Start a New Topic 
70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
TRIESTE VISIT 2010
Just above the picture of the BORA on page 12 in Journal 27 which has now been circulating for 2 weekw I asked the question JUNE or SEPTEMBER ? The answer is SEPTEMBER, 15th to 22nd when Vice Chairman John Darby and Treasurer Terry Crimp will be in attendance toge...
Views: 140   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 8, 2009 8:54am
by Roy Boyles 300
re todays anniversay
Yes Big Fred I remember the riots, I was a Sgt. at the ammo depot when the guard was doubled to 24 men. I cant remember which regt. was on duty on a paticular day when my dog "Laddy" cought a hare half way up the bank between the towers. The guard had with a cook f...
Views: 139   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 7, 2009 3:34pm
by fred 212
British Legion Magazine
Those of you who receive the Royal British Legion Magazine (Winter Edition) will notice that our reunion at York is again mentioned under the Army Reunions. I was fortunate enough to convince the editor that the note of it in the Autumn Edition was a bit early for a...
Views: 151   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 5, 2009 10:10pm
by Roy Boyles 300
DVD of Trieste Under Occupational Forces
I am member 727 son of Sgt Bill Wallace RASC/Int. Corps. I purchased a DVD when in Grado couple of years ago, it is calle 'Trieste Sotto' and is the story of Trieste under various ocupational forces from 1943-1954. It is in Italian. If any member is interested and...
Views: 201   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 5, 2009 6:29pm
by Harry Dixon
LARRY'S MARATHON SESSION
I read this with my Sunday breakfast ! If he followed his reply to Diddle Diddle Dumpling which moved us into November after 5 responses beginning around 10.30 Saturday evening, I am wondering if he managed it up the stairs !As our TS Guru it is always worth listenin...
Views: 200   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 4, 2009 10:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Visiting Trieste Larry's mini-guide
Larry Southgate has kindly put together a very valuable guide to help anyone planning a visit to Trieste. I have put it on its own page "Visiting TRIESTE" on the website. Just follow the links. Thank you very much, Larry.
Views: 137   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 4, 2009 10:23pm
by Larry Southgate
From BackJournal No5. The Forgotten Army.
This is a piece from the N0 5 Journal,that i liked whilst trolling through the Archives,it is by Derek Read.A former Royal Signals DR. THE FORGOTTEN ARMY. The boys down here are some of the best, For we are the boys-yes-the boys of Trieste. W...
Views: 133   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 4, 2009 8:01pm
by Fred Greenwood
Ronald Wallace
I have been asked by the family of Ronald Wallace to ask the members of our association if anyone knew him during his time in the army. From the information I have been given Ronald served with both Kings Own and Loyals Regiments between 1952 and 1955. Unfortunatel...
Views: 137   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 4, 2009 4:25pm
by Colin Russell (0...
re journal
mine arrived OK, another good job by our editor. Fred 212
Views: 182   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 3, 2009 9:57am
by Colin Russell (0...
San Giovanni Barracks
Can anyone give me information on whether there is still any evidence that these barracks existed or has the site been made ino a mass of apartments? I am considering a possible trip to Trieste next year but would like to show my wife where I spent my last year in t...
Views: 346   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 1, 2009 12:19pm
by Vince Stuchbury
Diddle diddle dumpling........
Don't ask me why I was reading an article about nursery rhymes; there was probably cookery again on the telly and the crossword was too hard - again. Anyhow I was - and the wench was lamenting the fact that, these days kids were more likely to be chanting a song...
Views: 182   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 1, 2009 11:27am
by Harry Dixon
Match of The Day
The Sheep travel to meet The Tractors at Portman Road,this afternoon.Ipswich v Derby. Roy, has opened his long melford to wager that the Tractors will win thier first game,by 3 Goals to 2,odds of 25-1. I have a wager on John Walters to score first at 6-1,and Tracto...
Views: 108   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 1, 2009 10:13am
by Roy Boyles 300
FIELD OF REMEMBRANCE 5 November
Yes it is also the anniversary of Guy Fawkes activities just across the road in 1605. This could be the opportunity for quite a lot of members to make an appearance at their various regiments or corps plots before adjourning to the WESTMINSTER ARMS just across the r...
Views: 137   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 31, 2009 11:47pm
by Larry Southgate
AMBRIDGE
With the death of 'me old pal, me old beauty' Norman Paiting yesterday, are there a few Archer memories among you ? It is almost 60 years old, premiered during BETFOR days (1950). Let's hear from you or some of those ladies. The location is Woooster not Suffick. Does...
Views: 131   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 31, 2009 11:29pm
by Larry Southgate
Journal
Not had mine yet, probably the Stage Coach has been held up on its route to North Wales.
Views: 130   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 30, 2009 5:32pm
by Fred Greenwood 3...
Bucs and Patriots
Hey guys, This game in London caught me completely by surprise. My team the Washington Redskins is the worse team in the league (In the past they have been one of the best if not the best) and they do not play until tomorrow night so I have been taking the day off...
Views: 172   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 29, 2009 9:07am
by Roy Boyles 300
"The East Begins Here"
I remember being shown the ropes by one of the old hands when I first joined Ops Section in TSO; that's one of the things he said on our tour of bars, cafes and remote villages. He meant that things were seldom what they seemed; there were paradoxes and inconsistence...
Views: 181   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 25, 2009 4:01pm
by Harry Dixon
REMEMBER THE TIME TONIGHT
Total silence for 3 whole days so this is PUBLIC SERVICE. The clocks go BACK just after Ipswich win at Plymouth. (It could happen, Fred !)
Views: 141   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 24, 2009 8:04pm
by Fred Greenwood 3...
Cambridge get together.
Audrey and I returned home last night (Monday) after a very pleasant week at Camdridge. We attended the meeting at the Arundel Hotel on the Tuesday and enjoyed meeting old friends again although I think our attendance was a surprise to one or two members. I was pl...
Views: 166   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 21, 2009 4:38pm
by Ray Griffiths
IT IS STILL THERE ! S C H M E L Z
Yes I saw it last Wednesday 14 October. 4 to 5 inches of SNOW. Did you infantry guys ever have that?. Schmelz is a basic training camp for the Austrian soldiery, as I believe some of you are aware. In case you have forgotten it is 15kms from JUDENBURG and there is...
Views: 229   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 20, 2009 4:06pm
by Fred Greenwood 3...
Local Derby
A local derby with some history behind it takes place tomorrow after a break of 43 years. It is so long since Blackburn and Burnley last met in the Premier League - First Division in those days. They are both founder members of the Football League and there is some...
Views: 177   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 19, 2009 6:12pm
by Harry Dixon
English language
Well done Gene, And here I am thinking the Americans did not realy understand us. Perhaps you could give us a few tips on your modern jargin used today, in films for instance. Cheers Fred Hopper 212
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 19, 2009 3:08pm
by Fred.Hopper 212
"Grappa"?
At a party recently I was asked to try a drink and to say what it was. It was perfectly clear and colourless and was clearly a spirit. I don't have much of a palate but - turn down a buchshee drink? The taste was very smooth and, if I'd been a smirking sort of blo...
Views: 192   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 19, 2009 12:27pm
by Roy Boyles
English Language
FOR ALL WHO READ AND RIGHT We will begin with a box and the plural is boxes, but the plural of ox became oxen not oxes. One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese, yet the plural of moose should never be meese. You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mic...
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 19, 2009 3:02am
by Gene Odom
R.B.L. Poppy Appeal Launch.
Good turnout at the Isle of Wight poppy appeal parade. 20 Standard Bearers with thier standards on parade. 5 R.E.M.E. Vet soldiers on the march past,myself representlng BETFOR as the only soldier who serverd thier during that period known to live on the Isle of Wig...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 18, 2009 12:04pm
by Gordon Bishop
MENTION OF TRIESTE
How do we keep a regular mention of TS on this site ? It is after all the reason we are all members of BETFOR, and remembrance of our time there in and around the city between 45 and 54. Plus of course the visits made since then. Does Serie B mean anything to you...
Views: 205   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 17, 2009 10:18pm
by Larry Southgate
Mighty 8th Air Force, WW2
I have forwarded to Harry Dixon an essay written by a former member of the 8th Air Force based on his experiences during WW2 when American bombers were flying daily daytime missions from England bombing Germany while the RAF was flying nightly missions also bombing G...
Views: 118   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 16, 2009 9:43pm
by Harry Dixon
Suffolks apologies
My apologies to those Suffolks who seem to have been posted AWOL on the Roll Call. The problem seems to be that the page will contain only a certain number of characters and since we have recruited, through Colin's efforts, a sizeable number of new members some of...
Views: 155   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 15, 2009 3:18pm
by Harry Dixon
Grappa
Hi Harry, I used to make a lot of country wines many years ago, " thats how I lost my hair", you name it and I have most likly made but I never tried to distil anything. However I have made potato wine which can be very potent, it mixed well with a drop of gin as lo...
Views: 113   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 13, 2009 4:08pm
by Fred Greenwood 3...
Aint Yer Got. Chapter 2 ?
Yes Fred, you deserve lots of ABBOT. I have only begun this because it took 5 minutes to wind down to the latest additions. We have a new correspondent too and I am confident there will be a reply for him soon. Was Harry starting us on a new thread with Mr Brown ?...
Views: 468   Replies: 20
Last Post: Oct 10, 2009 9:14pm
by Fred Greenwood 3...
70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
Free Forum powered by Bravenet