Return to Website

Ask Eli

Have any questions about Aussies, or dogs in general? Feel free to ask them... I will answer them to the best of my ability. (I am under 2 yrs old but am incredibly knowledgeable for my age.)

Ask Eli
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Life Span

We puppers love to sleep with out people, but we also need a place of our own. I often have a choice of where to sleep, and I cuddle with mom for a while, then sleep in my crate with the door open. I love my crate. It is all mine. When my people go on vacation to a strange place, I have a piece of home with me. Hotels don't mind me being there because I am crate trained. When I have a bone in my crate, Stellamom can't steal it from me.

Debbiemom asks me to tell you that in allowing we pups in bed every night, the people in the house are becoming part of the pack, rather than the leaders of the pack. That is the main problem that you are having with the two pups. They need individual attention as well as a place of their own.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What do u think about sleeping with mom and dad. Sometimes we let them both sleep with us, they are still small, or one with us and one with my daughter. Is this spoiling too much or can it create a problem?

Replying to:

Are Aussies known for digging? Hahahaha! A lot of dogs are known for digging. Digging is related to our personality and intelligence rather than breed. Some dogs dig and others don't! Digging a hole and burying my bone is the very best way to hide it from Stellamom. (If she sees it, it's hers and is lost to me forever!)

Stellamom, on the other paw, hates the heat. She digs to expose cooler earth to lay on. (She also tried to dig a den for we pups before I was born!)

Debbiemom doesn't like us to dig and spends a lot of time filling in our holes. They are easy to find and re-excavate though. She can never find all the dirt that we removed. *G*

Replying to:

Ok I know I'm yacking alot tonite. Are aussies known for digging too? My 2 love to dig, and eat stones, or at least chew them to death!

Replying to:

Hi There!

The average life expectancy, so Debbiemom tells me, appears to be 13 yrs. Don't be dismayed, some live longer (and some shorter). I guess that's why it's called an average. Just enjoy Rigel, and do with him what he loves and is able to do. Keep him as active as possible. You might want to ask your vet about giving you some Glycoflex for him. It helped my Uncle Trapper quite a bit, as well as others I have met.

You also might want to consider getting Rigel a young'un so he can help you train the pup. Uncle Traps taught me a lot! I might warn you though, that he also taught me the fun things he liked to do, like digging holes to get to the cooler dirt in the summer... TeHe. I can't wait until I'm an Uncle. I have LOTS of great tricks to teach!!! You know, what every pup needs to learn, but their humans don't want them to!

Lots of licks,

Eli

Replying to:

Hi Eli! I would like to know what the average life expectanc is of the Aussie. My Aussie, Rigel, is almost 12 years old. Because of his facial coloring, he does not show the usual greying muzzle of other breeds, it's always been grey! This past year he seems to have suddenly gone from being 'my baby boy' to 'hey there, old man'. He has developed spinal arthritis, and his eyesight and hearing have significantly deteriorated. Those items aside, our Vet says he is in excellent internal health. I know our sunshine times are over, and we have been sharing the quieter glow of twilight.........but can nightfall's peace be far behind?