Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
ANNUAL REUNION Bournemouth this Friday to Sunday
Six years ago we were at the Collingwood (2009) just as BETFOR was getting back on its feet. Just about 50 are expected to show up at the seaside. Just one cried off this week through illness, hope everyone else remembers. Of course they will ! If you have a messa...
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2015 1:09pm
by Roy Boyles
Anyone for golf?
Fifty Shades Of Golf Four guys have been going on the same golfing trip to St Andrews for many years. Two days before the group is to leave, John's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going. John's mates are very upset that he can't go, but what...
Views: 125   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 9, 2015 11:02pm
by Larry Southgate
The Morgan Line
I helped to guard the Morgan Line in 1950/51. The "line" consisted of a single stand of barbed wire supported by angle iron posts. The whole lot was painted yellow. I have never seen anything in the BETFOR journal that makes reference to when it was constructed and...
Views: 647   Replies: 11
Last Post: Mar 9, 2015 10:56pm
by Larry Southgate
James Joyce
We all know he spent time in Trieste, that he frequented a lot of bars and coffee houses, that his statue stands on the bridge over the canal and that he wrote "Ulysses". His statue shows him as a crumpled suited odd-ball with his hat awry and it's easy to dismiss hi...
Views: 174   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 9, 2015 9:57am
by Harry Dixon
Horses.
WAR HORSES Absolutely beautiful ! Too magnificent not to send on, you'll love the music as well, beautifully played. These horses were originally bred as "war horses" in the days of knights and armor. As armor got heavier, bigger horses were needed and the F...
Views: 89   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 6, 2015 8:48pm
by Larry Southgate
Varicella zoster virus
Morning Members. In other words (Shingles) If you are seventy nine years of age you are not offered shingles vaccine to prevent you catching it.This would mean that very few of our Members if any would be offered the vaccine. IS THIS NOT AGE DISCRIMINATION ????????.
Views: 135   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 4, 2015 10:31pm
by Larry Southgate
Renewing membership for newsletter
Hi I am writing on behalf of my dad Peter Barnes as he is now partially sighted and enjoys his wife reading the BETFOR newletter to him. How much is membership this year and what address do I send the cheque to and who is it made out to? thankyou jeanette
Views: 136   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 2, 2015 3:01pm
by peter barnes
A tip for the oldies.
SATURDAY > Bob, a 70-year-old, extremely wealthy widower, shows up at the Country Club > with a breathtakingly beautiful and very sexy 25-year-old blonde-haired > woman who knocks everyone's socks off with her youthful sex appeal and charm > and who hangs over B...
Views: 97   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 1, 2015 9:08pm
by Larry Southgate
A smile for the weekend.
Read all of this. I just had to share this with all of you. A GLASS OF WINE BEFORE TURNING IN A single glass at night could mean a peaceful, uninterrupted night’s sleep. NEW Wine for Seniors , I kid you not..... Clare Vall...
Views: 125   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 28, 2015 10:33pm
by Larry Southgate
agm
hello I am making an enquiry just to see if the agm at Bournemouth 2015 is still on, I meet with john baron about a year ago at Southampton, my father served 1951-1953, I have a load of photos and stuff which will be off interest, I would like to come and share it wi...
Views: 132   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 28, 2015 6:25pm
by simon
Install a water-butt and save water!
You couldn’t make it up. Today, 27 February 2015, I was walking back to my home from the newsagents when I bumped into my next door neighbour. He queried if I could possibly have a two metre length of plastic downwater pipe. I went into my garden an...
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2015 9:37pm
by Larry Southgate
Granny Bonds.
One presumes that all of our 'silent majority' and members without PCs will have heard and read all about the new 65+ guaranteed Growth Bonds which are guaranteed by the Government and pay a very competitive interest rate (which is compounded over the three year ter...
Views: 138   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 27, 2015 9:32pm
by Larry Southgate
Grandchildren know it all.
Subject: Fwd: Insights from Grandchildren..... 1. She was in the bathroom, putting on her makeup, under the watchful eyes of her young granddaughter, as she'd done many times before. After she applied her lipstick and started to leave, the little one said, "B...
Views: 95   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 26, 2015 8:24pm
by Larry Southgate
Life gets tedious, don't it.
Subject: Ramblings of a Retired Mind I found this timely, because today I was in a store that sells sunglasses, and only sunglasses. A young lady walks over to me and asks, "what brings you in today?". I looked at her, and s...
Views: 100   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 26, 2015 8:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Recipe for a pot of “Jota” Ingredients:
Recipe for a pot of “Jota” Ingredients: 400 gramme tin of kidney beans. Large tin of sauerkraut (approx 1 Kilo) Bacon – 150 grammes Potatoes – 500 grammes Onions – ½ + ¼ Flour – 1 and a 1/2 desertspoons plain flour...
Views: 118   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 24, 2015 10:43pm
by Larry Southgate
A chuckle a day.
A chuckle a day ....... Two Mexican detectives were investigating the murder of Juan Gonzalez. 'How was he killed?' asked one detective. 'With a golf gun,' the other detective replied. 'A golf gun! What is a golf gun?' 'I don't know. But it sure made a h...
Views: 73   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 24, 2015 10:21pm
by Larry Southgate
So it's your birthday
It his my birthday looking forward to my presents from the family could get a new badminton racket a box of 12 bore shells a pair of swimming trunks or some DVDs for the computer.No I get a new Queen Ann chair I will still smile and say just the thing I wanted (liar)...
Views: 124   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2015 9:28am
by Dave 796 RAF
It's a joke!
Emergency Two women had gone for a girls' night out. Both were very faithful and loving wives, however they got a little over-enthusiastic on the Bacardi Breezers. Incredibly drunk while walking home, they needed to pee, so they stopped in the cemetery. One...
Views: 109   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 23, 2015 9:08pm
by Larry Southgate
Anyone for golf?
FW: Best Genie Joke Ever Husband takes his wife to play her first game of golf. Of course, the wife promptly hacked her first shot right through the window of the biggest house adjacent to the course. The husband cringed, "I warned you to be careful! No...
Views: 80   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 23, 2015 9:05pm
by Larry Southgate
Think about it!
So beautiful is this story...... The first day of school our professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder. I turned around to find a wrin...
Views: 101   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 22, 2015 9:51pm
by Larry Southgate
Last Post, Kenneth Chambers. Northamptonshire Regiment.
I have sadly been informed today, of the passing of a Member of our Suffolk Gathering,Ken Chambers, Ken served with the Northamptonshire Regiment, in Trieste. His Funeral takes place at Glemsford,Suffolk Methodist Church on Thursday March 5th at 3-30 pm. Our condo...
Views: 135   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 21, 2015 8:08pm
by Bernard Evans
Il cotto caldo and the 'jota'.
Il cotto caldo and the 'jota' arrive in London on the initiative of two young Triestines who have opened a shop in the city. Translation of an article which appeasred in the Il Piccolo website last weekend. Cooked ham in crusty bread with senape and Kren fly ov...
Views: 192   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 21, 2015 1:28pm
by Geoffrey Jarman ...
G.ood advice
Mother Superior In a convent in Ireland, the 98-year-old Mother Superior lay dying. The Nuns gathered around her bed trying to make her last journey comfortable. They tried giving her warm milk to drink, but she refused it. One of the nuns took the gl...
Views: 78   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 17, 2015 10:36pm
by Larry Southgate
Sarcasm for the day.
Sarcasm for the day ... 1. I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out. 2. I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People move out of the way much faste...
Views: 93   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 17, 2015 10:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Invasive species
I don't rail against the grey squirrel these days because they're the only kind we have in this area - and they are impressive acrobats as they leap through the trees. Only a few miles away there is a large colony of brown squirrels and it's great to go and see them...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 17, 2015 7:38pm
by Harry Dixon
The Pastor's Ass.
The Pastors ASS Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional. The Pastor entered his donkey in a race and it won. The Pastor was so pleased with the donkey that he entered it in the race again and it won again. The local paper read: PASTOR'S ASS OU...
Views: 129   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 14, 2015 2:16pm
by Harry Dixon
With the Suffolk Gang today.
With all the troubles a tribulations among our Members, 15 Members turned up,for what was a very enjoyable Gathering,ending with the rendering by the Betfor Choir,of Happy Birthday,for my eightieth , which now has given me an idea. I am thinking of becoming their...
Views: 127   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 14, 2015 11:59am
by Roy Boyles
Next Regional Meeting
My next Regional meeting will be held at 12.00 on Thursday 7th May at the usual venue, The Encore PH Commercial Road, Southampton. Contact me via e-mail or Tel: 01794 514686
Views: 144   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 13, 2015 3:58pm
by John Barron
Boots, boots, boots.
The Winter Boots (Anyone who has ever dressed a child will love this) Did you hear about the teacher who was helping one of her Pupils put on his boots? He asked for help and she could see why. Even with her pulling, and him pus...
Views: 144   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 12, 2015 11:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Clouds -- Silver Lining ??
About 9 months ago ? Jack decided to go skiing with his buddy, Bob. So they loaded up Jack's minivan and headed north. After driving for a few hours, they got caught in a terrible blizzard. So they pulled into a nearby farm and asked the attractive lady...
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 12, 2015 10:55pm
by Larry Southgate
Man's best friend's hungry.
A RETIREE'S LAST TRIP TO COSTCO Yesterday I was at Costco buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, Necco, the Wonder Dog, which weighs 125 lbs. I was in the check-out line when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog. What did she think I ha...
Views: 87   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 12, 2015 10:10pm
by Larry Southgate
A New Road-sign
Larry has sent me this; it's a suggestion for a new road-sign in Trieste: It's in Trieste dialect, "In case of Bora keep an eye out for flying dustbins" ocio =occhio, "scovazion" (scovazione?) new to me; "covare" is to harbour or be sickening for, and the "...
Views: 247   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 12, 2015 9:26pm
by Larry Southgate
Have yer missed Me?.
Did someone say NO,like a sore Thumb,well tough luck on you watchers. Things have been rather strange since Christmas,every thing seems to pack up working, even this ole sod,now he is approaching the Eighties,has found things happening that he would have brushed of...
Views: 210   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 11, 2015 2:41pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
Some of you may have suffered the morning after??
Flynn staggered home very late after another evening with his drinking buddy, Paddy. He took off his shoes to avoid waking his wife, Mary. He tiptoed as quietly as he could toward the stairs leading to their upstairs bedroom, but misjudged the bottom step. As he ca...
Views: 88   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 10, 2015 10:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Start the week off right!
SISTER MARY ANN'S GASOLINE Sister Mary Ann, who worked for a home health agency, was out making her rounds visiting homebound patients when she ran out of gas. As luck would have it, a Texaco Gasoline station was just a block away. She walked to the station to b...
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 8, 2015 9:10pm
by Larry Southgate
Now, what was I going to post here??
The Explanation Brains of older people are slow because they know so much. People do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe . Much like a computer struggles...
Views: 129   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 7, 2015 11:36am
by FRED GREENWOOD
Crisis in the NHS??
MEDICARE PART G New Nursing Home Plan Say you're a sick senior citizen and the government says there is no Nursing Home care available for you. So, what do you do? Our plan gives anyone 65 years or older, a gun (Part G), and, four bullets.(NRA approved). Yo...
Views: 135   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 5, 2015 10:21pm
by Larry Southgate
Advice for all the older guys out there.
I was working out at the gym when I spotted a sweet young thing walking in..... I asked the trainer standing next to me, "What machine should I use to impress that lady over there?" The trainer looked me over and said; "I would recommend the ATM i...
Views: 112   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2015 10:19pm
by Larry Southgate
A few simple truths.
SIMPLE TRUTH 1 Lovers help each other undress before sex. However after sex, they always dress on their own. Simple Truth: In life, no one helps you once you're screwed. SIMPLE TRUTH 2 When a lady is pregnant, all her friends touch her s...
Views: 118   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2015 9:39pm
by Larry Southgate
Why you did not Get any English beer in December 1951
Morning all. I was going through Lorenzo's disk from Betfor H.Q.papers. The reason given why there would not be any British beer delivered in December was it was being diverted to the troops in Egypt.The reason given was that the local beer was not up to U.K. standa...
Views: 137   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2015 10:10am
by Roland
We need something to cheer us up............
BRITISH HUMOR IS DIFFERENT These are classified ads, which were actually placed in U.K. Newspapers: FREE YORKSHIRE TERRIER. 8 years old, Hateful little bastard. Bites! FREE PUPPIES 1/2 Cocker Spaniel, 1/2 sneaky neighbour's dog. FREE PUPPIES. Mother...
Views: 101   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 4, 2015 9:46pm
by Larry Southgate
A Serious Matter
I know I've been guilty of gross triviality But now is the time to get back to reality. There's a matter besides which everything pales; England are playing a match down in Wales. It's only a game - but try telling that To a chap from Cwmbran in a daffodil...
Views: 114   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 3, 2015 5:03pm
by John Bullshit
INK:....... CAUTION
I've just tried to print out a receipt for my "car tax" but all I got was a blank sheet. I've tried a few other things but the printer seems to be on strike. It MAY be due to the new MoreInk cartridge so, until I can satisfy myself about that i want to withdraw anyth...
Views: 112   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 2, 2015 10:17pm
by Harry Dixon
An intellectual Exercise.
Subject: An intellectual exercise BY- A CHEMISTRY STUDENT The following is an actual question given on a University of Arizona chemistry midterm, and an actual answer turned in by a student. The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared...
Views: 91   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 1, 2015 10:31pm
by Larry Southgate
Never squat with your spurs on!
Never squat with your spurs on! Will Rogers, who died in a 1935 plane crash, was one of the greatest political sages this country has ever known. Some of his sayings: 1. Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco. 2. Never kick a cow chip on a hot day. 3....
Views: 100   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 1, 2015 10:23pm
by Larry Southgate
What's family?
What's Family if You Can't Joke About It? Two boys were talking and the one said to the other, "I found a really great way of getting adults to do anything I want." The other boy said, "How??" The boy replied, "Just tell people you know their secret." The boy ju...
Views: 89   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 1, 2015 10:17pm
by Larry Southgate
The 77 Brigade; newly formed to “win hearts and minds”.
If the idea had been tried in the fifties this might have been the RSM’s introductory address to new recruits: It’s now been decided your country will need yer For a new kind of campaigning by social media. Nah you lot! You’ve signed up for the...
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 1, 2015 8:01pm
by John Bullshit
Fashion!.....What's the point?
Do you remember the clothes worn by the local men in Trieste in the fifties? The jackets had wide, sloping shoulders and a straight-cut back. The trousers tapered to be very narrow and the shoes were “winkle pickers”. I remember because we wore civvy c...
Views: 142   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 31, 2015 9:24am
by Dave 796 RAF
Blonde Jokes?
ENJOY - A Blonde's Year in Review January Took new scarf back to store because it was too tight. February Fired from pharmacy job for failing to print labels..... Helllloooo!!!.......bottles won't fit in printer!!! March Got really excited....
Views: 104   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 29, 2015 9:18pm
by Larry Southgate
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Firstly thank you for letting me post to this forum. My name is Kevin Williamson and I am trying to find out some history of my father (Arthur Joseph Williamson) who served in the Army between 1947 and 1953.I have his service history but he seems to have changed unit...
Views: 263   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 29, 2015 7:52pm
by Harry Dixon
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet