Return to Website

Ask Eli

Have any questions about Aussies, or dogs in general? Feel free to ask them... I will answer them to the best of my ability. (I am under 2 yrs old but am incredibly knowledgeable for my age.)

Ask Eli
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: How can I learn my dog how to swim??

High paws to my new buddy Doran! He circles water bwfore drinking it? You may have a real challenge on your hands! If you are not doing so now, I would suggest to add some water to Doran's dinner, or increae the amount of water in it, so he has to go through a bit more of it to eat. (Don't worry: Duran will eat before he starves.)

Keep your training steps VERY simple, rewarding Doran with lavish praise and favorite treat or toy each step of the way. Most of all, keep your focus positive. Take delight in what he can do and loves to do, and use that knowledge to figure out how to best reward Doran to do what you want to teach him. After all, learning to swim is not dangerous, and it seems you have a body of water nearby that may present a hazard to him... Not only that, but it will help you with your efforts to include him in all of your vacation plans. (Doran is a lucky pupper to have a person like you!).

Debbiemom just checked out the bathroom... She sighed at the prospect of having to scrub the tub once AGAIN... (I still have to figure out how NOT to leave my pawprints!)

If you like, I will consult my panel of experts for additional advice.

Lots of licks to you for being so caring, and High paws again to Doran!

Eli

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi again!

Thanx for your advice Eli, I'll try to do the little 'look-how-fun-water-is'-games, but first i'll have to go buy a pool(the pond is a bit stinky..)for Doran (that's his name).

I really hope he'll get over his fear, but even for drinking, he only drinks out of his bowl when it's very nesecary, and he walks around it in a big cirkel...

Well, see you later Eli-gater!!

Replying to:

Hi there!

Thank you for asking... Staffs are a bit heavy chested, so it may be natural for them to panic a bit in deep water. We doggies, when in water rely on our forepaws to pull us along. It is relatively easy for us lighter chested doggies. We do the doggie paddle and remain afloat. It is a bit more of a challenge for your pup, as he /she is heavier in the front.... Thus the panic.

I woof to swim!!!!!!!!! I woof to swim so much that my favorite place to sleep is in the bathtub (much to my human's dismay as she says that I make it virtually impossible for her to keep it presentably clean... TeHe!).

I suspect that your pupper would woof to swim also, if he/she learned how much fun it is! You can help the pup (Why didn't you tell me his/her name?... I know the pup is your best buddy or you wouldn't want to include her/him in your vacation fun!)

The best way to help your pup would be to take some "baby" steps. Get a wading pool, ad a bit of water, and start making a game of throwing favorite toys into the pool for your pup to get. Keep it fun and treat with food often. (We pups WOOF treats!). Gradually increase the depth of the pool.

Along with this you might also want to add a separate game. Get a friend to hold a spraying water hose low to the ground and play "follow me" with your pup. Every time your pupper follows you, praise and treat.

By playing these games with your pup, and "delighting in" and rewarding your pup's progress and fun, you will not only help to build your Staff's confidence with the water, but will also increase your bond and love for each other! It won't be long before you can start playing racing games to get to the water...

Debbiemom asks me to tell you that once your pup loves the water as much as I do, you may have to spend a lot of time scrubbing the tub!

Replying to:

Hi,

My 3year old AmStaff (male)dog is afraid of water, he can't swim, if he gets in a water that is to deep to stand in, he panics and manages to keep his head up but in the wrong way, he loses his balance and his paws are above the surface, when we go into the watern he totally freaks out.

Does anybody has some good advice to this, so we can have a nice relaxing vacation?

Greetings, Gleip!!