Return to Website

Ask Eli

Have any questions about Aussies, or dogs in general? Feel free to ask them... I will answer them to the best of my ability. (I am under 2 yrs old but am incredibly knowledgeable for my age.)

Ask Eli
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Temperment?

I just got a male Aussie puppy...YAY! He is a little over 3 months old. But I have noticed that he is pretty skittish. I have only had him for 6 days, will it just take longer for him to get used to me? I already notice a big difference from when I first brought him home. When he is around strangers, he wont let them pet him...he backs away. Also, I am trying to teach him to sit and to come, but he either ignores me or lays down right away. Any ideas???

Re: Temperment?

Congrats and lots of licks to my new Aussie buddy! Your pup came to you in the middle of a "fear imprinting stage". We pups go through certain stages of mental development as we grow in size. It is really impossible for me to tell you if this is part of his personality, or a reaction to his new environment. Though we Aussies can be reserved with strangers, we are not shy or scared. The best thing you can do for the pup and for yourself is to find a good obedience school (one that rewards positive positive behavior rather than punish the negative) an get your new buddy into a puppy kindergarten class. Not only is it fun for us, but it will help you to understand your pup better.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I just got a male Aussie puppy...YAY! He is a little over 3 months old. But I have noticed that he is pretty skittish. I have only had him for 6 days, will it just take longer for him to get used to me? I already notice a big difference from when I first brought him home. When he is around strangers, he wont let them pet him...he backs away. Also, I am trying to teach him to sit and to come, but he either ignores me or lays down right away. Any ideas???