Start a New Topic 
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Headline News
I don't think this item in Il Piccolo today needs translating: Uruguay ok, inglesi quasi out Alle 18 gli azzurri in campo. Uruguay-Inghilterra 2-1: un gol per tempo per il bomber della "celeste" rimette in corsa i sudamericani Apparently the Azzurri could do us a...
Views: 116   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 20, 2014 7:02pm
by Harry Dixon
Information which could be useful.
About Eggs Mixed with Water... It could save your l Important Message!! Please take a few minutes & read. It could save your life!! Didn't know if you knew about eggs mixed with water.... So that is why I'm sending this on. Be Safe! A MESSAGE FROM THE OF...
Views: 142   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2014 10:41pm
by Larry Southgate
For the Egg-Heads.
Quiz for Bright People There are only nine questions. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.. 1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until t...
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2014 10:58pm
by Larry Southgate
Sounds a lot like the UK!
You should know that by today's standards none of us were ever supposed to make it. HIGH SCHOOL 1957 vs. 2010 Scenario 1: Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his...
Views: 118   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2014 10:12pm
by Larry Southgate
Be a computer wizard!
As we Silver Surfers know, sometimes we have trouble with our computers. I had a problem yesterday, so I called Eric, the 11 year old next door, whose bedroom looks like Mission Control, and asked him to come over. Eric clicked a couple of buttons and solved the...
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 17, 2014 10:11pm
by Larry Southgate
Misc.....
1 Photos are now back. 2 Fred has rapped my knuckles for getting the date of the next Rushbrooke gathering wrong. IT'S THE 25TH of JULY. I was a month out. My apologies. 3 Il Piccolo today reports that Rossetti Barracks has been vandalised.
Views: 130   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 17, 2014 9:42am
by Dave 796 RAF
All above board.....
All above board Decisions about where the World Cup should be placed are made entirely with the best interests of the "beautiful game" at heart. During the competition, all the best traditions of fairness and sportsmanship are observed; all officials are completely...
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 13, 2014 10:01am
by Harry Dixon
Giro d'Italia
Just a few of the 750+ Triestines who cycled the route which will be taken by the Giro when the peloton reaches Trieste, here they are passing the Maritime Station on the Riva where a "small" cruise line is alongside.
Views: 136   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 12, 2014 5:49pm
by Karletto
metal detecting i found...
Hello BETFOR, I am coming from Slovenia, living a mile from ITA border near Trieste. Anyway sometimes i am metal detecting and you should try it i am telling you. :) I was thinking to share this find with you. Searching around the fields of Basovizza all kinds...
Views: 164   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 2, 2014 8:38am
by Harry Dixon
Driving Hazards in EU.
Going on holiday to France this year? This happened to an Englishman in France who was totally drunk. The French policeman stops his car and asks the gentleman if he has been drinking. With great difficulty, the Englishman admits t...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 10, 2014 10:09pm
by Larry Southgate
Behind Enemy Lines.
Major Tom Carew was OC of TSO in 1952 and 1953. During the war he was a member of SOE and was parachuted twice into Burma, behind enemy lines, then later, into Europe. Tom Carew parachuted into France on the night of August 26, 1944, as a member of the Special Op...
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 9, 2014 4:34pm
by Harry Dixon
organ music
Good evening to all of the members that use the site. To dave 796 RAF YOu Are the only one that I know is a chapel goer.I am in the process of placing all my records on to CD disks, When I found one by D.J.Rees.At the organ of Alltwen Chapel, Pontardawe,Glamorgan. m...
Views: 183   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 8, 2014 8:36am
by Dave 796 RAF
My Annus Horribilis.
My Annus Horribilis. It started in March when I began to feel unwell. So much so I cancelled my attendance at the Annual Reunion. Shortly afterwards I felt worse, went to the doc who found I had a bad chest infection. Prescribed anti-biotics and off the boo...
Views: 128   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 4, 2014 9:13am
by Dave 796 RAF
PHOTO'S FROM D DAY DUXFORD UPLOADED
Harry ,You might like to know there are still intelligent Men about,but looking at Notice Board, in the Photo,not many of us qualify now. The Sgt said they find it hard to recruit suitable Men these Days,and they have run out of Brothel Creepers,Ha HA.I put this...
Views: 229   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 31, 2014 12:30pm
by brian
THE 2014 CARMEN MIRANDA WORLD CUP SWEEPSTAKE
Is now open for your forecasts. There are already 3 BETFOR members who have ventured their fiver (exactly one half of your annual membership fee) and the prize 'pot' stands at £300. Just email my agent in Nottingham Senor Roy and he will ensure that you have th...
Views: 110   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 28, 2014 12:13pm
by Roy Boyles
BETFOR Journal 45
The latest journal will hit the streets this week. My apologies for the late publication of the "Spring" issue, but I have been somewhat unwell for the last couple of months. I will try to catch up before the summer issue is due, but I am in need of some material....
Views: 213   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 27, 2014 4:25pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
Visit to TRIESTE - June 2014
In my new role of Chairman, let me bring you up to date with the arrangements for the 60th Anniversary trip to the old BETFOR parade grounds. It was my intention to lead the group. but ill health has caused me to withdraw from the delegation. I am grateful to ou...
Views: 145   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2014 3:24pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
Today at Rushbrooke HQ,
Went along to the Suffolk HQ today for the local Platoon of BETFOR Members Gathering. Sixteen Members turned out,all bright and bushy tailed,and enjoyed a nice Meal and Chat. Nobby Gane had an argument with his Mower starter cord,which needed a visit to to have his...
Views: 128   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 14, 2014 5:01pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
A View of the Fifties
John Australia has sent me a link to this video. It shows images which remind us of some of the nastier aspects as well as a fair amount of nostalgia.
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2014 7:07pm
by Harry Dixon
Trevor Lewis Jones, ACC and RASC 1951 - 1953
I have received a note from John Barron to say that their group was joined recently by Simon Jones whose father, Trevor Lewis Jones, served with BETFOR from 1951 to 1953, first with the Catering Corps and then with the RASC where he was a driver. Simon is to join the...
Views: 138   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2014 2:01pm
by Harry Dixon
Date of next two meetings
The dates of our next meetings are Thursday 11th September and Thursday 11th December 12.00 at the usual venue, The Encore PH Commercial Road, Southampton. All welcome. Contact me on 01794 514686 or e-mail. A big thank you to all the people who attended the mee...
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 9, 2014 4:35pm
by John Barron
BELFAST TO TRIESTE Giro d'Italia 2014
The first of the 'classics' this year beginning next week. Picture please, Mr Webmaster
Views: 178   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 8, 2014 10:23pm
by Harry Dixon
Just noticed the date
May the 4th be with you !
Views: 129   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 5, 2014 9:57am
by Dave 796 RAF
Larry
It must have occurred to all of us that there's recently been a notable absentee from this feast of wit and wisdom - Larry. I've just been talking to him and hes just the same old --- what's the word? --- but he's been under the weather, in some pain, not able to get...
Views: 167   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 4, 2014 9:08pm
by Elisabetta Bened...
BETFOR SUBS. 2014-15
Since the AGM last weekend I am getting enquiries from members. WHERE DO I SEND THE MONEY.? Our new Treasurer is Roland Cole, 8 Broadacres. Coven, Staffs. WV0 6 AG. Please make out cheques to BETFOR ASSOCIATION. Full membership is £10, Associate £5. Th...
Views: 231   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 30, 2014 7:31pm
by Roland Cole
GREETINGS & MORE TALES OF WALES - Chapt. 2
Good evening all – and may I wish you a successful New Year, even if it is a few days late. I do hope you enjoyed the Christmas season and that the rather rough weather didn’t affect anyone too badly. There were some rough patches up this way, but here ou...
Views: 351   Replies: 14
Last Post: Apr 27, 2014 9:21am
by Dave 796 RAF
A Strange Tale
Last December I received an email from Marijan Basic who lives in Finland but whose family came from a small village in the South of the Istrian peninsula. Like many people who were not communist sympathisers, they were forced to flee from Istria. Many fled during th...
Views: 202   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 26, 2014 6:43pm
by Harry Dixon
Barry Buxton
You will see from the Last Post that one of our longest serving members, Barry Buxton, died last Sunday. I have sent his widow, Jeanne, a card from the Association. I have no doubt some members will wish to attend his funeral when details are known
Views: 123   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 24, 2014 11:30am
by Geoff Fleet 262
What a small World we live in.
Good morning to you all shame about the weather. Yesterday I ordered some three D printer cartridges from a firm in Memphis Tennessee USA.This was about ten o clock as the box is large I asked for economy class postage. At nine thirty this morning the cartridges arri...
Views: 152   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 22, 2014 7:33pm
by Roland Cole
OS.........
The Ordnance Survey…as you’d expect from the name,they started making maps to make it easier for the army – in fact to subdue the Scots. Almost all of the work of the Royal Artillery depends on accurate mapping – or at least it used to do....
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 20, 2014 1:44pm
by Harry Dixon
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35