Start a New Topic 
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Smog in Trieste
The Trieste Council has issued a decree that blocks all vehicular traffic from the town centre between the hours of 0930 to 1230 and from 1600 to 1900 because of the level of noxious fumes present in the air. But does that include the buses? A bit draconian after...
Views: 236   Replies: 9
Last Post: Mar 7, 2012 11:23am
by Harry Dixon
THE PONTE ROSSO BRIDGE.
If you Google, Old Map Trieste , the first item is an 1860 map by publisher STANGHI in Rome. By zooming in on to the canal it seems to indicate that the bridge could be opened in a circular movement. I have been looking at the map during the past 2 years or so, the...
Views: 194   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 5, 2012 3:18pm
by Liliana Pajola
MILITARY CEMETERY, TRIESTE
My uncle, John Ham, was an RASC driver who died in November 1953, aged 18. His records state that he's buried in the San Sabba Cemetery, Trieste. I'd like to go and pay my respects, but can't find out where the cemetery is actually located. I'm guessing it's a Britis...
Views: 380   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 5, 2012 3:03pm
by Liliana Pajola
Caffe San Marco
I happen to know the Barista of this place quite well. He also owns a B&B a couple of doors up the road where I sometimes stay when I go over to the city. Larry
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 2, 2012 11:29pm
by Larry Southgate
Canadian Geese
Some of you may have noticed on the nes today on TV that Canadian geese are wrecking hasvoc with the reeds in a certain part of the country by eating them young shoots. Well, apparently they have the very same problem on the border between Trieste and Monfalcone ac...
Views: 122   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 2, 2012 10:35pm
by Fred Greenwood
Thanks to One and All For the Advice Over the Years
want to thank all of you for your educational e-mails over the past year. I am totally screwed up now and have little chance of recovery. I can no longer let the waitress put lemon slices in my ice water without worrying about the bacteria on the lemon peel. I...
Views: 141   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 2, 2012 4:03pm
by Ray Griffiths
It's impossible, improbable, immaculately ungrammatical.
Why do certain words start with "im" and others with "un"? Examples: Possible -- impossible. Proper -- improper potent -- impotent mature -- immature. BUT: provoked -- unprovoked professional -- unprofessional done -- undone dignified -- undi...
Views: 168   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 2, 2012 3:39pm
by Dave RAF
A Yank's View of the World
I posted the following on the Yahoo Old soldiers' site a couple of days ago and never got a single response except a short statement by Larry. Obviously I am out of touch with what our American membership is interested in reading about so I thought I would give it a...
Views: 181   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 29, 2012 10:52pm
by Larry Southgate
READ ALL ABOUT IT
Have you bought my new Sunday paper ? The NOW is now history but Sunnnnday Sunnnn is here to stay.
Views: 164   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 28, 2012 10:29pm
by Larry Southgate
Drought
We up North would be distraught if you had to endure hardships like that and would not in any way like anything to spoil your enjoyment of your Olympics. By all means syphon off whatever you need from British waterways. It's fortunate that it's all downhill from Nor...
Views: 136   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 27, 2012 9:14pm
by Larry Southgate
29TH February
BETFOR was re-formed just after the last Leap Year in 2008. Do you know any Leaplings ? Are there are any of our members born on this day they may still be teensgers or 20 years old ? Anyone expecting a proposal of marriage ?
Views: 94   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 27, 2012 1:55pm
by Montebella Lill
A return of bad weather in Trieste.
I thought I would start a new thread as my last one got rather long. The folloswing is from the web-site of "Il Piccolo" of todays date 19 Feb 2012. METEO : The Bora and the frigidity returning to Trieste. Forecasst for tomorrow (Monday): A wave of cold air...
Views: 161   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 21, 2012 7:29pm
by Geoff Fleet 262 ...
THE HEALTH LOTTERY
Went to get my Sunday paper today, I believe there is to be a Sunday Sun soon ! In the shop was owner Arthur counting out £100 in tenners for a lady of slightly uncertain vintage who had won in Saturday evenings draw. She allowed me to stroke her coat saying "yo...
Views: 88   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 19, 2012 10:17pm
by Larry Southgate
The great white shark mystery
Harry and anybody else interested! The Museum of Cumano. Transfer without Culprits. The director of the Museum says: "No one is owning up to this unhappy idea". The relic shown in your photo was being transferred from the Museum in Piazza Hortis to the troops p...
Views: 158   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 19, 2012 9:05pm
by Larry Southgate
Even Adverts get things wrong.
Having had to spend the past two and a half months sat on my backside with nothing to do but read and watch TV I began to notice one or two adverts. Take a look at the SAGA Insurance advert next time it comes on. There is a red convertible car rolling down a stree...
Views: 134   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 18, 2012 6:24pm
by Harry Dixon
Bury St Edmunds Gathering,and Information Required.
Yesterday at a well attended Gathering,at the Rushbrooke ,we welcomed a new face to our Gang. Ken Chambers,served with the Northamptonshires,in Trieste,and was asking,do any of you remember the Bands of the Northants, Loyals,and North Staffs,Beating the Retreat,on t...
Views: 132   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 18, 2012 12:14pm
by Fred Greenwood
Fishing fleet in Trieste
Harry, those boats which used to light up the bay when out fishing in days gone by, were, according to the season fishing for mainly mackerel. The bay of Trieste used to be really flush with mackerel (sgombri for the Trieste fish market) but the bay used to be rich...
Views: 177   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 16, 2012 10:46pm
by Larry Southgate
Local Reunion, Lichfield
We had the usual good turnout yesterday at The Anchor, Streethay, Lichfield for our local reunion. 14 in all,9 lads and 5 lasses.
Views: 172   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2012 10:48am
by Colin Russell
Tom Carew OC Security office 1953
I was delighted to see the entry for my father, Tom Carew, who was OC for the security office in 1953. I would love to know who wrote the initial introduction to the piece and if anyone has any memories of my father. I have quite a few letters that he wrote from Tr...
Views: 215   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 14, 2012 11:02pm
by Harry Dixon
Anyone for fish for dinner?
I've already posted too much under the heading of Bora so thought I would make a new page to signal the last posting about the bora in Trieste. Here it comes: From “Il Piccolo” Monday 13 February 2012. TRIESTE – Frozen waters, death of the f...
Views: 111   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 14, 2012 2:47pm
by Roy Walter
My day on Tuesday !
Don't forget now. Are you making any plans or likely to receive a Valentine's message ?
Views: 132   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 12, 2012 9:35pm
by Larry Southgate
Bora
http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/cronaca/2012/02/02/news/la-bora-scoperchia-palazzo-carciotti-traffico-paralizzato-1.3136211 Bora a 130 Km/h With Bora, uncovered on the roof of the Palace Carciotti Rive
Views: 274   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 12, 2012 9:24pm
by Larry Southgate
ITALY v ENGLAND Saturday 11th February
Italy have come a long way since BETFOR played them, representing the British Army. They did well against France (who are likely to win the 6 Nations competition) and England have a relatively young and inexperienced side. Italy are very strong in the forwards and ma...
Views: 127   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 11, 2012 11:08pm
by Harry Dixon
Pedocin
Micaela, I doubt if any members knew or know of the name Pedocin. I had never heard of it until today when I read the page on the web-site of Il Piccolo. I always called it the Lanterna Vecchia but I have never been bathing there. I have been to the Maritime Mus...
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 10, 2012 10:10pm
by Larry Southgate
Pedocin
Bora for the fall of the wall separating the bathroom Ausonia and Pedocin . Those of you who went to Pedocin? Bye M. Bora a 140 Km/h
Views: 147   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 10, 2012 4:13pm
by Micaela
video bora
http://youtu.be/25JZmhs4wHM un bel video sulla Bora a Trieste febbraio 2012 A beautiful video of Bora in Triest February 2012
Views: 187   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 9, 2012 11:29pm
by Larry Southgate
SUPER BOWL 2012
Now we know who is playing in Indianapolis on 5th February, maybe time for the sages from Chicago and Virginia to give us their thoughts on the outcome. GIANTS v PATRIOTS.
Views: 173   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 9, 2012 10:35pm
by Gene Odom
Canal Grande
Harry, there did not exist a bridge at the beginning. If you wanted to get to the other side you either walked on water or detoured to the Church. BUT, did you know there used to be at one time also a Canale Piccolo?? If I'm not mistaken it ran up where the Via...
Views: 154   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 9, 2012 7:52pm
by Bernard E
REGIONAL GET TOGETHER - PLYMOUTH - 1ST MARCH
Having just booked my train tickets can I remind the usual participants of the above meeting at The Copthorne Hotel - 1130hrs. Please let me know whether OR NOT you hope to attend. It will save in phone calls. Any new faces will be especially welcome. Phone 01...
Views: 98   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 9, 2012 3:41pm
by Geoff Fleet 262 ...
In Like Flynn !
Gene started this off with the 1943 trial and I am sure everyone will have seen the 1938 film at some time or other.It is the definitive version of the ROBIN HOOD story. Olivia de Haviland, Flynn's MAID MARIAN is still with us (I think) aged 95 or thereabouts. Livi...
Views: 98   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 8, 2012 10:22am
by Roy Boyles
DAYS and DATES
Gene has posed a question about something that happened in 1943 when he was a boy (well almost a teenager)An all female jury....... S E X is involved I guess. Now we have got past February 6th to February 7th. Charles Dickens was born 200 years ago today. Do you t...
Views: 143   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 7, 2012 10:06pm
by Harry Dixon
Trieste Sites and History.
I have today received from a friend in Trieste the MOST BEAUTIFUL book I have ever seen about Trieste. It is really magnificent. It's a hard back, 12 inches by 9 inches and threequarters of an inch thick. Beautifully illustrated with explanations and diagrams. I...
Views: 192   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2012 9:59pm
by Larry Southgate
Things you didn't want to know!
Stuff you didn't know you didn't know! Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better. Coca-Cola was originally green. It is impossible to lick your elbow. The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska The...
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2012 5:10pm
by Larry Southgate
6th February 1953
"1952: King George VI dies in his sleep His Majesty, King George VI, has died peacefully in his sleep at Sandringham House. The official announcement from Sandringham, given at 1045 GMT, said the King retired in his usual health, but passed away in his sleep and...
Views: 329   Replies: 16
Last Post: Feb 7, 2012 4:26pm
by Ray Griffiths
DIPLOMATIC COURIER TS 1952
Guido, please tell us what role you played in the film. I had heard of it as a Tyrone Power vehicle ( as they say in best Hollywood style ) It was made in '52 after I had left TS and if your offer of a DVD copy is practicable I would love one. Patricia Neal was one...
Views: 299   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 5, 2012 7:09pm
by Harry Dixon
Correction re Local Meeting
Apologies my last note said the meeting was at 12.00, it should have read 11.30.
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2012 1:33pm
by John Barron
Local meeting
Just a reminder of my next meeting on Thursday 9th February 12.00 at the Encore PH, Commercial Road, Southampton. All welcome and I look forward to seeing you. My telephone number if you would like to contract me in 01794 514686
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2012 1:30pm
by John Barron
SIX NATIONS
Two matches today,Italy and France first and Scotland playing England at 5 o'clock with both matches on real television. I don't know whether England has sold off their home matches to the digger channel. England have a "caretaker" coach who has sacked some of the...
Views: 92   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 4, 2012 4:39pm
by Harry Dixon
Photos
I have placed some more photos from Micaela in the Trieste album. One photo, of the Palace of Justice, shows a large crowd examining the results of the attack by New Zealand troops in 1945. It was here that the last remnants of German resistance surrendered after bo...
Views: 140   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 2, 2012 2:16pm
by Harry Dixon
Cassino battle - Rome....
Some of you fought at Cassino, Anzio, Rome, Florence? Un caro saluto a tutti[:)] Micaela
Views: 180   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 2, 2012 10:23am
by Micaela
Il Canal Grande
It hardly lives up to its name. Apart from offering the reflections of the surrounding buildings it gives you the feeling that somehow it ought to be grander. Of course, at one time, it was. I understand that when it was built in the mid-eighteenth century the idea w...
Views: 148   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 31, 2012 2:48pm
by Harry Dixon
A new (?) friend in Trieste
As kindly invited by Reginald Burnthone, here I am. First, again sorry for my English truly not very good; sometime rather rough or even…”kinky”!  I am Guido. Born in Trieste, where I spent all my childhood and teenage. Today I am a .....
Views: 269   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 30, 2012 6:58pm
by Guido
Very Confusciously
Confucious did NOT say..... Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient. Passionate kiss, like spider web, leads to undoing of fly. Better to be pissed off than pissed on. Lady who goes camping must beware of evil intent. Squirrel who runs up womans' leg w...
Views: 111   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 30, 2012 2:33pm
by Wun Ung Lo
A small part of life's great tapestry.
Larry, do you think the following narration is appropriate for the BETFOR site? If so,would you post it for me? I feel like that sometimes I am getting a bit out in front of my place as an honorary member. I posted a slightly different version on the YAHOO site....
Views: 140   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 28, 2012 11:04am
by Roland
UP FOR THE CUP !
ANYONE GOT A TEAM OUT THERE ? Other than RAMS or TRACTOR BOYS OF COURSE. SEAGULLS PALACE GUNNERS PENSIONERS TOFFEE MEN.Colin's VILLAINS almost forgot them. SPURS WOLVES
Views: 157   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 26, 2012 3:56pm
by Roy Boyles
GOLDFINCHES
We sometimes think "our" "garden" birds have deserted us or been wiped out because we don't see them for a while but, of course, they're not ours and they're not garden birds they're just wild things looking for food and when the weather is mild and when there is ple...
Views: 128   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2012 3:36pm
by Harry Dixon
REGIONAL MEETING - CHEADLE
According to Roy Waters, the meeting on 17th January went off very well for the half dozen who turned up. Due to his current "war wound", Larry Southgate was unable to be there, but they have dedided to have another "do" on Tuesday, 13th March at 1230hrs. at the Mick...
Views: 116   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 24, 2012 1:16pm
by Harry Dixon
D.O.I.
OK, OK, then I'll start it! I was hoping someone would start a column about Dancing On Ice. If anyone thought learning to dance for Strictly was hard, they should take a gander at this programme. The way it's going so far, they'll be doing it on the linoleum in...
Views: 119   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 23, 2012 11:09pm
by Larry Southgate
Mindless test
CAN YOU READ THIS OKAY??? LET NE KNOW.................... Good example of a Brain Study. If you can read this you have a strong mind. 7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 7O PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5! 1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 N...
Views: 135   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 23, 2012 11:51am
by Fred Greenwood
answer Scottis Guards
Good morning everyone, I am of Trieste and would like to ask a few questions. How come there are the names of the soldiers of the Scots Guards? I would like to have information about them in the period 1945, in Rossetti Barracks. In the summer of 1945, there was a...
Views: 165   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 23, 2012 9:28am
by Micaela
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Free Forum powered by Bravenet