Start a New Topic 
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Date of Next Meeting
My next meeting will be on Thursday 2nd February at 11.30 Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton
Views: 107   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 12:41pm
by John Barron
Association Ties
Hi, Can anyone advise if there are still any Association Ties and Lapel Badges available??
Views: 177   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 12:11pm
by Michael Hood #78...
Earthquake in New Zealand.
There has been a tremendous earthquake in New Zealand. 7.9 on the Richter Scale. The centre of Wellington has had to be evacuated.
Views: 97   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 13, 2016 10:53pm
by Larry Southgate
The oldest member
Larry. I feel that I should put you out of your misery you have waited a long time for the result. The order of paid up members is as follows ,First A. Balderstone 751.02-03-1923. Second. R Gibbs. 803 08-10-1923. Third A Gardener. 804 25-10-1923.No medal for fourth...
Views: 270   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 11, 2016 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
Rememberence
This is the day that all members of BETFOR should take a few minuits to remember the members that have attended their last parade. also the men and women who lost their their lives in the persuit of a better world.My best regards to you all Roland.
Views: 108   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 11, 2016 10:47am
by Roland
Earthquakes in Italy.
A note in Il Piccolo tonight: The office concerned with the counting of earthquakes in Italy announces that since August this year, 24,700 tremors have been registered. And to add to the misery of the people in the region affected, the weather forecast for this w...
Views: 109   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 7, 2016 9:59pm
by Larry Southgate
493 Mr Samuel Pugh
Does anyone have an updated phone number for 493 Mr Samuel Pugh?
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 2, 2016 7:56pm
by David Broadhead
A New and Shiny One.....
Il Piccolo carries this photo of the familiar "El Tram" but isn't there something odd about it? It's made of Lego.
Views: 104   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 31, 2016 3:10pm
by Harry Dixon
Oh dear !!
I don't know about you but I find the increasingly early appearance of "Christmas" parafenalia (don't know if that's how you spell it and I won't dignify it by looking it up) a pain because it's merely an extension of what has become an annoying marketing exercise....
Views: 87   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 27, 2016 2:09pm
by Harry Dixon
Earthquake.
There's been another earthquake in Italy tonight with a range of 5.6 on the Richter Scale. This time it's been the central zone of the country to get a good thumping. Places named in the reports given in Il Piccolo are Castelsantangelo sul Nera, Visso and Preci in...
Views: 79   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 26, 2016 9:39pm
by Larry Southgate
Palaazzo Carciotti
The "palace" stands on the Riva to the right of the "Grand Canal". IT is clearly a huge building and was to have been a museum. The new "junta" Decided to put two thirds of it on the market but were advised that no-one would want it on those terms. It is now for sale...
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2016 4:23pm
by Harry Dixon
How to learn to be English!
There is a small article in the web-site of Il Piccolo tonight which is vairy interesssting: For the past two or three years there has been established in Sistiana a Language School teaching English and other languages. Unfortunately for the owner, apparently an...
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 21, 2016 11:05pm
by Larry Southgate
No bread tomorrow?
Panificatori in sciopero: 21 e 22 ottobre senza pane Panificatori in sciopero: 21 e 22 ottobre senza pane Panificatori in sciopero: 21 e 22 ottobre senza pane Panificatori in sciopero: 21 e 22 ottobre senza pane Can you imagine seeing those headlines i the pa...
Views: 94   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 20, 2016 8:56pm
by Larry Southgate
S nippets from Il Piccolo.
From tonights Piccolo web-site: The Euro has fallen below $1.10 today on the markets but the sterling has gained a few points. 20,000 babies and infant have arrive as migrants in Italy so far this year, according to Unicef. A couple of months ago a children'...
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 18, 2016 11:13pm
by Larry Southgate
Drivers and words.
Drivers first of all - I used to blame Clarkson for the growing tendency amongst drivers to consider the whole exercise a challenge. Clarkson clowns seem to feel that any car in front of them MUST be passed - even if there is a chain of other cars in front and their...
Views: 98   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 17, 2016 7:32pm
by Harry Dixon
Freebees!
There must be some of you out there, even the 'silent majority' who have grandchildren, even great and great-great grandchildren who could be interested in LEGo. So do them a favour and get them some LEGO toys for Xmas. Buy the Daily Mail on Saturday and the Mail...
Views: 71   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 11, 2016 8:55pm
by Larry Southgate
BETFOR 1952
Hi everyone, I am looking for some information or maybe for someone to point me in the right direction... My granddad Alan Rudge Birkett served from 24/04/1950 to 19/01/1951 with BETFOR, does anyone have any information on this? Any help would be much app...
Views: 156   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 11, 2016 6:47pm
by Kim
Jan Morris on BBC iPlayer
The final moments of the Programme shown on Saturday 8th October when she is interviewed by Michael Palin show TS from her final book(2001)TRIESTE AND THE MEANING OF NOWHERE'. It can be seen on iPlayer for the next month.
Views: 135   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 10, 2016 11:13pm
by Harry Dixon
My Meeting 20th October
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend my meeting on the 20th October as I now have an appointment on that day to have my cataract operation, something of course I cannot turn down. I hope though that the meeting will go ahead with out me and hopefully between t...
Views: 109   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 8, 2016 12:05pm
by Roy Walter
What are the odds...........?
This morning I went to the local health centre for a routine blood test and took a book of crossword puzzles to pass the time - there can be a bit of a queue. i took a ticket, saw there were 7 before me and settled in for a wait. I came to a clue which read, "Rupe...
Views: 82   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 7, 2016 2:15pm
by Harry Dixon
Trooping the Colour 1947
In the journal (well done again Geoff) Edward Lawton tells a great tale about playing in the King's Own Regimental band on this occasion and he would love to see a copy of the programme. There is such a programme at the King's Own Royal Regiment's Museum in Lancaster...
Views: 85   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 5, 2016 8:03pm
by Harry Dixon
PHOTO: Sorry...... but not very.
I've been neglecting my duties in not refreshing this page and picture for a while but I think the photo is excuse enough. We've been in the Highlands. There was no wi-fi and not even a mobile signal except at the pub down in the village.
Views: 162   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 4, 2016 7:17pm
by Harry Dixon
Re: Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chap 11
Good morning all - The summer seems to have deserted us once again this morning and we seem to be in for another wet and windy day. Ah well, press on as the philosophers of old were fond of saying, or so my old Dad used to tell me. And welcome to chapter 11 of this...
Views: 359   Replies: 15
Last Post: Sep 25, 2016 9:13am
by Dave796 RAF
TSO again I'm afraid.
With apologies to the member who complained about the excessive amount of attention given to the tiny, unsoldierlike unit based in Via Coroneo, I have news of yet another former member who has become a published author. You can see a photo of him as he was in 195...
Views: 133   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 18, 2016 2:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Never let your right hand........
THE TRIESTE COUNCIL BEAUROCRATS GOT THEIR KNICKERS IN A TWIST THIS WEEK. 18 September 1938, Benito Mussolini announced, from a balcony overlooking Piazza Unita, to a huge welcoming crowd, the promulgation of the Racial Laws, which forbid the Jews any rights in It...
Views: 63   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 16, 2016 10:40pm
by Larry Southgate
Italy gets upset at UE meeting.
At the meeting of UE leaders in Bratislava, Renzi, the Italian Premier, has fallen out with Merkel and Hollande, saying - "we cannot agree in any way on migrants and austerity". Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, one time President of Italy, who led the country in the troubled...
Views: 58   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 16, 2016 10:26pm
by Larry Southgate
Love thy brother **?......
Headline in Il Piccolo web-site yesterday: KOSOVO calla out halt from Belgrade to Europe. SERBIA, in her negotiations for joining the UE: "We will respect all the conditions, excepting that on the independence of PRISTINA." A short synopsis of the article is...
Views: 62   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 16, 2016 10:20pm
by Larry Southgate
Brace yourselves !
Dave was quite right to fear the worst about the new "advent" - the coming of the greatest merchandising opportunity of the year - and we shall all be the victims. I've already been a victim; I've had two mince pies. The guilty party was the shop I praised so re...
Views: 71   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2016 7:37pm
by Harry Dixon
Pola.
Whilst I was on holiday I took a trip down to Pola. To celebrate the fact that it was 70 years ago that I had spent almost six months there in Monumenti Barracks. They have done a lot of building in the town but most of the old town is still as I left it. The P...
Views: 64   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2016 10:33pm
by Larry Southgate
Has the world slowed down?
Has the world slowed down?? I ask the question because today, it seems, has been the longest Sunday I have experienced for months. Every time I looked at one of my clocks it seemed as if the hands had stopped. Same thing when I tuned in the telly. I was sure...
Views: 68   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2016 10:20pm
by Larry Southgate
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14