread to think what it was like when first assembled!.

I think what I am saying is either my gearbox is duff, or the noise stays.

Clearly its much quieter in top.

I have 3 Super Accssories gear boxes, one of which I assembled myself from a selection of bits and pieces I bought from them after the fire.
All 3 sets have helical 1st motion and are not welded.
My experience is that they run as quietly as a standard 4 speed syncro box.

Yes I've a superacc box too, and it's helical gears.
I know you don't want to hear this advice but if there's a tight spot, you really need to find out why, and fix it, because it shouldn't be there. It could be as simple as a burr on one of the gears, which might account for the noise, or dirt even, or it could be more serious. It doesn't strike me as a good idea to wait and see if it gets better