Start a New Topic 
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
BETFOR 1952
Hi everyone, I am looking for some information or maybe for someone to point me in the right direction... My granddad Alan Rudge Birkett served from 24/04/1950 to 19/01/1951 with BETFOR, does anyone have any information on this? Any help would be much app...
Views: 157   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 11, 2016 6:47pm
by Kim
Jan Morris on BBC iPlayer
The final moments of the Programme shown on Saturday 8th October when she is interviewed by Michael Palin show TS from her final book(2001)TRIESTE AND THE MEANING OF NOWHERE'. It can be seen on iPlayer for the next month.
Views: 136   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 10, 2016 11:13pm
by Harry Dixon
My Meeting 20th October
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend my meeting on the 20th October as I now have an appointment on that day to have my cataract operation, something of course I cannot turn down. I hope though that the meeting will go ahead with out me and hopefully between t...
Views: 112   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 8, 2016 12:05pm
by Roy Walter
What are the odds...........?
This morning I went to the local health centre for a routine blood test and took a book of crossword puzzles to pass the time - there can be a bit of a queue. i took a ticket, saw there were 7 before me and settled in for a wait. I came to a clue which read, "Rupe...
Views: 98   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 7, 2016 2:15pm
by Harry Dixon
Trooping the Colour 1947
In the journal (well done again Geoff) Edward Lawton tells a great tale about playing in the King's Own Regimental band on this occasion and he would love to see a copy of the programme. There is such a programme at the King's Own Royal Regiment's Museum in Lancaster...
Views: 88   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 5, 2016 8:03pm
by Harry Dixon
PHOTO: Sorry...... but not very.
I've been neglecting my duties in not refreshing this page and picture for a while but I think the photo is excuse enough. We've been in the Highlands. There was no wi-fi and not even a mobile signal except at the pub down in the village.
Views: 164   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 4, 2016 7:17pm
by Harry Dixon
Re: Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chap 11
Good morning all - The summer seems to have deserted us once again this morning and we seem to be in for another wet and windy day. Ah well, press on as the philosophers of old were fond of saying, or so my old Dad used to tell me. And welcome to chapter 11 of this...
Views: 365   Replies: 15
Last Post: Sep 25, 2016 9:13am
by Dave796 RAF
TSO again I'm afraid.
With apologies to the member who complained about the excessive amount of attention given to the tiny, unsoldierlike unit based in Via Coroneo, I have news of yet another former member who has become a published author. You can see a photo of him as he was in 195...
Views: 138   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 18, 2016 2:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Never let your right hand........
THE TRIESTE COUNCIL BEAUROCRATS GOT THEIR KNICKERS IN A TWIST THIS WEEK. 18 September 1938, Benito Mussolini announced, from a balcony overlooking Piazza Unita, to a huge welcoming crowd, the promulgation of the Racial Laws, which forbid the Jews any rights in It...
Views: 64   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 16, 2016 10:40pm
by Larry Southgate
Italy gets upset at UE meeting.
At the meeting of UE leaders in Bratislava, Renzi, the Italian Premier, has fallen out with Merkel and Hollande, saying - "we cannot agree in any way on migrants and austerity". Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, one time President of Italy, who led the country in the troubled...
Views: 60   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 16, 2016 10:26pm
by Larry Southgate
Love thy brother **?......
Headline in Il Piccolo web-site yesterday: KOSOVO calla out halt from Belgrade to Europe. SERBIA, in her negotiations for joining the UE: "We will respect all the conditions, excepting that on the independence of PRISTINA." A short synopsis of the article is...
Views: 63   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 16, 2016 10:20pm
by Larry Southgate
Brace yourselves !
Dave was quite right to fear the worst about the new "advent" - the coming of the greatest merchandising opportunity of the year - and we shall all be the victims. I've already been a victim; I've had two mince pies. The guilty party was the shop I praised so re...
Views: 72   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2016 7:37pm
by Harry Dixon
Pola.
Whilst I was on holiday I took a trip down to Pola. To celebrate the fact that it was 70 years ago that I had spent almost six months there in Monumenti Barracks. They have done a lot of building in the town but most of the old town is still as I left it. The P...
Views: 66   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2016 10:33pm
by Larry Southgate
Has the world slowed down?
Has the world slowed down?? I ask the question because today, it seems, has been the longest Sunday I have experienced for months. Every time I looked at one of my clocks it seemed as if the hands had stopped. Same thing when I tuned in the telly. I was sure...
Views: 71   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2016 10:20pm
by Larry Southgate
Anybody know (or knew) this person in Trieste?
I've been exchanging e-mails with a friend in Trieste and in his latest he tells me his father knew a person called Terry Norris, who was also an Interpreter/Translator. Anybody got any memories?
Views: 107   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 9, 2016 10:30pm
by Larry Southgate
The vanishing population of Trieste.
Headlines in the Il Piccolo website today 6 September. 27 thousand residents lost over the last 25 years. Vertical collapse of the inhabitants: from 230 thousand in 1991 to 203 thousand in 2015. Foreigners represent 10% of the total. On triestine in three is...
Views: 87   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 7, 2016 10:33pm
by Larry Southgate
LAST POST: Frank Hogg (South Lancs)
Our Hon Editor Geoff Fleet has received the following email from Frank's son: "It is with sadness I have to inform you that Frank Hogg (South Lancs, Warrington) has passed away. He died on 14th July aged 86. He always spoke fondly of his time in Trieste and...
Views: 98   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 4, 2016 9:25am
by Harry Dixon
Dove stai adesso, Veccio?
Qui il silenzio e assordante. C'e qualche novita dalla bella citta?
Views: 154   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 30, 2016 3:27pm
by Harry Dixon
Old friends
Recently I have lost two very good friends David Tynan and Gordon Bishop.I am in the fortunate position that I speak to members most weeks and we go over the time we spent in Trieste. If you are one of our members that keeps saying to your self I will Phone an old fr...
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2016 11:08am
by Roland
What a wonderful World Pt 2
Let's ignore the Pokeymind Goers; yesterday we were in a the beautiful Dee valley in wales at a place where the Dee is still young and tumbles with white water and the place names have so many consonants that they would go onto the nest line. On a field there were sc...
Views: 169   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 12, 2016 4:30pm
by Harry Dixon
Holidays
Evening all. I will not be contributing much in the next 15 days as I am going on holiday to Trieste and Tarvisio tomorrow. Back in the UK on 29 August. Cheers, Larry
Views: 91   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 8, 2016 10:13pm
by Larry Southgate
Congratulations in order!
Top of the page on the Il Piccolo website tonight. A few weeks ago a gentleman by the Name of Dipiazza was elected to the post of Sindaco(Mayor) of Trieste. A lovely photograph of the website of Il Piccolo today shows Mr Dipazza at his wedding to a very beautif...
Views: 92   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 31, 2016 9:23pm
by Larry Southgate
Who's who and what's what, Yahizon.
I switch on my laptop, load the icons, click on Google Chrome. Up comes Sky. I click on the link for e-mail, and up comes Yahoo Mail on Sky. Who on earth am I actually working with. And Now that Verizon has finally bought out Yahoo Internet, what is our dear f...
Views: 83   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 26, 2016 10:38pm
by Larry Southgate
Telegraph Fantasy Football 2016-17
If anyone would like to join my league LA DOLCE VITA this season they are very welcome. Check out TELEGRAPH FANTASY FOOTBALL to get the picture ! Season begins 13th August.
Views: 80   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 26, 2016 8:25am
by Roy Boyles
Tank manoeuvres: Trieste and Smeltz
Our Hon Secretary, Roy Boyles has received an email from Geoff which is as follows: "I have been interested with the stories about the American tanks on manoeuvers in Trieste. I was also involved in the evening occasion,we were spread in a large area of our sol...
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 25, 2016 3:16pm
by Geoff Hillyard
What a Wonderful World....
It's a song; It's a book but for some that isn't enough. The wonders of this world are far beyond our understanding and it's impossible ever to feel that you have a true grasp of how it all works - never mind wondering whether there might be some sort of reason behin...
Views: 154   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 24, 2016 9:28pm
by Larry Southgate
LAST POST
Our Hon Secretary has received the sad news of the death of Gordon Clark on 1st July. Gordon served with the South Lancashire Regiment in Trieste in 1951 and 1952.
Views: 100   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 23, 2016 2:01pm
by Harry Dixon
BETFOR marriage registrations
Hello everybody, I am an amateur genealogist from Italy, and recently I have received a few requests from descendants of BETFOR members who married local women during their postings there who wish to prove their ancestry in order to claim Italian citizenship by "j...
Views: 118   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 23, 2016 1:18am
by Arturo Camillacc...
Old Age Pensioner members.
Just got my copy of the latest Journal. Congratulations, Geoff. Excellent. I did notice a piece on the last page asking who was the oldest member of the Assn. May I put my name forward for consideration? Born in Bromyard, Herefordshire, on 7 June 1925. So...
Views: 134   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 20, 2016 9:40pm
by Larry Southgate
LAST POST : DAVE TYNAN - (598)
It is sad news that Dave Tynan (598) has reached the Last Post. Dave had been ill for some time. His daughter, Lynn, told me this morning that he had been in hospital for a month. He served in the MT Platoon, North Staffs Regt. and at one time was the CO's driver....
Views: 99   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 19, 2016 9:30am
by Colin Russell
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15