Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Random Jottings
no this is not about travel insurance for the over 80's. Over the past 3 months or so I have received enquiries about the lack of recent BETFOR journals. The readership of this message board is possibly about a quarter of the membership and as is well known many over...
Views: 49   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 15, 2019 6:32pm
by Paula Pakeman
Statues in Trieste 2019
James Joyce now has a companion in the city. Last week Gabriele D'Annunzio was unveiled in Piazza della Borsa and you can read all about it in Il Picolo. It is just a 100 years ago that GD and his companions took over Fiume, now called Rijeka on behalf of Italy. It...
Views: 18   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 15, 2019 6:30pm
by Paula Pakeman
We are to old to get insurance
Post office Insurance.I tried to arrange some insurance for a holiday only to be told that I was to old to be insured?. What a crazy world we are living in I am getting the impression that when you reach eighty you are no longer of any use other than to pay tax what...
Views: 35   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 6, 2019 11:15am
by Roy Walter
Thank you both
Thank you Roland and Harry,it was nice to hear from you both regarding the message board,I hope other members will take the hint.Perhaps at our age our little grey cells dont work like they used to and all things are more of an effort.I enjoyed coming to the meetings...
Views: 34   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2019 3:49pm
by peter saunders
no e.mails
have not had any messages on the message board since 8th august.as a ex member I still like to keep in touch, or is there a problem on the site.regards Peter.
Views: 45   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 26, 2019 8:21am
by Roland
"Cena come Venezia"
…. says Il Piccolo.
Views: 91   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 8, 2019 10:16am
by Paula
El Tram....
If you fancied a trip on the tram you'd be disappointed. This is the replacement bus. I've no idea whether it's been finally shut down and there have been numerous trial runs but...… ( By the way, Il Piccolo's photo works as a video; this doesn't.)...
Views: 56   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 3, 2019 4:24pm
by Roland
Dave Gunning
I have just had very welcome telephone call from Dave. He asks me to put on the Message Board his best wishes to all his former readers - and that I do most willingly. When the phone rang, with a number I didn't recognise, my first thought was that it might be a c...
Views: 49   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 31, 2019 7:14pm
by Paula
Andrea Camilleri
You were right Harry, he was in a critical state but no more. Like Larry I really enjoy the programmes. I had read that they will start filming 3 new programmes early next year. There was also another book out this year and his final book had been lodged with his age...
Views: 64   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 31, 2019 2:08pm
by H Dixon
Puzzles
Two clues have amused young Dixon recently and he has passed them on to me: 1. "Kiss in love story say to make a neat ending." 6 letters. 2. "Not only on the cricket field does this go to fine leg." 6 letters.
Views: 48   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 26, 2019 7:18am
by Bonthorne
Visit to Trieste
Dear members that take time to read my adventures of our annual visit to Trieste we are reduced down to three David, Bill, and my self.It was decided we would visit the graves of the BETFOR members. From the records it was recorded to have thirty one graves.so we pur...
Views: 86   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 25, 2019 9:17am
by Colin Russell
That is the question.......
….and I think the answer is plain. The message "forum" is meant to be just that, a place where people meet to chat; Thank you Roy, Pauline and Roland who have been encouraging but the evidence is there; it has became almost a solo act.
Views: 61   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 18, 2019 4:02pm
by Paula
Le Tour... It's that time again...
The grand depart is from Brussels and it finishes in Brussels - because it's a time trial.
Views: 79   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 12, 2019 3:24pm
by Harry Dixon
"Pinafore"
"He polished up the handles of the big front door. He polished up the handles so skilfully The now he is the ruler of the Queen's navy." Gilbert and Sullivan satirised the follies of the Victorian age and we sometimes smirk in the certainty that it couldn't happ...
Views: 40   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2019 1:14pm
by Harry Dixon
A Sensible Solution......
...to the problem of taking cruise "ships" into Venice, avoiding crashing into the dock and polluting the lagoon with human turds: A (smaller) cruise "ship" than this caused huge damage to itself and the dock and could easily have killed people. Il Piccolo has...
Views: 70   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 30, 2019 3:17pm
by H Dixon
National Service
Bill Shortland was a very frequent contributor to the Betfor Journal; he was also a keen member of the Intelligence Corps Old Comrades Association and a regular visitor to the Corp's open day events. He was astounded to find that the depot's museum had no mention of...
Views: 70   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 29, 2019 1:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Bloomsday in Trieste
Il Piccolo today has this photo and the paragraph which follows is a verbatim translation; you'll get the drift: In short, to go around at night for Trieste you risk making strange encounters... especially in this month of June, all dedicated to the celebratio...
Views: 43   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 26, 2019 6:31pm
by H Dixon
Andrea Camilleri.... author of Montalbano books
Andrea Camilleri is in Santo Spirito Hospial in Rome. Il Piccolo reports that he is in a critical condition.
Views: 48   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 24, 2019 6:20pm
by H Dixon
Last Post
Have been informed that "Percy Bartlett" passed away about a week ago.....May he Rest in Peace !
Views: 100   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 18, 2019 1:01pm
by H Dixon
Ray Bannister
Good day to you all, I have recently obtained my father's Army Service records and found that he served with BETFOR from 15/09/1947 and 31/08/1950. He was in the regular army with the REME (Royal Warwickshire Regiment). I would be more than happy to hear if anyone h...
Views: 42   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 15, 2019 9:19am
by Bill Bannister
"Sentient beings..."
Senza parole.....
Views: 94   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 15, 2019 7:27am
by Harry Dixon
BLOOMSDAY
Il Piccolo reports that there will be a festival over several days from 16th to 19th June to celebrate the famous "Dubliner". "Bloomsday, match calcistico tra Unione Svevo e Joyce team e domenica tutti al Pedocin".... …..is the headline but have a look. W...
Views: 47   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 13, 2019 1:25pm
by Harry Dixon
Montalbano - etc - etc ...
There doesn't seem to be any pressure on space on this forum so... 1. Montalbano - Larry always enjoyed Montalbano on TV and it has always been one of our favourites. The author, Andrea Camilleri, has often written about his liberal sympathies and Montalbano has a...
Views: 77   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 12, 2019 7:06am
by Roland
Sorry........
……..I'm not allowed say where this is: This mountain stream has only a short way to go before it flows into a sea loch. In many visits we've only once met another person - and that's how we like it.
Last Post: Jun 7, 2019 6:22pm
by H Dixon
Montalbano is back
Just watched last night’s Montalbano. He is in Udine at the end and they are talking about Trieste station. Continuation next Saturday.
Views: 35   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2019 10:05pm
by Paula
Larry Southgate
It is with great heartache and sadness that I am writing this to inform you that Larry Southgate (my dad) passed away yesterday afternoon (13.2.2019) following a battle with pneumonia, which sadly he lost.
Views: 258   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 31, 2019 2:29pm
by Micaela Iasnig
WHY.......
…..oh why would anyone want to shoot one of these? Yet some tw..s in tweeds are willing to pay huge sums of money to do it.
Views: 35   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2019 2:54pm
by H Dixon
Looking for any information about my father's service in Trieste, 1945
I hope this message forum is not completely redundant! My father, Philip Henry Hawke, (known as Pip), served with 13 Corps Signals in and around Trieste in 1945-1946. I have photos of him and others at the Officers' Mess in Sistiana. He told me very little about h...
Views: 115   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 30, 2019 1:42pm
by H Dixon
Girod'Italia.....
….starts tomorrow in Bologna. Here's our usual cycling photo; Simon Yates, second last year, is said to have a good chance.
Views: 75   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 26, 2019 4:05pm
by roy boyles
El Tram - running again but.......
...not for the public.Il Piccolo has this photo of a car waiting for the tram to pass; there is to be one each day but Joe public can't use it.
Last Post: May 26, 2019 8:26am
by H Dixon
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10