Start a New Topic 
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Treat well the refugees or else!
Now here's something you don't see very often but it sure is something to think about when you are talking about immigrants: This taken from the web-site of Il Piccolo today: Missing welcome for the refugees: Investigation by the Prosecutors officials> The fi...
Views: 63   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 5, 2016 11:21pm
by Larry Southgate
How is your Engish?
Do you ever read the leaflets inside the box which contains your medicines or pills or products you buy for your health's sake? They generally ask you to read carefully before you use the product. I don’t know about you folks out there but......EYE SP...
Views: 59   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2016 10:35pm
by Larry Southgate
A holiday in Skiathos - how to get there!
Anybody with time on their hands after they get to Trieste could try the following: Catch the ferry to Patras in Greece. Arrive Patras get bus to Athens. See the countryside and the Korinthos Canal. In Athens get the bus to Agios San Caterina. In San Caterin...
Views: 75   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 25, 2016 10:12pm
by Larry Southgate
Hunter gathering.
Just our ironic name for shopping - grocery shopping I mean - one of the most boring and annoying features of modern life. I suppose that's why so many people do it on-line and have it delivered. The drawback to that is that your bananas may be green or bruised and t...
Views: 82   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2016 12:08pm
by Harry Dixon
End of an Era.
THE END OF AN ERA. The following article has been taken from the web-site of Il Piccolo of 20 May 2016. It is a translation of an interview conducted by Piero Rauber, with Signor Illy, of coffee-making renown. It may give readers a little insight into the ̵...
Views: 79   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 21, 2016 5:16pm
by Larry Southgate
From moss to mess.
I read with some envy Dave's post about the crops of fresh veggies produced from their garden and Larry's post about beans and fruit trees. I gave up trying some years ago; if we had to be self sufficient we'd have to subsist on moss and couch grass. I've had conf...
Views: 158   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 13, 2016 6:55pm
by Harry Dixon
Liberation of Trieste
I meant to post this on the appropriate date but the best laid schemes of mice and men........(as a matter of fact I forgot}. I just started to write - when I remembered that I wrote about this some time ago so I've just copied and now I'll paste it: Harry Dixon...
Views: 123   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 9, 2016 11:01pm
by Geoff Fleet
Some sad and disappointing news'
Folks, I hate to inform you but with effect from 10 May yours truly will be out of the country. Should anyone be interested I should, all things being equal, be ensconced in a delightful small hotel based right on the beach in Troulos, on the island of Skiathos. B...
Views: 103   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 9, 2016 8:55pm
by Larry Southgate
BETFOR LOTTERY.
In partnership with Roy Boyles, we have decided to start up a lottery for members of the Association. Just send us, on a plain piece of paper, 6 numbers, between 0 and 500, accompanied by a cheque for £20 pounds. Write your name and address with your membership...
Views: 78   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2016 9:20am
by Roland
Earthquake - 40 years ago in Friuli.
Todays edition of I Piccolo website carried the banner headline of the tremendous earthquake that hit Friuli in the evening of 6 May 1976. The area has today been visited by Sig. Mattarella, the Italian President. I happened to be in Milan that day on business and w...
Views: 68   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2016 10:16pm
by Larry Southgate
Piazza San Antonio
Does it challenge one's faith in democracy? The design with the flat pack structures has gained the most support with 40% of the vote: The one with Victor Borge on the piano got only 8%:
Views: 103   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 29, 2016 10:38am
by Harry Dixon
Something else.
All kinds of e-mails pop-up in my in-box and one last night caught me by surprise. Twas from a lady called Lynne Webb, who is in Trieste with her father-in-law an ex RE bod who has forgotten how to get to San Giovanni barracks. I told her to get a taxi and ask for...
Views: 81   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 25, 2016 10:24pm
by Larry Southgate
Montebello barracks and railway station
Dear Sirs, Greetings from Trieste! I am a member of the local railway museum with which I contribute like a modeller. Many many years ago I knew mr.George Tidey,a corporal who served in a Betfor fusilier rgt and married a Trieste's girl.We spoke a lot about his se...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 25, 2016 10:03pm
by Alessandro Rusin
Untitled
Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate: Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And Summer's lease hath all too short a date: Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, And often is his gold complexion dimm'd; An...
Views: 77   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 23, 2016 2:00pm
by Harry Dixon
Hashish - speed - marijuana.
Did you know that marijuana is not illegal in Italy? In fact, you are allowed to have in your possession 5 grammes for personal use, 5 grammes at home and you can also cultivate 15 grammes for personal use at home. A doctor can also give you a prescription for th...
Views: 57   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 17, 2016 10:56pm
by Larry Southgate
Referendum
No,not the one with which we are preoccupied but a referendum with a difference. Today in Italy they voted in a referendum. Called the Referendum Trivellazione. (trivellazione or, in other words - perforazione - verticale del terreno -- that's understandable wit...
Views: 72   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 17, 2016 10:45pm
by Larry Southgate
Date of next Southampton Meeting
My next meeting will be on 7th July 12.00 at Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton.
Views: 86   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 15, 2016 3:22pm
by John Barron
BETFOR GRAND NATIONAL WINNERS
The annual sweepstake produced cash rewards for John Darby THE LAST SAMURI. Kath Kyne GILGAMBOA. Geoffrey Jarman VIC'S CANVAS Les Bell RULE THE WORLD and last to finish MANY CLOUDS. All have been paid. The amounts will not enable them to change their lives too muc...
Views: 73   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 12, 2016 6:51pm
by Roy Boyles
Book. TITO AND YUGOSLAVIA.
I am just sending a hard cover version of the Richard West (ex TSO) book to Harry Dixon. If you would like to have it after please contact him. It is an excellent read.
Views: 110   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 12, 2016 1:45pm
by Harry Dixon
THE BABY BOOMERS ARE HERE !
the first of them are 70 this week ! Those conceived in the Summer of 1945 just as VE Day or shortly after reach that magic figure from any day now. The term Baby Boomer has only gained wide circulation since the 80's and 90's. All BETFORians are way beyond it of...
Views: 132   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 6, 2016 10:47pm
by Harry Dixon
Terry Crimp
I spoke to Terry's wife today to thank both Terry and His wife for providing the Wine at the A G M dinner.Sad to say that Terry is very ill at the present and cannot answer any e mails.Regards Roland
Views: 109   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 2, 2016 12:01pm
by Roland
International Force for Libya?
Another snippet from the pages of the website of Il Piccolo today. Something which seems to be being ignored by our newspapers. It appears that the Libyan Premier Fayyez al Serraj has been negotiating with certain Western leaders and it maybe that an Internationa...
Views: 48   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 30, 2016 10:19pm
by Larry Southgate
GREETINGS & MORE TALES FROM WALES - Chap 9
Good Morning all – Here we are with a New Year with us again and may I wish you and yours all the very best for 2016, may it look upon you all kindly. Also, as you will have noticed from the heading of this posting, it seemed to be the logical point to start a...
Views: 339   Replies: 18
Last Post: Mar 28, 2016 11:27am
by Dave 796 RAF
Friends will??
Friends: Will say “Hello”. Italian Friends : Will give you a big hug and a kiss. Friends: Never ask for food. Italian friends: Always bring food over. Friends: Call your parents Mr. And Mrs. Italian Friends: Call your parents Mum and Dad. F...
Views: 85   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 27, 2016 9:57pm
by Larry Southgate
Sporting Chance
I well remember supporting Lancashire in the Rugby count championship. The matches were always pleasant, if hard fought - but always played in the best traditions of sporting rivalry. It was good when "we" won but there was no sense that "we" were. in any way diminis...
Views: 139   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 22, 2016 8:17pm
by Harry Dixon
I have learned:
ROM ONE FRIEND TO ANOTHER Take two minutes to read these sayings and be sure to read all the way to the bottom: Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... T...
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 17, 2016 11:09pm
by Larry Southgate
GRAND NATIONAL 2016
I do not normally open the entry list until the AGM (now just 3 weeks away) but today a cheque from Bill and Rose Mills 720 requested 2 horses. The Mills are unable to be with us this time unfortunately and they have previous winning form. 2016 is the 9th year I h...
Views: 127   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 14, 2016 10:20am
by Roy Boyles
Annual Reunion.
I must make my apologies here for not attending the Annual Reunion. I had intended to be there but two funerals during the week, one on Friday 11 March, in the afternoon, took my mind completely off the subject. Twas only this Sunday morn that I suddenly remember...
Views: 81   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 14, 2016 12:51am
by Larry Southgate
Too many letters. Lets ave inglish as she is spoke.
I ave decided 2 join the ranks of todays youth and rite inglish using fuer leters in de words to save space and efort. It's gonna be dificult geting usd 2 but y wury, it mite cach on. Gonna maik the old gray mater werk overtime.
Views: 149   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 7, 2016 4:43pm
by Harry Dixon
Duck quacks don't echo.
I know the weather has been great just lately and you've all been out in your gardens with BBQs, but somebody please say something. Quack quack.
Views: 95   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 4, 2016 10:45pm
by Larry Southgate
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15