Start a New Topic 
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Is this another recruit?
What follows is an excerpt from a short article that appeared in the Daily Mail letters section on Friday last. Obviously, it is copyright of that paper so I will not repeat the complete article. This appeared in the Peterborough column of the letters page. Qu...
Views: 92   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 26, 2017 9:51pm
by Larry Southgate
TRAIN TO TRiESTE by M. Portillo
Portillo started in Vienna and there was a lot about the Hapsburgs and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. There were archive photos of chaps in those silly hats with white feathers sprouting out of the tops. He then travelled on the railway to Graz. Tonight at 6.30 he g...
Views: 120   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 24, 2017 10:42pm
by Larry Southgate
Trieste 1946-7
Dear all I have just discovered this web site after I was looking through my father's Army service file with a view to following in some of his footsteps. He was stationed in Trieste from April 1946 until November 1947 with the Royal Signals. I am planning to pay...
Views: 209   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 11:26am
by Paul Everett
Another new member.
Out of the blue today I received a phone call from a gentleman called Denis Mulligan who lives in Urmston near Manchester. He tells me he is joining the Association and will most probably see us down in Cardiff. He is an ex-South Lancs bod who was stationed out a...
Views: 101   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 17, 2017 10:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Italian Music and Song Festival at San Remo.
Anybody interested in this celebration of most of the artistes in Italy at their annual celebration and award ceremonies in San Remo. Try this one in your URL> https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/liguria/imperia/festival-sanremo-ariston.html At th...
Views: 130   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 15, 2017 10:44pm
by Larry Southgate
"DADLAND A Journey into Uncharted Territory" by Keggie Carew
Watching the news the other day, i barely noticed an item about the nominations for the Costa Book Awards but one book-cover caught my attemtio,; it was that of Keggies Carrew's book about her father, Tom Carew who was CO of Trieste Security Office in the fifties....
Views: 184   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 14, 2017 11:48am
by Geoffrey Jarman ...
A trip around the world by web-cams.
Harry, thank you for the links to see the web-cam views of Piazza Unita and Piazza della Borsa I've killed a few minutes over the past week just before closing down my laptop by taking a gander at the folks strolling around in Piazza Grande and Piazza della Borsa....
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 12, 2017 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
SHADES OF THE AKC
have any of you discovered TALKING PICTURES on your tv? A treasure trove of films ( many British from the 30's to 60's ) Freeview 81 or Sky 343. just possibly 306 too. Its on 24 hours daily so the average day has about 15 features nearly all black and white !
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 10, 2017 6:15pm
by Roy Boyles
Fred finch
While my Dad did his National Service in Trieste he was in the medical corp. He got sick while he was there with a virus that caused head swelling . He did servive . I was wondering if anyone knows anything in relation to this.He returned From the army around 1950....
Views: 122   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 10, 2017 9:32am
by Pam Smith
Next Southampton Meeting
My next meeting has been arranged for Thursday 20th July at 11.30 at Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton. Phone 01794 514686 Our meeting yesterday (2nd Feb) was very enjoyable with 10 attending. A very nice lunch and chat, everyone looking forward to the ne...
Views: 96   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 6, 2017 9:39am
by Bill Atkins
Town Major's Office
My father, Ray Haxby, who will be 99 this year and doesn't use the Internet, worked at the Town Major's Office in Trieste towards the end of the war, and married a Triestina in 1946. They settled in Whitstable, where I was born, but our family has always maintained...
Views: 100   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 28, 2017 8:42am
by Julian Haxby
Reminder
Just to jog everyone's memory of my next meeting on Thursday 2nd Feb at Gusto, Commercial Road, Southampton. Hope to see you there.
Last Post: Jan 27, 2017 4:48pm
by John Barron
Want to save some money?
For anyone who intends to come to the annual reunion in Cardiff in March, and has not yet booked, there is an advert running on ITV programmes at the moment offering a 50% reduction when you book with Best Western Hotels. The hotel we have earmarked in Cardiff is a...
Views: 107   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 20, 2017 9:28pm
by Larry Southgate
Winter comes to Trieste (and Italy).
Bora sino a 145 orari a Trieste. Oltre 200 chiamate ai pompieri. Gru pericolante, chiusa via dell'Istria. Ursus sotto "controllo" Bora a 217 km sul ponte di Veglia. Neve a Lissa e Brazza Translation: Bora up to 145 km per hour in Trieste. (That's still not up t...
Views: 102   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 18, 2017 10:51pm
by Larry Southgate
Subscriptions
Things are a bit quiet on the web site at the moment so I thought I would make your day. To the members that have paid my most. Sincere thanks.To the members that have yet to pay please put your pen to the paper to day.Thanking you in anticipation. Regards Roland.
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 17, 2017 8:27am
by Roland
Finding info on my late father - Frank Brook
Hi, I looking for information on my late father, Frank Brook, who was stationed in Trieste during the troubles in early 1950`s. My mother & I were also there as my father was an officer in the Lancashire Fusiliers. I lived in a hotel in the centre of Trieste&...
Views: 123   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 15, 2017 12:46pm
by Richard Brook
LAST POST
George Cullen, who was Chief Clerk at Trieste Security Office in the fifties, has died. We are indebted to Mr Phillip Churm for passing on the sad news; this is his email: "Ladies and Gentlemen It is with sadness to let you know that WO2 (Retd) George Cullen pa...
Views: 204   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 8, 2017 7:30pm
by Geoff Fleet - Ho...
Request for assistance with family research, Iolanda Giorgini and Arthur Smith
Hello all, My name is Richard Barber and I am writing with a request for assistance in my family research. I am the grandson of one, Iolanda Giorgini, who was born (03/04/1930) and raised in Trieste, during which time she married her first husband, Arthur Smit...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 7, 2017 12:19am
by Richard Barber
A Time to Look Back......
....because it might be more worrying to look ahead!! I've just been reading Dave's post; it's always good to hear from someone who always has a positive, self-deprecatory attitude to life. Bad backs!!I could go on but I won't. Looking back...... I remember the...
Views: 133   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 6, 2017 10:41pm
by Larry Southgate
THE BETFOR EMAIL LIST AT CHRISTMAS 2016.
I will be sending out seasonal greetings shortly to see how much response I get from the membership. A single word response will be sufficient.
Views: 168   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 31, 2016 7:13pm
by Paula
No Room at the Inn.
If you're thinking of going to Trieste for New Year, you're too late; they're full up. From BB to 5 star they're stuffed, notwithstanding the extra cost. A suite at Porto Piccolo will sett you back 1.352 euros and a double in Piazza Unita 519. According to the articl...
Views: 149   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 30, 2016 4:34pm
by Harry Dixon
BETFOR Car stickers.
Do you remember the first type we used to have? The red one with just the Alabarda on it? Has anybody out there still got an unused one lying around? A friend of mine in Trieste would like to get hold of one. Any offers? In the spirit of Christmas?
Last Post: Dec 21, 2016 10:33pm
by Larry Southgate
Christmas Greetings
Thought I would take this opportunity before we get cut off in our prime to: WISH YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017. Cheers folks, Larry.
Views: 112   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 21, 2016 8:28pm
by Bernard Evans
Greetings & More Tales From Wales - Chap 12.
Good Morning All - I thought it was about time I started a new chapter in this epic and October seems to be an appropriate month to do so. The weather seems to agree with me too as we have a bright, sunny and cold Sunday morning up here, the temperature outside i...
Views: 310   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 19, 2016 10:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Bravenet Support Test
Bravenet Support Test
Views: 152   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 19, 2016 2:28pm
by Harry Dixon
It's happened again !
Yet again a huge cruise ship, a Viking Ocean Cruise ship, has been unable to enter Venice because of poor visibility and has been diverted to Trieste. You can imagine the confusion amongst the punters. "It's Monday; should be Venice Italy. Where's this? Never heard o...
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2016 7:29pm
by Harry Dixon
A Trieste caos in Stazione marittima per l'arrivo imprevisto di "Costa Deliziosa"
In Trieste there is chaos at the Maritime Station at the unexpected arrival of the "Costa Deliziosa". This chap was saying, "Honest; it was that big" and didn't even see it coming through the mist. Apparently, The "Deliziosa" had tried to enter Venice but found it...
Views: 119   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2016 3:53pm
by Harry Dixon
Date of Next Meeting
My next meeting will be on Thursday 2nd February at 11.30 Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton
Views: 99   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 12:41pm
by John Barron
Association Ties
Hi, Can anyone advise if there are still any Association Ties and Lapel Badges available??
Views: 167   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 12:11pm
by Michael Hood #78...
Earthquake in New Zealand.
There has been a tremendous earthquake in New Zealand. 7.9 on the Richter Scale. The centre of Wellington has had to be evacuated.
Views: 86   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 13, 2016 10:53pm
by Larry Southgate
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12