Start a New Topic 
71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
EMAILER MESSAGE DATED 3rd OCTOBER
The first 24 hours produced 19 replies and 2 failures to connect. Some very pleasant messages amongst them. A few worrying about paying subs ! Don't fret chaps, you will be made aware next March after York. Regarding York, just let me know if you are likely to atten...
Views: 170   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 10, 2009 8:55pm
by Gordon Bishop
G U I D O L I V E S !
I have just received from one of our members a copy of issue 234, dated April this year of FORMATION SIGN, the Journal of the MILITARY HERALDRY SOCIETY. On the reverse side is a message to him asking if he has joined the 'new Association' If you look at Amazon.com (...
Views: 317   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 8, 2009 10:44pm
by Larry Southgate
BEER
Fred, stick your fingers in your ears while you read this because I'm not going to be talking about Abbot. It speaks for itself anyway. I have a rough and ready rule when faced with five or six beer pumps and I don't know any of them; it's to avoid the over-quirky...
Views: 159   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 8, 2009 10:33pm
by Larry Southgate
Milrtary Funeral - Loyals (1952)
Any information of the funeral of a buddy by the name of Samuels, a bren gun carrier driver, killed when hsi tracked vehicle overturned on the excapement in Trieste circa 1952, would be appreciated. Seeing the current repatriations, brings it home every day, what hap...
Views: 269   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 6, 2009 12:01pm
by H.Marle
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Remember buying me when you were young Dad's ? Well I am around again so it will be easy as a present offering to your younger grandsons.
Views: 124   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 2, 2009 9:47am
by Action Man
Match Of The Day
Tune into BBC 2 tonight,17-30 kickoff, for the Match of the Day,between the Two Freds Football(Soccer for Gene)Teams.It should be a full house at Portman Road for the Match remembering Sir Bobby Robson,and the unvieling of The Sir Bobby Robson Stand,renamed in his me...
Views: 165   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 29, 2009 2:40am
by Gene Odom
MEN'S FASHION
Do you ever get that feeling that the world is passing you by? I was listening to Radio 4 and there's usually sensible discussions about stuff in the news but yesterday there was a guy with an affected voice talking about "man tights". He meant long johns like tho...
Views: 235   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 28, 2009 10:31pm
by Larry Southgate
Match of the day
Hi Fred, Now you should know better than to bet against the Magpies, apart from the score it was a good tribute to Sir Bobby to name a stand after him. There is talk of doing the same at St.James;s Park but at the moment it is just talk. By the way a word for Gene,...
Views: 148   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 28, 2009 10:16pm
by Larry Southgate
re aint yer read chapter 2 ?
Farmer Fred mentioned the additive that was put in our tea, I remember it well, infact I think it is starting to take effect ;;;;; Fred 212
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2009 6:08am
by Fred.Hopper 212
Books about Trieste (in English)
When we met at the Arboretum on Wednesday, I borrowed from Royski a book. It's fabulous. Title: THE RACE FOR TRIESTE by Geoffrey Cox. The story of the New Zealand Division racing up through Padua, Mestre and Venice to try and capture Trieste before Tito. Great...
Views: 153   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 25, 2009 7:08pm
by Derek Lance
Regional Meeting
Hello Everyone, Marlene and I have just returned from our excellent regional meeting at the Arboretum, we had a very good turnout with at least two new members attending for the first time. It was so nice to meet up again with our old friends and their younger si...
Views: 164   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 24, 2009 10:45pm
by Larry Southgate
Cagney and Hope
Thanks to our man in Oz we have a wonderful clip of these 2 show-biz legends. He comments, "If you remember these you are really old" (fits BETFOR perfectly !) I am sending it to Bernard Evans. Anyone else ? Just email me with the word HOLLYWOOD
Views: 147   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 24, 2009 9:29pm
by bernard Evans 58...
My Chariots are IN TOWN TONIGHT
Just thought I would give a plug for my all action show at the DOME. (As an O2 mobile client I thought there might be attractively priced tickets !) Do you remember Charlton Heston and Jack Hawkins in the film ?
Views: 156   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 24, 2009 9:03am
by Ben Hur
ANOTHER PUZZLE FROM REGINALD - IS THIS A GOOD BET?
A lottery offers a prize of £1,000,000 to anyone getting the first ten letters of the alphabet in the "right" order after a draw. You can have as many goes as you like at £1 a go. Alec sees an opportunity and decides to permutate the lot of them. Can't l...
Views: 187   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 24, 2009 2:50am
by Gene Odom
They were there before us.
Terry Crimp, our Hon Treasurer has sent in a remarkable photo of a squad of Germans on bicycles on the Via Napoleonica. They seem to be approaching the Obelisk. It was taken in 1940. It's in the TRIESTE photo album.
Views: 155   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 23, 2009 9:53pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
The Royal and Antedeluvian Order of Buffaloes - Trieste
Anybody out there who was a member of our Lodge in Trieste? I've still got my medal. I believe my design for the medal came second and 'twas not much different from the design chosen. I've got a photo somewhere on this computer I could look up and post if folks...
Views: 156   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 22, 2009 2:02pm
by Ray Griffiths
R.A.O.B. Trieste
Hello Larry, I was not a member of the R.A.O.B. myself but I had a good friend who was. He was a Sgt in Ordnance called Dave Kirsop and he came from Birtley in Co. Durham. When my wife first arrived in Trieste Dave and his wife May accompanied me to the station to m...
Views: 137   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 22, 2009 10:18am
by Fred Hopper 212
MICHAELMAS DAY almost here
If you check it on GOOGLE there are a variety of explanations and connections, THE RENT IS DUE. HIRING NEW HELP and officially the beginning of the winter half of the year, Also the FAIR SEASON as the nights draw in. Our big one here in NOTTINGHAM is Goose Fair, Th...
Views: 125   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 21, 2009 7:17am
by Roy Boyles
COLD WAR MEDAL
We are getting requests regarding the availability of this award. All of us in BETFOR qualify. If you contact AWARD PUBLICATIONS LTD PO BOX 300 SHREWSBURY SY5 6WP. Tel 01952 510053 they will send a brochure with all the details
Views: 266   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 19, 2009 7:41pm
by bernard Evans 58...
DVD's Related to TRIESTE
There are a couple of DVD's that have just been published pertaining to our years in Trieste. These are movie films from the files of Martin Rotker of TRUST who served in Trieste during the days the American and British Forces were there. The running time of each...
Views: 135   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 19, 2009 3:40pm
by Harry Dixon
AIN,T YER GOT ANYTHING TAH SAH BOH
Thah be over a hunded of yer on tah net,hev yerall gon ter sleep,ijus wook up wundering where i wuz. Morning All ,luvly day in Suffick.
Views: 388   Replies: 22
Last Post: Sep 17, 2009 10:03pm
by Fred Greenwood
US SESSUOLO v TRIESTINA CALCIO 15 Sept.
Busy week in Serie B with TS in 5th place down amongst the Ferrari's tomorrow. SESSUOLO is 6 k SOUTH of Modena and very close to the plant of the v. famous cars. Anyone own one or know someone who does ? What about the scrapping allowance ! Are you trading in that K...
Views: 138   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 16, 2009 6:55am
by Roy Boyles 300
UNDER THE GREENWOOD TREE
Fred, you have had almost as many listeners in the past 3 days as that Irish bloke who is turning it in shortly.Maybe it was the usual suspects who were replying but no matter. It was noted that Larry did not join in over the weekend but we might hear his thoughts a...
Views: 178   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 14, 2009 9:23pm
by P. E Dant
TRIESTINA v SALERNITANA CALCIO
This Saturday another home match against bottom club Salerno. 12th September 1943 was the day Allied forces landed there, (Operation Avalanche) TS are warm favourites to win this one, perhaps 2-0
Views: 131   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 13, 2009 9:14pm
by Roy Boyles 300
Doctors
TWO DIFFERENT DOCTORS' OFFICES Two patients limp into two different medical clinics with the same complaint.? Both have trouble walking and appear to require a hip replacement. The FIRST patient is examined within the hour, is x-rayed the same day and has a tim...
Views: 159   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 10, 2009 8:24am
by John Australia
A puzzle from Reginald
I talk to Reginald from time to time and he said, "Don't you think it's time to tidy up the head of the message board. Surely we don't still need a Welcome to the Message Board when we're into it's second year and the instructions for putting photos on the website co...
Views: 158   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 9, 2009 2:40pm
by Harry Dixon
Ref new member Coles
I note that the this new member was with 12TH Anti Tank Ra 50/51, same time as myself at Rosseti, I dont recognise the name, which Battery? I would be grateful if my name could be transferred to Roll Call under the Royal Artillery list.
Views: 144   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 8, 2009 5:05pm
by Harry Dixon
CAMBRIDGE MEETING Tuesday 6th October
First time in Cambridge. Details are in Journal 26. There will be a strong Committee presence. They all got 4 A's and are just beginning to savour higher education. There was not too much opportunity 50-60 years ago ! Hope to see some of you there.
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 7, 2009 8:27pm
by Roy Boyles 300
70 years ago when we were young.
Like Gene I was ten years of age and remember that Sunday very well, all the older boys were running the steets with late editions of the local paper. I had five brothers then,and two older sisters so it was obvious that the older brothers and one of my sisters at l...
Views: 209   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 5, 2009 7:38pm
by Gene Odom
Edinburgh Military Tatoo.
I have just spent the last hour watching this years military tatoo on my laptop and recomend itto anyone who has not yet seen it. The music is great and the bands from various countries are very entertaining. Gene may be interested in a band of drummers from US cal...
Views: 141   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 4, 2009 8:42pm
by Fred Hopper 212
71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80
Free Forum powered by Bravenet