Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Locating OW 1137

Austin 7 OW 1137 (chassis: 143676, engine: 284980, car number: B4-6875, original reg date: 5 November 1931, model: RN saloon) seems to have dropped off the various A7 clubs' radar, but I have a written account of it's rescue and restoration in 1963, plus three colour photos taken the following year (at that time painted yellow and black). The pictures are typical 1960s 2x2in prints, so are easily emailable even at photo-quality resolution. I already have them scanned as part of our family archive.

Paul Sanderson: sanderson-by-the-sea@hotmail.com

Re: Locating OW 1137

Paul,

Well according to DVLA it's taxed until July 1st 2016 but is now painted maroon. Date of first registration is as you say 05 November 1931.

Last recorded on the chassis register in the year 2000.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Many thanks Jeff - at least it is still being looked after and still in the country. And repainted too!

I know little about pre-War cars - I'm mainly a 1950s-'60s Wolseley-Humber-Triumph sort of bloke - but I suspect maroon is a more suitable colour. That said, I do know why the car was painted yellow.

Crossed fingers: let's hope the owner sees this and gets in touch.

Best regards, Paul.

This whole resurgence of my interest in OW 1137 comes from being engaged in scanning old family photos, and identifying who is who in them before it is too late! I've been doing some more tonight and one thing which has turned up (and which I've scanned) is a very extensive newspaper clipping from an Isle of Sheppey newspaper in 1964 detailing the story of OW 1137, and revealing that it won a Concours d'Elegance prize and 'best dressed private car' in the Sheerness Carnival procession that year. One of the three photos I have is of the car lined up at the Concours d'Elegance.

A day later to the above entry, and two more items found concering OW 1137. The first is another picture of the car on the Isle of Sheppey shortly after its restoration, and the second is a 1958 postcard showing the location central to the story of OW 1137's discovery in 1963.

Paul Sanderson

Yet more scanning of family photos (23 October 2015), and two more images of the car have surfaced. This time they're from when I tracked down the car in 1992 and took some photos of it in its storage in Suffolk. There is also a letter from the family of the owners of the car at that time. Photos and letter have been scanned and added to OW 1137's archive, and await being claimed by the current owner... whoever that may be!

looking for KK7124 chassis No 1151 can any one out there help ?

I'm still waiting for BGU 282 to re-appear. It was my first car, a Mk 1 Ruby. I know it still exits as it has been on SORN for a long time. About 8 years ago the then owner sent me a photo of it after it had been restored. But where is it now? It was in the Leeds area.
I really would like to see it before it is too late.
Vince Leek

Jon,

KK 7124 would appear to be an Austin Seven (Light Van). DVLA have it as 'Untaxed' though oddly not SORN'd as the tax was due 14th August 2014 - if it was taxed prior to August of last year, then presumably it should be currently SORN'd ?

Date of first registration: 01 November 1923 - Colour: Red

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England