Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Aqua Alta
Venice is having a torrid time with ultra high tides causing flooding. The mayor has appealed to cruise firms and some have diverted to Trieste. Il Piccolo has this picture of two parked by the maritime Station on the Riva. Buses are parked nearby to ferry the...
Views: 56   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 17, 2019 3:05pm
by Harry Dixon
There's No Such Thing......
….. as climate change !!!! Il Piccolo carries pictures of Trieste and Venice under water.
Views: 55   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 13, 2019 7:45am
by Harry Dixon
Regional Meetings
Suffolk Group Meetings. Our next meeting will be the Christmas Lunch meeting on December 13th. at the Rushbrooke Arms pub at Sicklesmere, Bury St. Edmunds at 12 o!clock. Contact Charlie Dunnett. 01473 745693
Views: 38   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 10, 2019 2:23pm
by Charles Dunnett
LAST POST - 858 - Gordon Wingfield
Sadly I have to report that Gordon Wingfield has passed away. He was 91 years old and served in 65 Coy RASC ( Sgt.) 1949-51. Geoff printed a page of Gordon's photos in Journal 56. He was a late comer to the Association, joining in 2016 but regularly attended our Regi...
Views: 78   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2019 11:59am
by Colin Russell
Barcolana 2019
this week BT were showing an hours programme all about the TS 'big event' It is now reckoned to be the first or second largest regatta in the world and anyone can join in. Cannot be compared to the early 50's or indeed if it was then operating. The figure 51 was in t...
Views: 49   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 25, 2019 8:47am
by Roy Boyles
Southampton Group
The Southampton group have their lunch meeting on Thursday 24th October 12 o’clock at our normal location of Gusto Lounge, Commercial Road in Southampton. Any new visitors will be warmly welcomed as well as the regulars. It is a very informal meeting of vete...
Views: 74   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 27, 2019 11:22am
by Paula Pakeman
Thank you both
Thank you Roland and Harry,it was nice to hear from you both regarding the message board,I hope other members will take the hint.Perhaps at our age our little grey cells dont work like they used to and all things are more of an effort.I enjoyed coming to the meetings...
Views: 81   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2019 3:49pm
by peter saunders
"Pinafore"
"He polished up the handles of the big front door. He polished up the handles so skilfully The now he is the ruler of the Queen's navy." Gilbert and Sullivan satirised the follies of the Victorian age and we sometimes smirk in the certainty that it couldn't happ...
Views: 67   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2019 1:14pm
by Harry Dixon
Bloomsday in Trieste
Il Piccolo today has this photo and the paragraph which follows is a verbatim translation; you'll get the drift: In short, to go around at night for Trieste you risk making strange encounters... especially in this month of June, all dedicated to the celebratio...
Views: 72   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 26, 2019 6:31pm
by H Dixon
Ray Bannister
Good day to you all, I have recently obtained my father's Army Service records and found that he served with BETFOR from 15/09/1947 and 31/08/1950. He was in the regular army with the REME (Royal Warwickshire Regiment). I would be more than happy to hear if anyone h...
Views: 74   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 15, 2019 9:19am
by Bill Bannister
Sorry........
……..I'm not allowed say where this is: This mountain stream has only a short way to go before it flows into a sea loch. In many visits we've only once met another person - and that's how we like it.
Views: 64   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2019 6:22pm
by H Dixon
Montalbano is back
Just watched last night’s Montalbano. He is in Udine at the end and they are talking about Trieste station. Continuation next Saturday.
Views: 61   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2019 10:05pm
by Paula
WHY.......
…..oh why would anyone want to shoot one of these? Yet some tw..s in tweeds are willing to pay huge sums of money to do it.
Views: 57   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2019 2:54pm
by H Dixon
El Tram - running again but.......
...not for the public.Il Piccolo has this photo of a car waiting for the tram to pass; there is to be one each day but Joe public can't use it.
Views: 58   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2019 8:26am
by H Dixon
Southampton Group Lunch
Just a reminder that the Southampton group will be meeting on Thursday 30 May starting by 12 at Gusto in Commercial Road. Anyone is welcome to join this lovely group to share memories, chat about experiences or just enjoy each other’s company over an Italian ba...
Views: 101   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2019 7:09am
by Paula
Art Exhibition in Trieste
Il Piccolo had this on the website a few days ago. It's by Angelo Ingani, a 19th century artist. I doubt if the scene is a Trieste one but, when so much "art" these days looks like nothing you've ever seen, I think it's excellent.
Last Post: May 22, 2019 1:29pm
by Harry Dixon
TEATRO ROMANO
On Trieste's tourist trail, tucked in off the Corso, is the Roman theatre. Il Piccolo has an item about the archeological digs which are going on there at present. The picture shows a group of students listening to one of the archeologists explaining what is goin...
Last Post: May 17, 2019 11:51am
by Harry Dixon
El Tram
In my inbox this morning and leading the field was Il Piccolo telling me that the tram had been u/s for a thousand days since this happened: Interesting - but hardly urgent.
Views: 67   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 14, 2019 7:36am
by Harry Dixon
Missed it......
We usually mark the end of the war in Europe on 7 May - but we missed it. These young ladies were rehearsing for a parade to be held to celebrate: No prizes for guessing where.
Views: 92   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 10, 2019 7:29am
by Harry Dixon
Villa Necker
Il Piccolo's website has a photo of Villa Necker. There is an article outlining the building's military history, mentioning Napoleon but not the building's role during the time of the FTT and AMG. I never had any occasion to go there but I think it was used as HQ for...
Views: 72   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2019 10:59am
by Harry Dixon
Al via i lavori di restauro del Museo ferroviario di Campo Marzio a Trieste
Work on retoring……...railway etc etc My email from Il Piccolo this morning began with this "news of the day". A group of railway enthusiasts have been working on this for some time. This is the station which used to serve as the Trieste termina...
Views: 75   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2019 12:32pm
by Harry Dixon
YOU TUBE & TS
I am interested to know if any of our band of readers ever view the delights of You Tube with its millions and millions of videos. Just mention TS in the search box and off you go. I have just viewed the funeral procession of Franz Ferdinand in July 1914 and the firs...
Views: 82   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 24, 2019 8:24am
by roy boyles
Trieste's Tourism is Booming
Il Piccolo reports that accommodation for tourists is "sold out". It is also to be the setting for two "Hollywood" films: one being filmed at Miramare is "The Hitman's Wife" the other, to be filmed in the Cavanna and Piazza Unita is to "star" Trieste, Cavana p...
Views: 79   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 21, 2019 1:21pm
by Harry Dixon
Last Post
This is a much belated notice of the sad passing of Jim McLeish. It's doubly sad because his passing has remained unknown to us since February 2017. I'm indebted to Gerald Cockroft for passing on the news. Jim, Gerald and I were in TSO together. Many of you will reme...
Last Post: Apr 13, 2019 12:49pm
by Harry Dixon
Foibe
The foibe were the deep pits in the limestone of the Carso which were the scene of vengeful punishments, when during the "40 days of terror" suspected pro-fascists and collaborators with the Germans were thrown alive down the shafts with hands and feet bound with...
Views: 82   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 12, 2019 1:43pm
by Harry Dixon
MIRA......MARE !!!!
Trieste “invasa” da studenti in gita, arrivi anche da Usa e Regno Unito That's the headline in Il Piccolo today; so British kids are subjected to being dragged round Mirablastedmare wedding cake non-castle and even allowed to see the plaque planted...
Last Post: Apr 5, 2019 12:47pm
by Harry Dixon
Maltempo again in Trieste
The scene in Piazza della Borsa today: It has been worse of course:
Views: 59   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 3, 2019 6:12pm
by Harry Dixon
Photograph formats
No - nor do I understand but it seems that Il Piccolo has gone over to a new format which allows "greater compression" but has meant that I haven't been able to show their photos of Trieste etc. Luckily I've managed to convert their "webp" to jpeg: So there yo...
Views: 52   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 2, 2019 3:34pm
by Harry Dixon
Spring Is Sprung at Barcola
This photo of people "swimming" at Barcola comes from Il Piccolo. It's notable for at least two reasons; they're all making a splash in concert and there are folks with cameras to record the scene - so, in spite of the advent of Spring, it's clearly still a bit parky...
Last Post: Mar 25, 2019 1:37pm
by Harry Dixon
SOUTHAMPTON GROUP MEETUP
Southampton group have a booking for lunch at Gusto in town centre starting at 11.30 this Thursday 24 May. We look forward to all who can make it to enjoy a light Italian lunch and talk about all things Trieste. Hope to see you there. Anyone with travel problem...
Views: 91   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2018 7:56am
by Paula
Even Friuli Venezia Gulia at the wedding!
ROYAL WEDDING Un gradese il re dei tovaglioli alle nozze di Harry e Meghan Si chiama Luigi Spotorno ed è il maestro scelto per l’atteso matrimonio reale. Ha inventato il nuovo modello con cui verranno piegate le salviette a corte A little notice fro...
Views: 84   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 18, 2018 9:13pm
by Larry Southgate
A double-decker library.
Another little snippet from the Il Piccolo website today. Bringing books to the people in a double-decker called Denis. An idea of Sara, a Triestina and Simone from Treviso, both librarians, to bring books to the people of Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia. To...
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2018 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
Taxi drivers in revolt.
A little note from Il Piccolo web-site today which appears to have skipped by our newspapers. BELGRADE: A great European metropolis, paralized for more than 8 hours. By the anger of a few hundred taxi-drivers. This was the scene yesterday in Belgrade where, fr...
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2018 10:10pm
by Larry Southgate
Anniversaries?????????
Strange that so far this year there has been hardly any mention as to what signification 8 May holds. Well, on the night of 7 May I was in a convalescent depot in Hasselt in Belgium. Finally, the war was over. We were given permission by the CO of the convalesc...
Views: 94   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2018 9:44pm
by Larry Southgate
Premium Bonds.
I never, until this evening, realised how very,very difficult it is nowadays to buy Premium Bonds. I had a windfall this month and as I have a few quid now in my bank, I thought I would buy some more Premium Bonds. I have a standing order with my bank to purchase...
Views: 100   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2018 8:31pm
by Larry Southgate
PHOTO: Escher's pictures were often mathematical puzzles.........
..... but this, in a current exhibition in the Netherlands, is an "Italian landscape". You don't have to like it - but it is very interesting.
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2018 3:04pm
by Harry Dixon
Bank Holiday weekend.
Seeing the weather forecast today, I note that they say we should have a 'fine' weekend with temperatures in the low 20s. That'll make a change from the normal because normally when it is a bank holiday weekend we generally get a downpour. Has to be seen to be be...
Last Post: May 1, 2018 9:15pm
by Larry Southgate
Il Piccolo Archived on the Web
There have been several items which seem to say that Il Piccolo's archives are to be made public on the web. I have tried to find a way in to see if there are items from the days of the FTT which can be seen - but so far I've been unsuccessful' I'd be very grateful i...
Views: 89   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 17, 2018 12:37pm
by Harry Dixon
2018 Grand National
Among the winners this year were BETFOR members, Les Bell, Geoffrey Jarman Bill Mills and Jim Greaves all of whom were at the Bedford reunion in March. Their respective Bank a/c's will be refreshed in the next day or two. Comiserations to several others whose nags...
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 15, 2018 10:51am
by roy boyles
Further grump[ness
Part 2 So well but now has devolved into an outfit which will sell it's members private information to anyone who can afford it.Furthermore the boss when invited to come and justify his actions by our Parliament,refuses and offers the services of two of his minions...
Views: 79   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 9, 2018 11:27am
by Roy Walter
Journal 61 Spring 2018
Well done Geoff for the latest journal bursting with interesting items. At double the size you had a big task this quarter. The photos from Bedford have come out really well, thanks. Very exciting to see the new member, Brian Collins, lives 5 minutes away from me....
Last Post: Apr 8, 2018 2:29pm
by Paula
"Maturity"
"Maturity" is a positive thing; we like mature cheese, mature wine and we look down on immaturity, which we equate with silliness and excessive frivolity but we see around us every day, the downsides of getting "older". We sometimes read of "elderly" drivers, and fin...
Views: 86   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 8, 2018 1:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Why not say goonite or cheers when leaving our site?
Harry, is there any way you can put up a method of shutting down our web-site after one has visited? I hate having to just abandon the site without shutting it down. Seems like not saying bye-bye to a friend when you leave them after a drink in the pub. Not tha...
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 6, 2018 8:57pm
by Larry Southgate
Let's take the mickey!
I hope to paste hereunder a copy of an e-mail I received in my mail-box tonight. I will hopefully translate the sentences. Here's you chance to take part in a Survey from Italy and maybe have some effect. What the hell, let's take the mickey out of 'em! son...
Views: 87   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 28, 2018 9:06pm
by Larry Southgate
25th March 1950.
I got married to a beautiful young lady in Trieste on 25 March 1950. It was also on a Sunday and more to the point it was Easter Sunday. And this is the first time 25 March has fallen on a Sunday since then. More to the point, it has just missed being also East...
Views: 80   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2018 8:34pm
by Larry Southgate
LAST POST
It is with great sadness that I need to report the death of William Shortland who served in Ops Section of Trieste Security Office in 1953 and 1954. Bill is pictured on the left of this photograph, taken in 1953. He was the youngest in the section; he and I were t...
Views: 131   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2018 12:40pm
by Harry Dixon
Previous post
The name Wainright is apparently wrong My hearing is poor but I know the first name is Gordonmso if you are there Gordon email me
Views: 94   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 20, 2017 10:59am
by Rpy Walter
Existing member?
If there is someone calledWainright out there please get in touch I had a garbled message on my answerphone whilst my laptop was out of action.I think it said he knew me but I did'nt know him.At the moment he's right.
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 19, 2017 12:58pm
by Rpy Walter
Regional Meeting
A very welcome email from Charlie Dunnet tells me that their meeting last week was very pleasant and that their next will be on Friday 2nd March 2018 at the Rushbrooke Arms Sicklesmere at 1130 hrs. Charlie's phone number is 01473 745693. I’m sure Charlie won...
Views: 107   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 18, 2017 1:04pm
by Harry Dixon
Un'espresso,signor?
A twitter on the Il Piccolo web-site tonight - "Discover Trieste". Trieste and coffee - the annual average consumption of coffee per head in Italy is 5.8 kg but in Trieste it is 10 kg. This and other anecdotes you may find in :- #Trieste Coffee Tour. discover-t...
Views: 76   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2017 10:03pm
by Larry Southgate
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Free Forum powered by Bravenet