BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Sporting Chance
I well remember supporting Lancashire in the Rugby count championship. The matches were always pleasant, if hard fought - but always played in the best traditions of sporting rivalry. It was good when "we" won but there was no sense that "we" were. in any way diminis...
Views: 135   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 22, 2016 8:17pm
by Harry Dixon
I have learned:
ROM ONE FRIEND TO ANOTHER Take two minutes to read these sayings and be sure to read all the way to the bottom: Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... T...
Views: 83   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 17, 2016 11:09pm
by Larry Southgate
GRAND NATIONAL 2016
I do not normally open the entry list until the AGM (now just 3 weeks away) but today a cheque from Bill and Rose Mills 720 requested 2 horses. The Mills are unable to be with us this time unfortunately and they have previous winning form. 2016 is the 9th year I h...
Views: 123   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 14, 2016 10:20am
by Roy Boyles
Annual Reunion.
I must make my apologies here for not attending the Annual Reunion. I had intended to be there but two funerals during the week, one on Friday 11 March, in the afternoon, took my mind completely off the subject. Twas only this Sunday morn that I suddenly remember...
Views: 72   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 14, 2016 12:51am
by Larry Southgate
Too many letters. Lets ave inglish as she is spoke.
I ave decided 2 join the ranks of todays youth and rite inglish using fuer leters in de words to save space and efort. It's gonna be dificult geting usd 2 but y wury, it mite cach on. Gonna maik the old gray mater werk overtime.
Views: 143   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 7, 2016 4:43pm
by Harry Dixon
Duck quacks don't echo.
I know the weather has been great just lately and you've all been out in your gardens with BBQs, but somebody please say something. Quack quack.
Views: 87   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 4, 2016 10:45pm
by Larry Southgate
A Strange Tale (Pt 2)
I'm greatly indebted to Marijan Basic who has travelled hundreds of miles to research investigations into the fates of two people who fell foul of the UDBa (Yugoslav Secret Police). It's a long and convoluted tale and Marijan has sent me his transcript which is itsel...
Views: 82   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 1, 2016 2:58pm
by Harry Dixon
trying to make conatct
Hello my husband took a phone message for me this afternoon (Wed 24th Feb) but has not taken a name or a phone number for me to reply to. Is there any one out there who has been trying to reach me? Jacky Merrison NE EMMETT daughter of CSgt Arthur Emmett known as Gi...
Views: 90   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2016 7:12pm
by Harry Dixon
Window 10 - a retraction (well sort of)
i remember posting an account of an unfortunate encounter with this animal when, to mix some metaphors, it got up my nose and was a sheer pain in the arse. I didn't like the appearance after the cool clear blues of Windows 7. I couldn't find my bookmarks and, worst o...
Views: 131   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 23, 2016 10:18pm
by Larry Southgate
Looking for my grandfather
Hello to everyone. I'm writing here because it's a long time i'm trying to discovery something about my grandfather. Unfortnetely i have not a lot information, actually i have no one information about it. The only staff i have is the the of the born of my father a...
Views: 151   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 19, 2016 10:06am
by valentina
Trieste 1948
I was in Trieste May 1st 1948 to November 1949 and stayed in the san giovanni barracks. My duties were ration truck and telephone exchange.I have often wondered if there is any one still out there who remembers my mate Ted Mills? I hope he is still around. We playe...
Views: 373   Replies: 13
Last Post: Feb 19, 2016 8:38am
by Robert William K...
VALENTINES DAY
are you still in the market ? Giving or receiving ! I wonder if Dave in his weekly offering will give it a mention. Read all about in Google.
Views: 81   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 14, 2016 9:05am
by Roy Boyles
Influenza.
I',ve been following snippets of news on the Il Piccolo web-site over the past three months where they have been lamenting the poor take-up of the Influenza jab. This appeared tonite: Peak in Influenza: 2 million Italians in bed with influenza. Need I say mo...
Views: 87   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 13, 2016 10:45pm
by Larry Southgate
E-mails (Spartacus!)
Opened my letter box tonight and amongst the dozens of unwanted e-mails was this which read: Dont Let Age Slow You Down Your S.e.x Life -- try Spartagen Testosterone turbo..... And NO, I did'n't open it and yes, I deleted it!
Views: 71   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 13, 2016 10:41pm
by Larry Southgate
NEW!
Exclusively on.
Views: 78   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 13, 2016 10:30pm
by Larry Southgate
JOURNAL 52
now hitting doormats everywhere, assuming you are on the revised members list !
Views: 81   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 12, 2016 11:25pm
by Larry Southgate
FOIBE
I've just been reading Roland's account of his visit to Trieste with Gordon Bishop, Bill Lowe and David Green in our most recent journal. (Well done again Geoff) Roland mentions a visit to Basovizza and the San Sabba Museum and, by coincidence, this picture appear...
Views: 102   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 12, 2016 10:54pm
by Larry Southgate
walter cini
I am writing a memoir about my father walter t. cini who was with cic in Trieste and was wondering if any of you knew him and could fill me in on what his mission was.
Views: 62   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 12, 2016 3:02pm
by carol cini
THE 2016 REUNION & AGM LICHFIELD 11-13 March 2016
The first confirmation was received today. Journal 50 is almost certainly with you by now and it has all the details you need to know. I just wish more of the membership had email addresses but my number is on page 2.
Views: 217   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 2, 2016 1:20pm
by Roy Boyles
The ex-BMH in Trieste.
I wrote something a short while ago about the BMH in Trieste having been converted into a Student Hostel. A small piece in the Piccolo web-site today says: "The 'Deluxe Model of the Students House" Large rooms, free telephone connections, basket-ball court and a...
Views: 146   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 1, 2016 10:09pm
by Harry Dixon
Iran and Sanctions.
A little para on the Piccolo web-site today. The President of Iran is on an official visit to Rome. The Italian State has ordered the covering up of all Nude statues!!!*** What more can WE do to make him feel ""welcome""??????****? should he come to Britain? P...
Views: 77   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 31, 2016 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
Smog! In January? In Trieste ??
A little para from the Piccolo web-site today. Stop to the Traffic in Trieste city Centre. The Council has issued an order banning all traffic from the City Centre from Friday 29 January from 1500 hours until 2000 hours. The ban will have force until Tuesday ne...
Views: 59   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 28, 2016 10:52pm
by Larry Southgate
Art or artifice?
I've just come across a posting with the title "The Rape of Nanking". which contained a link to a website. It may have been of compelling interest to our members - but perhaps not. In any case, I've deleted it. I don't open any link which comes from a source I do...
Views: 118   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 27, 2016 1:54pm
by Harry Dixon
Retiring?
For all you young folks out there thinking of retiring, I'm copying below an advert which keeps popping up on my Yahoo e-mail page: WHEN CAN YOU RETIRE? If you have a £250,000 portfolio download the guide for retirees written by FORBES c columnist and money...
Views: 89   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 22, 2016 10:43pm
by Larry Southgate
DEFENCE DISCOUNT SERVICE
Does anyone have any dealings with this organisation ? It is approved by the MOD. I have been put on to it by a young ex navy lady (don't ask)
Views: 102   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 22, 2016 10:23pm
by Larry Southgate
Holidays.
It's been a few years since we (my son and I) visited the island of Skiathos in the Aegean. I decided we ought to go back before I get too old so had a look on line. I also thought we should, if we could afford it, book into a lovely small hotel we know from past...
Views: 76   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 19, 2016 9:56pm
by Larry Southgate
You have to smile.
Copy and paste this to see a scene that should make you smile: http://video.gelocal.it/ilpiccolo/locale/trieste-alta-marea-e-il-cagnolino-impazzisce-di-gioia/49689/49792?ref=hfpitsec-24
Views: 86   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 17, 2016 11:41am
by Harry Dixon
Where is this ?
This photo appears in today's Il Piccolo. It shows a number of people watching ....... what? ..... and where are they? Clue: it's a world-famous place.
Views: 151   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 15, 2016 11:40pm
by Larry Southgate
Daily Mail Rewards Club
I don't n ow if I am allowed by the rules of our Forum to do this but here goes anyway. The Moderator can always delete this posting. And I am not trying to boos the sales of the newspapers, rather show folks who may not be aware of this Club, of the advantages th...
Views: 58   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 14, 2016 9:08pm
by Larry Southgate
Views: 107   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2016 7:22pm
by Harry Dixon
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14