Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Web-cams around the world.
Note the time this is posted here!! Using the SKYLINE web-cam programme I have just been taking a look at the Weeping Wall in Jerusalem. Bottom of screen showed date/time of - 20/7/2018 - 0012 and there were crowds of people in the square in front of the wall....
Views: 20   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 19, 2018 9:18pm
by Larry Southgate
Gordon Westfield
Sorry about the delay Gordon.I do have an explanation.My hearing is very bad but if you can leave a message giving me your email addressI can get one of my relatives to interpretit for me rather than broadcasting it to all and sundry.Look forward to hearing from you....
Views: 32   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2018 10:25am
by Roy Walter
Holiday in Trieste - Part II.
We just had a very good short holiday in the city of dreams. But too many in-laws and friends to meet. Lunch every day with a different person, dinner each evening with another different person finishing with a wonderful dinner on Tuesday with a nephew-in-law at...
Views: 70   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 12, 2018 8:37pm
by Larry Southgate
OOPS !!
Sorry; nearly forgot. What with Wimbledon, Barcolana and the footie in Russia- there's a lot going on but I'll start with Roy's facourite photo. Today marks the beginning of the Tour de France. It's a flat(ish) stage and favours the sprinters , so I'm told - b...
Views: 77   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 11, 2018 8:48am
by roy boyles
Next Southampton Meeting
Our next meeting will be on Thursday 1st November at Gusto Bistro corner of Commercial Road and Cumberland Place, Southampton (by the traffic lights) 11.30hrs. We look forward to a chat over a pleasant lunch. contact Paula Pakeman 01202 426612
Views: 35   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 10, 2018 2:54pm
by Paula Pakeman
LAST POST
I learned, via an email from Guy Thomas, of the sad death of Frank Bishop who served in Trieste in the RASC as chief clerk at G2/GSI, Intelligence HQ run jointly by British and American Intelligence. Guy writes, "He was a great stalwart of the English Church in Tries...
Views: 92   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 8, 2018 3:40pm
by Sean K
Donner und blitzen in citta`.
I have just a few minutes ago logged onto a web-cam mounted in the offices of Radio Punto Zero in Trieste which shows the activities in Piazza della Borsa and the start of the Corso d'Italia. There is a tremendous thunderstormn taking place. It's pouring with rai...
Views: 38   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 6, 2018 9:44pm
by Larry Southgate
5th July 1908
Exactly one hundred and ten years ago two Teiestine speleologists discovered the Grotta Gigante. Il Piccolo records the occasion today and carries this photo, clearly taken soon after the discovery. when the cave had been made accessible and been lit by a large...
Views: 60   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 5, 2018 9:05pm
by Larry Southgate
Feel Free............
.…. to disregard anything I say about Association Football because I know nothing about it and have long dismissed it as a ……. I'd better say no more - but I enjoyed watching the Spain/Portugal game; I could see patterns etc and skills. I also liked...
Views: 138   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 26, 2018 9:19pm
by Larry Southgate
Holiday in TS.
From Friday this week I should be in Trieste. I'll give the place your regards, dear readers. Only staying for a week this time.
Views: 39   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2018 8:49pm
by Larry Southgate
Keyless cars danger.
A notice from the web-site of Il Piccolo of 13 June 2018. Le auto senza chiavi hanno un pericoloso inconveniente che ha già ucciso decine di persone. Keyless start-up cars have an inconvenient danger which has already killed 10s of persons. Vehicles equippe...
Views: 39   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 13, 2018 9:21pm
by Larry Southgate
Born lucky?
What's in a life? When I was 11 year old I went down with diptheria and scarlet fever and was placed in a special ward in an isolation hospital in Hereford. Recovered from that the family and myself moved down into Pengam in South Wales. 13 years old one day I...
Views: 60   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 8, 2018 9:46pm
by Larry Southgate
Bargain hunt for antques.
Having today reached the end of 93 years, tomorrow I start on the 94th. Soon be qualified to take part in Bargain Hunt as an antique myself or maybe I should go in for the Antiques Roadshow instead.
Views: 36   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2018 10:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Bravenet
The arrangements for pblishing the message board have been "improved" so thatit is sometimes hard to keep things as we like them. The heading has disappeared and I'm just giving it time to breathe still it's sorted out. Sorry.
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2018 2:07pm
by Harry Dixon
The North Staffs
Six photographs have been uploaded to the web-site and I've put them in the North staffs album there are two hand-written notes but no other details. I'm always glad to add photos to their appropriate albums. It would be helpful to have some background information su...
Views: 97   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 6, 2018 8:00am
by Harry Dixon
Trieste at midnight.
I've just finished taking a look at Piazza Unita` and Piazza della Borsa on the webcams set up there. In Piazza della Borsa there seems to be an exhibition of automobiles and red carpets are laid along the square. What is amazing is that there are crowds of peopl...
Views: 49   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 2, 2018 3:08pm
by Harold Dixon
How do you update your details
Hi Can anyone tell me how to update my phone number on front page? Thanks Ken
Views: 55   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 30, 2018 6:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Porto Piccolo, Sistiana
This is the so-called little square at the so-called little port ( the revamped little harbour at Sistiana) where tiny "houses" have been crammed in, Il Piccolo reports that a fixed "parking" (mooring) fee of 10 euros will be charged even if you only want to drop in...
Views: 50   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2018 1:20pm
by Harry Dixon
Micro-chip Identity cards.
One small but interesting entry on the Il Piccolo web-site today. Here's a copy. Migliaia di persone in Svezia con un chip sottopelle al posto della carta d'identità. Thousands of persons in Sweden with a chip under their skin in place of the identity...
Views: 40   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 29, 2018 8:38pm
by Larry Southgate
2018 Giro d'italia
almost time for the start of this years race. The starting stages are in Israel with a Jerusalem time trial on Friday,4th May. The race can be followed every day on Eurosport. The latter stages are in NE Italy but not near TS. I am anticipating some regular photo co...
Views: 169   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 28, 2018 3:26pm
by roy boyles
65 TYEARS AGO.... THE CORONATION
It was 65 years ago and I still remember the day. Not so much because of the Coronation; that seemed a far off affair and the most memorable thing about it was the announcement that Everest had been climbed – and we had the day off - and we had a mess party. A...
Views: 37   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 27, 2018 6:24pm
by Harry Dixon
Re: Greetings & Yet More Tales from Wales - Chapter 18.
Good morning all – Already it looks a much nicer day than it was this time yesterday, and with any luck it will carry on like this all day. And welcome to Chapter 18! My apologies for the missing Greetings from last Sunday. Unfortunately, I was still under t...
Views: 245   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 27, 2018 7:58am
by Dave 796 RAF
Trieste
I was born stateless in 1952 Trieste in the Hospital Majore following my parents escape from Jugoslavia. We were domiciled in a refuge camp in Trieste administered at the time by the British Army. My father now deceased told me when I was young about the help he had...
Views: 90   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 24, 2018 3:10pm
by Harry Dixon
SOUTHAMPTON GROUP MEETUP
Southampton group have a booking for lunch at Gusto in town centre starting at 11.30 this Thursday 24 May. We look forward to all who can make it to enjoy a light Italian lunch and talk about all things Trieste. Hope to see you there. Anyone with travel problem...
Views: 40   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2018 7:56am
by Paula
Even Friuli Venezia Gulia at the wedding!
ROYAL WEDDING Un gradese il re dei tovaglioli alle nozze di Harry e Meghan Si chiama Luigi Spotorno ed è il maestro scelto per l’atteso matrimonio reale. Ha inventato il nuovo modello con cui verranno piegate le salviette a corte A little notice fro...
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 18, 2018 9:13pm
by Larry Southgate
A double-decker library.
Another little snippet from the Il Piccolo website today. Bringing books to the people in a double-decker called Denis. An idea of Sara, a Triestina and Simone from Treviso, both librarians, to bring books to the people of Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia. To...
Views: 56   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2018 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
Taxi drivers in revolt.
A little note from Il Piccolo web-site today which appears to have skipped by our newspapers. BELGRADE: A great European metropolis, paralized for more than 8 hours. By the anger of a few hundred taxi-drivers. This was the scene yesterday in Belgrade where, fr...
Views: 44   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2018 10:10pm
by Larry Southgate
Anniversaries?????????
Strange that so far this year there has been hardly any mention as to what signification 8 May holds. Well, on the night of 7 May I was in a convalescent depot in Hasselt in Belgium. Finally, the war was over. We were given permission by the CO of the convalesc...
Views: 46   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2018 9:44pm
by Larry Southgate
M.Escher
This artist has fascinated me for years.I have a large book full of much of his work.What a fantastic imagination
Views: 87   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 6, 2018 12:30pm
by Harry Dixon
Premium Bonds.
I never, until this evening, realised how very,very difficult it is nowadays to buy Premium Bonds. I had a windfall this month and as I have a few quid now in my bank, I thought I would buy some more Premium Bonds. I have a standing order with my bank to purchase...
Views: 38   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2018 8:31pm
by Larry Southgate
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10