BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
WOT YAR DOIN BOH 2
Thought i had better start another Thread, As my ole Mate gotta sore head. The many posts have been a pleasure And all your thoughts,i will Treasure. This weekend has been on the cold side,so i did not put my Tatters in the Garden. The other night,it wer...
Views: 597   Replies: 37
Last Post: Apr 28, 2012 9:52pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Backroads on the Carso plateau.
Can't wait 'til June comes, along with some BETFOR tourists. When you moved around in Carso, did you use the backroads (used by German troops), or the provincial roads? Did you have camps set up away from your normal barracks? Does anyone remember the story about the...
Views: 159   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 28, 2012 9:20pm
by Larry Southgate
Region Meeting- Lichfield
We had a good turnout at The Anchor, Streethay today. Even though the weather was terrible, 16 attended. 10 lads and 6 lasses.We all enjoyed a very nice lunch. Marlene who hit the headlines on the front page of the latest journal was there but as there were no musici...
Views: 110   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 27, 2012 12:14pm
by Ray Griffiths
Want an 'uplifting' holiday?
Taking the afternoon off from my usual job of lying flat on my back to aid the recovery of my damaged ankle and thought this might interest any of you looking for an adventurous type of holiday. LOOKING FOR A HOLIDAY WITH A DIFFERENCE? Want to get away from it...
Views: 145   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 26, 2012 6:09pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Shakespeare's birthday and St George's day
The game's afoot: Follow your spirit, and upon this charge Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!' (Prince Henry's speech before the battle of Harfleur in Shakespeare's Henry iv Pt 1) St George has been honoured since the middle ages but I still don'...
Views: 220   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 25, 2012 9:45pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Chinese "Consum'er Indoors" in Trieste.
I often wondered why Roy wanted to hire the Hotel Italia in Via Geppa. Have I discovered a dark secret? I took a look at 'Il Piccolo' before coming here tonight and lo and behold, I discovered that in Via Geppa the Police had been taking an interest in a certain...
Views: 325   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 22, 2012 5:08pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Greetings From RAF
Fingers crossed that I have accessed the system correctly! I was stationed in Trieste 1952/52 as part of the RAF detachment as a Leading Aircraftsman (ground wireless operator). There were only five members: Our Squadron Leader, a Warrant Officer (Signals), an SAC T...
Views: 1879   Replies: 82
Last Post: Apr 21, 2012 9:57am
by Dave 796 RAF
Wish You Could Be Here
Yesterday here in the Washington, DC area we saw a once in a life time scene. As you probably know NASA has retired the space shuttle Discovery. At about 9:30 AM, Nora and I were leaving the house when we heard the noise of a low flying aircraft. Looking skyward w...
Views: 119   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 19, 2012 11:13pm
by Larry Southgate
inormation please, re photograph
Hi, Regarding "Information please" in the album section, can anyone tell me if the photograph - top left is Peter Tetlow, and perhaps who the other person is? If Peter Tetlow, is he still a member? Thanks
Views: 172   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 18, 2012 4:05pm
by Fred Greenwood
STOCK '84
You'll all probably know the subject of this posting. Got some bad news for you. Stock are closing the factory in Trieste down and transferring production to the Czech Republic. The workers are going to hold a 16 hour strike.???? But there is a bit of good news...
Views: 178   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 17, 2012 9:55pm
by Dave 796 RAF
xH*epgzG
My apologies to the person whose post I've deleted if it was wise, witty or wonderful in any way. I could not make head or tail of it. I did not recognise the ISP number. Please email me if I was wrong.
Views: 108   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 15, 2012 9:55pm
by Dave 796 RAF
BETFOR 2012 GRAND NATIONAL
The 5th running of our big race. April 14th at Aintree, Liverpool. The weights for 85 possible starters are in the papers today. Only 40 of these will come under starters orders on the day and this will be a regular post to encourage you to be an owner of a guarante...
Views: 296   Replies: 14
Last Post: Apr 15, 2012 5:01pm
by Roy Boyles
THE BALKANS.
Anyone recall the name Sarajevo? And Zagrabia? Keep your eyes on the papers. Nothing urgent at the moment but I have just read an article in 'Il Piccolo' which I've copied and will translate and hopefully post here tomorrow. It seems that temperatures and tem...
Views: 119   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 14, 2012 11:27pm
by Larry Southgate
Fishing.
If there are any fishermen amongst the group going to Trieste in June take along some very heavy line and big hooks. Report in Il Piccolo this week of a huge whale having been seen a short distance down the Istrian/Dalmation coast in the area known as the Quarnero...
Views: 82   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 13, 2012 10:38pm
by Harry Dixon
Search for a Sewing Star.
Message for Fred Hopper. An article in today's Daily Mail says the BBC is searching for the great British sewing enthusiast. There is apparently an advert somewhere by a company called Love Productions saying: "Are you serious about sewing? We're looking for am...
Views: 87   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 13, 2012 10:08pm
by Dave 796 RAF
THE GIRO 2012
The very thought of it will send berserk but is Reginald setting us up for this year's event.? His peleton picture on Strada Napoleonica seems to indicate it. Can't find peleton in either an English or Italian dictionary.Anyone else looked ?
Views: 161   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 13, 2012 9:35pm
by Larry Southgate
AND SPEAKING ABOUT LAKE GARDA !
As we have moved off the football and we now have an ex RAF man in our ranks. I Googled early Italian airmen and this came up. ITALY'S GREAT AIRMEN, part one. BRITISH PATHE. I reckon these guys would have gone ' as the crow flies' Would they have made it without l...
Views: 94   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 12, 2012 11:24pm
by Larry Southgate
Antartic Riddle
Hello Reggie, Perhaps you can answer a question for me, last week I was reading a newspaper article regarding Capt. Oates in which he was was named as Laurence. I was always under the impression that he was called Titus, at least until he left the tent. I was...
Views: 171   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 12, 2012 9:54pm
by Dave 796 RAF
Squirrels; Red Vs. Grey
For those of you who are interested in the war on-going in your back lawn I bring to your attention the column in the Washington Post by John Kelly. Check out the link below. Gene http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/2012/04/10/gIQAQaCF9S_story.html
Views: 97   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 12, 2012 12:18am
by Gene Odom, Sprin...
Invite for members of Betfor in october (50° from opening of Police Accademy in Trieste)
This is a change to comunicate that today I have spoken with my commandant in San Giovanni and he told me that is a good idea to invite the members of betfor in Trieste for a big ceremony for quincentenary from opening of Police Accademy in Trieste. The ceremony will...
Views: 217   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 8, 2012 2:32am
by Liliana Pajola
Wanton destruction of flora and fauna in the Val Rosandra.
I don't know how many people who may read this will have ever gone for a walk alongside the stream in the Val Rosandra on the outskirts of Trieste down by San Dorligo and Zauli. But for a couple of days now the inhabitants of this location have been exceptionally a...
Views: 146   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 8, 2012 2:25am
by Liliana Pajola
Happy Easter
Tanti auguri di Buona Pasqua a tutti. Best wishes for a Happy Easter to all
Views: 166   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 8, 2012 1:59am
by Liliana Pajola
"Boh" A Poem for Fred.
I was thinking of going to bed But I've just seen your post in this thread. The two options are often ignored. Myself? I just leave it on "Board", But it's been quite a marathon, Fred. I think seventeen hundred and eighty Is a number that's now far too weight...
Views: 103   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 7, 2012 9:18am
by Fred Greenwood
Wot yah doing Boh?.
Just having a Turkey Sandwich,with a pint of Old Speckled Hen,to wash it down.Will i finish this ruddy Bird?. Suggestions from the Boss ,Curry it,Make a Stew and Dumplings.If it was my decission,chuck it out for ,The Lions of Barton,(Next Doors Cats). Now the latest...
Views: 2233   Replies: 67
Last Post: Apr 7, 2012 1:59am
by Gene Odom
"Oh to be in England now that spring ?????
What a lovely surprise for the Easter hols' While you lot down south are sitting drinking your "abbot" we are enjoying snow, sleet, and rain with gale force winds. in other words, normal weather. We had a few days of warm sun suffering from sunstroke but it didnt l...
Views: 172   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 5, 2012 9:54pm
by Dave 796 RAF
A New Bridge over the Grand Canal
No sooner have we "done" the Grand Canal and its bridges that it's all change. The head of public works has announced that soon the contract for the contract will be signed and that work on the bridge will start within a month of the signing. The name of the sind...
Views: 119   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 3, 2012 9:48pm
by Larry Southgate
ManyThanks
Having had a great weekend with our Members at the Agm,and met many old and new friends,i am glad that in the dark days,my vision of how an Association can come together,have now,by what i have witnessed in Bury St Edmunds, been totaly fullfilled. Therefore i would...
Views: 304   Replies: 19
Last Post: Apr 3, 2012 7:27pm
by Harry Dixon
Cruising
It used to be in the old days of cruising that you took along a very large trunk to keep your clothes in. After the past few months it looks as though when you book a cruise, you should start packing your own engines and also an electric generator. That's one kind...
Views: 131   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 1, 2012 11:03pm
by Larry Southgate
OGGI ALLE 17 INAUGURAZIONE AL PUBBLICO DEL CAFFE' DEGLI SPECCHI
Il programma dell’inaugurazione è tutto un programma. Alle 17 la Banda Refolo partirà da piazza della Borsa a suon di marce austroungariche per arrivare in piazza unità con una marcia americana. «In onore di chi per otto anni occupò il...
Views: 252   Replies: 9
Last Post: Mar 30, 2012 8:40pm
by federica verin
Drought
From "Ilo Piccolo" today. Rainfall halved. Drought alarm bells ringing. In the past six months the rainfall has been at 60% of the normal average. In Trieste from January to March the rainfall has been at 75% less than the normal average. If this continues w...
Views: 87   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 11:22pm
by Larry Southgate
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50