British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Is your complaint to Thomas Cook Tours included?
Can someone tell me how such stupid people ever earned and saved enough money to travel in the first place? THESE ARE ACTUAL COMPLAINTS RECEIVED BY "THOMAS COOK VACATIONS" FROM DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS: 1. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 13, 2014 10:48pm
by Larry Southgate
Friday night is always good for a laff.
An Irish Priest Was Transferred To Texas Father O'Malley rose from his bed one morning. It was a fine spring day in his new west Texas mission parish. He walked to the window of his bedroom to get a deep breath of the beautiful day outside. He then noticed...
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 10, 2014 9:35pm
by Larry Southgate
Views: 152   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 10, 2014 2:36pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
Stupid boy.........!!!!
(At least, I think it's a boy) Why is he perched against the empty hole instead of the bottom one where there are plenty of seeds? Come to that, why does he and his mates shit on the squirrel baffle? Not the best way to say ta for a free lunch. I took this ph...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 6, 2014 2:25pm
by Harry Dixon
Help please: Images on the Meassage Board
Fred, can you help please? The most common question I'm asked is, "How do you put photos on the message board?" I've been used to saying something along the lines,"You need to upload the images to the web using something like Flikr." Well I thought I'd try it...
Views: 278   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 6, 2014 10:23am
by FRED GREENWOOD
Trieste - 26 October 1954.
Here's a golden opportunity for our 'silent majority' to shine. Some of you may have been in Trieste on that day. Well, 144 of you have perused one entry on this page, surely one or two of you could use this to secure your place in history!!!!! On the Il Pic...
Views: 131   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 5, 2014 10:28pm
by Larry Southgate
Start the week off right.
What Starts with F and ends with K? A first-grade teacher, Ms. Brooks, was having trouble with one of her students. The teacher asked, 'Harry, what's your problem?' Harry answered, 'I'm too smart for the 1st grade. My sister is in the 3rd grade, and I'm sm...
Views: 89   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 5, 2014 9:38pm
by Larry Southgate
BT.COM Email Changeover?
Today i was invaded by BT Mail,i knew it was changing from Yahoo, but to my surprise it brought back Emails i had long forgotten i had written,during the dark days. Looking back filled me with some satisfaction,that most of my Emails content came to be fullfilled,wi...
Views: 180   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 3, 2014 12:02pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
A laff a day keeps the blues away.
Here is your laugh for the day! Ole Fills In for A doctor in Duluth, Minnesota who wanted to get off work and go hunting, so he approached his assistant "Ole, I am goin' huntin' tomorrow and don't want to close the clinic. I want you to take care of the clinic an...
Views: 91   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 2, 2014 11:25pm
by Larry Southgate
An Arab buys everyone a drink.
Subject: A rich Arab walks into a bar- - - -! A rich Arab walks into a bar and is about to order a drink, when he sees a guy close by wearing a Jewish cap, a prayer shawl/tzitzis and traditional locks of hair. He doesn't have to be an Einstein to know that thi...
Views: 82   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 30, 2014 10:26pm
by Larry Southgate
Re-tired.
Subject: FW: RETIREMENT Why I Like Retirement ! Question: How many days in a week? Answer: 6 Saturdays, 1 Sunday Question: When is a retiree's bedtime? Answer: Two hours after he falls asleep on the couch. Question: How many retirees to change a lig...
Views: 88   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 29, 2014 10:16pm
by Larry Southgate
Just thinking, just thinking.
As I was lying around, pondering the problems of the world, I realized that at my age I really don't give two hoots anymore. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal. A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water, but is still fat...
Views: 94   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2014 10:37pm
by Larry Southgate
A chuckle for the weekend.
While on a road trip, an elderly couple, stopped at Pizza Hut for lunch. After finishing their meal, they left the restaurant, and resumed their trip to Toronto . When leaving, the elderly woman unknowingly left...
Views: 88   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2014 10:29pm
by Larry Southgate
How fast is fast?
Ecco Ulisse, il computer delle meraviglie di Pierpaolo Pitich Presentato il supercalcolatore nato da un progetto di Sissa e Ictp: è capace di 100mila miliardi di operazioni al secondo. The above copied from the pages of Il Piccolo web-site: Here comes Ul...
Views: 81   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 25, 2014 10:40pm
by Larry Southgate
I know exactly how she feels!
"WHERE is my SUNDAY paper?" The irate customer calling the newspaper office, loudly demanded to know where her Sunday edition was. "Madam," said the newspaper employee, "today is Saturday. The Sunday paper is not delivered until tomorrow, on SUNDAY." The...
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 25, 2014 9:48pm
by Larry Southgate
Ah, love is like that!
A group of women were at a seminar on how to live in a loving relationship with your husband. The women were asked, "How many of you love your husband?" All the women raised their hands. Then they were asked, "When was the last time you told your husband you lo...
Views: 103   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 25, 2014 9:21pm
by Larry Southgate
Imperial War Museum
I don't know if any of you are aware of the Imperial War Museum web-site but I found it tonight and after a bit of head scratching and clicking on various pages I opted to log onto the Google section of the web-site and typed in on the search box Trieste and Friuli V...
Views: 115   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 25, 2014 4:19pm
by Harry Dixon
Real British Humour.
FW: BRITISH HUMOR IS DIFFERENT These are classified ads, which were actually placed in U.K. Newspapers: FREE YORKSHIRE TERRIER. 8 years old, Hateful little bastard. Bites! FREE PUPPIES 1/2 Cocker Spaniel, 1/2 sneaky neighbor's dog. FREE PUPPIES. Mot...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 23, 2014 10:10pm
by Larry Southgate
With apologies to all especially the ladies
A city in Austria This is funny!! A city in Austria...true. The European Union (EU) has granted a permit to an Austrian brewery to officially name their beer: Fucking Hell. It's a fully legitimate permit. "Hell" in German means "Light" and the beer is pro...
Views: 95   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 23, 2014 7:13pm
by Mrs Grundy
Yoof of today!!!! What a bunch of .............
We tend to think of modern youth as nerdy geeks who sit on their backsides playing computer games and twittering wth their Facebook pages but that isn’t true of all. I photographed these youths climbing an overhanging cliff above the Strada Napoleonica on my la...
Views: 189   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 21, 2014 10:07pm
by Larry Southgate
"Mouse Balls"
Mouse balls and mouse ball inspector I don't know how they wrote this with a straight face. This was an actual memo sent out by IBM to its employees in all seriousness. It went to all field engineers about a computer peripheral problem. The author of this memo was qu...
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 19, 2014 1:32pm
by John Barron
MARY CROW
I regret to announce that our Honorary Member Mary Crow (Number 002) has passed away. Mary was the widow of the Association's Founder Chairman, Jim Crow and is fondly remembered from the years when she was at his side. For any member who wishes to attend her funer...
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2014 5:05pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
How our Taxes are Spent
European Parliament, don’t they all work so hard? Glad to see our taxes being so well spent!
Views: 196   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 15, 2014 2:43pm
by Harry Dixon
My latest visit to Trieste.
My latest visit to Trieste. Started with a train journey to Birmingham International then onto Ryanair security check. I told the security agent that I have a metal plate in my left ankle so as not to set off the alarm. Taken to the side of the barrier and told...
Views: 129   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 14, 2014 11:41pm
by Larry Southgate
Some undisputable facts!
Five Unshakable Facts 1. A girl is said to be grown up when she starts wearing a bra. A boy is grown up when he starts removing it. 2. We all love to spend lots of money buying new clothes but we never realize that the best moments in life are enjoyed without...
Views: 83   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 13, 2014 10:07pm
by Larry Southgate
There's always a way!!
British Humour A big earthquake with the strength of 8.1 on the Richter scale hit the Middle East. Two million Muslims died and over a million were injured. Iraq and Iran are totally ruined and the governments don't know where to start with providing hel...
Views: 102   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 12, 2014 9:41pm
by Larry Southgate
And todays new word is........
I had to read this a couple of time to get it!! xx Today's word is ..................Fluctuations (I will never hear or...
Views: 99   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2014 9:45pm
by Larry Southgate
Local meeting
Following enquiries this is just to confirm that my local meeting is scheduled for this week on Thursday 11th at 12.00 at the usual venue The Encore P.H Commercial Road Southampton.
Views: 122   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 9, 2014 7:25pm
by John Barron
The Way We Were - and a Dare
I cannot imagine why my family have found this photo so funny. It's quite clear that i have already, at this early age developed a discriminating ear for good music. (I'm the one modelling the fluffy white rabbit's wool hat; my brother, modelling a Dior creation, is...
Views: 179   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 9, 2014 11:24am
by FRED GREENWOOD
Another chuckle a day.
Subject: Sex in the Shower In a recent survey carried out for the leading toiletries firm 'Brut', people from Chicago have proved to be the most likely to have had sex in the shower! In the survey, 86% of Chicago's inner city residents (almost all of whom...
Views: 116   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 8, 2014 9:52pm
by Larry Southgate
Some further deep (or deeper) thoughts.
Ramblings of a Retired Mind I was thinking about how a status symbol of today is those cell phones that everyone has clipped onto their belt or purse. I can't afford one. So, I'm wearing my garage door opener. I also made a cover for my hearing aid and now...
Views: 95   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 8, 2014 9:31pm
by Larry Southgate
It all depends on how you think.
Deep Thoughts 1. There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and Shithead's. 2. The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in college was my blood alcohol content. 3. I live in my own little world but it's OK; everyone knows me here. 4. I saw a rather large woman...
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 8, 2014 5:44pm
by Larry Southgate
.No Speak Eenglish.
NO Speak English A Russian woman married a Canadian gentleman and they lived happily ever after in Toronto . The poor lady was not very proficient in English, but did manage to communicate with her husband. The real problem arose whenever she had to shop for groc...
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 8, 2014 5:05pm
by Larry Southgate
92 Year Old Peter Proctor Does his Parachute Jump Today
http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/story/2014-09-03/92-year-old-in-parachute-jump/ Harry,The ex Spitfire Pilot,aged 92,did his jump today at Sibton Airfield Peterborough. There is a Video and photos on the Anglia TV website, of the Brave man,raising money for the RA...
Views: 148   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 5, 2014 11:03am
by FRED GREENWOOD
Happy Christmas,My Ventures out to Town
I went to Specsavours ,as i thought i were seeing things,is it Christmas already? Having just come out of a Card Shop with what i thought were Birthday Cards,for my better halfs Sister i found they were Christmas Cards. Dont ask ,i only looked at Sister,as i do not...
Views: 98   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 2, 2014 8:55pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
Letter from a New Member
In response to my letter to the local paper, I have received the following letter from Mr D F Dealey who was in Trieste from 1946 to 1948. 27 August 2014 Dear John Have just read your letter 'Remembering Trieste comrades' After 9 months with the Londo...
Views: 190   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 1, 2014 3:03pm
by John Barron
Does anyone remember my father, John HOLBROOK? REME 1952
I wonder if anyone can help, my father John Holbrook was in REME in Trieste in 1952 and I would love to know more about his time there - does anyone remember him? He came from the Isle of Wight. I have a couple of photographs of him, one outside Luna Park which was a...
Views: 233   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 30, 2014 3:38pm
by Tracy Holbrook
Indian Viled Life from Vindows
Hello is that misser gweenwood,this is Peter, about your Computer?. A new indian name i thought, must be from Vindows?. Your Computer is sending out VIRUS MESSAGE. I know it is,its written by a daft old sod from Suffick,he is part of the Vindaloo Squad. Are but...
Views: 300   Replies: 13
Last Post: Aug 27, 2014 9:21pm
by Larry Southgate
Not the NHS!
Subject: New Doctor A young doctor has moved out to a small community to replace an older doctor who is retiring. The older doctor suggested that the young one accompany him on his rounds, so the community could become use to a new doctor. At the first ho...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2014 9:01pm
by Larry Southgate
For all dog lovers.
A little girl asks her mum, 'Mum, can I take the dog for a walk?' Her mum replies 'No, because she is on heat.' 'What does that mean?' asked the child. 'Go and ask your father. I think he's in the garage.' The little girl goes out to the garage and says...
Views: 83   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 26, 2014 11:03pm
by Larry Southgate
The \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Plague
Bravenet are aware of the problem and are working to put it right. PS Why are problems, difficulties,sports injuries or even malfunctions of mechanical things now "issues"? I've never heard a debate between two racing cars.
Views: 117   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 26, 2014 6:16pm
by Harry Dixon
Recruitment
A p.s to my last note. In case I do have any replies to my letters in the press, does any one have some application forms they could let me have.
Views: 174   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 25, 2014 3:01pm
by Roland Cole
A chuckle a day this week.
How fights start An oldie, but still funny x One year, I decided to buy my mother-in-law a cemetery plot as a Christmas gift... The next year, I didn't buy her a gift. When she asked me why, I replied, "Well, you still haven't used the gift I bought you last...
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 24, 2014 10:20pm
by Larry Southgate
Charles Finch
My name is Pam Smith. My father was Charles Frederick Finch he served in Trieste around 1948 or 1949 .He was know as Fred rather than Charles .He was a medic in the hospital there during his National service. Dad was from London . Unfortunately Dad passed away some y...
Views: 164   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 23, 2014 6:58am
by Pam Smith
Typhoon over Trieste and VG.
The night before last a strong typhoon hit Friuli Venezia Giulia and Trieste, especially up on the Carso. The village of Sgonico was badly damaged with trees uprooted, branches torn off, roofs of houses blown away, and also the school was damaged. Up in Friuli 46...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2014 10:32pm
by Larry Southgate
Recruitment
Thanks to John Darby's letter we may have some luck with recruiting new members. I sent John's letter to three of our local papers and all three were very kind to us - The Southampton Daily Echo - where they gave us quite a big headline, The Romsey Advertiser and...
Views: 132   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2014 3:44pm
by John Barron
\"Support Your Local Heroes\"......???????
This morning I saw two young men, at the entrance to a shopping arcade, at a table which was covered with a Union flag and on which there were collecting buckets. Behind was a large poster saying, "Support Your Local Heroes". There has recently been a case of a man s...
Views: 158   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 20, 2014 2:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Larry's lament
I don't see why Dave 769 RAF should have all the sympathy (even if unspoken). Today I attended the Endoscope department of Stepping Hill Hospital for a Colonoscopy/Fexible Sigmoidoscopy without sedation. If you don't know what that is, I'm afraid I cannot enlighte...
Views: 158   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 20, 2014 9:44am
by FRED GREENWOOD
PHOTO ALBUM
Having trouble getting into the PHOTO ALBUM,is it me or is there a problem,keeps coming up ERROR ON PAGE. Thank you Gordon
Views: 157   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 17, 2014 8:16am
by Harry Dixon
Murphy's 15 other laws.
"Give thanks in all circumstances." 1 Thess. 5:18 1) Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. 2) A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well. 3) He who laughs last, thin...
Views: 110   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 16, 2014 6:45am
by P Murphy
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Free Forum powered by Bravenet