BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Last Post
The advance party in the shape of Nives Young is already in town and talking to the boss at THE 10 QUEENS restaurant where (hopefully) the whole group will be eating on Sunday 14th. A coach is booked for the Lazzaretto visit on 16th. All we have to do is get past Rya...
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 4, 2009 6:55am
by Roy Boyles
Most of you will be aware that the majority of the secretarial duties are performed by Maureen and she has suggested, nay demanded that I do something about recognising the fact that her 'boys' are here to retain the ASHES later this Summer. Yes it is C R I C K E T....
Views: 131   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 4, 2009 6:43am
by Roy Boyles
Have you been watching "Britain's Got Talent"? It's supposed to be a search for talent suitable for the Royal Variety Performance. One problem has been with the audience, specially recruited from bubbleheads, - the only requirement the ability to scream loudly. No...
Views: 121   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 3, 2009 7:14pm
Fathers Day
Fathers' Day is in June. Mothers' is in March How many months???????
Views: 128   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2009 3:03pm
by Peter Sexton
Doom & Gloom
At the moment when the weather is so lovely and everyone is posting happy items, i feel that I must bring to your attention the bad news concerning Korea.I knew a number of squaddies that were killed there including my 18 year old brother-in-law. My brother was wound...
Views: 128   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 3, 2009 2:59pm
by Peter Sexton
Views: 133   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 3, 2009 10:19am
by Fred 212
Try this one
I am still alive and 84 on 3rd June. Not a BETFOR member but was associated with the lady who would have been 83 on the 2nd. I was VERY BLACK (but not now)
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2009 7:35pm
by D.W. Griffith
Come fourth
Yea the Lord said unto Moses and all the members of the BETFOR Association come forth but they came fifth and lost the ability to post on their Message Board. Are there any other reasons.
Views: 104   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 2, 2009 4:06pm
by Harry Dixon
You remember: Spring is sprung; de grass is ris I wonder where de boidies is De boid is on the wing but that's absoid Because de wing is on de boid. Apparently the cuckoo is now endangered and certainly we have not heard a single one this year. I've heard no...
Views: 163   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 30, 2009 1:19pm
by Harry Dixon
Billsson - Andrews
On the part of the Trieste web-site which bears our web-name in Italian ( this last weekend there has been a posting from someone who used the name 'Billsson' asking for any information anyone might have about his father, who apparently, was st...
Views: 109   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 29, 2009 9:29pm
by Larry Southgate
As a public service and as Order,Order is now taking 2 minutes to reach the latest comments here is an offer completely free of charge if you are interested. I have received a complete run down from one of my sources listing all the current MP's total expenses.(You...
Views: 152   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 29, 2009 9:22pm
by Larry Southgate
re speak now Fred
Sorry I have been silent for a while Roy as I have been away from home to attend a family wedding, I have also been laid up with my medical problems for more than a week. As for Big Al, I supose it was on the cards that they would go down but who knows ? they may p...
Views: 126   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 29, 2009 7:49pm
Regional Meeting National Memorial Arboretum
A very good turnout at the National Memorial Arboretum on Wednesday - 12 men and 9 ladies, including Tom Reaney and his wife, who travelled down from Morecambe.
Views: 99   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 29, 2009 7:46pm
by Ray Griffiths 15...
Two forecasts out of three so far. The first two were Man U for the Premiership and Barca for the Champions Cup. My third is on Saturday. The Toffees for the Cup. The Pensioners have dropped off a bit lately with their 1-0 wins
Views: 108   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 28, 2009 10:26am
by Peter Sexton
Now that the pound is beginning to recover against the EURO, the enquiries are increasing. The hotel rates are as follows. ITALIA the hotel we have used since 2004 is 110 EUROS nightly , double or twin, , or 75 euro's for a single both with buffet breakfast. T...
Views: 410   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 27, 2009 9:29pm
by Larry Southgate
It has happened before, but more than 300 years ago. Could it be your MP who will take the chair next month ? Are we allowd to comment on these sort of happenings Mr Webmaster. Your judgement is eagerly awaited
Views: 257   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 27, 2009 9:19pm
by bernard Evans 58...
How is your garden ?
I think Harry and I were both getting worried, 2 days and not a peep out of anyone about anything at all. This week it is Chelsea, the show not the team. Anyone got any tips to pass on or gardening gossip ? Remember Mr Middleton on the wireless ? Is Charley Dimmock...
Views: 199   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 27, 2009 9:03am
by Colin Russell (0...
A Little Humour
A Commanding Officer in the Army was about to start the morning briefing to his staff, battalion and company commanders. While waiting for the coffee machine to finish its brewing, the Colonel decided to pose a question to all assembled. He explained that his wi...
Views: 137   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 25, 2009 11:46pm
by John Australia
A Real Life Wilson of the Wizard
Sir Ranulph Twistletonn-Wykeham-Fiennes, Eton, Royal Scots Greys and SAS, third baronet has to be a fictional figure. Exploring the White Nile, reaching the North Pole on foot and the South Pole on foot, pulling a sled and without support, crossing the Arctic and th...
Views: 139   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 25, 2009 2:13pm
by Peter Sexton
The Bishops
I am not a member of any particular political party as it it is fairly obvious that a lot of them have their noses in the trough, but I will listen to what they have to say and defend their right to say it. This democracy. So it is up to each and every individual to...
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 25, 2009 10:53am
by Peter Sexton
Motor Racing
Yesterday I discovered the best way to watch Formulla One Races. I did not watch it live, I recorded it and later watched it with the recording being played in fast forward. It was tremendous, this will be my future method of warching Formula One.
Views: 104   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 25, 2009 10:43am
by Peter Sexton
Big Al.
Latest news is that Alan Shearer is now manager of the Magpies till the end of the season. In all honesty he cant be expected to do magic at this state of the game, he may lift their spirits up a little but he is not a trained manager, all we can do is wish him we...
Views: 331   Replies: 15
Last Post: May 24, 2009 8:24pm
by Teeside Tim
Speak now Fred.
Big Al has not been mentioned for 2 weeks and the moment of truth is tomorrow Sunday. Can they escape ? If not they will be appearing v the Rams sometime later this year. I think Colin's Villians might be too strong for them but they could get a little refereeing...
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 23, 2009 7:44pm
by Roy Boyles
We have today had the first West Country regional reunion. A good time was had by all. We had 6 members attending, with 3 wives. Not as many as some areas, but a resonable start. The venue of the Gallery Bar at the Copthorne in Plymouth was very comfortable for a Bar...
Views: 152   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 19, 2009 9:02pm
"Staywarm" began as a scheme to provide energy to people over 60 at an affordable price. It was almost too good to be true. You paid a flat - and very reasonable rate - based on the size of your house and you could use as much gas and/or electricity as you wished....
Views: 103   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 18, 2009 7:34pm
by Harry Dixon
You for coffee?
I often think it would be good to have a real espresso coffee at home but I've been put off by the prices of machines in the hundreds of pounds. However, there are now some at prices round £60 pounds and I notice that Which? recommends as a Best Buy the De Longh...
Views: 114   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 16, 2009 10:30am
by Peter Sexton
Please note the list is now closed. 7 people have booked this week on the Birmingham Bargain flight on Sunday 14th, coming back on Wednesday 17th. Assuming they all make it to their various airports and flights there will be 37 in TS on Sunday 14th plus Nives and si...
Views: 137   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 15, 2009 6:17pm
by Roy Boyles
TRIESTE Ryanair Flyers ( which is most people)
Following Peter's response earlier, I will be WRITING around the beginning of June to all those using the airline. Hopefully this will avoid any complications when beginning the journey from either BIRMINGHAM LIVERPOOL or STANSTED. Many of the group are not on the...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 14, 2009 12:01pm
by Roy Boyles
A group calling itself The Songbird Survival Trust has called for a cull of magpies, claiming that they are to blame for the reduction in the number of songbirds. I have a suspicion about self appointed vigilante groups; I doubt if their claims would stand up to seri...
Views: 157   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 14, 2009 10:00am
by Peter Sexton
My post the other day produced a flurry of activity with Vince Stuchbury and wife Margaret making a booking. At this moment there are 4 other members,potentially 9 people altogether still mulling it over. This morning Thursday 14 May the offer is still there BUT the...
Views: 115   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 14, 2009 9:55am
by Peter Sexton
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77