Start a New Topic 
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Letter to a Bank Manager.
Elderly Banking... ..............PRICELESS!! Shown below, is an actual letter that was sent to a bank by an 82-year-old woman. The bank manager thought it amusing enough to have it published in the New York Times. Dear Sir: I am writing to thank you...
Views: 147   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 9, 2015 10:19pm
by Larry Southgate
Fred Greenwood
I have just heard from Fred's nephew that he is seriously ill in hospital with a chest infection.
Views: 190   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 7, 2015 4:22pm
by Geoff Fleet
TIME!
I don't know about you others out there but it seems to me that since we put the clocks back one hour, time seems to have slowed down! I keep looking at the clocks I have scattered all round the house and the hands don't seem to have moved as fast as they used to....
Views: 100   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 6, 2015 10:02pm
by Larry Southgate
Was this us??
WAS THIS US? A little house with three bedrooms, one bathroom and one car on the street. A mower that you had to push to make the grass look neat. In the kitchen on the wall we only had one phone, And no need for recording things, someone was always h...
Views: 172   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 9:23am
by Harry Dixon
At my age............
Anyone out there got any more ????????? AS I AGE, I REALIZE THAT: 1. I talk to myself, because sometimes I need expert advice. 2. Sometimes I roll my eyes out loud. 3. I don't need anger management. I need people to stop being stupid with me 4. My p...
Views: 132   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 9:54am
by Dave 796 RAF
"Royals" in the Gulf of Trieste.
There has, apparently, been a “royal” visitor in the Gulf of Trieste. They are talking about the catching in the nets of a fishing boat from Grado called the ‘Uragano’ (Hurricane), of a species of crab called the “Royal Blue”, sc...
Views: 158   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 1, 2015 7:32pm
by Harry Dixon
Great Continental Railway Journies
Just a reminder that Michael Portillo is on one of his trips on BBC2 at 2100 hours tonight when he is travelling from Vienna to Trieste.
Views: 140   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 24, 2015 9:09pm
by Larry Southgate
REME 14 Port Workshop
I have just become an associate member of BETFOR and also just returned from my first short stay in Trieste. My Father was there, and about, from 1945 until November 1947. We have been trying to find his place of work which was, we believe, 14 Port Workshops not the...
Views: 190   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 21, 2015 10:48pm
by Paula Pakeman
Visit to San Marino.
I may have mentioned that I have been invited to a Military Extravaganza taking place in San Marino from 18 to 20 September. Ticket booked for flight to Venice on 17 Sep returning on 22 September. So now I have to worry about getting to Lichfield the next day....
Views: 181   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 19, 2015 6:49pm
by Harry Dixon
Oh dear.............
....it's started! I know, you will have had the same sinking feeling - perhaps for some time now - but it's the time to "be merry" again. What that means, most of the time, is that we'll have stuff shoved in front of us all the time which we simply don't want - and w...
Views: 147   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2015 9:24am
by Dave 796 RAF
Ratlines and the work of TSO
When I joined TSO in February 1952, part of the introduction was a brief overview of the work of the "office" and I learned, for the first time, that not all of Yugoslavia had been anti-Fascist and anti-Nazi. Croatia had largely been fro-Nazi and many of the populati...
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 16, 2015 7:20pm
by Harry Dixon
War of the wines/vines.
I know not if any of you, on your visits to Trieste, have ever requested a glass of Terrano wine in a restuarant. This is the "famous" wine from the Carso behind Trieste. Some years it is extremely palatable, but the odd year does occur when it is best to use it...
Views: 92   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 14, 2015 10:07pm
by Larry Southgate
"Incastrato in San Dorligo......"
Not as painful as it sounds for the driver but the lorry was badly damage when it became wedged in this narrow alley way in San Dorligo. The Polish driver was no doubt following the instructions on his satnav. "Un tir polacco si è incastrato stanotte, a m...
Views: 168   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 14, 2015 2:23pm
by Harry Dixon
Today's word............
... is "puzza". It may not come in handy every day but Il Piccolo makes it headline news. It seems that the work of Consiglio Comunale (Council) has had to be suspended because of a "puzza" - it's a foul pong. The reporter goes on to say that the president of the...
Views: 167   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 8, 2015 10:44pm
by Larry Southgate
GREETINGS & MORE TALES OF WALES - Chap 7
Good morning all – and what a nice day we have here, bright sunshine a few clouds but we still have a rather too cool a breeze at the moment. Also welcome to chapter 7 of this ongoing saga of life up here in the north end of Wales. The big news of the day (and...
Views: 382   Replies: 19
Last Post: Oct 4, 2015 9:14am
by Dave 796 RAF
WW 11 Airfields
I gave some details of HMS Ringtail some time ago after I'd met Peter Preston a 90 year old ex- Spitfire pilot who was about to do a parachute jump in aid of charity. HMS Ringtail was a RNAS station at Burscough which took squadrons from aircraft carriers entering Li...
Views: 123   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 2, 2015 7:50pm
by brian
Who wants to get high?
Don't say I never bring you interesting news from the Il Piccolo web-site. There is a rolling type of headline news at the top right-hand side of the page with little snippets of info from Europe, the USA and the world. One little piece caught my eye tonight. I...
Views: 89   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 1, 2015 10:01pm
by Larry Southgate
Translating German!
I've often watched that advert for a German car on TV which ends with the words: Vorsprung Durch Tecnik. So I thought I would, with the aid of an old German/English dictionary, try to translate the phrase. This is the result. We all know that the Germans l...
Views: 113   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 30, 2015 10:12pm
by Larry Southgate
Windows 10.
Has anybody else downloaded Windows 10 yet? I did on Friday. And my laptop seized up. Took it to my favourite Computer Tech shop. Got it back on Saturday pm. It is now running on Windows 10. It's going to take a while to get used to all the changes from W...
Views: 244   Replies: 12
Last Post: Sep 30, 2015 10:06pm
by Larry Southgate
Hooker again ???
They haven't said what position they want me to play - yet.
Views: 114   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 29, 2015 7:11pm
by Harry Dixon
TRIESTE Nuova allerta meteo, stavolta legata a forti piogge
The headline from Il Piccolo today.It's fairly obvious but it starts with "New met alert......." and "pioggia" is rain, so the scene shown above in Piazza Borsa is likely to be repeated. This time there is likely to be strong wind. I don't know if the photo m...
Views: 197   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 24, 2015 10:56pm
by Larry Southgate
Royal Naval Query
I received a phone call on Tuesday evening from a Peter Ray. He explained his mother, Etta Ray, is a Trieste girl who was married to Jack Ray,a Naval officer. Peter Ray was born in Trieste in 1949. They lived in a large house in Trieste which they shared with the Am...
Views: 130   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 24, 2015 4:20pm
by Geoff Fleet
CHANGE OF VENUE. SOUTHAMPTON
Johb Barron has emailed to say that the venue for the next meeting in Southampton will be on Thursday December 10th at the Gusto Bistro at the top of Commercial Road, on the cornet of Commercial Place. See the map below:
Views: 122   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 21, 2015 4:36pm
by Harry Dixon
Winter suntan, anyone?
If anyone is going to Dubai to get some winter suntan, here are a few words or phrases that may come in handy. Remember the letter 'a' is pronounced hard as in 'ah' and the letter 'e' is like the e in 'bed' whilst the ch is that strange guttural sound. When meetin...
Views: 89   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 16, 2015 10:21pm
by Larry Southgate
Just thinking out loud.
Memories were really stirred by the TV Programme about the Fly Past in honour of the Battle of Britain in 1940. I bet Fred had the time of his life photographing around the Duxford area. We'll have to wait and see if he was well enough to get out with his camera....
Views: 97   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2015 11:29pm
by Larry Southgate
Larry in Beegden
Larry was invited to go to Beegden last year as part of the celebrations to mark the end of the war. Here he is standing on the same spot, in front of the farm-house, where he stood 70 years before in November 1944. He has been invited also to San Marino and w...
Views: 92   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 14, 2015 5:00pm
by Harry Dixon
The BMH in Trieste.
The old British Military Hospital in Via Fabio Severo in Trieste, which last year underwent a huge renovation and was being used as a residence for students from the University has been purchased, after being put up for sale by the State, by a gent from Venice (who,...
Views: 445   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 13, 2015 4:32pm
by Harry Dixon
Virus warning.
I have received an e-mail from Liliana in Trieste saying she has received an e-mail from: "T Southgate" which apparently asks her to "click on a link which leads to something to do with Dental Care". Anyone who has had an e-mail from me in the last week is urg...
Views: 93   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2015 10:50pm
by Larry Southgate
In the midst of life...........
Two little snippets from the web-site of Il Piccolo tonight: A man has been savaged to death by a wild boar in the region of Frosinone in Southern Italy.: In Catanzaro, Southern Italy, a child has fallen from the fifth floor of a block of flats and was found u...
Views: 101   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 11, 2015 10:41pm
by Larry Southgate
PHOTO: It's still nice here.......
Il Piccolo reports that there has been some serious vandalism in Piazza Borsa but here a Brit show the way - how to blend in unobtrusively and in the very best possible taste.
Views: 139   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 7, 2015 9:56pm
by Larry Southgate
Late Report on Recent Suffolk Gatherings
At our recent meet up,we had the usual turn out,it was good to see our Mate Gordon make it again. Sadly the Cooks were absent,so no comment on their cooking expliots at Rossetti,i can still remember the Ladel of Pom,hitting the Mess TIN. A thought i wanted some Wa...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 4, 2015 10:22pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
PHOTO: Turned out nice again........!
Remember us, the two Brits at Barcola? I thought it would make a nice change after all that wet, stormy weather.
Views: 259   Replies: 11
Last Post: Sep 4, 2015 2:45pm
by Roy Walter
Mountains... inks.....and a squirrel.
Just back from a few days in the Lakes and still full of memories revived from the days when I spent most of my leisure time there. I have longed, for some time to walk along ridges, scramble up stream-beds and beside waterfalls and stand on the top of a hill. No mor...
Views: 119   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 28, 2015 4:52pm
by Geoff Fleet
And you thought Grado was safe for bathers?
During the years 1960 to 1980 and afterwards, together with my family, I used to drive across Europe to Trieste and on Sundays, with friends we would spend the day on the “Bagno dei Poveri” (Poor People’s Beach) in Grado. We also went to stay oc...
Views: 106   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 25, 2015 8:31am
by Harry Dixon
John Barron's local gathering.......
John has sent me the following photos{
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2015 1:42pm
by Harry Dixon
How goes Trieste & Italy today?
A few snippets from the Piccolo web-site at 2230 hrs on 10 August 2015: Temperature in the city at 2215 hours tonight was 27 degrees C with clear skies. Augusta in Sicily is awaiting the arrival of another 490 immigrants stranded at sea. 1552 immigrants resc...
Views: 176   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 17, 2015 8:29am
by Harry Dixon
Heart Attacks.
This sounds like good advice, and easy to do. IF! you can remember at the time of a potential heart attack . Here's something they didn't teach us in nurse's training. Read this for info: Dear ALL, 1 Let's say it's 7.25pm and you're going h...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 9:56pm
by Larry Southgate
ASHES The 4th Test Match
We do not have a mass viewing on the BETFOR site but I feel I should report that I was there on Thursday, 6th August. Need I say more ?
Views: 130   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 11, 2015 2:22pm
by Harry Dixon
TELEGRAPH FANTASY FOOTBALL 2015-16
Anyone out there who could like to join my league called LA DOLCE VITA. ? It is free and you could get a horse running in the Grand National next April (also free) Registration soon. It will keep you amused eight through the winter. Your grandchildren can enter as we...
Views: 114   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 4, 2015 12:17pm
by Roy Boyles
Boat trip Trieste - Sistiana.
I believe I informed you all about the new boat service which has been started by the Green Delfino company to run from the Maritime Station to Sistiana. I took a couple of trips as a means of getting some fresh cool air during the time I was on holiday in the city...
Views: 99   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 3, 2015 11:34pm
by Larry Southgate
Are you really sure that's wise.
Windows 10 is on offer. If you have SP or 7 it can be downloaded free. BUT two people who've tried it have found it a pain, breaking up repeatedly. They also find no benefit over 7 and think an SP version will soon be out.
Views: 123   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 3, 2015 8:31am
by Harry Dixon
The Tortoise and the Hare
Have you never seen that your rear-view mirror is filled with the front of a black (or white) car, the driver being seen with his knuckles white as he keeps pulling out in a desperate hope that there might be a straight bit of road ahead and at least twenty feet...
Views: 154   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 31, 2015 3:38pm
by Roy Walter
A beautiful poem.
WALK WITH ME WHILE I AGE. I hope this poem as the same effect on you as it did on me.............. then my forwarding it will have been worth the effort. Walk with my by the water....................worth the read. A BEAUTIFUL POEM ABOUT GROWING OLDER....
Views: 97   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 28, 2015 10:20pm
by Larry Southgate
George Stephen Wilson
Our Membership Secretary, David Griggs has been approached by Mr Robert McIntosh who is seeking information on behalf of his wife about her father, George Wilson who served in Trieste in 1946. She is unsure about his regiment but it appears to have been a Scottish re...
Views: 122   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 26, 2015 12:41pm
by Harry Dixon
Six Jokes.
BIRTH CONTROL FOR GRANDMA The doctor that had been seeing an 80-year-old woman for most of her life finally retired. At her next checkup, the new Doctor told her to bring a list of all the medicines that had been prescribed for her. As the young doctor was...
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 25, 2015 8:45pm
by Larry Southgate
Can anybody help??
What follows is an extract from an e-mail sent to David Griggs. Anybody out there able to put a light on this problem? I am not IT capable enough of posting the photos here. Maybe if I forwarded them to Harry he could do so??? Quote; My wife and I just note...
Views: 123   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 24, 2015 11:30pm
by Larry Southgate
Another 'Old Comrade' discovered.
On my recent holiday in Trieste, one morning, outside our favourite Ice-cream parlour, Di Martino, I met a gentleman in a wheelchair. Told me his name is John Dearlove. Ex-Royal Engineers, of San Giovanni. He was there early on during the FTT, Then got posted t...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 24, 2015 10:39pm
by Larry Southgate
What's in a name?
I'm not a great user of Facebook.It was a good idea originally, but since then it's been trivualised by idiots who persist in filling it with unspeakable garbage.However it was recently suggested by a friend that I looked up a certain item,when I spotted an entry tel...
Views: 145   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 23, 2015 11:38pm
by Geoff Fleet
Soufflé Omelettes
I can't seem to find the original page with mentions of soufflé omelettes and how well Maria made them - but if anyone would like to share the secret of her method I would be grateful! I have evolved a system of my own but it is no great dish so any help would b...
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 23, 2015 11:33am
by Dave 796 RAF
A Matter of Some Importance.......
Beer. Pubs used to serve beer in glass tankards, heavy dimpled things which refracted the light in attractive ways; they seemed to fit in with the warm, homely, usually smokey atmosphere of the local pub. Many pubs had the tankards hanging for hooks above the bar and...
Views: 153   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 16, 2015 3:44pm
by Harry Dixon
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Free Forum powered by Bravenet