Start a New Topic 
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Winter comes to Trieste (and Italy).
Bora sino a 145 orari a Trieste. Oltre 200 chiamate ai pompieri. Gru pericolante, chiusa via dell'Istria. Ursus sotto "controllo" Bora a 217 km sul ponte di Veglia. Neve a Lissa e Brazza Translation: Bora up to 145 km per hour in Trieste. (That's still not up t...
Views: 124   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 18, 2017 10:51pm
by Larry Southgate
Subscriptions
Things are a bit quiet on the web site at the moment so I thought I would make your day. To the members that have paid my most. Sincere thanks.To the members that have yet to pay please put your pen to the paper to day.Thanking you in anticipation. Regards Roland.
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 17, 2017 8:27am
by Roland
Finding info on my late father - Frank Brook
Hi, I looking for information on my late father, Frank Brook, who was stationed in Trieste during the troubles in early 1950`s. My mother & I were also there as my father was an officer in the Lancashire Fusiliers. I lived in a hotel in the centre of Trieste&...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 15, 2017 12:46pm
by Richard Brook
LAST POST
George Cullen, who was Chief Clerk at Trieste Security Office in the fifties, has died. We are indebted to Mr Phillip Churm for passing on the sad news; this is his email: "Ladies and Gentlemen It is with sadness to let you know that WO2 (Retd) George Cullen pa...
Views: 225   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 8, 2017 7:30pm
by Geoff Fleet - Ho...
Request for assistance with family research, Iolanda Giorgini and Arthur Smith
Hello all, My name is Richard Barber and I am writing with a request for assistance in my family research. I am the grandson of one, Iolanda Giorgini, who was born (03/04/1930) and raised in Trieste, during which time she married her first husband, Arthur Smit...
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 7, 2017 12:19am
by Richard Barber
A Time to Look Back......
....because it might be more worrying to look ahead!! I've just been reading Dave's post; it's always good to hear from someone who always has a positive, self-deprecatory attitude to life. Bad backs!!I could go on but I won't. Looking back...... I remember the...
Views: 150   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 6, 2017 10:41pm
by Larry Southgate
THE BETFOR EMAIL LIST AT CHRISTMAS 2016.
I will be sending out seasonal greetings shortly to see how much response I get from the membership. A single word response will be sufficient.
Views: 205   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 31, 2016 7:13pm
by Paula
No Room at the Inn.
If you're thinking of going to Trieste for New Year, you're too late; they're full up. From BB to 5 star they're stuffed, notwithstanding the extra cost. A suite at Porto Piccolo will sett you back 1.352 euros and a double in Piazza Unita 519. According to the articl...
Views: 166   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 30, 2016 4:34pm
by Harry Dixon
BETFOR Car stickers.
Do you remember the first type we used to have? The red one with just the Alabarda on it? Has anybody out there still got an unused one lying around? A friend of mine in Trieste would like to get hold of one. Any offers? In the spirit of Christmas?
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 21, 2016 10:33pm
by Larry Southgate
Christmas Greetings
Thought I would take this opportunity before we get cut off in our prime to: WISH YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017. Cheers folks, Larry.
Views: 121   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 21, 2016 8:28pm
by Bernard Evans
Greetings & More Tales From Wales - Chap 12.
Good Morning All - I thought it was about time I started a new chapter in this epic and October seems to be an appropriate month to do so. The weather seems to agree with me too as we have a bright, sunny and cold Sunday morning up here, the temperature outside i...
Views: 348   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 19, 2016 10:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Bravenet Support Test
Bravenet Support Test
Views: 164   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 19, 2016 2:28pm
by Harry Dixon
It's happened again !
Yet again a huge cruise ship, a Viking Ocean Cruise ship, has been unable to enter Venice because of poor visibility and has been diverted to Trieste. You can imagine the confusion amongst the punters. "It's Monday; should be Venice Italy. Where's this? Never heard o...
Views: 138   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2016 7:29pm
by Harry Dixon
A Trieste caos in Stazione marittima per l'arrivo imprevisto di "Costa Deliziosa"
In Trieste there is chaos at the Maritime Station at the unexpected arrival of the "Costa Deliziosa". This chap was saying, "Honest; it was that big" and didn't even see it coming through the mist. Apparently, The "Deliziosa" had tried to enter Venice but found it...
Views: 143   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2016 3:53pm
by Harry Dixon
Date of Next Meeting
My next meeting will be on Thursday 2nd February at 11.30 Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 12:41pm
by John Barron
Association Ties
Hi, Can anyone advise if there are still any Association Ties and Lapel Badges available??
Views: 178   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 12:11pm
by Michael Hood #78...
Earthquake in New Zealand.
There has been a tremendous earthquake in New Zealand. 7.9 on the Richter Scale. The centre of Wellington has had to be evacuated.
Views: 103   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 13, 2016 10:53pm
by Larry Southgate
The oldest member
Larry. I feel that I should put you out of your misery you have waited a long time for the result. The order of paid up members is as follows ,First A. Balderstone 751.02-03-1923. Second. R Gibbs. 803 08-10-1923. Third A Gardener. 804 25-10-1923.No medal for fourth...
Views: 276   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 11, 2016 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
Rememberence
This is the day that all members of BETFOR should take a few minuits to remember the members that have attended their last parade. also the men and women who lost their their lives in the persuit of a better world.My best regards to you all Roland.
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 11, 2016 10:47am
by Roland
Earthquakes in Italy.
A note in Il Piccolo tonight: The office concerned with the counting of earthquakes in Italy announces that since August this year, 24,700 tremors have been registered. And to add to the misery of the people in the region affected, the weather forecast for this w...
Views: 121   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 7, 2016 9:59pm
by Larry Southgate
493 Mr Samuel Pugh
Does anyone have an updated phone number for 493 Mr Samuel Pugh?
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 2, 2016 7:56pm
by David Broadhead
A New and Shiny One.....
Il Piccolo carries this photo of the familiar "El Tram" but isn't there something odd about it? It's made of Lego.
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 31, 2016 3:10pm
by Harry Dixon
Oh dear !!
I don't know about you but I find the increasingly early appearance of "Christmas" parafenalia (don't know if that's how you spell it and I won't dignify it by looking it up) a pain because it's merely an extension of what has become an annoying marketing exercise....
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 27, 2016 2:09pm
by Harry Dixon
Earthquake.
There's been another earthquake in Italy tonight with a range of 5.6 on the Richter Scale. This time it's been the central zone of the country to get a good thumping. Places named in the reports given in Il Piccolo are Castelsantangelo sul Nera, Visso and Preci in...
Views: 80   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 26, 2016 9:39pm
by Larry Southgate
Palaazzo Carciotti
The "palace" stands on the Riva to the right of the "Grand Canal". IT is clearly a huge building and was to have been a museum. The new "junta" Decided to put two thirds of it on the market but were advised that no-one would want it on those terms. It is now for sale...
Views: 118   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2016 4:23pm
by Harry Dixon
How to learn to be English!
There is a small article in the web-site of Il Piccolo tonight which is vairy interesssting: For the past two or three years there has been established in Sistiana a Language School teaching English and other languages. Unfortunately for the owner, apparently an...
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 21, 2016 11:05pm
by Larry Southgate
No bread tomorrow?
Panificatori in sciopero: 21 e 22 ottobre senza pane Panificatori in sciopero: 21 e 22 ottobre senza pane Panificatori in sciopero: 21 e 22 ottobre senza pane Panificatori in sciopero: 21 e 22 ottobre senza pane Can you imagine seeing those headlines i the pa...
Views: 98   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 20, 2016 8:56pm
by Larry Southgate
S nippets from Il Piccolo.
From tonights Piccolo web-site: The Euro has fallen below $1.10 today on the markets but the sterling has gained a few points. 20,000 babies and infant have arrive as migrants in Italy so far this year, according to Unicef. A couple of months ago a children'...
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 18, 2016 11:13pm
by Larry Southgate
Drivers and words.
Drivers first of all - I used to blame Clarkson for the growing tendency amongst drivers to consider the whole exercise a challenge. Clarkson clowns seem to feel that any car in front of them MUST be passed - even if there is a chain of other cars in front and their...
Views: 100   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 17, 2016 7:32pm
by Harry Dixon
Freebees!
There must be some of you out there, even the 'silent majority' who have grandchildren, even great and great-great grandchildren who could be interested in LEGo. So do them a favour and get them some LEGO toys for Xmas. Buy the Daily Mail on Saturday and the Mail...
Views: 76   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 11, 2016 8:55pm
by Larry Southgate
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14