BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
Last Post
Sgt. Thomas Singleton - RASC.
Does anyone remember Sgt. Thomas Singleton RASC or his colleague Roy Lee. His daughter, who was born in BMH, Trieste in 1951 during her father's service there would like to know more.
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 20, 2012 4:09pm
by Colin Russell
Halfway through the qualifiers I am proposing a second chapter. You may remember me if you had piano lessons when you were little.Urgently needed initially are a Croatian and an Italian.(a certain lady comes to mind) Juan and Seamus will return later today with their...
Views: 295   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 11:18pm
Lichfield Local Reunion
The Lichfield Local Reunion last Wednesday again had a good turnout 18 in all. 10 lads and 8 lasses.It was nice to see Eileen Simpson who had driven from Stoke on Trent to join us.
Views: 103   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 5:48pm
by Ray Griffiths
There are few advantages to being bald and that is something that's interesting scientists of several disciplines. We are said to lose our attractiveness to women and that concerms evolutionary biologists because, in theory, we should have died out and been replaced...
Views: 250   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 17, 2012 10:21pm
by .Larry Southgate
Fingers crossed for visit to Trieste.
From 'Il Piccolo' of today. BAD WEATHER ON THE WAY. Meteorological office issues an alert for Friuli-Venezia Giulia. The Regional Civil Protection Agency warns: 'from Tuesday two days of very intense rain. South-westerly gales forecast along the coast. Meteo...
Views: 211   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 17, 2012 10:08pm
by .Larry Southgate
Thanks for the Bloomsday shot Reggie. Several members may recall walking by the canal down to the coach taking us to visit Lazzaretto that day in 2009. I get regular calls from members about both Lazzaretto and Rossetti barracks. Just discovered that the first Bloom...
Views: 99   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 16, 2012 2:06pm
by Reginald Bunthor...
It's all Greek to me.
E = mc2. or something like that, but can anyone tell what the blazes does it mean? Larry
Views: 449   Replies: 32
Last Post: Jun 16, 2012 12:47pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Welcomes are knowing what starts today.! How many of you will say something, anything in the next three weeks ? It will be very hard to avoid, try as you might. Creekit. Will the sun shine ever again ?
Views: 503   Replies: 36
Last Post: Jun 14, 2012 8:34am
by Richard Tauber
Views: 145   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 13, 2012 11:06pm
by Fred Greenwood
New Fangled Things
In general, I prefer old things to new but there are some new things that seem to me to have real benefits - big, flat-screened televisions and computer monitors, mobile phones with decent cameras and, only recently the Kindle. We buy a lot of books and books are...
Views: 538   Replies: 27
Last Post: Jun 13, 2012 10:12pm
by Dave 796 RAF
AFN Disc Jockey.
Trieste 1953 disc jockey Eddie Fisher who was he?
Views: 120   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 13, 2012 9:51am
by Brian
Are'nt we lucky?
Now that the Jubilee nonsense is over, it is worth noting that the Egyptians have recently sentenced their unelected ruler to life imprisonment. We on the other hand, allowed our Establishment to organise a royal celebration to mask the problems they have saddled us...
Views: 213   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jun 11, 2012 4:52pm
by .Larry Southgate
Earth in Italy.
Just a little snippet of news from Italy. Larry From: Guido Marchesini Date: 2012/5/20 Subject: Earthquake To: Larry Southgate This is from a friend of mine in the zone of the earthquake in Northern Italy which struck at 04.04 hours Sunday m...
Views: 261   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 10, 2012 11:06pm
by .Larry Southgate
Woh yer Sah Boh 3
FIRST AN ODE TO ARRY. It's hard to soothe ole Arry's Finger. Without putting him through the Wringer; I thought about telling him ,to take a Hike. Then i know he likes to Bike. So i guess to make him Cheer. Iwill have to suggest a Beer. And to get him in...
Views: 803   Replies: 32
Last Post: Jun 10, 2012 10:50pm
by Fred Greenwood
Regional Meeting
My next regional meeting will be on Thusday August 9th at 11.30 at the usual venue, The Encore PH, Commercial Road, Southampton. All welcome and I look forward to seeing you. Contact me on 01794 514686 or e-mail my wife Marion on
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 10, 2012 12:17pm
by John Barron
Looking forward to sunbathing in Barcola?
Taken from the pages of "Il Piccolo" today 5 June. SUMMER IS MAKING US WAIT WITH A CAPRICIOUS JUNE. The weather forecast: Persistant variability with frequent showers. The start of the summer season very uncertain, the real warmth is not likely to arrive until...
Views: 118   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 7, 2012 10:09pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Fred wonders how the Italian lira would shape up these days. Have just returned from Turkey where it is the currency although pounds are widely accepted and Euro's are also quoted. Now that the new rates have been in operation for 3 years or so, 1 Lira is just about...
Views: 105   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 6, 2012 4:14pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Here we are - a fresh volume all waiting for something exciting to be posted! 'Night All!
Views: 545   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 10:30pm
by Dave 796 RAF
We have a Beer and Cider Festival on in the village over the weekend. It happens every year on this date. This time there are some Union flags flying so there must be something else on. Do you remember 2nd June all those years ago ?
Views: 202   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 10:11pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Not quite negotiation with a'fairy godfather' who might provide some prize funding if we meet his conditions. No it is not Abramovich but he comes from the TS area. What would help is a promise to take part by some of you.
Views: 342   Replies: 16
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 8:33am
by Roy Boyles
Excitement in Springfield, VA, USA
For the past couple of hours we have been under severe tornado warnings, flood warnings, heavy rain and hail. This has been going on for several hours. Some areas are receiving two to three inches of rain an hour. Nora and I are sitting here in our basement watchi...
Views: 136   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 3, 2012 10:14pm
by .Larry Southgate
Anyone fancy a cruise? - and courage of a young girl.
Fancy a cruise,anyone? Something I was unaware of but it seems that in 2011 a new line of communication by ship between Trieste and Pola was set up. And then, this year, nearly cancelled by lack of funds from the Trieste Council. These have now been restituted an...
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2012 9:40pm
by Larry Southgate
Drilling for water around Trieste.
I was told the other day that British Forces did some drilling for water wells back in the fifties. It was supposedly done to check the underground flow of water, and if the water was flowing from certain areas (Yugoslavia). Can anyone confirm this story?
Views: 72   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 1, 2012 11:50pm
by .Larry Southgate
Staying in Trieste.
Wanted. One single person who fancies sharing a private flat with me in Trieste between 19 June and 10 July. Separate bedrooms, share kitchen and bathroom. Top end of the Viale XX Settembre. Gratis. Phone me or e-mail me soonest. Larry
Views: 85   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 31, 2012 1:06pm
by Roy Boyles
A Yellow Pages Mystery in Trieste.
On the 2nd of May, in the sea between Grignano and Miramare, a body was found floating. After some investigative work by the local CID, it turns out it was the body of an Austrian male, called Wolfgang Machin, 42 years old, who was a renowned expert in "special eff...
Views: 182   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 31, 2012 8:36am
by Roy Boyles
Unione Sportiva Triestina Calcio (3)
Time for another chapter heading as we have lots of readers about the Halberds. The long trip south to Sicily and Siracusa brought nil reward for Galderisi and the team. The league leaders won with a goal in each half 2-0. After the other results, the other Sicili...
Views: 436   Replies: 30
Last Post: May 29, 2012 3:50pm
by Roy Walter
Old Fashioned Things
Listening to the the folks who do gardens at Chelsea last night, I heard somebody say that Chris Beardshaw had been "very courageous" because he had some rhodedendrons and azaleas in his garden. Apparently they are "old fashioned". I'd never realised that plants coul...
Views: 178   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 28, 2012 1:20pm
by Harry Dixon
A new problem for the EURO.
We are all aware of the problems of the Euro at the moment but here is a little aside problem as reported in Il Piccolo today. Apparently 4 Italian MPs have registered a complaint in Brussels with the European Commission about a 2 Euro coin issued by the Slovenian...
Views: 95   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 25, 2012 10:54pm
by .Larry Southgate
Re-unions in the Beds/ Northants area.
Members Derek Bird (655)and Dennis Goodyear (730) are interested in setting up a regular get-together in the Beds/Northants area and wish to find out if there is support for the idea. If you are interested, please get in touch with Derek on 01582 969603.
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2012 6:53pm
by Harry Dixon
EDU Trawsfynnyd and Trieste
Hi Fred Just trawling when I came across your web. By a strange coincidence I was posted to EDU Traws.... from May 1952 to October 1952 and then Trieste till October 1954. We had to get out quickly before the authorities changed their mind so I was in the last bat...
Views: 552   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 19, 2012 11:13am
by Fred Hopper 212
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49