Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New on Ebay

I think I'm correct in thinking the Nippy had a bowed front axle and flattened springs? May be wrong..

Dave Prior
I think I'm correct in thinking the Nippy had a bowed front axle and flattened springs? May be wrong..

You are correct Dave,

originally it would have had an axle and spring like this:

Clearly it has been changed for a standard one at some point - not uncommon if you could not source the correct sports parts.

The front shocker is unfamiliar to me too. Early?

Hedd Jones
The front shocker is unfamiliar to me too. Early?

I looks to be from the same source as the engine.

Why the mirror image??? Patent reasons??? Gord

Gord French

I believe it simply worked better that way round for LHD as the exhaust didn't get in the way of the steering gear.

The Dixi and the early American Austins were fully licensed by Austin, so I assume that there wouldn't have been any patent issues.

For me there is no doubt. The car is a Willy Overland Crossley, built in Berlin. The front axle is not original, just as the German nameplate is made subsequently. But clearly seen is the engine: (BMW) DIXI, Bosch alternator, Solex carburetor, three-speed transmission. The outside mirrors are typical of the '50s in Germany.
Greetings from Duesseldorf

Martin Prior
Gord French

I believe it simply worked better that way round for LHD as the exhaust didn't get in the way of the steering gear.

The Dixi and the early American Austins were fully licensed by Austin, so I assume that there wouldn't have been any patent issues.

Odd that it doesn't appear to be a problem on my LHD 37 Opal.

I wonder.......Missouri's not too far, I haven't had a Seven for years...hmmmmmmm

Gord French
Martin Prior
Gord French

Odd that it doesn't appear to be a problem on my LHD 37 Opal.

Go save it Roger, I would.

Helmut Kasimirowicz
For me there is no doubt. The car is a Willy Overland Crossley, built in Berlin. The front axle is not original, just as the German nameplate is made subsequently. But clearly seen is the engine: (BMW) DIXI, Bosch alternator, Solex carburetor, three-speed transmission. The outside mirrors are typical of the '50s in Germany.
Greetings from Duesseldorf

Helmut, do you know when WOC finally ceased production? All of the references that I can find suggest that it was bankrupt in 1933 and closed in 1934. This Nippy, however, claims to have a 1936 Austin chassis number. Mysterious!

Hello Martin, mine WOC is a New Ruby from Feb. 1937. In the book Austin und Willys aus Berlin is a list that Willy's sold cars under one litre till July 1939

Martin Prior
[Helmut, do you know when WOC finally ceased production? All of the references that I can find suggest that it was bankrupt in 1933 and closed in 1934. This Nippy, however, claims to have a 1936 Austin chassis number. Mysterious!

It confused me as well - from 2005...

photo 50754256-462B-4601-9EF7-5DEE14B74226_zpsgve9f09k.jpg

photo 36C12AA1-9E3E-4320-AC1B-A247AAB9DFEB_zpsmfrfveal.jpg

It's astonishing, isn't it, that the Austin Seven has had a dedicated, enthusiast following for over ninety years and has been the subject of a huge amount of serious historical research for at least fifty and yet fundamental uncertainties like this can still arise. Fascinating!