Return to Website

Ask Eli

Have any questions about Aussies, or dogs in general? Feel free to ask them... I will answer them to the best of my ability. (I am under 2 yrs old but am incredibly knowledgeable for my age.)

Ask Eli
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Skunked

Article:
Hi!

Sorry to hear about the skunk problem.... it isn't a pretty picture.... My human mom told me that Stellamom got it full force in the face a couple of years ago,(hahaha.. Just learned something new about Stellamom).

Forget the commercial prducts! NONE of them work for a direct attack. Tomato juice didn't work too well either. What did work was using a combination of peroxide, baking soda and dish detergent. Mommy used the generic brands. The mixture worked just fine. There are a lot of ratios out there on the net.Mommy used the one given by the vet.....

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately. The chemical reaction produced from these ingredients lasts only a limited time. Mommy made a 1/2 gallon of it and treated Stellamom, rinsed, made another half gallon, treated rinsed then gave her her a regular bath.

1.Wet your dog with water.

2.Work the solution into the dogs coat.

3.Let the solution sit on the coat for no more than 5 minutes.

4.Rinse the dogs coat thoroughly with water.

5.You may need to repeat if the skunk odor is still strong.

6.Give the dog a regular bath with a cream rinse.

You have a Border Collie... Chances are better than even that it's mostly black (like mommy Stella)... Stellamom ended up with some dark chestnut highlights at the tips of the fur, not even enough to detract from appearance in the ring...They actually enhanced the coats appearance in the sun...

You may notice that for a short while, if your dog gets wet it will have a hint of the old skunk odor. That's when all that money Mom wasted on the commercial products was put to use. They seem to be okay for residual odor only.

Have fun and hold your nose.

Eli

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to Original Article:

Hi!

My BC was at the north end of a south bound skunk and now he smells awful! Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Ginny