Start a New Topic 
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Next Local Meeting
My next local meeting will be at our new venue, Gusto Bistro, corner of Commercial Road and Cumberland Place, Southampton 12.00hrs Thursday 7th April 2016
Views: 122   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2016 4:23pm
by John Barron
James Bridges MBE
It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my beloved Father Captain (Retired) James (Jim) Bridges, MBE on 31st December, 2015 after a long illness. Dad served with the North Stafford's in Trieste in 1951-1953. The funeral will take place in Burton On...
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 3, 2016 4:51pm
by Lorraine Swann (...
Headache in the Viala XX Settembre
If you'd been walking down th Viale on Monday evening, one of these large lumps of concrete might have taken the shine off the jaunt. Il Piccolo has a number of photos one of which shows that the building isn't of real stone - it's just cladding:
Views: 80   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 17, 2015 4:38pm
by Harry Dixon
Recent Local Meeting
Our new venue, Gusto in Commercial Road, was a great success, food and service excellent; six members attended. I have provisionally booked our next meeting for 7th April at Gusto. However one member suggested that perhaps to increase our numbers we could amalgamate...
Views: 124   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 14, 2015 2:16pm
by John Barron
D'you remember the smog?
Well, if you do, spare a little sympathy for Northern Italy. Milan Council has just issued a order blocking the use of private transport. Only buses allowed to operate and school children go free on buses to and from schools. Torino has done almost the same and...
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 9, 2015 9:32pm
by Larry Southgate
Have a chuckle on me.
Fwd: Never question a Drunk Sue Southgate Today at 10:40 AM To Alex Willis Tash tonyholt33@icloud.com Kevin And Sue Sue Borg and 7 more... Message body My kind of humour - love it / Nicky WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER, EVER, QU...
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 5, 2015 9:38pm
by Larry Southgate
Singing in ..........
the army. We weren't great singers but i remember the best sing-song we had; it was the time there was a Royal Navy cruiser in the bay and we held a mess party for them. It was obvious that they were far more used to devising their own entertainment than we were...
Views: 107   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 19, 2015 2:08pm
by Harry Dixon
Elusive discount
Toying recently with the notion of a cruise in the med next year,I was reminded that there was a post a while ago regarding discounts for ex-servicemen who were idiot enough to consider such a voyage.Having wasted ages unsuccessfully searching for this item, I am red...
Views: 142   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 13, 2015 2:59pm
by Roy Walter
Letter to a Bank Manager.
Elderly Banking... ..............PRICELESS!! Shown below, is an actual letter that was sent to a bank by an 82-year-old woman. The bank manager thought it amusing enough to have it published in the New York Times. Dear Sir: I am writing to thank you...
Views: 141   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 9, 2015 10:19pm
by Larry Southgate
TIME!
I don't know about you others out there but it seems to me that since we put the clocks back one hour, time seems to have slowed down! I keep looking at the clocks I have scattered all round the house and the hands don't seem to have moved as fast as they used to....
Views: 95   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 6, 2015 10:02pm
by Larry Southgate
Ratlines and the work of TSO
When I joined TSO in February 1952, part of the introduction was a brief overview of the work of the "office" and I learned, for the first time, that not all of Yugoslavia had been anti-Fascist and anti-Nazi. Croatia had largely been fro-Nazi and many of the populati...
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 16, 2015 7:20pm
by Harry Dixon
"Incastrato in San Dorligo......"
Not as painful as it sounds for the driver but the lorry was badly damage when it became wedged in this narrow alley way in San Dorligo. The Polish driver was no doubt following the instructions on his satnav. "Un tir polacco si è incastrato stanotte, a m...
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 14, 2015 2:23pm
by Harry Dixon
Who wants to get high?
Don't say I never bring you interesting news from the Il Piccolo web-site. There is a rolling type of headline news at the top right-hand side of the page with little snippets of info from Europe, the USA and the world. One little piece caught my eye tonight. I...
Views: 84   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 1, 2015 10:01pm
by Larry Southgate
Hooker again ???
They haven't said what position they want me to play - yet.
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 29, 2015 7:11pm
by Harry Dixon
CHANGE OF VENUE. SOUTHAMPTON
Johb Barron has emailed to say that the venue for the next meeting in Southampton will be on Thursday December 10th at the Gusto Bistro at the top of Commercial Road, on the cornet of Commercial Place. See the map below:
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 21, 2015 4:36pm
by Harry Dixon
Winter suntan, anyone?
If anyone is going to Dubai to get some winter suntan, here are a few words or phrases that may come in handy. Remember the letter 'a' is pronounced hard as in 'ah' and the letter 'e' is like the e in 'bed' whilst the ch is that strange guttural sound. When meetin...
Views: 83   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 16, 2015 10:21pm
by Larry Southgate
Just thinking out loud.
Memories were really stirred by the TV Programme about the Fly Past in honour of the Battle of Britain in 1940. I bet Fred had the time of his life photographing around the Duxford area. We'll have to wait and see if he was well enough to get out with his camera....
Views: 91   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2015 11:29pm
by Larry Southgate
Larry in Beegden
Larry was invited to go to Beegden last year as part of the celebrations to mark the end of the war. Here he is standing on the same spot, in front of the farm-house, where he stood 70 years before in November 1944. He has been invited also to San Marino and w...
Views: 87   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 14, 2015 5:00pm
by Harry Dixon
Virus warning.
I have received an e-mail from Liliana in Trieste saying she has received an e-mail from: "T Southgate" which apparently asks her to "click on a link which leads to something to do with Dental Care". Anyone who has had an e-mail from me in the last week is urg...
Views: 88   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2015 10:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Late Report on Recent Suffolk Gatherings
At our recent meet up,we had the usual turn out,it was good to see our Mate Gordon make it again. Sadly the Cooks were absent,so no comment on their cooking expliots at Rossetti,i can still remember the Ladel of Pom,hitting the Mess TIN. A thought i wanted some Wa...
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 4, 2015 10:22pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
John Barron's local gathering.......
John has sent me the following photos{
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2015 1:42pm
by Harry Dixon
Heart Attacks.
This sounds like good advice, and easy to do. IF! you can remember at the time of a potential heart attack . Here's something they didn't teach us in nurse's training. Read this for info: Dear ALL, 1 Let's say it's 7.25pm and you're going h...
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 9:56pm
by Larry Southgate
Boat trip Trieste - Sistiana.
I believe I informed you all about the new boat service which has been started by the Green Delfino company to run from the Maritime Station to Sistiana. I took a couple of trips as a means of getting some fresh cool air during the time I was on holiday in the city...
Views: 92   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 3, 2015 11:34pm
by Larry Southgate
A beautiful poem.
WALK WITH ME WHILE I AGE. I hope this poem as the same effect on you as it did on me.............. then my forwarding it will have been worth the effort. Walk with my by the water....................worth the read. A BEAUTIFUL POEM ABOUT GROWING OLDER....
Views: 93   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 28, 2015 10:20pm
by Larry Southgate
Six Jokes.
BIRTH CONTROL FOR GRANDMA The doctor that had been seeing an 80-year-old woman for most of her life finally retired. At her next checkup, the new Doctor told her to bring a list of all the medicines that had been prescribed for her. As the young doctor was...
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 25, 2015 8:45pm
by Larry Southgate
Can anybody help??
What follows is an extract from an e-mail sent to David Griggs. Anybody out there able to put a light on this problem? I am not IT capable enough of posting the photos here. Maybe if I forwarded them to Harry he could do so??? Quote; My wife and I just note...
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 24, 2015 11:30pm
by Larry Southgate
Another 'Old Comrade' discovered.
On my recent holiday in Trieste, one morning, outside our favourite Ice-cream parlour, Di Martino, I met a gentleman in a wheelchair. Told me his name is John Dearlove. Ex-Royal Engineers, of San Giovanni. He was there early on during the FTT, Then got posted t...
Views: 130   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 24, 2015 10:39pm
by Larry Southgate
Soufflé Omelettes
I can't seem to find the original page with mentions of soufflé omelettes and how well Maria made them - but if anyone would like to share the secret of her method I would be grateful! I have evolved a system of my own but it is no great dish so any help would b...
Views: 102   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 23, 2015 11:33am
by Dave 796 RAF
The 50th BETFOR Journal
1would like to congratulate my ole Suffick Boh, on his producing the 50th edition of our Journal.Going through the contents brought back so many memories. On Page one we have the lovely girl Maria,yes Geoff she was a good Omlette Maker,and was a well fancied by eve...
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 15, 2015 10:38pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
What would you do chums?
“It’s Monday night at eight o’clock. Oh can’t you hear the chimes? They’re telling you to take an easy chair And settle by your fireside, look at your Radio Times For Monday Night at Eight is on the air!” Why do some (usele...
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2015 1:10pm
by Harry Dixon
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13