Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Interested in finding EA or E Sports Replica (Ulster)

Hi All,

After many years without something interesting in my garage(my last last was in 1992, a 1976 TVR 2500 M) I am thinking about getting an Ulster Replica in my dotage. Although I lusted after a sports 7 for decades, I've always ended up with something else. Of course, I had my share of motorcycles(Velocette, Matchless, Norton, Aermacchi) and cars(SWB Land Rover, Mini, MGB-GT, TVR and tuned Fiesta) I have always wanted a vintage car. I guess as I've gotten older, I've yearned for an older and less sophisticated ride. I have also learned that while I love tinkering on the mechanics, trying to source really odd ball parts like molded plastic interiors, or fixing rust in Minis, has gotten the best of me. So, to make a long story a bit longer, I'm trying to find out if a sports 7 is really for me and how do I find one. I've learned that the SWB is considered more a true "Ulster" but that I might have to have my body shortened to fit in one(I'm 5'11" and not overweight) I'm interested in an alloy body as fiberglass just wouldn't seem right. I've also heard that the hydraulic brakes may not be the way to go. Just upgrade the mechanicals and get some reasonable tires(tyres). I also understand that doors can weaken the frame. I want to drive it on public roads(no highway/motorways) want some protection from the Seattle/English weather, so a top/hood and side curtains would be good. I would take it to shows and participate in vintage rallies. I would love to do a trial, but alas, though we have the places, there is not the enthusiasm in the community here, YET. Prices on these little gems seem to vary from a few thousand pounds for a "my wife says it has to go" basket cases, to 20,000 quid for a every nut and bolt polished with my son's tooth brush dealer cars. Can anyone help?

Best,

Erich