BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Rushbrooke Gathering Today
An excellent turnout today in Suffolk,17 Members,including Associate Members enjoyed the best Gathering we have had so far.Peter Saunders and his Wife had a prior engagement,and sent their appologies. We welcomed George Harper and his Wife,and John Kane,who says his...
Views: 157   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 9, 2009 2:12pm
by Fred Greenwood 3...
gallant Gurkhas.
I see the government has offered the Gurkha vets another watered down deal. They dont mind letting folk from most parts of the World walk over our borders and be given support but make it hard for men who have supported this country in wars for over 200 years to set...
Views: 295   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 7, 2009 12:31pm
by Harry Dixon
Re gallant Gurkhas
It looks like Joanne may have some results as long as the feet dont drag too long, keep at em Joanne.
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2009 12:26pm
by Fred Hopper 212
Its quite simple realy.
Sorry John I didnt quite get that, can you repeat it all again. errrrrrrr ?
Views: 123   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2009 12:21pm
by Fred Hopper 212
Photos from Life Magazine
One of our visitors on the oldsoho.com site downloaded this link for us to enjoy. I do not know your rules, but you might consider posting it on this site. There are some great photos and they can be enlarged if so desired. Gene http://www.life.com/search/?type...
Views: 156   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 6, 2009 12:21pm
by Harry Dixon
It's Really Quite Simple
IT IS REALLY QUITE SIMPLE Dumb civilian, I said to myself, but openly I said, “The system is really quite simple.” You see, all people in the Army are soldiers, all privates are soldiers, but not all soldiers are privates. Some are officers who are c...
Views: 123   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2009 7:05am
by John Australia
Birdsong
A magical time of the year; there's something fresh in the garden everyday. During the Winter we write down, in a special book in the drawer near the back door, the ideas and jobs we think of to do in Spring. We seldom do of course. It's too good just sit sit on th...
Views: 259   Replies: 20
Last Post: May 4, 2009 4:12pm
by Ray Griffiths 1...
Royal Romp
Boy, You Brits sure know how to put on a show! The news of the romp became a top story here in the States shoving the economy, Iraq, etc. aside. It was probably brought about by the warmer weather and a few drinks. Gene
Views: 115   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 3, 2009 7:37am
by Louisville Luke
KENTUCKY DERBY FORECAST
Alliteration again, Gene. It's either CHOCOLATE CANDY or ROYAL RANSOM. Both at better odds than Big Als team v LIVERPOOL tomorrow. (currently 10/1 !)
Views: 121   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 2, 2009 6:08pm
by Gene Odom
Swine-flu pandemic
I have sent an e-mail to those members who are on my mailing list about this probable pandemic. Anyone reading this who is thinking of going to Trieste in June must start thinking. I have been in touch with friends in Italy who tell me that as of tonight there ar...
Views: 183   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 2, 2009 5:15pm
by Roy Boyles
Fingers are working
What a start to the first day of Summer. All the arthritic fingers have defrosted and the message board has gone mad. I sincerely hope that this amount of traffic will last.
Views: 109   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2009 11:11am
by Peter Sexton
I had a dream.
I HAD A DREAM. No, not the title of an old song brought up to date, but a dream I had back a few months ago which will simply not leave my memory. ‘Twas almost a nightmare. Apparently I had gone on holiday with my son Paul, to Trieste in north-eastern Ita...
Views: 103   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 2, 2009 11:04am
by Peter Sexton
Goodbye to my England
I saw this and thought others might like to read it. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Goodbye to my England, So long my old friend, Your days they are numbered, been brought to an end. To be Scottish or Irish, or Welsh is just fine,...
Views: 127   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 2, 2009 10:59am
by Peter Sexton
Ron Goosey 504
It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that Ron Goosey(REME) passed away just a few days ago, our thoughts go out to Christine and his loving family. His funeral will take place on Friday 8th May at 1.45 at St.Nicholas Church, Main Street, Fleckney Le...
Views: 118   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 1, 2009 5:26pm
by Ray Griffiths 1...
The Trolley Song
Just for you Gene. With his light brown derby and his bright green tie, he was quite the handsomest of men etc etc.(you all remember it) Kentucky Derby, 2000 Guineas, 1000 Guineas at Newmarket and a mention of Lord Darby by Harry. Let's hope the sun shines th...
Views: 99   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 1, 2009 4:01pm
by Andy Hardy
May Day
I just thought it should be mentioned whatever it might mean to you. The May Day holiday should be on 1st, the international distress call sign, dancing round the Maypole, the May Queen and that Summer really begins on the first of May. Will it be official pandemic...
Views: 109   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 30, 2009 7:07pm
by Harry Dixon
Monday Night at Eight
"It's Monday night at eight o'clock. Oh can't you hear the chimes? They're telling you to take an easy chair, And settle by your fire side; Look at your Radio Times For "Monday Night at Eight" is on the air. One of the highlights of the listening week. There was Ol...
Views: 241   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 29, 2009 10:23pm
by Larry Southgate
Happy birthday, Gene.
We hope you have a very good day - and many more to come.
Views: 167   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 29, 2009 9:13pm
by Gene Odom
Alsager Meeting
The Regional Meeting last Friday at Alsager was, thanks to Alex and Phyllis McNee, excellent. The choice of venue and food was good and the company even better. Arrangements were made for Sir Nicholas and Lady Ann Winterton to attend, we all enjoyed their relaxed an...
Views: 133   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 28, 2009 1:51pm
by Ray Griffiths 1...
THE TRACTOR BOYS
Fred. What are you doing allowing this Irishman to drive a tractor over the hallowed turf of Portman Road? Or is he really a cart horse? Suffolk Punch, of course! Don't try to understand, Gene!!
Views: 158   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 26, 2009 11:47am
by FRED GREENWOOD
Gurkhas
The Gurkhas were not the only soldiers treated badly. the Philippino soldiers have just been granted a one-time cash benefit for their service to the US Army in WWII. Here is a link below to the LA Times regarding President Obama signing the benefit into law. Perha...
Views: 158   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 25, 2009 12:31pm
by Gene Odom
re the tracter boys
Fred, be careful you dont upset the Irishman or he may trow his toys out of the pram and leave, again. Fred 212
Views: 152   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 25, 2009 11:18am
by Fred Hopper 212
Memories
I don't know how it happened but last week I presseds a button on the remote and caught the end of a film with I think Errol Flynn showing wartime activity in Burma. I nearly laughed my socks off.As it Burma it brought back the memory of that tha great soldier Brigad...
Views: 149   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 24, 2009 11:55am
by Peter Sexton
Unit Nicknames (TS)
At today's LEEDS meeting, 141 Jim McKinny mentioned a unit who were in TS '46 I think. They were the HAMMERSMITH HIGHLANDERS. Anyone know anything about them ? Any others you can think of will be entertaining.
Views: 242   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 23, 2009 10:23pm
by Roy Boyles
Football lovers
I don't care who you may sopport but if you watched the match last night (Liv and Arsenal) the I think that it will possibly spoil the watching of games in the future. That is how the game should be played . Very few fouls and no diving. It was about the best game th...
Views: 113   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 22, 2009 4:56pm
by Roy Boyles
Photos: King George vi parade
There are two very interesting photos in the public uploads folder but they would appear sideways if I put them in the album as they are. There are no details. Will the member posting them please email them to me as an attachment and add the relevant details? Thanks...
Views: 168   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 21, 2009 8:31pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
The cup
Hi Fred, I cant see Big Al being in charge next season as he stated he was only taking the job till the end of this season as a standin for the manager who is ill. Things dont look too good for the Magpies but they have went down before and forght back up again. As...
Views: 122   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 21, 2009 7:08pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
FEATHERED FRIENDS
You may remember me as Vic. This thread is really a device to move on from BIRDSONG which is proving to be 'a good read'but getting too long How many of you would do as Gene did.? Admittedly he was acting under threat from 'er indoors'(or so he says) Right now I am v...
Views: 154   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 20, 2009 7:27pm
by Gene Odom
re Red Friday
Some very fine and just comments on the subject of Red Friday and I agree with every one of them. Our boys in uniform do not get the recognition or the credit due to them for the job they do. I know during the 39~45 war they were not shown any credit at times, but th...
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 17, 2009 8:58am
by Fred Hopper 212
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75