Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crumbling Chummy...

Bill Sheehan
R - Also, as said the insides were painted black, but note they were always just one thin coat of flat black.

Re the 'flat black' you refer to. Is this the same as 'matt black'? Does this apply to the whole of the inside of the body tub? What about underneath (where some restorers produce a mirror shine). What about rear wheel arches? Most importantly, what about the scuttle in the engine compartment? Peter Relph's recently acquired Nippy has this in matt black compared with the usual gloss you see, and it looks stunning. But is it correct? Should I get a life?

Robin, the remnants of original paint that I have found generally appeared to be a Matt or Satin finish, this includes under bonnet, bulkhead and chassis, I also have only seen a very thin coat inside body panels. In my opinion it is details such as this that make the difference in presenting a vintage car correctly, however I admit to being somewhat anal with a tendency to count rivets. Each to their own, I am quite sure some owners would have polished everything in sight even when the cars were new.

I use matt black inside the tub, under the body, wings, bonnet and on the bulkhead - I like the finish.

Great work R - looks ace!!

Thank you Damian - the ride and handling of the car is transformed, holds the road very well, delighted :)

photo 986F5110-BD45-4A3F-B2F3-E8765C9E5F00_zpsjdzzknmh.jpg

Road???

Looking back at the final details of the job - excellent rebuild of the quite lovely Chummy.
Well done that man!

Tony.

Ditto to Tony's last remarks - a great job. Just thinking, it's a car I haven't borrowed yet, so don't let the Europe trip cause any mishaps to it!! (Subtle hint). Cheers, Bill - unfortunately too far south of Haggisland.