Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What are the rules regarding wings

I was under the impression that mud guards at the very least were necessary to pass an MOT...

My understanding of the regs is that wings are required if it is raining. Make of that what you will!

You would not need them for an MOT as they are not part of the test as such and if they are not there they cannot be tested or examined, but I am fairly sure that you will need them on the road, best to check the vehicle use and construction regulations and to be honest I have seen this question asked on other forums and from the looks of it no one actually seems to know, some say yes others say no and on one site it stated run without them but have them in the boot ready to fit in case you are pulled up as the police can turn a blind eye or slap a prohibition order on the car.

Liam, read you post with interest as I presume it it similar to the issue of wipers on a folding windscreen, which I understand is not required. Re the mud guards I believe it is as others have said not a requirement for MOT but required to make the car road legal. There is a lot of info on the hot rod forums with a number of them not fitting and not being stopped but I did find this which talks about mud or water, but a stone coming out of a tyre hitting a police car following may be an interesting conversation.

Regulation 63 of "The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1078)
Provides for the fitting of wings or mudguards to vehicles to prevent mud or water being thrown up by the wheels or tracks.
63(1) This regulation applies to:
(a) invalid carriages;
(b) heavy motor cars, motor cars and motor cycles, not being agricultural motor vehicles or pedestrian controlled vehicles;
(c) agricultural motor vehicles driven at more than 20 mph; and
(d) trailers, unless exempted by paragraph
63(2) Every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks.

Hi
I would agree but this legislation apply only to post 1986. What does apply to pre 1972 cars?
Back to the drawing board.

Paul Whitwell
Hi
I would agree but this legislation apply only to post 1986. What does apply to pre 1972 cars?

I believe it's the same. It was not retrospective legislation
I seem to recall that pre 1905 cas with a Science Museum exemption certificate are the only new that can legally run wingless.
Hot rodders seem to ignore it for some reason

Charles

[

Charles [/quote]

So do some VSCC members :-)

Charles P
Paul Whitwell
Hi

I believe it's the same. It was not retrospective legislation
I seem to recall that pre 1905 cas with a Science Museum exemption certificate are the only new that can legally run wingless.

Charles

Hi up to now it is still a very grey area.

If it is not retrospective surely they must be a kind of law or bylaw passed pre 1986/1972/1960/1950 or before which define clearly the position.

The situation is quite clear, and it's as Charles says.
All post 1905 cars have to be fitted with effective mudguards, by law. Pre 1905 cars, likewise, unless they have an exemption certificate from the science museum to prove that mudguards weren't fitted when built.
True, mudguards aren't covered by the MOT test, and it's been taken to mean they Arent needed, but that's not the case. The Construction and Use Regulations require them. End of story

Alan
The situation is quite clear, and it's as Charles says.
All post 1905 cars have to be fitted with effective mudguards, by law. Pre 1905 cars, likewise, unless they have an exemption certificate from the science museum to prove that mudguards weren't fitted when built.
True, mudguards aren't covered by the MOT test, and it's been taken to mean they Arent needed, but that's not the case. The Construction and Use Regulations require them. End of story

It's nothing new. Prewar when ERA tested cars on the road with trade plates they jury rigged canvas wings attached to canes across the car.
In my book we get enough privileges in the legislation around old cars. We shouldn't take the pi55 trying to find loop holes for any more.

Charles

ONLY FOR ANGELS

Bugatti owners often run on the road in the UK without wings on the rather tenuous argument that they were not provided new with them in France (or even Argentina!)

Wings should be fitted, my understanding is that they must cover an arc of at least 90 degrees (ie quarter circumference).

Very light aluminium wings are readily available and are easily fitted and removed.

The notion of carrying them in the boot in case you are stopped by the cops is bizarre, presumably you could also carry the bonnet and windscreen in the boot?

Carrying the wings with you came from a hot rod forum,It would appear that the police can slap a prohibition order on the vehicle claiming it is in a dangerous condition under the use and construction regulations and can have the car taken away to a police pound with all the associated aggravation of getting it back, If you have the wings with you, they can be refitted and at least you get to drive the car home.