Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
That is the question.......
….and I think the answer is plain. The message "forum" is meant to be just that, a place where people meet to chat; Thank you Roy, Pauline and Roland who have been encouraging but the evidence is there; it has became almost a solo act.
Views: 5   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2019 1:07pm
by Harry Dixon
Le Tour... It's that time again...
The grand depart is from Brussels and it finishes in Brussels - because it's a time trial.
Views: 59   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 12, 2019 3:24pm
by Harry Dixon
"Pinafore"
"He polished up the handles of the big front door. He polished up the handles so skilfully The now he is the ruler of the Queen's navy." Gilbert and Sullivan satirised the follies of the Victorian age and we sometimes smirk in the certainty that it couldn't happ...
Views: 30   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2019 1:14pm
by Harry Dixon
A Sensible Solution......
...to the problem of taking cruise "ships" into Venice, avoiding crashing into the dock and polluting the lagoon with human turds: A (smaller) cruise "ship" than this caused huge damage to itself and the dock and could easily have killed people. Il Piccolo has...
Views: 61   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 30, 2019 3:17pm
by H Dixon
National Service
Bill Shortland was a very frequent contributor to the Betfor Journal; he was also a keen member of the Intelligence Corps Old Comrades Association and a regular visitor to the Corp's open day events. He was astounded to find that the depot's museum had no mention of...
Views: 49   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 29, 2019 1:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Bloomsday in Trieste
Il Piccolo today has this photo and the paragraph which follows is a verbatim translation; you'll get the drift: In short, to go around at night for Trieste you risk making strange encounters... especially in this month of June, all dedicated to the celebratio...
Views: 30   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 26, 2019 6:31pm
by H Dixon
Andrea Camilleri.... author of Montalbano books
Andrea Camilleri is in Santo Spirito Hospial in Rome. Il Piccolo reports that he is in a critical condition.
Views: 38   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 24, 2019 6:20pm
by H Dixon
Last Post
Have been informed that "Percy Bartlett" passed away about a week ago.....May he Rest in Peace !
Views: 76   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 18, 2019 1:01pm
by H Dixon
Ray Bannister
Good day to you all, I have recently obtained my father's Army Service records and found that he served with BETFOR from 15/09/1947 and 31/08/1950. He was in the regular army with the REME (Royal Warwickshire Regiment). I would be more than happy to hear if anyone h...
Views: 24   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 15, 2019 9:19am
by Bill Bannister
"Sentient beings..."
Senza parole.....
Views: 79   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 15, 2019 7:27am
by Harry Dixon
BLOOMSDAY
Il Piccolo reports that there will be a festival over several days from 16th to 19th June to celebrate the famous "Dubliner". "Bloomsday, match calcistico tra Unione Svevo e Joyce team e domenica tutti al Pedocin".... …..is the headline but have a look. W...
Views: 35   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 13, 2019 1:25pm
by Harry Dixon
Montalbano - etc - etc ...
There doesn't seem to be any pressure on space on this forum so... 1. Montalbano - Larry always enjoyed Montalbano on TV and it has always been one of our favourites. The author, Andrea Camilleri, has often written about his liberal sympathies and Montalbano has a...
Views: 62   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 12, 2019 7:06am
by Roland
Sorry........
……..I'm not allowed say where this is: This mountain stream has only a short way to go before it flows into a sea loch. In many visits we've only once met another person - and that's how we like it.
Views: 25   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2019 6:22pm
by H Dixon
Montalbano is back
Just watched last night’s Montalbano. He is in Udine at the end and they are talking about Trieste station. Continuation next Saturday.
Views: 23   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2019 10:05pm
by Paula
Larry Southgate
It is with great heartache and sadness that I am writing this to inform you that Larry Southgate (my dad) passed away yesterday afternoon (13.2.2019) following a battle with pneumonia, which sadly he lost.
Views: 244   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 31, 2019 2:29pm
by Micaela Iasnig
WHY.......
…..oh why would anyone want to shoot one of these? Yet some tw..s in tweeds are willing to pay huge sums of money to do it.
Last Post: May 30, 2019 2:54pm
by H Dixon
Looking for any information about my father's service in Trieste, 1945
I hope this message forum is not completely redundant! My father, Philip Henry Hawke, (known as Pip), served with 13 Corps Signals in and around Trieste in 1945-1946. I have photos of him and others at the Officers' Mess in Sistiana. He told me very little about h...
Views: 98   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 30, 2019 1:42pm
by H Dixon
Girod'Italia.....
….starts tomorrow in Bologna. Here's our usual cycling photo; Simon Yates, second last year, is said to have a good chance.
Views: 65   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 26, 2019 4:05pm
by roy boyles
El Tram - running again but.......
...not for the public.Il Piccolo has this photo of a car waiting for the tram to pass; there is to be one each day but Joe public can't use it.
Last Post: May 26, 2019 8:26am
by H Dixon
Southampton Group Lunch
Just a reminder that the Southampton group will be meeting on Thursday 30 May starting by 12 at Gusto in Commercial Road. Anyone is welcome to join this lovely group to share memories, chat about experiences or just enjoy each other’s company over an Italian ba...
Views: 31   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2019 7:09am
by Paula
Art Exhibition in Trieste
Il Piccolo had this on the website a few days ago. It's by Angelo Ingani, a 19th century artist. I doubt if the scene is a Trieste one but, when so much "art" these days looks like nothing you've ever seen, I think it's excellent.
Views: 22   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2019 1:29pm
by Harry Dixon
TEATRO ROMANO
On Trieste's tourist trail, tucked in off the Corso, is the Roman theatre. Il Piccolo has an item about the archeological digs which are going on there at present. The picture shows a group of students listening to one of the archeologists explaining what is goin...
Views: 21   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2019 11:51am
by Harry Dixon
El Tram
In my inbox this morning and leading the field was Il Piccolo telling me that the tram had been u/s for a thousand days since this happened: Interesting - but hardly urgent.
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 14, 2019 7:36am
by Harry Dixon
Missed it......
We usually mark the end of the war in Europe on 7 May - but we missed it. These young ladies were rehearsing for a parade to be held to celebrate: No prizes for guessing where.
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 10, 2019 7:29am
by Harry Dixon
Bunthorne's back.......
Reginald was the chap who started off this message board when the "interim" became censorious and was allied to the Filthistan trio - anyhow that's all ancient history and the message board is nearer to its end than its beginning. Bunthorne used to set a puzzle from...
Views: 51   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 8, 2019 6:28pm
by Harry Dixon
Villa Necker
Il Piccolo's website has a photo of Villa Necker. There is an article outlining the building's military history, mentioning Napoleon but not the building's role during the time of the FTT and AMG. I never had any occasion to go there but I think it was used as HQ for...
Views: 35   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2019 10:59am
by Harry Dixon
Al via i lavori di restauro del Museo ferroviario di Campo Marzio a Trieste
Work on retoring……...railway etc etc My email from Il Piccolo this morning began with this "news of the day". A group of railway enthusiasts have been working on this for some time. This is the station which used to serve as the Trieste termina...
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2019 12:32pm
by Harry Dixon
PRIMA MAGIO.......
Il Piccolo has this photo at the head of its website. It reminds me of my first assignment when I joined Ops section in TSO.. It was customary to hold "manifestazioni" (demonstrations) on the First of May; May Day was celebrated here; now it's the Spring Bank Holiday...
Views: 57   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 4, 2019 7:27am
by Harry Dixon
Promises, promises.....
The folks at Bravenet don't often email me - but when they do, I fear the worst. The most recent foretold of an exciting upgrade that is soon to infect our "hosting". I have to confess that I didn't understand anything about the delights that await us in a few weeks'...
Views: 48   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 29, 2019 11:29am
by Harry Dixon
Incompetent National Serviceman, Perpatrated by James S Mcleish
(This is the beginning of Jim's reminiscences. When he sent it to me some years ago it was in meticulous typescript; I scanned it using OCR (don't ask) and it worked well but mistook some letters for others and sometimes started a new line where none was needed. Some...
Views: 174   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 28, 2019 12:43pm
by Harry Dixon
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10