Start a New Topic 
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
4th July
Hello Gene. Your national day today. Just to let you know we do realise. Give us a report of events around you. Have a nice day !
Views: 83   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 4, 2012 9:06pm
by Gene
Marmalade.
I have had a heartfelt plea from our Honorary Member in Trieste, Liliana. She says she cannot find any decent marmalade in the town. I will be taking two vases with me but anyone else going to Trieste who feel they could also manage one vase would be doing the la...
Views: 179   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 3, 2012 3:19pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Visiting Triest. Meeting with the students of English language courses
Hello, I attend an English course. My school organizes many activities, and we would like to have a meeting among BETFORs and teacher and students, in June. Some of you could speak about your staying in Triest, or about your experiences in war, and chat with the st...
Views: 235   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 3, 2012 12:41am
by Liliana Pajola
TRIESTE WEATHER. RED ALERT !
With Larry away in Trieste I'll keep an eye on Il Piccolo. I hope he's taken his Panama. Il Piccolo has passed on a Red Alert about the heat, saying that temperatures are expected to rise to 34 degrees and humidity to rise from 45% to 70% so that it will feel more...
Views: 156   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 3, 2012 12:29am
by Liliana Pajola
Expensive parking
I parked my car at Stafford Hospital for about an hour and half.On leaving I took my token to the machine to pay I could not believe what I saw the charge to get out was £1284-24 Has I do not carry this much change as it pulls my trouser pockets out of shape.I c...
Views: 91   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 1, 2012 10:12am
by Roland
IL PICCOLO TODAY
A third bridge for the grand canal. Lack of public funds has meant the abandonment of many schemes but one, whcih ahs been under discussion for some years and has been on then off, now seems certain to go ahead, the building of a third bridge across the "Grand Canal"...
Views: 95   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 30, 2012 2:57pm
by Harry Dixon
SUNDAY SPECIAL EURO 2012
Sorry to stop you in your tracks chaps but now the hosts are just onlookers and that the thread has gone on to a second page (unheard of, I believe) perhaps Mr Bunthorne will confirm that( you never got long sentences like this in the days of the NOW)! We have heard...
Views: 334   Replies: 35
Last Post: Jun 29, 2012 11:09am
by Otto von Bismarc...
IL PICCOLO TODAY
Aeroporto privatizzato, Roma pronta a dare l’OK. That is the headline. You don't have to be a linguist to make out that the "privatisation of Ronchi is just round the corner" - as the article goes on to say - and that Rome is ready to give the idea the thumb...
Views: 161   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 28, 2012 3:33pm
by Harry Dixon
CONGRATULATIONS ITALY !
Italy were by far the better side and thoroughly deserved their win.
Views: 101   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 27, 2012 4:55pm
by Giovanni Peroni
From IL Piccolo.
The picture above, from a number supplied by Michaela, is of the Palazzo Carciotti which we featured with others from the area of the Grand Canal. It stands on the side opposite to the former BETFOR HQ and we showed a picture of the cupola which was damaged by the Bo...
Views: 118   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 26, 2012 2:42pm
by Harry Dixon
PMQs
Have anyone noticed at PMQ in the commons on the front benches trying their hardest to imitate Churchills nodding dog Oh Yes
Views: 195   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 25, 2012 4:30pm
by Dave 796 RAF
When is a phone not a phone?
The answer seems to be, "Now". I'm talking about mobile phones, of course but bear in mind that many households now don't have a landline; they always use a mobile. A survey says that only about a third of "phone" use these days has anything to do with phoning so...
Views: 323   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 25, 2012 3:44pm
by Dave 796 RAF
WITAJCIE W POLSCIE PART 3
I am back and saying we can win it ! Not too many believe me so I have to do my stuff TONIGHT. Of course I am now a more mature player, with full head of hair. Don't ask how much it cost ! Still had enough to get Coleen and the nipper here by private jet without brea...
Views: 579   Replies: 44
Last Post: Jun 25, 2012 3:27pm
by Representative o...
New Scientist
There's always something to make you think in New Scientist. It isn't always an easy read but it usually has something to challenge accepted views. Sometimes it takes you into areas where there are no answers and maybe never will be, but at least you know that others...
Views: 121   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 24, 2012 2:26pm
by Dave 796 RAF
do you know it Bernard
Re the plane shown on our message Board ( do you know it Bernard) Yes I do, its a de Havilland 82 commonly known as a Tiger moth.If this is one of Fred,s shots taken recently at Duxford it is most probably owned and operated By Classic Wings, it isn't the tiger moth...
Views: 139   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 23, 2012 11:26am
by Bernard Evans
THE HOPPER 60th ANNIVERSARY
Just as our little band are off to TS this week we have a Diamond Wedding anniversary for Audrey and Fred in Gateshead. Just a few weeks before Jeanne and Barry Buxton have theirs in Northampton ( more precisely the Grand Union Canal) I was a colleague of Barry's i...
Views: 127   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 21, 2012 9:46pm
by Dave 796 RAF
British Military Cemetery, Trieste
Many thanks to Harry Dixon, Larry Southgate and others, who kindly gave me directions to the cemetery when I enquired on this forum a few months ago. My wife and I visited the cemetery on 6th June, and left flowers at my Uncle's grave (RASC driver John Ham). I didn't...
Views: 355   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 21, 2012 12:23pm
by John Burdett
JOURNAL 38. SUMMER 2012
Stand by for your next edition any day very soon
Views: 194   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 20, 2012 9:17pm
by Fred Hopper 212
Il Piccolo today.
The football headline is, "Italy gets the England of Rooney and Hodgson". The piece goes on to describe the match as one pitching City against United, the two clubs of Manchester. The quarter final in Kiev will be Balotelli against Rooney, the "bomber of United".
Views: 122   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 20, 2012 8:46pm
by Fabio Rodela
Sgt. Thomas Singleton - RASC.
Does anyone remember Sgt. Thomas Singleton RASC or his colleague Roy Lee. His daughter, who was born in BMH, Trieste in 1951 during her father's service there would like to know more.
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 20, 2012 4:09pm
by Colin Russell
WITAJCIE W POLSCIE continued
Halfway through the qualifiers I am proposing a second chapter. You may remember me if you had piano lessons when you were little.Urgently needed initially are a Croatian and an Italian.(a certain lady comes to mind) Juan and Seamus will return later today with their...
Views: 296   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 11:18pm
by MACCARONI MAN
Lichfield Local Reunion
The Lichfield Local Reunion last Wednesday again had a good turnout 18 in all. 10 lads and 8 lasses.It was nice to see Eileen Simpson who had driven from Stoke on Trent to join us.
Views: 107   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 18, 2012 5:48pm
by Ray Griffiths
SLAPHEADS OF THE WORLD.
There are few advantages to being bald and that is something that's interesting scientists of several disciplines. We are said to lose our attractiveness to women and that concerms evolutionary biologists because, in theory, we should have died out and been replaced...
Views: 256   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 17, 2012 10:21pm
by .Larry Southgate
Fingers crossed for visit to Trieste.
From 'Il Piccolo' of today. BAD WEATHER ON THE WAY. Meteorological office issues an alert for Friuli-Venezia Giulia. The Regional Civil Protection Agency warns: 'from Tuesday two days of very intense rain. South-westerly gales forecast along the coast. Meteo...
Views: 212   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 17, 2012 10:08pm
by .Larry Southgate
BLOOMS DAY REMEMBERED
Thanks for the Bloomsday shot Reggie. Several members may recall walking by the canal down to the coach taking us to visit Lazzaretto that day in 2009. I get regular calls from members about both Lazzaretto and Rossetti barracks. Just discovered that the first Bloom...
Views: 103   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 16, 2012 2:06pm
by Reginald Bunthor...
It's all Greek to me.
E = mc2. or something like that, but can anyone tell what the blazes does it mean? Larry
Views: 458   Replies: 32
Last Post: Jun 16, 2012 12:47pm
by Dave 796 RAF
WITAJCIE W POLSCIE
Welcomes BETFOR.you are knowing what starts today.! How many of you will say something, anything in the next three weeks ? It will be very hard to avoid, try as you might. Creekit. Will the sun shine ever again ?
Views: 512   Replies: 36
Last Post: Jun 14, 2012 8:34am
by Richard Tauber
Duxford
[8-)][8-)]
Views: 147   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 13, 2012 11:06pm
by Fred Greenwood
New Fangled Things
In general, I prefer old things to new but there are some new things that seem to me to have real benefits - big, flat-screened televisions and computer monitors, mobile phones with decent cameras and, only recently the Kindle. We buy a lot of books and books are...
Views: 550   Replies: 27
Last Post: Jun 13, 2012 10:12pm
by Dave 796 RAF
AFN Disc Jockey.
Trieste 1953 disc jockey Eddie Fisher who was he?
Views: 127   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 13, 2012 9:51am
by Brian
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50