BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Next Local Meeting
My next local meeting will be at our new venue, Gusto Bistro, corner of Commercial Road and Cumberland Place, Southampton 12.00hrs Thursday 7th April 2016
Views: 73   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2016 4:23pm
by John Barron
James Bridges MBE
It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my beloved Father Captain (Retired) James (Jim) Bridges, MBE on 31st December, 2015 after a long illness. Dad served with the North Stafford's in Trieste in 1951-1953. The funeral will take place in Burton On...
Last Post: Jan 3, 2016 4:51pm
by Lorraine Swann (...
New Year.
Good morning to all the members that take the time to read the website. I wish you all a very happy and healhy new year.Regards Roland.
Views: 132   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 1, 2016 10:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Unexpected Christmas Present.
About three years ago I saw a wall-clock in Lidl, radio controlled and with spaces inside the hour figures to insert photographs. Quite cheap too. I bought it. Took it home and tried to get it set up. It wouldn't work. Took it back and they exchanged it for...
Views: 93   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 27, 2015 11:28pm
by Larry Southgate
GREETINGS FROM NOTTINGHAM
I am about to email all the BETFOR addresses that I have gathered over the past 7 years and there are bound to be a few where I get a 'failure to deliver' straight back again. As a reader on this site you may not be on my list but I think that Dave's regular post des...
Views: 115   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 23, 2015 10:41am
by Bernard Evans
GREETINGS & MORE TALES FROM WALES - Chap 8
Good morning all - Apologies for last Sunday's lack of up-date, "exigencies of the service" is all I can plead! Never mind, to make up for it I have decided it is high time for a new chapter anyway! Welcome to chapter 8. Now before I go any further I must tell L...
Views: 196   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 20, 2015 9:15am
by Dave 796 RAF
LAST POST
This morning we had the sad news that our old mate Fred Greenwood had died. Fred was one of the stoutest defenders of this association when its existence was threatened. It's one of my greatest regrets that I never met him because we've been in touch by phone and ema...
Views: 208   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 18, 2015 6:44pm
by Colin Russell
Headache in the Viala XX Settembre
If you'd been walking down th Viale on Monday evening, one of these large lumps of concrete might have taken the shine off the jaunt. Il Piccolo has a number of photos one of which shows that the building isn't of real stone - it's just cladding:
Views: 57   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 17, 2015 4:38pm
by Harry Dixon
B............Windows 10!
Patient, amenable, willing to believe the best in everybody and everything as I am, I have to confess than I swore several times this morning. The pop-ups inviting me to "up-grade" to Windows 10 got more and more pressing - and bigger - and I heard they'd sorted out...
Views: 128   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 17, 2015 1:33pm
by Harry Dixon
To, maybe, lighten your spirits.
Some other news to take your minds of the floods and the sorrowful news of the passing off the parade ground of our old friend Fred Greenwood. God rest his soul. All the following snippets from the rolling news on Il Piccolo web-site. The Pope has opened the sp...
Views: 92   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 15, 2015 11:29pm
by Larry Southgate
Recent Local Meeting
Our new venue, Gusto in Commercial Road, was a great success, food and service excellent; six members attended. I have provisionally booked our next meeting for 7th April at Gusto. However one member suggested that perhaps to increase our numbers we could amalgamate...
Views: 81   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 14, 2015 2:16pm
by John Barron
D'you remember the smog?
Well, if you do, spare a little sympathy for Northern Italy. Milan Council has just issued a order blocking the use of private transport. Only buses allowed to operate and school children go free on buses to and from schools. Torino has done almost the same and...
Views: 77   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 9, 2015 9:32pm
by Larry Southgate
TRIESTE hits the headlines;
They say you can never keep a good dog down and the following appeared on the website of Il Piccolo this last week. Headlined, it says, quote: Trieste conquers also “The Wall Street Journal”, unquote. In the reporting of a voyage the city becomes defi...
Views: 72   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 6, 2015 10:49pm
by Harry Dixon
Have a chuckle on me.
Fwd: Never question a Drunk Sue Southgate Today at 10:40 AM To Alex Willis Tash tonyholt33@icloud.com Kevin And Sue Sue Borg and 7 more... Message body My kind of humour - love it / Nicky WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER, EVER, QU...
Views: 74   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 5, 2015 9:38pm
by Larry Southgate
A Strangr Tale......
If you copy and paste "A Strange Tale" in to the search box at the top of this page you'll find two posts from last year where I gave the background to my interest in Riccardo Coslovic who was a good friend in Trieste in 1952. Riccardo disappeared from his lodgings i...
Views: 200   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 2, 2015 11:02pm
by Larry Southgate
I was born under a wandering star!
I do seem to have been wandering this year. Started off with a week in hospital in May, then 20 days back in the old city on the Adriatic. Whilst there I got invited to join a group of Italian enthusiasts who go around looking for and finding old vehicles and ma...
Views: 112   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 24, 2015 9:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Energy costs in Trieste.
Anybody out there any good with maths? And is there anybody who bothers to check the cost of their electricity? This appeared on the Piccolo web-site tonight: Electrical energy "very dear". Trieste is the dearest place in Northern Italy. The "record" ac...
Views: 64   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 22, 2015 11:19am
by Roy Walter
Trieste - the "principal hub for cruising in the North Adriatic" ???
Today's headline in Il Piccolo - "TRIESTE, il ministro Dario Franceschini ha confermato ieri il suo convincimento a favore di Trieste hub principale per le crociere in Alto Adriatico," Remember this from Il Piccolo a few day's ago? The Queen Vic was forced to dive...
Views: 137   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 19, 2015 10:15pm
by Larry Southgate
Singing in ..........
the army. We weren't great singers but i remember the best sing-song we had; it was the time there was a Royal Navy cruiser in the bay and we held a mess party for them. It was obvious that they were far more used to devising their own entertainment than we were...
Last Post: Nov 19, 2015 2:08pm
by Harry Dixon
Elusive discount
Toying recently with the notion of a cruise in the med next year,I was reminded that there was a post a while ago regarding discounts for ex-servicemen who were idiot enough to consider such a voyage.Having wasted ages unsuccessfully searching for this item, I am red...
Views: 85   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 13, 2015 2:59pm
by Roy Walter
Letter to a Bank Manager.
Elderly Banking... ..............PRICELESS!! Shown below, is an actual letter that was sent to a bank by an 82-year-old woman. The bank manager thought it amusing enough to have it published in the New York Times. Dear Sir: I am writing to thank you...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 9, 2015 10:19pm
by Larry Southgate
Fred Greenwood
I have just heard from Fred's nephew that he is seriously ill in hospital with a chest infection.
Views: 143   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 7, 2015 4:22pm
by Geoff Fleet
TIME!
I don't know about you others out there but it seems to me that since we put the clocks back one hour, time seems to have slowed down! I keep looking at the clocks I have scattered all round the house and the hands don't seem to have moved as fast as they used to....
Views: 50   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 6, 2015 10:02pm
by Larry Southgate
Was this us??
WAS THIS US? A little house with three bedrooms, one bathroom and one car on the street. A mower that you had to push to make the grass look neat. In the kitchen on the wall we only had one phone, And no need for recording things, someone was always h...
Views: 122   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 9:23am
by Harry Dixon
At my age............
Anyone out there got any more ????????? AS I AGE, I REALIZE THAT: 1. I talk to myself, because sometimes I need expert advice. 2. Sometimes I roll my eyes out loud. 3. I don't need anger management. I need people to stop being stupid with me 4. My p...
Views: 97   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 9:54am
by Dave 796 RAF
"Royals" in the Gulf of Trieste.
There has, apparently, been a “royal” visitor in the Gulf of Trieste. They are talking about the catching in the nets of a fishing boat from Grado called the ‘Uragano’ (Hurricane), of a species of crab called the “Royal Blue”, sc...
Views: 104   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 1, 2015 7:32pm
by Harry Dixon
Great Continental Railway Journies
Just a reminder that Michael Portillo is on one of his trips on BBC2 at 2100 hours tonight when he is travelling from Vienna to Trieste.
Views: 99   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 24, 2015 9:09pm
by Larry Southgate
REME 14 Port Workshop
I have just become an associate member of BETFOR and also just returned from my first short stay in Trieste. My Father was there, and about, from 1945 until November 1947. We have been trying to find his place of work which was, we believe, 14 Port Workshops not the...
Views: 137   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 21, 2015 10:48pm
by Paula Pakeman
Visit to San Marino.
I may have mentioned that I have been invited to a Military Extravaganza taking place in San Marino from 18 to 20 September. Ticket booked for flight to Venice on 17 Sep returning on 22 September. So now I have to worry about getting to Lichfield the next day....
Views: 137   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 19, 2015 6:49pm
by Harry Dixon
Oh dear.............
....it's started! I know, you will have had the same sinking feeling - perhaps for some time now - but it's the time to "be merry" again. What that means, most of the time, is that we'll have stuff shoved in front of us all the time which we simply don't want - and w...
Views: 105   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2015 9:24am
by Dave 796 RAF
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15