BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Drilling for water around Trieste.
I was told the other day that British Forces did some drilling for water wells back in the fifties. It was supposedly done to check the underground flow of water, and if the water was flowing from certain areas (Yugoslavia). Can anyone confirm this story?
Views: 72   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 1, 2012 11:50pm
by .Larry Southgate
Staying in Trieste.
Wanted. One single person who fancies sharing a private flat with me in Trieste between 19 June and 10 July. Separate bedrooms, share kitchen and bathroom. Top end of the Viale XX Settembre. Gratis. Phone me or e-mail me soonest. Larry
Views: 85   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 31, 2012 1:06pm
by Roy Boyles
A Yellow Pages Mystery in Trieste.
On the 2nd of May, in the sea between Grignano and Miramare, a body was found floating. After some investigative work by the local CID, it turns out it was the body of an Austrian male, called Wolfgang Machin, 42 years old, who was a renowned expert in "special eff...
Views: 181   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 31, 2012 8:36am
by Roy Boyles
Unione Sportiva Triestina Calcio (3)
Time for another chapter heading as we have lots of readers about the Halberds. The long trip south to Sicily and Siracusa brought nil reward for Galderisi and the team. The league leaders won with a goal in each half 2-0. After the other results, the other Sicili...
Views: 429   Replies: 30
Last Post: May 29, 2012 3:50pm
by Roy Walter
Old Fashioned Things
Listening to the the folks who do gardens at Chelsea last night, I heard somebody say that Chris Beardshaw had been "very courageous" because he had some rhodedendrons and azaleas in his garden. Apparently they are "old fashioned". I'd never realised that plants coul...
Views: 177   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 28, 2012 1:20pm
by Harry Dixon
A new problem for the EURO.
We are all aware of the problems of the Euro at the moment but here is a little aside problem as reported in Il Piccolo today. Apparently 4 Italian MPs have registered a complaint in Brussels with the European Commission about a 2 Euro coin issued by the Slovenian...
Views: 94   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 25, 2012 10:54pm
by .Larry Southgate
Re-unions in the Beds/ Northants area.
Members Derek Bird (655)and Dennis Goodyear (730) are interested in setting up a regular get-together in the Beds/Northants area and wish to find out if there is support for the idea. If you are interested, please get in touch with Derek on 01582 969603.
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2012 6:53pm
by Harry Dixon
EDU Trawsfynnyd and Trieste
Hi Fred Just trawling when I came across your web. By a strange coincidence I was posted to EDU Traws.... from May 1952 to October 1952 and then Trieste till October 1954. We had to get out quickly before the authorities changed their mind so I was in the last bat...
Views: 542   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 19, 2012 11:13am
by Fred Hopper 212
Mysterious romance.
She took his hand gently in hers and slowly raised it towards her breast. To be continued.
Views: 542   Replies: 37
Last Post: May 18, 2012 9:41am
by Zar Kastik
Now that was MUSIC!
Did any of you watch the programme on the BBC "The Young Musician of the Year 2012. Now there was music with a capital M. My gosh, but those youngsters showed that not all of the young folks are yobboes. And whoever thought that a Recorder could produce that ki...
Views: 201   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 17, 2012 12:08pm
by Bernard Evans
Stockport/Manchester Reunion
AND a convivial lunch was enjoyed today in the Crown Carvery, Micker Brook on Councillor Lane, Cheadle, SK8 5NU. AND this time we were pleased to welcome our Chairman, John Darby and his delightful wife. In all a gathering of 10 including three wives and just for...
Views: 57   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 16, 2012 11:57am
by Dave 796 RAF
Temperatures falling? in Trieste.or 'Elf and Safety going astray again?
An article in todays edition of Il Piccolo provides rather interesting if slightly alarming notice of the errors found in thermometers in the city hospitals. It appears that the new high-tech infra-red thermometers brought into use in 2009, and in use in the two big...
Views: 91   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 15, 2012 10:37pm
by Dave 796 RAF
TO EACH HIS OWN
This did not get much of a run when Gene gave us all the words the other day. There is a whole range of versions on YT. Larry now acknowledges that he does look on occasion so who are the favourites is it male or female ?
Views: 84   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 15, 2012 9:19pm
by Gene's Choice.!
RADIO 4 EXTRA
Does anyone remember me ? If you have a digital radio it's a real trip down memory lane.
Views: 140   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 15, 2012 9:00pm
by Stan Deesea
Greeting from RAF - Vol.2
By popular request - and due to immoral persuasion of threats to my dignity and standing in the community, I have started on Volume 2. My thanks to all you out there who seemed to find something from reading these pages![:)] See last posts in Vol.1 which reveals the...
Views: 760   Replies: 30
Last Post: May 14, 2012 9:59pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Weather in Trieste.
Up until Saturday p.m, almost summerlike, with a peak of 31 Degrees C, then in the evening of Saturday, a very brusque change with a wave of Scandinavian cold air arriving with thunderstorms, hailstorms, bora in Trieste up to 100 Km/h and a drop of 15C in temperature...
Views: 124   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 13, 2012 11:04pm
by Larry Southgate
An economic crisis in Italy???
Just thought you folks might like to see this. And you thought Italy was suffering from an economic crisis? An article in “Il Piccolo” today sets out the following: A “spending bonus” in arrival for families. The regional council var...
Views: 166   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 13, 2012 10:59pm
by Larry Southgate
Trees
In the picture taken from the tower of Duino Castle you can see a lot of dark, thin, pointy coniferous trees. Does anyone know what they are called? The nearest I've been able to find in garden centres is called "Sempervirens" - I think it's a form of yew. It's tall...
Views: 145   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 13, 2012 9:36am
by Harry Dixon
GRAND NATIONAL EURO 2012
Just to let you all know that the final payouts went through my bank account yesterday. 6 BETFOR members won a total of £220 when their horses were in the first four or the final two to finish. Most of the entries came from our Bury AGM but the £60 winner...
Views: 339   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 12, 2012 7:55pm
by BETFOR BOOKIE
Betting Wins Hands Down
When The Unknown Author first put finger to keyboard, Roy voiced concern - and rightly so because we don't want anything unseemly on our message board. Do we ??? However it turns out to be a good deal less exciting than the IKEA instructions for a wardrobe. Wha...
Views: 163   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 12, 2012 9:41am
by Dave 796 RAF
May
"Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May And Summer's lease hath all too short a date." I know our Bill's stuff isn't as good as what you get on here but it's quite nice isn't...
Views: 97   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 11, 2012 9:59pm
by Zar Kastik
Duino Castle
What a lovely picture of Duino castle on the masthead. Is it a current picture or is it a picture when the Commanding General of allied military government had his headquarters there. I never got to go near the castle during the three and one-half years I was stati...
Views: 301   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 10, 2012 10:36pm
by Liliana Pajola
A house in New Orleans.
This might start some of you singing again. We've been a bit short on songs just lately. Try this for size: There is a house in New Orleans, That's called the?????????????? Nah, it's up to you lot to start humming and finishing it off.[:D][:-D][:-D][:-?][:-?]
Views: 102   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 9, 2012 9:47pm
by Larry Southgate
questions
With that you ship back to England? Since 1945 ... In your email tell me a bit 'of your experiences. :) We do not know much.
Views: 140   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 9, 2012 9:13pm
by Liliana Pajola
Brotherly Love!!?
You've probably all read about our problems with "Travellers" in this country. Well, this week in "Il Piccolo" there has been an interesting article about how they treat them in other places. This happened in a place called Skabrnja, on the outskirts of Zara in Cr...
Views: 333   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 8, 2012 10:12pm
by Dave 796 RAF
JUVENTUS WIN SCUDETTO
The black and whites win Serie A for the first time in 9 years in TRIESTE. The Halberds were not the opposition, they have to avoid relegation from League One over the next 2 weekends. Thanks to Inter beating Milan, whatever happens in the final game Juventus win th...
Views: 53   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2012 9:52pm
by Dave 796 RAF
New Photos
There are some excellent new photos in two albums. Steve Orton has contributed a number and they are in the North Staffs album. Gordon Bishop has uploaded some of the 2012 Bury reunion and they are in that album.
Views: 152   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2012 1:34pm
by Harry Dixon
Politics in the FTT.
I recently mentioned the role of TSO in molitary and political intelligence. There was also the work of TSO's Port Section, largely concerned with Russian ports on the Black Sea. I thought it would be useful to sketch out the political situation. The Political Lan...
Views: 178   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2012 7:25pm
by Harry Dixon
Kentucky Derby
I haven't seen anything about the running of the Kentucky Derby on this site this year. It is probably the greatest horse race for three year old horses in the world. The race will be held in Louisville, KY., USA on May 5th. It is also known for the consumption of...
Views: 145   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 6, 2012 2:58pm
by Gene Odom
Youngest Member in BRTFOR
Gordon Bishop born 2nd November 1935. Enlisted in R.E.M.E.on the 2nd MAY 1953 aged 171/2 years. Served in TRIESTE at 20 INFANTRY WORKSHOPS R.E.M.E.untill the pullout in 1954 still only 18 years old. Left the army in 1956 after serving 3 years and still only 20 yea...
Views: 218   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 5, 2012 11:35am
by Gordon Bishop
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49