Return to Website

Ask Eli

Have any questions about Aussies, or dogs in general? Feel free to ask them... I will answer them to the best of my ability. (I am under 2 yrs old but am incredibly knowledgeable for my age.)

Ask Eli
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: Growth

Re: size. WE have 2 pups and they may b a mix we are not sure. How do we know if they are a mix? What is the normal size they attain and weight? What is a "blue merle" One of my pups definitely has the blue look. The other has a little of it. They both have the white stripe on their face. Do all aussies have that? Is there a certain mix of colors that tells if they are full aussie? I have read some of the descriptions but would like another few sites to check them. I know I ask alot but we had no idea aussies even existed till we got our 2 at the pound in Sept about 6 months after my Daisy died of pancreatitus. She was a husky shepard mix and a wonderful beautiful white and tan dog. Thanks for this wonderful site, Mary Ann

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Article:
Not always!

We get taller as we get bigger during our puppy growth stage only. For the vast majority of we Aussies that is the first six months. We Aussies obtain our maximum size very early in life. In most lines, we will grow in height less than one inch after we are six months old. For this reason, your human parents should follow the feeding recommendations for large breed dogs on whatever name brand dog food your people may use, even though we are a medium sized dog. After six months of age, we may get a little taller but we definitely get more than a little bigger as our chests and girth broaden out as we become maturer. That is, we develop more substance.

There are other ways of getting bigger without getting taller, also. Mommystella tells me that before me and my littermates were born her tummy area got bigger, because we were growing inside of her. After we were born she shrunk back to her normal size.

The other way to get bigger without getting smaller is to eat too much. Just like humans, we puppers can get fat too.... And just like with humans this is not healthy. However, if your pupper has normal activity and isn't being overfed, and is getting a lot bigger in weight, it is a good idea for the pupper's owner to have a veterinarian check out the pupper for a harmone or endocrine imbalance... because, just like humans, we dogs can have harmone or endocrine problems also.

Replying to Original Article:

If an Australian Shepherd gets bigger will it get taller too?

Re: Re: Re: Growth

You will never know for sure whether your pups are purebred or not. The best you can do is make an educated guess. It really does not matter anyway, what does matter is that you enjoy your pups and they enjoy you! I'm sure you will find all of the answers to your color questions on my page about the "Recognized Colors of Australian Shepherds" by Pam Bethurum at: http://www.jabed.com/rcas.htm .

I am so happy that you like my site.

Lots of licks! Eli

Replying to:

Re: size. WE have 2 pups and they may b a mix we are not sure. How do we know if they are a mix? What is the normal size they attain and weight? What is a "blue merle" One of my pups definitely has the blue look. The other has a little of it. They both have the white stripe on their face. Do all aussies have that? Is there a certain mix of colors that tells if they are full aussie? I have read some of the descriptions but would like another few sites to check them. I know I ask alot but we had no idea aussies even existed till we got our 2 at the pound in Sept about 6 months after my Daisy died of pancreatitus. She was a husky shepard mix and a wonderful beautiful white and tan dog. Thanks for this wonderful site, Mary Ann

Replying to:

Article:
Not always!

We get taller as we get bigger during our puppy growth stage only. For the vast majority of we Aussies that is the first six months. We Aussies obtain our maximum size very early in life. In most lines, we will grow in height less than one inch after we are six months old. For this reason, your human parents should follow the feeding recommendations for large breed dogs on whatever name brand dog food your people may use, even though we are a medium sized dog. After six months of age, we may get a little taller but we definitely get more than a little bigger as our chests and girth broaden out as we become maturer. That is, we develop more substance.

There are other ways of getting bigger without getting taller, also. Mommystella tells me that before me and my littermates were born her tummy area got bigger, because we were growing inside of her. After we were born she shrunk back to her normal size.

The other way to get bigger without getting smaller is to eat too much. Just like humans, we puppers can get fat too.... And just like with humans this is not healthy. However, if your pupper has normal activity and isn't being overfed, and is getting a lot bigger in weight, it is a good idea for the pupper's owner to have a veterinarian check out the pupper for a harmone or endocrine imbalance... because, just like humans, we dogs can have harmone or endocrine problems also.

Replying to Original Article:

If an Australian Shepherd gets bigger will it get taller too?