Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
That is the question.......
….and I think the answer is plain. The message "forum" is meant to be just that, a place where people meet to chat; Thank you Roy, Pauline and Roland who have been encouraging but the evidence is there; it has became almost a solo act.
Views: 5   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2019 1:07pm
by Harry Dixon
"Pinafore"
"He polished up the handles of the big front door. He polished up the handles so skilfully The now he is the ruler of the Queen's navy." Gilbert and Sullivan satirised the follies of the Victorian age and we sometimes smirk in the certainty that it couldn't happ...
Views: 30   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2019 1:14pm
by Harry Dixon
Bloomsday in Trieste
Il Piccolo today has this photo and the paragraph which follows is a verbatim translation; you'll get the drift: In short, to go around at night for Trieste you risk making strange encounters... especially in this month of June, all dedicated to the celebratio...
Last Post: Jun 26, 2019 6:31pm
by H Dixon
Ray Bannister
Good day to you all, I have recently obtained my father's Army Service records and found that he served with BETFOR from 15/09/1947 and 31/08/1950. He was in the regular army with the REME (Royal Warwickshire Regiment). I would be more than happy to hear if anyone h...
Views: 24   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 15, 2019 9:19am
by Bill Bannister
Sorry........
……..I'm not allowed say where this is: This mountain stream has only a short way to go before it flows into a sea loch. In many visits we've only once met another person - and that's how we like it.
Views: 25   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2019 6:22pm
by H Dixon
Montalbano is back
Just watched last night’s Montalbano. He is in Udine at the end and they are talking about Trieste station. Continuation next Saturday.
Views: 23   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2019 10:05pm
by Paula
WHY.......
…..oh why would anyone want to shoot one of these? Yet some tw..s in tweeds are willing to pay huge sums of money to do it.
Last Post: May 30, 2019 2:54pm
by H Dixon
El Tram - running again but.......
...not for the public.Il Piccolo has this photo of a car waiting for the tram to pass; there is to be one each day but Joe public can't use it.
Last Post: May 26, 2019 8:26am
by H Dixon
Southampton Group Lunch
Just a reminder that the Southampton group will be meeting on Thursday 30 May starting by 12 at Gusto in Commercial Road. Anyone is welcome to join this lovely group to share memories, chat about experiences or just enjoy each other’s company over an Italian ba...
Views: 31   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2019 7:09am
by Paula
Art Exhibition in Trieste
Il Piccolo had this on the website a few days ago. It's by Angelo Ingani, a 19th century artist. I doubt if the scene is a Trieste one but, when so much "art" these days looks like nothing you've ever seen, I think it's excellent.
Views: 22   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2019 1:29pm
by Harry Dixon
TEATRO ROMANO
On Trieste's tourist trail, tucked in off the Corso, is the Roman theatre. Il Piccolo has an item about the archeological digs which are going on there at present. The picture shows a group of students listening to one of the archeologists explaining what is goin...
Views: 21   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2019 11:51am
by Harry Dixon
El Tram
In my inbox this morning and leading the field was Il Piccolo telling me that the tram had been u/s for a thousand days since this happened: Interesting - but hardly urgent.
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 14, 2019 7:36am
by Harry Dixon
Missed it......
We usually mark the end of the war in Europe on 7 May - but we missed it. These young ladies were rehearsing for a parade to be held to celebrate: No prizes for guessing where.
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 10, 2019 7:29am
by Harry Dixon
Villa Necker
Il Piccolo's website has a photo of Villa Necker. There is an article outlining the building's military history, mentioning Napoleon but not the building's role during the time of the FTT and AMG. I never had any occasion to go there but I think it was used as HQ for...
Views: 35   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2019 10:59am
by Harry Dixon
Al via i lavori di restauro del Museo ferroviario di Campo Marzio a Trieste
Work on retoring……...railway etc etc My email from Il Piccolo this morning began with this "news of the day". A group of railway enthusiasts have been working on this for some time. This is the station which used to serve as the Trieste termina...
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2019 12:32pm
by Harry Dixon
YOU TUBE & TS
I am interested to know if any of our band of readers ever view the delights of You Tube with its millions and millions of videos. Just mention TS in the search box and off you go. I have just viewed the funeral procession of Franz Ferdinand in July 1914 and the firs...
Views: 41   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 24, 2019 8:24am
by roy boyles
Trieste's Tourism is Booming
Il Piccolo reports that accommodation for tourists is "sold out". It is also to be the setting for two "Hollywood" films: one being filmed at Miramare is "The Hitman's Wife" the other, to be filmed in the Cavanna and Piazza Unita is to "star" Trieste, Cavana p...
Views: 36   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 21, 2019 1:21pm
by Harry Dixon
Last Post
This is a much belated notice of the sad passing of Jim McLeish. It's doubly sad because his passing has remained unknown to us since February 2017. I'm indebted to Gerald Cockroft for passing on the news. Jim, Gerald and I were in TSO together. Many of you will reme...
Last Post: Apr 13, 2019 12:49pm
by Harry Dixon
Foibe
The foibe were the deep pits in the limestone of the Carso which were the scene of vengeful punishments, when during the "40 days of terror" suspected pro-fascists and collaborators with the Germans were thrown alive down the shafts with hands and feet bound with...
Views: 44   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 12, 2019 1:43pm
by Harry Dixon
MIRA......MARE !!!!
Trieste “invasa” da studenti in gita, arrivi anche da Usa e Regno Unito That's the headline in Il Piccolo today; so British kids are subjected to being dragged round Mirablastedmare wedding cake non-castle and even allowed to see the plaque planted...
Last Post: Apr 5, 2019 12:47pm
by Harry Dixon
Maltempo again in Trieste
The scene in Piazza della Borsa today: It has been worse of course:
Last Post: Apr 3, 2019 6:12pm
by Harry Dixon
Photograph formats
No - nor do I understand but it seems that Il Piccolo has gone over to a new format which allows "greater compression" but has meant that I haven't been able to show their photos of Trieste etc. Luckily I've managed to convert their "webp" to jpeg: So there yo...
Last Post: Apr 2, 2019 3:34pm
by Harry Dixon
Spring Is Sprung at Barcola
This photo of people "swimming" at Barcola comes from Il Piccolo. It's notable for at least two reasons; they're all making a splash in concert and there are folks with cameras to record the scene - so, in spite of the advent of Spring, it's clearly still a bit parky...
Views: 32   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2019 1:37pm
by Harry Dixon
AGM weekend
Just wishing you all a lovely weekend for the committee meeting and AGM. Sorry I cannot be with you but remembering the weekend in Bedford last year and all the faces I put to names!
Views: 34   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 16, 2019 9:37am
by Paula
What do you think of that ? !!!!!!
Astounding news from Il Piccolo that the public lavatory charges in Ragusa (their name for Dubrovnic) are..... I didn't have patience to read further but it seems that the journos at Il Piccolo have the same sense of what is newsworthy as some of ours eg the p...
Last Post: Mar 8, 2019 2:48pm
by Harry Dixon
Larry
Sorry to learn about Larry.I didnt know him well but I wish I did. Regards to his daughter. Roy Walter
Last Post: Feb 19, 2019 3:09pm
by Roy Walter
Rage, wrath, ire, annoyance, irritation....or indifference. Is it newsworthy?
There are journalists who ply their trade by affirming their determination to stand bravely up to the "trolls" who attack them on twitter or Instagram. I have to admit I can't follow their courageous example because I don't do social media. Twitter would be useful be...
Views: 56   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 3, 2019 1:52pm
by Harry Dixon
Strange............
Strange that only yesterday I said Il Piccolo reported a lot of road accidents and today they have an item about Ireland - still not a fascinating fact about Trieste I know - but still interesting. There's a picture of an Irish scene: and then a photo of th...
Views: 67   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2019 12:43pm
by Harry Dixon
TRIESTE . The Spectator visit.
A 2 page article in this weeks edition mentions the UK/US 'occupation' 45 to 54.
Views: 72   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2019 10:47am
by roy boyles
Happy new year to everyone. Look forward to the posts of 2019.
Views: 45   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 31, 2018 10:48pm
by Paula
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10