BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Last Post
What a wonderful World Pt 2
Let's ignore the Pokeymind Goers; yesterday we were in a the beautiful Dee valley in wales at a place where the Dee is still young and tumbles with white water and the place names have so many consonants that they would go onto the nest line. On a field there were sc...
Views: 156   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 12, 2016 4:30pm
by Harry Dixon
Evening all. I will not be contributing much in the next 15 days as I am going on holiday to Trieste and Tarvisio tomorrow. Back in the UK on 29 August. Cheers, Larry
Views: 74   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 8, 2016 10:13pm
by Larry Southgate
Congratulations in order!
Top of the page on the Il Piccolo website tonight. A few weeks ago a gentleman by the Name of Dipiazza was elected to the post of Sindaco(Mayor) of Trieste. A lovely photograph of the website of Il Piccolo today shows Mr Dipazza at his wedding to a very beautif...
Views: 79   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 31, 2016 9:23pm
by Larry Southgate
Who's who and what's what, Yahizon.
I switch on my laptop, load the icons, click on Google Chrome. Up comes Sky. I click on the link for e-mail, and up comes Yahoo Mail on Sky. Who on earth am I actually working with. And Now that Verizon has finally bought out Yahoo Internet, what is our dear f...
Views: 71   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 26, 2016 10:38pm
by Larry Southgate
Telegraph Fantasy Football 2016-17
If anyone would like to join my league LA DOLCE VITA this season they are very welcome. Check out TELEGRAPH FANTASY FOOTBALL to get the picture ! Season begins 13th August.
Views: 64   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 26, 2016 8:25am
by Roy Boyles
Tank manoeuvres: Trieste and Smeltz
Our Hon Secretary, Roy Boyles has received an email from Geoff which is as follows: "I have been interested with the stories about the American tanks on manoeuvers in Trieste. I was also involved in the evening occasion,we were spread in a large area of our sol...
Views: 70   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 25, 2016 3:16pm
by Geoff Hillyard
What a Wonderful World....
It's a song; It's a book but for some that isn't enough. The wonders of this world are far beyond our understanding and it's impossible ever to feel that you have a true grasp of how it all works - never mind wondering whether there might be some sort of reason behin...
Views: 141   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 24, 2016 9:28pm
by Larry Southgate
Our Hon Secretary has received the sad news of the death of Gordon Clark on 1st July. Gordon served with the South Lancashire Regiment in Trieste in 1951 and 1952.
Views: 86   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 23, 2016 2:01pm
by Harry Dixon
BETFOR marriage registrations
Hello everybody, I am an amateur genealogist from Italy, and recently I have received a few requests from descendants of BETFOR members who married local women during their postings there who wish to prove their ancestry in order to claim Italian citizenship by "j...
Views: 91   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 23, 2016 1:18am
by Arturo Camillacc...
Old Age Pensioner members.
Just got my copy of the latest Journal. Congratulations, Geoff. Excellent. I did notice a piece on the last page asking who was the oldest member of the Assn. May I put my name forward for consideration? Born in Bromyard, Herefordshire, on 7 June 1925. So...
Views: 114   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 20, 2016 9:40pm
by Larry Southgate
It is sad news that Dave Tynan (598) has reached the Last Post. Dave had been ill for some time. His daughter, Lynn, told me this morning that he had been in hospital for a month. He served in the MT Platoon, North Staffs Regt. and at one time was the CO's driver....
Views: 83   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 19, 2016 9:30am
by Colin Russell
Visit to Triests
Hello My wife and I are visiting Trieste for a week in August, we wish to visit some of the palces my Father in law would have known when in the North Staffs based in Trieste in 1952. Where should we be visiting?
Views: 171   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 16, 2016 9:21pm
by Larry Southgate
A few snippets from the pages of Il Piccolo tonight.
You've probably all heard of the political movement in Trieste called the TLT. "The Free Territory of Trieste". Well, the latest news from them is that 229 members are in revolt and say they will no longer pay any taxes to the Italian government. Their numbers s...
Views: 86   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 12, 2016 11:10pm
by Larry Southgate
Royal Navy Demolition Teams / Divers
I'm trying to track down some info on my Great Uncle, Edward Smith RN, who was in Trieste just after the end of WWII. He was involved in clearing the "harbor". We do have a pic of him on skis of all things at a resort somewhere near Trieste with a guy in a bear cost...
Views: 109   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 11, 2016 11:52pm
by Liliana Pajola
just to see how many readers we have these days, and how many might bother to respond, I will be putting up a cash reward shortly. When the 16 teams for the final stages are known there will a simple competition. You do not need any knowledge about the game. Still a...
Views: 180   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 11, 2016 11:35am
by Roy Boyles
Date of next Southampton Meeting
My next meeting will take place on Thursday 20th October 12.00 noon at Gusto Bistro, corner of Commercial Road and Cumberland Place (by the traffic lights) Southampton. Contact John Barron 01794 514686. Gusto's has turned out to be a great meeting place and a big...
Views: 77   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 11, 2016 10:08am
by Paula
Beware - scam??
I've had two emails from an Italian source with no message but with a link to a website. It's inadvisable to open any link to a web address unless you are Sure it's all right. If it is genuine it will surely have a message in the body of the email. Scammers oft...
Views: 71   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 10, 2016 9:24pm
by Larry Southgate
Poverty - is anoother word?
I noticed in the I Piccolo web-site tonight the following: The income level at which poverty kicks in in Gorizia has been fixed at €10,485 which translated into pounds sterling at 1.20€ works out at £8737.50. What's the Old Age pension in Blight...
Views: 94   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 10, 2016 9:12am
by Dave796 RAF
Born in Betfor
I wonder if someone could help me please. I was born in the military hospital in Trieste in 1949, my mother was Italian and my father a British soldier. I have a British passport, however, all my life I thought I had Italian connections as I have my mothers relatives...
Views: 183   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jul 6, 2016 1:35am
by Barbara Jacome
And what?
From the Il Piccolo web-site today: Il Palio di Siena. Vince la Lupa dopo 27 anni. The Pallio di Siena : La Lupa wins after 27 years.
Views: 80   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 3, 2016 9:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chap 10
Good morning all – and welcome to the new chapter in these ramblings from up here. Little did I think when I first put fingers to keyboard that they were going to continue as long as they have, and no doubt a lot of you out there were of the same mind. As wel...
Views: 381   Replies: 21
Last Post: Jul 3, 2016 8:58am
by Dave796 RAF
Boat services from Trieste.
For anybody going to Trieste this summer/autumn don't forget there are now various boat services available from Trieste. A new service is one from Trieste to Grado. Then there will be the usual one to Sistiana and the hydrofoil service to Pola which starts on 1 Ju...
Views: 61   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 29, 2016 11:04pm
by Larry Southgate
Politics in Trieste
Our special corrspondent in Trieste, Liliana Pajola, decided to have a go in the latst local elections which took place late May early June. They elected a new Mayor, Riccardo Dipiazza. I asked Liliana how she had done. Here is a translation of her reply: Quote: The...
Views: 58   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 28, 2016 8:58am
by Larry Southgate
A final goodbye to Marshal Tito.
The name of Marshal Tito has gone down in history. For good or for bad, he steered the country of Jugoslavia through the war with the Germans and for many years afterwards. There is a short paragraph in the web-site of Il Piccolo today 22 May 2016 which is, maybe...
Views: 225   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 23, 2016 11:54pm
by Larry Southgate
Brexit fears and coincidences.
Over the past few days, watching the rolling news at the top of the Il Piccolo web-site it has been interesting to see that all the stock-markets, even in China and Japan, have been in turmoil with prices generally static or falling. And each notice is accompanied...
Views: 86   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 22, 2016 11:40pm
by Larry Southgate
Great Continental Railway Journeys! Never mind Ronaldo and the other pampered pillocks prancing about the paddock, the multi-coloured Portillo is travelling by train from Vienna to Trieste on BBC 2. If you have to see Ronaldo's latest hairdo and you don't want...
Views: 85   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 22, 2016 4:59pm
by Harry Dixon
LAST POST: Sid Brown
We regret to announce the sad death of Sid brown, Royal Artillery. Our thoughts are with his family and friends. Davig Griggs and Roy Boyles received the following email from his daughter Katherine adams: Dear Officers of BETFOR I am contacting you to le...
Views: 74   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2016 2:03pm
by Harry Dixon
Ticking about Tech.
Remember “ticking” as in “He ticks like a clock” meaning “He’s always grumbling”? Well I have quite a few ticks about technology. First, let’s take all the good things – and I have to admit - there are far mor...
Views: 46   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 16, 2016 7:37pm
by Harry Dixon
Treat well the refugees or else!
Now here's something you don't see very often but it sure is something to think about when you are talking about immigrants: This taken from the web-site of Il Piccolo today: Missing welcome for the refugees: Investigation by the Prosecutors officials> The fi...
Views: 60   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 5, 2016 11:21pm
by Larry Southgate
How is your Engish?
Do you ever read the leaflets inside the box which contains your medicines or pills or products you buy for your health's sake? They generally ask you to read carefully before you use the product. I don’t know about you folks out there but......EYE SP...
Views: 58   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2016 10:35pm
by Larry Southgate
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13