Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Liverpool Comes to Trieste
Il Piccolo reports that a concert, with free admission, is to take place in Piazza Verdi. "Con TriesteLovesJazz i Beatles rivisitati dalla Green Orchestra TRIESTE. "Beatles Today", i Beatles rivisti con gli occhi di oggi. Stasera alle 21 in piazza Verdi con ingre...
Views: 18   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2018 10:28am
by Harry Dixon
Next Southampton Meeting
Our next meeting will be on Thursday 1st November at Gusto Bistro corner of Commercial Road and Cumberland Place, Southampton (by the traffic lights) 11.30hrs. We look forward to a chat over a pleasant lunch. contact Paula Pakeman 01202 426612
Views: 16   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 10, 2018 2:54pm
by Paula Pakeman
Holiday in TS.
From Friday this week I should be in Trieste. I'll give the place your regards, dear readers. Only staying for a week this time.
Views: 16   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2018 8:49pm
by Larry Southgate
Keyless cars danger.
A notice from the web-site of Il Piccolo of 13 June 2018. Le auto senza chiavi hanno un pericoloso inconveniente che ha già ucciso decine di persone. Keyless start-up cars have an inconvenient danger which has already killed 10s of persons. Vehicles equippe...
Views: 19   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 13, 2018 9:21pm
by Larry Southgate
Bargain hunt for antques.
Having today reached the end of 93 years, tomorrow I start on the 94th. Soon be qualified to take part in Bargain Hunt as an antique myself or maybe I should go in for the Antiques Roadshow instead.
Views: 25   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2018 10:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Bravenet
The arrangements for pblishing the message board have been "improved" so thatit is sometimes hard to keep things as we like them. The heading has disappeared and I'm just giving it time to breathe still it's sorted out. Sorry.
Views: 27   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2018 2:07pm
by Harry Dixon
Porto Piccolo, Sistiana
This is the so-called little square at the so-called little port ( the revamped little harbour at Sistiana) where tiny "houses" have been crammed in, Il Piccolo reports that a fixed "parking" (mooring) fee of 10 euros will be charged even if you only want to drop in...
Views: 28   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2018 1:20pm
by Harry Dixon
Micro-chip Identity cards.
One small but interesting entry on the Il Piccolo web-site today. Here's a copy. Migliaia di persone in Svezia con un chip sottopelle al posto della carta d'identità. Thousands of persons in Sweden with a chip under their skin in place of the identity...
Views: 26   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 29, 2018 8:38pm
by Larry Southgate
65 TYEARS AGO.... THE CORONATION
It was 65 years ago and I still remember the day. Not so much because of the Coronation; that seemed a far off affair and the most memorable thing about it was the announcement that Everest had been climbed – and we had the day off - and we had a mess party. A...
Last Post: May 27, 2018 6:24pm
by Harry Dixon
SOUTHAMPTON GROUP MEETUP
Southampton group have a booking for lunch at Gusto in town centre starting at 11.30 this Thursday 24 May. We look forward to all who can make it to enjoy a light Italian lunch and talk about all things Trieste. Hope to see you there. Anyone with travel problem...
Views: 30   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2018 7:56am
by Paula
Even Friuli Venezia Gulia at the wedding!
ROYAL WEDDING Un gradese il re dei tovaglioli alle nozze di Harry e Meghan Si chiama Luigi Spotorno ed è il maestro scelto per l’atteso matrimonio reale. Ha inventato il nuovo modello con cui verranno piegate le salviette a corte A little notice fro...
Views: 29   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 18, 2018 9:13pm
by Larry Southgate
A double-decker library.
Another little snippet from the Il Piccolo website today. Bringing books to the people in a double-decker called Denis. An idea of Sara, a Triestina and Simone from Treviso, both librarians, to bring books to the people of Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia. To...
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2018 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
Taxi drivers in revolt.
A little note from Il Piccolo web-site today which appears to have skipped by our newspapers. BELGRADE: A great European metropolis, paralized for more than 8 hours. By the anger of a few hundred taxi-drivers. This was the scene yesterday in Belgrade where, fr...
Views: 38   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2018 10:10pm
by Larry Southgate
Anniversaries?????????
Strange that so far this year there has been hardly any mention as to what signification 8 May holds. Well, on the night of 7 May I was in a convalescent depot in Hasselt in Belgium. Finally, the war was over. We were given permission by the CO of the convalesc...
Views: 39   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2018 9:44pm
by Larry Southgate
Premium Bonds.
I never, until this evening, realised how very,very difficult it is nowadays to buy Premium Bonds. I had a windfall this month and as I have a few quid now in my bank, I thought I would buy some more Premium Bonds. I have a standing order with my bank to purchase...
Views: 31   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2018 8:31pm
by Larry Southgate
PHOTO: Escher's pictures were often mathematical puzzles.........
..... but this, in a current exhibition in the Netherlands, is an "Italian landscape". You don't have to like it - but it is very interesting.
Views: 37   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2018 3:04pm
by Harry Dixon
Bank Holiday weekend.
Seeing the weather forecast today, I note that they say we should have a 'fine' weekend with temperatures in the low 20s. That'll make a change from the normal because normally when it is a bank holiday weekend we generally get a downpour. Has to be seen to be be...
Views: 27   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 1, 2018 9:15pm
by Larry Southgate
Il Piccolo Archived on the Web
There have been several items which seem to say that Il Piccolo's archives are to be made public on the web. I have tried to find a way in to see if there are items from the days of the FTT which can be seen - but so far I've been unsuccessful' I'd be very grateful i...
Views: 36   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 17, 2018 12:37pm
by Harry Dixon
2018 Grand National
Among the winners this year were BETFOR members, Les Bell, Geoffrey Jarman Bill Mills and Jim Greaves all of whom were at the Bedford reunion in March. Their respective Bank a/c's will be refreshed in the next day or two. Comiserations to several others whose nags...
Views: 38   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 15, 2018 10:51am
by roy boyles
Further grump[ness
Part 2 So well but now has devolved into an outfit which will sell it's members private information to anyone who can afford it.Furthermore the boss when invited to come and justify his actions by our Parliament,refuses and offers the services of two of his minions...
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 9, 2018 11:27am
by Roy Walter
Journal 61 Spring 2018
Well done Geoff for the latest journal bursting with interesting items. At double the size you had a big task this quarter. The photos from Bedford have come out really well, thanks. Very exciting to see the new member, Brian Collins, lives 5 minutes away from me....
Last Post: Apr 8, 2018 2:29pm
by Paula
"Maturity"
"Maturity" is a positive thing; we like mature cheese, mature wine and we look down on immaturity, which we equate with silliness and excessive frivolity but we see around us every day, the downsides of getting "older". We sometimes read of "elderly" drivers, and fin...
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 8, 2018 1:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Why not say goonite or cheers when leaving our site?
Harry, is there any way you can put up a method of shutting down our web-site after one has visited? I hate having to just abandon the site without shutting it down. Seems like not saying bye-bye to a friend when you leave them after a drink in the pub. Not tha...
Last Post: Apr 6, 2018 8:57pm
by Larry Southgate
Let's take the mickey!
I hope to paste hereunder a copy of an e-mail I received in my mail-box tonight. I will hopefully translate the sentences. Here's you chance to take part in a Survey from Italy and maybe have some effect. What the hell, let's take the mickey out of 'em! son...
Views: 31   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 28, 2018 9:06pm
by Larry Southgate
25th March 1950.
I got married to a beautiful young lady in Trieste on 25 March 1950. It was also on a Sunday and more to the point it was Easter Sunday. And this is the first time 25 March has fallen on a Sunday since then. More to the point, it has just missed being also East...
Views: 36   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2018 8:34pm
by Larry Southgate
LAST POST
It is with great sadness that I need to report the death of William Shortland who served in Ops Section of Trieste Security Office in 1953 and 1954. Bill is pictured on the left of this photograph, taken in 1953. He was the youngest in the section; he and I were t...
Views: 56   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2018 12:40pm
by Harry Dixon
NATIONAL SERVICE 2
It was clear to us in the sixth form at school that national service was going to affect us all. In 1947 85% of university places were reserved for returning ex-servicemen but it seemed sensible to try for a place. At University I shared digs with “Dusty”...
Views: 57   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 12, 2018 1:58pm
by Harry Dixon
Return of the happy wanderer.
And so we draw half of the curtain on the AGM of 2018. I arrived home safe and sound after o many twists and turns I almost told my chauffeur -my aon - to park the car and try and find a bus going somewhere near to our home. When are they going to fix the road n...
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2018 10:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Thanks to the committee .
Back home after attending the annual dinner last night and the AGM this morning. Thanks to the committee for their hard work during the year. It was great to put faces to names after three years membership. I will send the photos taken in Riobello restaurant to Ha...
Views: 46   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2018 7:38pm
by Paula
regional meeting
Owing to the extreme weather heading our way I have cancelled the meeting booked for Friday 2nd Mar. and re-booked for Friday 16th Mar. All known regular attendees have been contacted and agreed on the new date. Meeting at The Rushbrooke Arms,Sicklesmere,B...
Views: 35   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2018 9:26am
by Charlie Dunnett
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10