Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Austin seven builder looking for a guide

Hi Oli - this is what you need

Woodrow's Manual

Rick

Thank you that looks fantastic

Hi Oli,

Welcome, post some pictures on here and we will try to assist you, besides Woodrow there are several publications that would help, however be warned there are a few flaws in all of them that could trip the inexperienced. I would strongly suggest joining one of the Austin 7 clubs and getting to know some of the old hands, they are generally very friendly and willing to help new members. The Bristol area is well served in this respect.

Great to see new enthusiasts coming along. If I might make a suggestion I'd recommend starting with a smaller project like a lawnmower/moped/motorcycle engine. This will give you a handle on first principles and the way things should go together in an easier form and allow you to make the odd mistake (we're all still doing that I'm sure) on something that is not too critical.
Above all, enjoy yourself!

Hello Oli and welcome to the clan. The Woodrow book is a must for anyone dabbling in Austin Sevens.
The Austin Seven Association website (http://a7ca.org/)is a mine of information as are the Dorset A7 Club and the Cornwall A7 clubs.

When I was 16 would likely be advised to practice on a Seven before attempting anything as valuable as a lawn mower. 3 speed bicycle hubs were my speciality. But with the current UK prices for Sevens and parts Duncan's advice is very appropriate. You will then possibly avoid duplicating the ravages of many "mechanics" accustomed to the super high torque of every nut and bolt on modern cars.

Bob Culver

This is where my dad comes in. He has extensive knowledge of working on old cars and he's told me the Austin won't be too hard with the right instructions and his help

Oli Chamberlain
This is where my dad comes in. He has extensive knowledge of working on old cars and he's told me the Austin won't be too hard with the right instructions and his help

He's right, Oli.

I bought my first ruinous Seven just before my fifteenth birthday and with no previous experience got it through an MOT just in time for my seventeenth. What's more, my dad was as much use as a bicycle to a fish when it came to anything mechanical!

My son and daughter both started working on Sevens at about your age and have never broken anything (much).

Good luck with the car!

Oli,

good luck with your project it sounds very exciting and will be a lot of fun.

Can I recommend the Bristol Austin seven Club to you, they have a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/bristola7club?fref=ts and their own website here: http://www.ba7c.org.

I addition to this they have two monthly meetings, an excellent magazine and around 10 weekend events a year plus a Rally. The Club also has it's own Second Hand parts store (see below) which you will find invaluable I am certain:

photo P8130030_zpsvh0yzmjn.jpg

photo P8130031_zpsygkuycsk.jpg

photo P8130032_zpsxqanzqpg.jpg

photo P8130033_zpsbpwqyiux.jpg

Sorry to hi-jack your post Oli, but would anyone have a Doug Woodrow manual for sale that I might purchase please, without the need to delve into the Ebay mire.
Many thanks
Graham.

You can get a copy here Graham http://www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#bookshop

Thanks a lot. That looks like a really good link. It'll be very useful as the only part I know I don't have is all the body work

Many thanks indeed Ruairidh, I'll order one this evening.
Apologies again Oli.

Oli, you mentioned at the start that you're not sure what model you have. Do you have a chassis number or any other ID for it?

If you're not sure where to look, try a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf

Definitely look at joining a club. The best thing to do is find knowledgeable people you can talk to. I started off on my own but was very lucky to meet the right people who have taught me way more than I ever expected to learn by myself.

The books are great (essential really) to have but are often full of things that aren't much help if you don't already know about them. "Check part X for excessive wear" comes up a lot and that's hard to do when you've only ever seen the one you have!

Simon

Oli - At your age and with no experience it's vital that you join a Austin Seven Club, and the Bristol one is as good as any (although in Australia I was a member there for many years). Main reason, you need someone knowledgeable to go through your bits and determine what model most of them suit - then you can concentrate on bringing to life a recognisable year/model. If you however only have a mixture of bits, then a Special would be the go. Good Luck. Bill in Oz

Simon’s observation applies particularly to ball and roller races. Books typically say to reject for roughness or shake. A single hair from a cleaning brush, or a sliver of soft steel rolled into tho the track will make a perfect bearing sound terrible. Yet minor pits, first sign of failure, do not. Side play is characteristic of many races and is correct for many applications ie gearbox mainshafts, rear wheel bearings. I have replaced many races unnecessarily over the years. A knowledge of the characteristic of the vehicle is important, and the likely future use. The likes of diff a/c bearings can be reversed for a new life. All surfaces should be examined in good light for any trace of pitting, or corrosion, or roughness due particles, or indentations. Bearings removed by others are always doubtful as do not know how been treated.
Seven pinion ball races are heavily loaded and should always be replaced.

Bob Culver