BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Internet problems.
Tonight has been unpleasant as far as my internet connection has performed. Even when I was on Skype to Trieste, we had problems. And every so often a big screen from Microsoft telling me I was disconnected and offering to clear it up. Could this be anything to...
Views: 85   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 10, 2017 7:53pm
by Larry Southgate
Buskers in Trieste.
D'you remember there used to be the odd person with a guitar strumming in the streets around Piazza Unita` and Piazza della Borsa? Well, now if there are any caught by the cops they face a 300 € fine and their instrument confiscated. Makes for a merry xmas...
Views: 32   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 6, 2017 10:26pm
by Larry Southgate
PHOTO: Just For a Change.....
Il Piccolo has items about the tram and lots of details of old folks being injured in accidents and, as the poet says in "The Lion and Albert" - "nowt to laugh at at all" so I've been searching for an alternative. Here it is. The photo shows two of our committee m...
Views: 96   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 3, 2017 2:29pm
by Harry Dixon
Time - lees - ness
I cannot speak for others than myself, but since we put the clocks back one hour, time seems to have concocted an hiatus. I cannot recall time seeming to go so slow. The afternoons especially. It feels as though there are now more than 24 hours each day. Anybo...
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 2, 2017 9:02pm
by Larry Southgate
Mulberry Trees
There is a strange posting on the Il Piccolo website today. There is a street in Trieste called Via dell'Eremo and along this street in one part are planted some trees. The posting on the website shows a photo of a hand holding a very large ??berry??. I have done...
Views: 73   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 30, 2017 9:03pm
by Larry Southgate
Misc. Twaddle
1. Time - I can claim that I actually did read "A Brief History of Time". (It's said to be the most unread book of all ....) It was some years ago and I can't be expected to give the even the gist of it now but I think Spike Milligan had the sense of it when he said,...
Views: 55   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2017 7:11pm
by Harry Dixon
Ophelia
(From the BBC website.) It appears that Ophelia is causing the air over some parts of the country to carry enough Sahara sand to cause this effect. Here we have blue skies and a light breeze.
Views: 111   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 23, 2017 9:51pm
by Larry Southgate
Next Southampton Meeting
This is bit early but the date of my next meeting will be 11.30 Thursday 22nd February 2018 at our usual venue Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton.
Views: 65   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2017 2:48pm
by John Barron
"Commando Raid"
One day we had a surprise visitor to our remote cottage in the highlands - a marines officer; he had come to warn us that our night might be disturbed by the landing of a large helicopter nearby at the head of the bay. A number of men would land and would then make o...
Views: 71   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 19, 2017 5:50pm
by Roland
The south Stafford in Trieste in 1952 ?
Can any one tell me if they saw the the members of the south staffs Regiment in Trieste in 1952.
Views: 115   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 15, 2017 11:06am
by Les Walker
Next Meeting
Just a gentle reminder of my meeting 11.30 a.m. Thursday 19th October at Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton. I welcome past and present members if they wish to join us.
Views: 61   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 12, 2017 9:33pm
by Paula
Trieste gets more interesting by the day.
A couple of postings from the Il Piccolo website of today Friday 6 October. Record seizure of 'Cocaine' on a yacht flying the Triestine flag. The yacht has been registered in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region where investigations are proceeding. The drug - &#...
Views: 78   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 6, 2017 10:39pm
by Larry Southgate
Car Insurance
We once ran a thread about travel insurance and I for one found it very useful. We may not like to quote actual figures but the names of insurers who have a sensible policy for more mature drivers might be useful. In that regard I have to report that I have used LV...
Views: 56   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 6, 2017 4:37pm
by Harry Dixon
TRAM - why is it US so often?
Is there some reason that the service is discontinued so often? This time it's to be "for an indeterminate period". (Photo etc from Il Piccolo)
Views: 90   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 5, 2017 9:54pm
by Larry Southgate
NOSTALGIA isn’t what it used to be. Was it ever?
Why do we have to idealise the past – and only the fairly recent past – because we seem also to have an idea that the world was somehow only waiting for us to arrive on the scene to really get going. At school, our year group was the important one; in the...
Views: 94   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 30, 2017 7:35pm
by Harry Dixon
You vill do vat we tell you.
And you probably thought Trieste was in the European Union - a free state? Headline on a posting on the Il Piccolo web-site today 26 September 2017. TRIESTE, HOW AND WHEN ONE CAN SWITCH ON THE CENTRAL HEATING. The Clarification from the communal administrati...
Views: 60   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2017 11:04pm
by Larry Southgate
Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chapter 15:
Good morning all - And once again we have a rather nice start to the day, and the week and the month too! It can’t all be bad! Here it is, just gone 8 am. and the sun is shining away, the sky is blue with a fair amount of white clouds and the breeze is a mode...
Views: 353   Replies: 21
Last Post: Sep 24, 2017 8:42am
by Dave 796 RAF
LAST POST: Frank Peck, Catering Corps.
We are sad to learn of the death of Frank Peck, who served with the Catering Corps in Trieste in the early fifties
Views: 75   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 23, 2017 5:09pm
by Harry Dixon
Where were you?
Let's see if a small survey can get some of the 'silent majority' to use their PCs. laptops, tablets or smart phones. Which are not phones at all. They are wireless sets, transceivers, transmitters and receivers. Phones require cables whichis why they are call...
Views: 112   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 21, 2017 9:53pm
by Larry Southgate
RIP Elena Young
I have to report the passing of our long term member Elena 'Nives' Young on 8th September. Nives, a Triestine 'mula' was the widow of Jim Young and had lived in Loughborough for many years after he completed his long term military service. I intend to go to her funer...
Views: 85   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 21, 2017 12:16pm
by Geoffrey Jarman ...
Winter draw(er)s on.
Up by Tarvisio, where some of my in-laws live and which I visit very frequently, there is a mountain called Monte Lussari, which hosts an enchanting village and refuge. Absolutely beautiful. On the Il Piccolo web-site today there is a picture with the following c...
Views: 60   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 20, 2017 10:21pm
by Larry Southgate
Noel Cavasse VC and Bar MC RAMC
Noel Chavasse VC and Bar MC RAMC Medical Officer 10th (Scottish) Battalion The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) The Liverpool Scottish Noel and his twin brother Christopher both played for Liverpool FC (RU) Noel was killed on the 4th Au...
Views: 65   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 20, 2017 2:21pm
by Harry Dixon
Il Piccolo web-site on fire.
Wowee, but there is some news tonight on the page of Il Piccolo's web-site. Where to start? Well, let's go the Balkans, where trouble always seems to be lurking. The Gulf of Pirano. Nerves are close to breaking point between Zagreb and Lubiana. Lubiana put...
Views: 54   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 14, 2017 10:09pm
by Larry Southgate
A strange contact.
I opened my mail-box this evening and surprise, surprise, there was an e-mail from an American lady whose name is Fiorella Massa-Corso. She wants to know if anybody has any recollection of a nine hole golf course constructed at Padriciano during the Free Territory...
Views: 56   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 12, 2017 10:08pm
by Larry Southgate
Have a glass of mineral water.
An extract from the pages of the Il Piccolo website of today 11 Septmber 2017. THE ENORMOUS BUSINESS OF MINERAL WATER: It costs the producer €2 for 1000 litres. Which it then pollutes by putting it in plastic bottles and it is less secure than that which...
Views: 50   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2017 10:04pm
by Larry Southgate
Anybody want a glass of matured wine?
From Il Piccolo website : THE MOST ANTIQUE WINE IN THE WORLD. The discovery in Sicily. Six thousand years of ageing for the most antique wine in the world. The discovery by Triestine speleologues of the dregs in the amphorae found in the thermal caves of Sciacc...
Views: 52   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 10, 2017 4:43pm
by Larry Southgate
Trieste eurocapitale della scienza 2020:
An item from today's Il Piccolo: Trieste eurocapitale della scienza 2020: come cambierebbe Porto vecchio L'ambizioso progetto presentato a Strasburgo prevede il fulcro delle attività in Porto vecchio, Magazzini 26, 27 e 28. Bar, ristoranti, auditorium, sale c...
Views: 63   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 8, 2017 10:06pm
by Larry Southgate
Tom Carew, Patricia Highsmith ......and Snails
Tom Carew, the OC of TSO, and Patricia Highsmith were said to be "dining companions" in Trieste. A few years ago, I made the effort of reading (skimming through) several of her books to see if there could be any link between his very adventurous and dangerous car...
Views: 67   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 5, 2017 2:16pm
by Harry Dixon
3 September 1939.
Anyone remember this date? I had just left school at the end of July having reached 14 years of age and was looking for a job. We were living on Park Road in Blackwood and I recall I was helping (?) Mother in the kitchen and we suddenly got the voice of Neville C...
Views: 61   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 3, 2017 9:47pm
by Larry Southgate
The Guardian and Prosecco.
Apparently the Guardian (a reputed to be newspaper) published an article the other day warning the female population of GB to beware of how much of the sparkling wine Prosecco they drink. It seems that the bubbles in the wine can cause the teeth to rot if they drin...
Views: 67   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 3, 2017 9:23pm
by Larry Southgate
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10