Start a New Topic 
71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
VILLACH TRANSIT CAMP
I have had a request from a non emailer member as to the precise location where it was/is. Can anyone help ?
Views: 1964   Replies: 17
Last Post: Sep 4, 2009 3:04pm
by Fred Greenwood 3...
S C H M E L Z September 2 0 0 9
Here are the basic details if you are interested. Ryanair flight FR 5732 from LONDON (Stansted) to GRAZ at 1110hrs. on Wednesday 9 September returning from GRAZ at 1455hrs on Friday 11 September. Basic fare today before baggage add-ons is £65 return. There wil...
Views: 187   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 4, 2009 10:01am
by Roy Boyles 300
NEW MEMBERS THIS WEEK
Following Colin Russell's sterling efforts we have 1 re-joined member 029 Jim Cockman plus 7 new ones. 727 Anthony Wallace is the son of the late Sgt Bill Wallace who featured in the site a short while ago. The others are 723 Joseph Little (RE HQ) 49-54. 724 Arthur T...
Views: 156   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 4, 2009 9:47am
by Roy Boyles 300
70 YEARS AGO, when we were (nearly) all little boys.
3rd September 1939. I remember listening to Neville Chamberlain's high piched chilling voice, coming out of the fretwork-fronted home made radio, saying, "This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final note stating that, unless we...
Views: 200   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 4, 2009 2:16am
by Gene Odom
B E T F O R Fantasy Footballers
On the opening day 15 August, our B team managed 28 points and the A team 17. Several of our select in both teams did not make it on to the pitch. (early days) We can also call on the following. Messrs ANDREWS TURNER LOCKWOOD JENNINGS MILLER THOMPSON FLETCHER...
Views: 132   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 3, 2009 3:57pm
by Roy Boyles 300
Dame Vera Lynn
Did you hear that beautiful interview with Vera Lynn on PM (Radio 4)just now? Apparently she has set a record as the oldest person, at 92, to have a record in the top 20. She is as lively, intelligent and thoughtful as any youngster and spoke about the reasons why...
Views: 173   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 1, 2009 10:06pm
by Larry Southgate
Bowls Crown versus Flat
Fred has raised the ticklish subject in the bowls world as to which is the better game - Crown Green or Flat. I know that he is spoiling for a scrap but I learned a long time ago in Lazzaretto barracks that it is best not to get too stroppy with a chap bigger than yo...
Views: 165   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 29, 2009 8:14am
by Francis Drake
Chane of e-mail address
Just in case anyone should be interested I have today Friday 28 August changed my ISP and e-mail address to: veccio@virginmedia.com. I will, however, be maintaining my e-mail address with sky.com for the time being, but would ask anyone who wishes to contact me by...
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 28, 2009 9:07pm
by Larry Southgate
B E T F OR Members Numbers
Fred's mention about his clients for the Journal back numbers made me realise that I should have included member numbers to go with names mentioned in Villach Transit Camp. When a member phones I always ask for his BETFOR number so will be consistent on this site....
Views: 151   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 28, 2009 4:02pm
by Roy Boyles 300
Lovely Weekend.
Good morning,lovely morning in Suffolk.The Sun is out and it looks like it will be a glorious day. Think i will put a few Abbotts in the cool,ready for the Cricket.Roy is going to take cover,as the Aussie wickets tumble,or throw another shrimp on the Barbie.Might ha...
Views: 195   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 25, 2009 6:57am
by Roy Boyles
Jack Buchanan
As seen on the Notice Board,we mark the passing of another member, Jack Buchanan (394), who after nine weeks in Hospital was finally called to his last parade. Jack was very active on the local soccer scene and his Funeral which took place last Friday 21st, was we...
Views: 142   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 24, 2009 5:20pm
by Ray Griffiths
Re Peter Sexton
I have been away from home for a while and am just catching up with the notices. I am very sad and shocked to read of the passing of Peter Sexton as we served together after his transfere to the RAOC from the Northants.I was one of two Sgts who attended the funeral...
Views: 140   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 24, 2009 4:53pm
by Ray Griffiths
COUNTDOWN TO THE OVAL
Just over 48 hours to go Gene (where are you lately?) There are good odds against an ENGLAND win. How about some sort of response from the numerous viewers out there. WIN LOSE DRAW. Go on, it won't take a moment.
Views: 258   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 24, 2009 7:19am
by Roy Boyles
Have a laugh on me.
Just a little homily to mayhap bring a smile to those old faces. Have a nice Sunday. The Broken Lawn Mower Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right and the other is usually the husband. When our lawn mower broke and wouldn't run,...
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2009 10:08pm
by Larry Southgate
TSO
Nice to here from you Harry after all this time, they were happy days in Trieste 52-53. I am a full member of Betfor No 219. The Photo section is very good. If you haven't the names on the Coronation 53 Unit photo yet Ican provide them. I don't whether you know but...
Views: 260   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 18, 2009 7:46pm
by George Cullen
A Soldiers Thoughts
This is a most heart rendering poem an should be read by all. The leviathan of the sky does land In England's green and pleasant land. Its cargo more precious than gold The body of a hero, bold. Once the giant's engines stopped The cargo ramp...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 18, 2009 9:07am
by Derek Parkey 023
Horse Tip from Newsboy
There is a strong tip going around Newmarket,for todays 2-50 Race.The race will be won by a Grey Horse. So bet your last few bob on it?.
Views: 117   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 16, 2009 10:41am
by Fred Greenwood 3...
B U X T O N Meeting Friday 14th
We are in the Derbyshire High Peak this week. Hoping to see a few new faces from the North West. The DUKE OF YORK is a pleasant country pub. 6 miles SOUTH of Buxton on the A515. (There is another Duke of York in Buxton itself)
Views: 175   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 16, 2009 9:37am
by Roy Boyles
Sgt William Wallace, RASC/INTELIGENCE CORPS
I have only recently learnt of this website. I am the son of late Sgt. William Wallace ex RASC/Inteligence Corps who served in BETFOR for many years, he passed away in Trieste in 1985. I was born in Trieste in 1948 and although I have lived in the UK since the early...
Views: 224   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 15, 2009 4:24pm
by Anthony Wallace
George Cullen
George, I well remember your cheery and forceful presence across the corridor from "l'ufficio in fondo". Thank you for your addition to the names on the TSO Ops photo. I must apologise that it has taken me so long to notice and act on it. You would be very welc...
Views: 145   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 15, 2009 3:29pm
by Harry Dixon
PETER SEXTON.
It is with deep regret that i have to inform you all,that our comrade Peter Sexton passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning,this was confirmed to me by his Son. My heart felt condolances go out to his Family. Peter was a strong supporter of this Association...
Views: 207   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 14, 2009 1:22pm
by Harry Dixon
B U N T H O R N E Rides Again.
Our illustrious founder has his name in the papers today as Gilbert & Sullivan's PATIENCE is performed at the ALBERT HALL. It happens once in a BLUE MOON. Got good notices as well ! Well done Reggie.
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 13, 2009 5:22pm
by Roy Boyles
B E T F O R Fantasy Football 2009-10
It occurred to me last night that we could have two teams in the DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY FOOTBALL COMPETITION (CHAMPIONSHIP section) in the new season. Our teams would be based on our members names. It it not possible in the Premiership because it is heavily occupi...
Views: 200   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 13, 2009 10:20am
by Roy Boyles
FIELD OF REMEMBRANCE 5th November
BETFOR members can meet up at Westminster Abbey and the Westminster Arms, in Storey's Gate opposite the Abbey on the Thursday before Remembrance Day. Your former units are almost certain to have a plot with Poppy Crosses The FIELD will be featured in the next Journ...
Views: 142   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 11, 2009 8:23pm
by Roy Boyles
The English Language
With continental languges the use of the definite article indicates the sex of that object. Whether it is a table , chair or window. Although we English are too prudish for this, there are a lot of items which are definitely Male or Female. FREEZER BAGS; Male,becaus...
Views: 133   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 11, 2009 3:23pm
by Peter Sexton
REMEMBER GEORGE DAVIS !
Not one of our members but you probably recall the event.
Views: 193   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 10, 2009 10:06pm
by Larry Southgate
ASHES CHAPTER 4
Off we go again. I woke this morning following a dream that England were 11 for 2 wickets and one of those was taken by LEE. It was not him but the score was not very wrong. Let us hope that the weather improves just as the footie begins, it usually does ! Gene,...
Views: 141   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 8, 2009 7:26pm
by Gene Odom
Harry Patch
Check out this link. Harry Patch was the last living WWI British veteran. Harry passed away Saturday, July 25th in a nursing home in Wells, England. For those of you who like to keep up with such things this is a significant happening. You can cut and paste the...
Views: 164   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 6, 2009 8:05pm
by Harry Dixon
serving your country
I bet a lot of you think that you were in the Kate to serve God,King(later Queen) and country. In possibly the early part summer of 1946 or 1947 I was serving in Scotland and I had to take a platoon out to help the local farmers, potato harvesting.(no campaign medal...
Views: 146   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 5, 2009 2:47pm
by Peter Sexton
Ashes
Who won the ashes contest? Where does everyone stand? Isn't there two more series? You guys have to keep me informed. Where on the web is the best place to follow the results?
Views: 203   Replies: 13
Last Post: Aug 3, 2009 1:42pm
by Peter Sexton
71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80
Free Forum powered by Bravenet