Return to Website

Ask Eli

Have any questions about Aussies, or dogs in general? Feel free to ask them... I will answer them to the best of my ability. (I am under 2 yrs old but am incredibly knowledgeable for my age.)

Ask Eli
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
agility nipping

My 1 1/2-year-old aussie just started agility training very recently. She is a natural and we are having a blast. One problem is that she hass begun the old puppy habit of nipping at me while we are running sequences. My instructor has suggested just ignoring the behavior. The nipping seems to be getting less as she and I become better at agility but it still happens quite oftern. Did you have this same experience and do you have any suggestions?

Re: agility nipping

Article:
My human Mom had that problem with me. She let me know that it was not acceptable to nip her by stopping immediately, grabbing me by the collar, looking me in the eyes and saying "no bite". She then made me do the last obstacle over again and gave me a treat when I did it porperly without nipping..... It didn't take long to learn that getting carried away, forgetting myself, and turning on the herding character was not going to be rewarded by praise. But darn it.... It's just soooo hard for we Aussies to contain our excitement sometimes!!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to Original Article:

My 1 1/2-year-old aussie just started agility training very recently. She is a natural and we are having a blast. One problem is that she hass begun the old puppy habit of nipping at me while we are running sequences. My instructor has suggested just ignoring the behavior. The nipping seems to be getting less as she and I become better at agility but it still happens quite oftern. Did you have this same experience and do you have any suggestions?