Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Travelling light in our A7 to France

Tomorrow my wife and I set off early in our 1930 Austin Seven saloon to make the 224 mile journey from Stafford to Newhaven which will be a hard day’s drive. Then next day we cross the channel to Dieppe to participate in the VSCC LC&E Section’s Rally d’Ailly in France. The Rally promises to be a lot of fun, with various activities the climax being a dinner dance at a chateau next Sunday. There are other Forum contributors on the Rally, Steve Jones, I think, being one of them. Following this, we plan to make a five day tour of Normandy staying at quite small hotels where we hope to indulge in local cuisine with a glass or two of wine.

My wife has been eagerly awaiting the event and planning her wardrobe enthusiastically! The dress code we were instructed was “Light Car tidy” i.e. no builders’ shorts or flip-flops! I did make a request early on that we should try to travel “light” so as to make the most of our meagre 10 bhp and moderate power to weight ratio. She said if I would prepare the car and attend to the needs of our garden, she would do the packing.
The following is her idea of travelling “light” and trying to pack our luggage into our Seven!

photo DSC_0253.jpg

photo DSC_0256.jpg

photo DSC_0260.jpg

After much protesting we eventually got down to this:

photo DSC_0248.jpg

Re: Travelling light in our A7 to France

Wish me luck for next Summer Bryan - 4 females and me!!

I won't showing them your photos, not even the "lighter" version!

Have a great holiday and regards to Steve et al.

Steve and Ange set off on Saturday and have had three days in Brighton which I think will have been a bit wet and windy!
Apparently the Madeira Drive was closed on Sunday for over a thousand bikes and scooters to have a reunion at the Ace Cafe.
I don't know whether Steve is a Mod or a Rocker (or Mads and Wreckers as my Grandfather used to call them!)
Hopefully the remnants of tropical storm Henri will have fizzled out by the time the VSCC festivities begin.
It is amazing how much luggage you can get in an Austin 7. I was assessing the space in the tail of the Ulster the other day, surprising how large it is as long as everything can fit through the spare wheel hatch.
Steve is easy to spot, he's the one in the black RM saloon with a glass of something in his hand!
All the best for a super trip.

Good heavens Brian! I darent let my wife see this. I rationed her to one overnight bag for two weeks in France last summer. (And even then she managed to leave some behind in an hotel in Rouen)

I look forward to reading about your experience

Good luck on your adventure !

What a lovely looking A7.
Wishing you and your wife all the best on the run but do you really need all that luggage? where are the spares going to go?
My wife and me used to go on cycling holidays, a sure way to cut down on luggage!
Just a word of caution, going by ferry from Hull to Europort recently (in a modern), customs were very suspicious about an empty plastic petrol container, wanted to know where it was bought and had it recently contained petrol. He had a good sniff and then called over a colleague for a second opinion!
They eventually decided that I could keep it but in future I shall buy one at a continental filling station.
You really do need one with an A7 if you are going off the beaten track.
Have a good time and keep us posted.

Ruairidh, thank you - looking forward to hearing more about your trip with your four ladies!

Malcolm, thank you, I will make a point of seeking out Steve and Angie.

David and Getz, thank you, we will need your good luck wishes tomorrow!

Brian, thank you - I think your training when packing for cycling could be very useful!

Regards, Bryan.

On our motorcycling trips my wife and I were restricted to one pannier each.Everything for up to 10 days had to go in and if either of us took something and didn't wear it there was a forfeit to pay! (Neither of us ever found out what the forfeit was)
Have a great trip. I love motoring in France, me.
I stick to the "D" roads where possible.

Crikey Bryan.
When my wife and I went on our honeymoon to Norway in our RK Saloon we had all our needs
for our two weeks camping on the back seat below the top of the wheel arches.
However I hope and am sure that you will have a wonderful experience.
As did we!![:[:-)]

And Ian, you'll recall Ray & Phyl Stevens went around France on their honeymoon on one bicycle (a tandem). Ray said it was a great lesson for future trips in their Chummy. Have a great trip in a great car Bryan. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Welcome in France to you all.
I agree with Duncan, avoid all fast and expensive motorways, take our very good N (nationales) or D (départementales) as much as possible.
Good ride!
Renaud
And visit Brittany!