Return to Website

Ask Eli

Have any questions about Aussies, or dogs in general? Feel free to ask them... I will answer them to the best of my ability. (I am under 2 yrs old but am incredibly knowledgeable for my age.)

Ask Eli
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: running with Mike--by pepper

We Aussies are a hearty breed. We can herd sheep all day (my favorite activity), play at agility (Yes, it is a game to us!), do search and rescue, go hiking and join our humans while biking.

It sounds like your person has your best interest at heart, and is working you up in distance gradually. I bet that Mike has also taken you to the vet, just to ensure that you are in tip top shape!

There is no reason that he can't go 15 miles with you, providing he continues to increase the distance gradually and the Vet has given you the okay to do so.

I'm sure your person listens to you more than you think. Just let him know if you are reaching your limit.

Oh... Before I forget, don't run into any skunks!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My name is Pepper ( blue merle) I am almost 2 and I am a female I am kind of small 31 pounds and in very good shape.... that is where my question comes in ....

I love to run in the woods with Mike while he rides his mountain bike.... over the last few months we run a little further each time and we currently run 10-12 miles about 4 days a week....

He gives me water regularly as we run ... and I feel fine. I get very excited when I see him getting his bike clothes on cuz I know soon I will get to head to the woods... Yipppee!!!

Mike is concerned as to how far and how often I should run... I think he would like to go 15 miles or a little more....but he loves me and does not want to overdo it...

I try to tell him I will let him know if it is too much.. but you know how well they listen to us....

please let me know what you think