Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
The Fraud Squad.
This may turn out to be a trifle long so if you want to scroll on, be my guest. Yesterday I deposited quite a large sum of money in my bank account as the result of an inheritance. Made one or two investments then decided to go on line in the afternoon and book ho...
Views: 79   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 4, 2018 1:54pm
by Harry Dixon
PHOTO: Escher's pictures were often mathematical puzzles.........
..... but this, in a current exhibition in the Netherlands, is an "Italian landscape". You don't have to like it - but it is very interesting.
Views: 47   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2018 3:04pm
by Harry Dixon
Bank Holiday weekend.
Seeing the weather forecast today, I note that they say we should have a 'fine' weekend with temperatures in the low 20s. That'll make a change from the normal because normally when it is a bank holiday weekend we generally get a downpour. Has to be seen to be be...
Views: 31   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 1, 2018 9:15pm
by Larry Southgate
TIME........?????
"It doesn't seem all that long ago that were there." Time flies. It's surely not all that long ago since...... All these thoughts must be fairly common. Yet the reality is there. We don't go out jogging because.....we don't feel like it or is it really that we ca...
Views: 101   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 1, 2018 10:55am
by Harry Dixon
Domain
When I logged on earlier I was met by a betting firm's advert. Some people enter the message forum via the website. I'm getting Bravenet to put it all right. There's a small notice saying that it expired on 20th April. This is not so. It is "recurred" automatically...
Views: 63   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 23, 2018 6:17pm
by Harry Dixon
The liner REX
A few years ago there was a lengthy correspondence in this forum about the wrecks seen in the bay by early BETFOR arrivals. One of the wrecks was that of the Rex, most famous of Italian liners. It was sunk by a British plane, possibly by rocket fire. Il Piccolo carr...
Views: 51   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 18, 2018 9:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Bobbies
Why do the Italians have so many different kinds. They often come under the general term of "vigili" and they include the vigili urbani, (ordinary town bobbies) and the carabinieri, who are said to be more military and who often carry arms. There has recently been...
Views: 64   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2018 9:37pm
by Larry Southgate
Il Piccolo Archived on the Web
There have been several items which seem to say that Il Piccolo's archives are to be made public on the web. I have tried to find a way in to see if there are items from the days of the FTT which can be seen - but so far I've been unsuccessful' I'd be very grateful i...
Views: 44   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 17, 2018 12:37pm
by Harry Dixon
2018 Grand National
Among the winners this year were BETFOR members, Les Bell, Geoffrey Jarman Bill Mills and Jim Greaves all of whom were at the Bedford reunion in March. Their respective Bank a/c's will be refreshed in the next day or two. Comiserations to several others whose nags...
Views: 48   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 15, 2018 10:51am
by roy boyles
Grump Pt3
Gold Coast Games.Why.Why.Why.do they persist in regarding rifle shooting as a sport?Are snipers sportsmen?Will the Israeli sharpshooters be rewarded with gold medals for every Palestinian shot? Bows and arrows are at least harmless,but if bycicle racing is a sporting...
Views: 72   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 15, 2018 8:53am
by Dave 796 RAF
grumpiness
Unlike Harry I confess to varied feelings of grumpiness.I lie awake in my lonely bed ,disapproving of many facets of modern behaviour.Not least of which is FACEBOOK.So much so that I recently disassociated my self from it's membership.An organisation which started so...
Views: 64   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 9, 2018 9:34pm
by Larry Southgate
Further grump[ness
Part 2 So well but now has devolved into an outfit which will sell it's members private information to anyone who can afford it.Furthermore the boss when invited to come and justify his actions by our Parliament,refuses and offers the services of two of his minions...
Views: 43   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 9, 2018 11:27am
by Roy Walter
Journal 61 Spring 2018
Well done Geoff for the latest journal bursting with interesting items. At double the size you had a big task this quarter. The photos from Bedford have come out really well, thanks. Very exciting to see the new member, Brian Collins, lives 5 minutes away from me....
Views: 39   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 8, 2018 2:29pm
by Paula
"Maturity"
"Maturity" is a positive thing; we like mature cheese, mature wine and we look down on immaturity, which we equate with silliness and excessive frivolity but we see around us every day, the downsides of getting "older". We sometimes read of "elderly" drivers, and fin...
Views: 47   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 8, 2018 1:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Why not say goonite or cheers when leaving our site?
Harry, is there any way you can put up a method of shutting down our web-site after one has visited? I hate having to just abandon the site without shutting it down. Seems like not saying bye-bye to a friend when you leave them after a drink in the pub. Not tha...
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 6, 2018 8:57pm
by Larry Southgate
Montalbano Comes North
TRIESTE Che il commissario Montalbano lasci la sua amata Sicilia è un evento davvero raro, ma questa volta il personaggio interpretato da Luca Zingaretti e nato dalla penna di Andrea Camilleri volerà in Friuli per indagare su un nuovo caso di omicidio....
Views: 60   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 6, 2018 8:51pm
by Larry Southgate
Easter greetings
Happy Easter to you all and hope you have not fallen for any April fools this morning! Thought it safe to post now that midday has passed. As my Italian family always send me on April 1st; Sono sbarcati i marziani, chiudetevi tutti in casa! Buon pesce d’a...
Views: 51   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 1, 2018 5:03pm
by Harry Dixon
Training for War!
I’ve been reading with amusement Harry’s accounts of his joining the Army so I thought I would add to the hilarity by recounting my experiences on joining the Army. I volunteered first of all to join the Air Force and went up to their offices in Bristo...
Views: 106   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 30, 2018 8:52pm
by Larry Southgate
Grumpy Old Men
Let me say straight away, “I am not a G.O.M.” It's true I'm pretty ancient I do sometimes find that I don't approve of one or two things, but there's always a reason for that I put a lot of it down to change, the modern tendency to alter things which a...
Views: 109   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 30, 2018 8:27pm
by Larry Southgate
Let's take the mickey!
I hope to paste hereunder a copy of an e-mail I received in my mail-box tonight. I will hopefully translate the sentences. Here's you chance to take part in a Survey from Italy and maybe have some effect. What the hell, let's take the mickey out of 'em! son...
Views: 36   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 28, 2018 9:06pm
by Larry Southgate
25th March 1950.
I got married to a beautiful young lady in Trieste on 25 March 1950. It was also on a Sunday and more to the point it was Easter Sunday. And this is the first time 25 March has fallen on a Sunday since then. More to the point, it has just missed being also East...
Views: 48   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2018 8:34pm
by Larry Southgate
LAST POST
It is with great sadness that I need to report the death of William Shortland who served in Ops Section of Trieste Security Office in 1953 and 1954. Bill is pictured on the left of this photograph, taken in 1953. He was the youngest in the section; he and I were t...
Views: 69   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2018 12:40pm
by Harry Dixon
Re: Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chapter 17A :
Good morning – Hopefully, by the time I have finished this mornings Chapter of these gripping episodes, I have managed to disconnect myself from Chapter 16. Fingers crossed, but I must say I have started this twice now and have switched myself off before I hav...
Views: 280   Replies: 15
Last Post: Mar 25, 2018 8:18am
by Dave 796 RAF
Cheltenham
Is the betting fraternity aware thatSIX more horses died at cheltenham last week?And do they care?Or do they regard the jockeys broken leg as more important?Comments please.
Views: 67   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 20, 2018 2:58pm
by Harry Dixon
Welsh regiments wearing a black ribbon on the back of their battle dress.
I was asked why the Welsh regiment wore black ribbons on the back of their uniform. The best I can come up with is when they wore a pig tail it was to keep the grease of the jacket Officers down to Sargent only.This was until 1900.I can find no defenat reason in any...
Views: 60   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 15, 2018 9:48pm
by Larry Southgate
NATIONAL SERVICE 2
It was clear to us in the sixth form at school that national service was going to affect us all. In 1947 85% of university places were reserved for returning ex-servicemen but it seemed sensible to try for a place. At University I shared digs with “Dusty”...
Views: 66   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 12, 2018 1:58pm
by Harry Dixon
Return of the happy wanderer.
And so we draw half of the curtain on the AGM of 2018. I arrived home safe and sound after o many twists and turns I almost told my chauffeur -my aon - to park the car and try and find a bus going somewhere near to our home. When are they going to fix the road n...
Views: 44   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2018 10:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Thanks to the committee .
Back home after attending the annual dinner last night and the AGM this morning. Thanks to the committee for their hard work during the year. It was great to put faces to names after three years membership. I will send the photos taken in Riobello restaurant to Ha...
Views: 55   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2018 7:38pm
by Paula
NATIONAL SERVICE
I have to admit I was less concerned with the “service” element than wondering what I could get out of it. What I'd heard from my former school mates wasn't encouraging. Tedium was one complaint; being subject the the whims of clowns was another. There's...
Views: 99   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 3, 2018 2:27pm
by Harry Dixon
regional meeting
Owing to the extreme weather heading our way I have cancelled the meeting booked for Friday 2nd Mar. and re-booked for Friday 16th Mar. All known regular attendees have been contacted and agreed on the new date. Meeting at The Rushbrooke Arms,Sicklesmere,B...
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2018 9:26am
by Charlie Dunnett
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10