Return to Website

Ask Eli

Have any questions about Aussies, or dogs in general? Feel free to ask them... I will answer them to the best of my ability. (I am under 2 yrs old but am incredibly knowledgeable for my age.)

Ask Eli
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Aussie Questions???

We do not need salon grooming, but our coats do need to be brushed frequently and nails do need to be trimmed. We also tend to shed rather heavily once or twice a year.

Merle females are more prone to deafness???? NOT. Deafness is not sex related although it is most often color related and is (in Aussies most often caused by having two merles as parents, and a pup having a merle gene from both parents. The hearing loss is due to the inner ear hair cells lacking pigmentation. Inner ear hair cells need to be pigmented to transmit sound.Most often (but not always), homozygous merles have white coloration where it does not belong.

You really should be more concerned with choosing a puppy that has the right temperment for you, rather than choosing by color. That is where most people make a major mistake when purchasing a puppy. Our beauty is our downfall.

Hints on how to take care of us? We need a lot of play time, school time, exercise and a job to do. If you do not have the time for our activity level, get another breed.

BTW: I like a lot of treats! *G*

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Okay, right now I have a pomeranian/poodle mix named Mackenzie. She is two years old. But, I am thinking about getting a new dog, and I was thinking about a Australian Sheperd. I heard that they do not need much grooming? Is this true, if so, please tell me how much, like once a week, or two times a week. Also, I would like a merle female, would this be good, because someone told me that they are more prone to deafness, and all that? Thanks a lot! And, if you have any more little hints at how to take care of this beautiful breed, it would be greatly appreciated!