Start a New Topic 
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
WINTERWATCH 111 Wish you were here !!!
Dire weather forecasts of severe weather, heavy snow in the mountains, torrential rains lower down, all leading to raised sea levels, have, together with the Bora, caused the office for Civil Protection to issue safety alerts. Il Piccolo carries a photo of an imagine...
Views: 119   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 4, 2014 1:26pm
by Harry Dixon
Winterwatch 11
At last this glorious and fantastic summer is drawing to a close, and it is with great reluctance I must put away my much cherished roller skates.No more this year will I be able to carefree(ly?) traverse the wonderful promenade of Bognor Regis,(Gateway to the North)...
Views: 151   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 3, 2014 1:24pm
by Melanie Bubbel- ...
Women drivers.
Women drivers from a man This morning on the motorway, I looked over to my right and there was a Woman In a brand new VW !! Doing 75kph With her Face up next to her Rear view mirror Putting on her eyeliner. I looked away For a couple seconds, And when I loo...
Views: 124   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 28, 2014 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
Better than Agatha Christie.
Truth is, sometimes, stranger than fiction. At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science (AAFS), President Dr. Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death .. Here is the story : On March 23, 1994, th...
Views: 142   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 21, 2014 10:55pm
by Larry Southgate
Southampton Meeting
As Geoff Fleet requested a date for next year's meetings I have selected the 12th February 12 o'clock at the usual venue, The Encore PH Commercial Road, Southampton. I will warn those likely to attend my next meeting on 11th December that I may not be able to at...
Views: 124   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 21, 2014 4:54pm
by John Barron
A Short Treat for Sailing Fans.
Just a short quickie for the sailing enthusiasts: http://gcaptain.com/comanche-racingvideo/? utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+%28gCaptain .com%29 __ a bit of a long winded 'address' I am afraid so I hope it works. __________...
Views: 194   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 20, 2014 4:10pm
by Harry Dixon
Post Office Staff.
There was a man who worked for the Post Office whose job was to process all the mail that had illegible addresses. One day, a letter came addressed in a shaky handwriting to God with no actual address. He thought he should open it to see what it was about....
Views: 131   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 20, 2014 10:00am
by Ivor Busspass
Could this work in the UK??
I might try this myself next time I get one of those calls. I wonder if it could work in the UK????????????? FW: More jobs in USA not India, what we can do USA Company Reps The gas company serving this area brought their call center back to Phoenix from Indi...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 19, 2014 10:41pm
by Larry Southgate
Larry in Holland
Larry received the following email last week: "We are looking forward to seeing you next Monday in our Leudal area. You will be picked up at Eindhoven Airport on Monday November 10th at 16.05 hours by Huub Stollman. We will travel to Nunhem where a welcome dinner...
Views: 155   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 16, 2014 9:56pm
by Larry Southgate
"LITTLE FRED" HOPPER
I had a nice chat with Fred today. He is as cheerful as ever and still pursuing his passion for embroidery. He and Audrey have been in sheltered accommodation now for about a year and he is full of praise for it - says it is the best decision they ever made. He...
Views: 190   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 16, 2014 3:30pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
I can truthfully twas not me on the flight from Eindhoven!
Yes, I'm back. I'll fill you all in next week. Meantime I'm off to bed so leave you with the following : A man and a woman are seated next to each other on a long flight. They > start eyeing each other, and both realize they want to do the same > thing. > H...
Views: 95   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 15, 2014 11:38pm
by Larry Southgate
Safe Driving now it's Wintertime.
DRIVING IN RAIN...This May Save Your Life. SAFE - DRIVING TIPS WHEN IT IS RAINING !!! GOOD VISION IN A DOWNPOUR. How to achieve good vision while driving during a heavy downpour. We are not sure why it is so effective; Just try this method when it rains heavily....
Views: 153   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 9, 2014 9:21pm
by Larry Southgate
BETFOR DEPARTS TRIESTE 26 October 1954
On Sunday it will be 60 years since Her Majesty's troops departed the city. Watch this space for reports from Il Piccolo and our correspondent Larry. In the 9 and a bit year residency BETFOR had 26 different infantry battalions there (a couple with the same names...
Views: 320   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 9, 2014 4:28pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
History is a strange story.
Subject: History and how to rewrite it!) For those of you who are old enough to remember, enjoy. For the rest treat this as a history lesson! Very surprising how time and memory has taken its toll. Have things really changed this much in our time?...
Views: 98   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 7, 2014 8:56pm
by Larry Southgate
Autumn Watch
I have mixed feelings about Autumn. I always think it's a mistake to wish the time away; but the season brings some pretty boring things to do. It's the leaves and the nuts that cause the main problem. This year the nuts have been the chief bugbear - beech nuts - or...
Views: 156   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 7, 2014 1:36pm
by Harry Dixon
Girl Guides motto.
Always be prepared. Fwd: Wear An Old Dress Dorothy and Edna, two "senior" widows, are talking. Dorothy: "That nice George Johnson asked me out for a date. I know you went out with him last week, and I wanted to talk with you about him before I give him...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 5, 2014 9:26pm
by Larry Southgate
Distinguished Company
We know Larry Southgate as someone with a wide knowledge of Trieste , its language and its people. One of our mos prolific and entertaining columnists he was recently the subject of a full page article in in Primorski the Slovene newspaper of TRST. His wartime exp...
Views: 159   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 5, 2014 9:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Are you booked in here?
To speak to a guest in another room, please follow these instructions. 1st.floor--add250 to the room number and dial Onthe 2nd 3rd and 4th floors--dial the number required. On the 5th floor subtract 250 from the room number and dial.(dial 260). Except for...
Views: 133   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 5, 2014 3:29pm
by Roy Walter
Taking a flight anyone?
Panties on a plane: Three large black ladies were getting ready to take a plane trip for the very first time. The first lady said, 'I don't know bout y'all, but I'm gunna put me on sum hot pink panties beefo' I gets on dat plane.' Why you gonna wear dem...
Views: 128   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 4, 2014 10:47pm
by Larry Southgate
Watchout posts along the edge of Carso near the Banne barracks.
Hi once again. I was just wondering if you had special lookout posts along the top of the hill near Banne overlooking Trieste. Also, if there were some underground shelters just behind them. I'm into metal detecting as a hobby and was interested in hunting out the ar...
Views: 130   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 4, 2014 9:08pm
by Larry Southgate
Celebrations 60th Anniversary of Trieste's return to Italy
Hereunder is a translation of an announcement by the NAVGD regarding the forthcoming 60th anniversary celebrations for the return of Trieste to Italy. National Association Venezia Giulia and Dalmatia. Trieste, celebrazioni per il ’54 con i Bersaglieri e la po...
Views: 303   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 4, 2014 7:03pm
by Harry Dixon
There's a queue.
Subject: Job listing - Gynecologist's Assistant Job listing - Gynecologist's Assistant A retired man at the Job Center in Stockport. saw a card advertising for a Gynecologist's Assistant. Interested, he went in and asked the clerk for details. The cler...
Views: 85   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 31, 2014 11:50pm
by Larry Southgate
The Trieste Council deletes BETFOR.
I have been following on the pages of Il Piccolo the announcements of what Trieste is going to do to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the handover of the Free Territory of Trieste to Italy in 1954. Nowhere can I find a mention of what used to be called the Britis...
Views: 406   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 29, 2014 10:35pm
by Larry Southgate
Should keep you laughing till Saturday.
Upon arriving home, a husband was met at the door by his sobbing wife. Tearfully she explained, "It's the druggist. He insulted me terribly this morning on the phone. I had to call multiple times before he would even answer the phone." Immediately, the husband d...
Views: 103   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2014 11:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Be careful when you shower and shampoo.
ATTENTION ! SHAMPOO DANGER ! DO NOT shampoo your hair in the shower, as the shampoo runs down your body when you are rinsing off your hair... I'm so relieved to finally get a health warning that is useful!!! This IS A WARNING to all of us! I don't know W...
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2014 11:46pm
by Larry Southgate
i wanna job.
Cood u reely b offendid wen u get a lettur askin if u ad a job i cood ave. Aftur all it souns like English wen u reed it fast. i did go to skul and gorra cert to pruve it. Aftur all i wont to werk wid mashins, norin ur ofis. Opin i gerra offur back. Urs,...
Views: 107   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 28, 2014 10:46am
by FRED GREENWOOD
BETFOR Journal by e-mail.
Harry, with reference to our exchange of e-mails just lately about putting the Journal on e-mail to those members who have PCs. A mention was made of 50, if you recall. Take a look at the latest posting by Dave 796 RAF, Greetings from Wales. Already been 175 vie...
Views: 116   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 28, 2014 10:07am
by Roland Cole
The British stiff upper lip!!
I noticed a blog on the IL Piccolo website tonight. Written by someone called Alberto Bollis (blog name: @ abollis). He writes: That which the English don't say. The phraseology to decipher. One of the things I have learnt since being here is that the Eng...
Views: 79   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 27, 2014 10:43pm
by Larry Southgate
Monday's joke.
One for all the salesmen in the World WHEN I SAY I'M BROKE - I'M BROKE! A little old lady answered a knock on the door one day, to be confronted by a well-dressed young man carrying a vacuum cleaner. 'Good morning,' said the young man. 'If I could take a...
Views: 86   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 27, 2014 10:02pm
by Larry Southgate
Must;ve been a Costa Coffe shop!
Bill and Sam, two elderly friends, met in the park every day to Feed the pigeons, watch the squirrels and discuss world problems. One day Bill didn't show up. Sam didn't think much about it > and figured maybe he had a cold or something. But after Bill hadn't shown...
Views: 76   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 26, 2014 10:49pm
by Larry Southgate
For devoted dart fans.
My wife asked me what I was doing on the computer last night I explained to her I was looking for cheap flights "I love you!" she said, and then she got all excited, quickly undressed and we had the most amazing sex ever Which is odd because she's never...
Last Post: Oct 24, 2014 10:34pm
by Larry Southgate
Any takers?
Subject: Real Senior Ads These are actual ads seen in ''The Villages'' Florida newspaper. FOXY LADY: Sexy, fashion-conscious blue-haired beauty in her 80’s. I’m slim, 5'4' (used to be 5'6'), Searching for sharp-looking, sharp-dressing companio...
Views: 145   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2014 9:41pm
by Larry Southgate
TRIESTE FOOTBALLERS. info please.
Our TS based journalist friend Nicolo Giraldi has asked if we can provide any information. Nicolo is a correspondent for a new magazine The Thin White Line based in Australia. He wants to do a piece about British soldier footballers who served in TS. I have suggested...
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2014 3:00pm
by Roy Boyles Ho...
REMARKABLE...........
....video shot by Fabio Papalettera and appearing in today's Il Piccolo' It shows some wonderful aerial shots of various parts of Fvg ( Friuli Venezia Giulia) starting in the mountains and coming down to Trieste. There's some good music to it too. There are views of...
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2014 2:24pm
by Harry Dixon
Some jokes from the US of A are funny!
Gun Control: It has already started at Bass Pro Shops Sporting Goods. When I was ready to pay for my purchases of gun powder and bullets, the cashier said, "Strip down, facing me." Making a mental note to complain to the NRA about the gun control wacko's runnin...
Views: 94   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 22, 2014 10:14pm
by Larry Southgate
First siamese-twins joke that's funny!
Siamese twins walk into a bar in Australia and park themselves on a bar stool. One of them says to the bartender, "Don't mind us; we're joined at the hip. I'm John, he's Jim. Two Fosters beers, draft please." The bartender, feeling slightly awkward, tries to ma...
Views: 108   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 22, 2014 10:09pm
by Larry Southgate
There's a door in your way!
If you ever thought you were developing senile dementia read the following before you go to the doc! Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was ? Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memor...
Last Post: Oct 22, 2014 9:57pm
by Larry Southgate
Dear Abby.
Dear Abby. CONTACT FROM THE SHALLOW END OF THE GENE POOL. DEAR ABBY ADMITTED SHE WAS AT A LOSS HOW TO ANSWER THE FOLLOWING: Dear Abby, A couple of women moved in across the hall from me. One is a middle-aged gym teacher and the other is a social worke...
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 21, 2014 10:09pm
by Larry Southgate
Just thinking.
If there was a shred of doubt the world is totally insane, this will remove it. This says it all ... Pythagoras' Theorem: ..........................................24 words Lord's Prayer: .................................................... 66 words Archimede...
Views: 121   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 20, 2014 10:32pm
by Harry Dixon
BETFOR REUNION and AGM . BOURNEMOUTH
A few bookings confirmed in the past weeks. Derek Millen this week and John Darby last week. We are now over halfway to mid March next year. The Collingwood will take your details but you are not charged until leaving. Simples ! If only you were all on the net ! (7...
Views: 180   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 20, 2014 1:13pm
by brian
Ain't I just, though!!
It's hard to find a friend who is: 96% Talented 97% Funny 98% Loving 99% Intelligent And 100% Adorable So ..................... Don't lose me, okay?...
Views: 109   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 19, 2014 11:46am
by Roy Walter
Is this a coincidence?
I seem to recall that not so long ago the Cooperative Bank and Society in Englandwere in trouble and almost bankrupted. Take a look at what I have translated from the Il Piccolo website tonight. I have read the full article and a couple of extracts from there appe...
Views: 112   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 18, 2014 10:30pm
by Larry Southgate
Suffolk Gathering Tomorrow
Off tomorrow to meet up with Members for Lunch,and a Pint,at The Rushbrooke Arms,Sicklesmere,near Bury St Edmunds. So if you are feeling fed up with reading the Message Board,and you are in the Area,pop in,you will be most welcome, After looking at Larrys Menu,...
Views: 151   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 18, 2014 9:13pm
by Bernard Evans
El Tram......stlii not plain sailing
From this morning's Il Piccolo: Where Via Ovidio crosses the track, this driver decided to turn left: Like good Triestini, the tram passengers got out and helped to push the VW back onto the road.
Views: 143   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 17, 2014 10:56pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
Shocking news about funeral of Tito.
From the pages of Il Piccolo yesterday and today. Shock revelations by an ex-functionary of the Jugoslav Secret Service, has started of some polemics about Josep Broz TITO. Apparently, in the coffin at the "funeral" of Tito, there was no body. Just Sand!...
Views: 163   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 16, 2014 10:15pm
by Larry Southgate
The bad weather over Muggia and Lazzaretto.
After the disastrous storm of yesterday the situation is returning slowly to normal. A helicopter of the Carabinieri has flown over the zone of the landslide at Lazzaretto to carry out photograph evidence: to verify the state of the earth alongside the landslide...
Views: 114   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 16, 2014 10:05pm
by Larry Southgate
Up close and personal.
So what’s in your diet? Here’s a breakdown of a week in the stomach of myself Sunday: Breakfast, small dish of cereal, large mug tea, take pills and vitamins. Lunch: Bisto Cooked Beef dinner (b eef,carrots, peas,roast potatoes), glass...
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 16, 2014 5:30pm
by Larry Southgate
'ello 'ello
On a beautiful spring day in the 1950's,an old man was walking through the beautiful French countryside when near a hedge he spotted a young couple making love in a field. Overcoming his initial shock,he thought to himself "Ah young love,ze springtime,ze air,ze flow...
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 15, 2014 4:34pm
by Roy Walter
Heart-warming.
The victory of Annie Glenn, Wife of John Glenn. OF THE NICER STORIES of THIS ERA. For half a century, the world has applauded John Glenn as a heart-stirring American hero. He lifted the nation's spirits when, as one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts, he...
Views: 110   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 15, 2014 3:23pm
by Roy Walter
DON'T LOOK, Roy..............
........if it makes you feel queasy just to look at them but I think that boats are things of real beauty. The theme of both of these paintings is stillness but the shape of the boats suggests their purpose and is meant to convey the potential for movement.
Views: 187   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 14, 2014 10:11pm
by Larry Southgate
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Free Forum powered by Bravenet