Start a New Topic 
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
LAST POST
Fred Greenwood has emailed with the sad news, received from Nobby Gane, that Derek Neville (590) passed away in February. Derek served with the Northants Regiment in Trieste. Our condolences go to Derek's wife, family and friends
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2015 1:35pm
by Harry Dixon
Park San Giusto.
Somewhere on these pages there is quite a lot about the creation of the Park of San Giusto, with lots of tunnels going up from by the old Roman Forum and under the building which was AMG HQ. All this work was due to be finished and the official opening was to take...
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 3, 2015 10:40pm
by Larry Southgate
A town called EUREKA
Channel 153 Pick+1. If you have not yet tuned in to this programme you are missing one of the best scifi comedy/dramas ever. It's on at the moment on my TV. Unmissable. And the technical gobbledegook has to be seen (sub-titles on)and heard) is the best I've e...
Views: 84   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2015 9:12pm
by Larry Southgate
Language assistance.
Anybody thinking of going to Mecca for the Hadj? Here's a couple of phrases to help. When being introduced to an Arab the correct greeting is not "How do you do" but-----"Salaam alaykum".(means, I believe - God be with you) At the end of a meeting and on leavin...
Views: 130   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2015 9:24pm
by Larry Southgate
R.I.P.Marcello Grimalda
I know not if any of you have ever received an e-mail from desert.rat Marcello in America, but I am very sorry to have to inform you that I have received tonight an e-mail from his daughter Margaret Powell to the effect that unfortunately Marcello departed this world...
Views: 104   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 17, 2015 10:20pm
by Larry Southgate
The late Gyles Longley, CBE, MC
I have noticed in today's press the obituary of Gyles Longley. He had a distinguished war service with the Reconnaissance Regiment and fought from in North Africa and throughout Italy where he won the MC. He entered Trieste in May 1945 as CO of 44th Reconnaissa...
Views: 98   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 16, 2015 11:18am
by GEOFF FLEET 262
How old is FVG?
A small notice on the Il Piccolo web-site caught my eye tonight. The headline reads: In FVG (Friuli-Venezia Giulia) the population is showing at ZERO increase -- and in Italy as a whole it is no better. Data released by the Italian Statistical Institute relative...
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 15, 2015 11:24pm
by Larry Southgate
Pietra miglia (Milestones).
Did you know that driving along some of the minor roads in Italy you quite often can see, at the side of the road, a 'pietra miglia' or as we call them, 'milestones'. This is notable especially alongside the road from Florence to Pisa. But I have just passed my o...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 15, 2015 11:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Thomas JP Burke
My father past away in 1999 and ive been going through his service book, he served with the Lancashire Fusiliers in Trieste 6/53 to 1/54 and also 7/54 to 11/54 I was just wondering if any member would remember him and could pass on any information they may have, it w...
Views: 144   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 12, 2015 2:22pm
by shaun burke
Wild Life
Black birds usually nest in the pyracantha right by the back door - and it's handy for them because we put out the crumbled crusts from the cherry pies that we get from the farm shop. As usual, it's been the daddy blackbird who has been feeding the little one, a fema...
Views: 118   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 9, 2015 7:47pm
by Harry Dixon
Education, education, education.
Great English Language History Lesson Colloquialisms There is an old Hotel/Pub in Marble Arch, London which used to have gallows adjacent. Prisoners were taken to the gallows (after a fair trial, of course) to be hung. The horse drawn “...
Views: 89   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 8, 2015 9:32pm
by Larry Southgate
Takes an old'un!
ACK PEW A pastor's wife was expecting a baby, so he stood before the congregation and asked for a raise. After much discussion, they passed a rule that whenever the pastor's family expanded; so would his pay-check. After 6 children, this started to get expens...
Views: 68   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2015 10:15pm
by Larry Southgate
Two snippets from the |Il Piccolo web-site page of today Sunday.
Danger on the buses in Istria. In Istria, a 45 year old boy, returning home from school in Carnizza to Castelnuovo d'Arsa, has been bitten by a viper. He was conveyed urgently to hospital in Pola. Anyone who frequents Youtube can find this video taken by Gianc...
Views: 71   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 31, 2015 10:31pm
by Larry Southgate
The stiff Upper lip!
In a train from London to Manchester, an American was berating the Englishman sitting across from him in the compartment. “The trouble with you English is that you are too stuffy. You set yourselves apart too much. You think your stiff upper lip make...
Views: 65   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2015 10:10pm
by Larry Southgate
You? as well?
ARE WE THE ONES WITH DEMENTIA? ARE WE THE ONES WHO ARE AGING? ONE Recently, I went to McDonald's and I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets. I asked for a half dozen nuggets. 'We don't have half dozen...
Views: 75   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 25, 2015 9:53pm
by Larry Southgate
Takes to to tango
DIVORCE VS. MURDER A nice, calm and respectable lady went into the pharmacy, walked up to the pharmacist, looked straight into his eyes, and said, ‘I would like to buy some cyanide. ' The pharmacist asked, 'Why in the world do you need cyan...
Views: 85   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 25, 2015 9:42pm
by Larry Southgate
Footprints.
Footprints: oooO ( ) Oooo ( ( ) __) ) / (__/ Many people will walk in and out of your life but only a true friend will leave footprints on your computer! Forward this...
Views: 80   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 23, 2015 9:50pm
by Larry Southgate
That's life!
On the first day, God created the dog and said, "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of 20 years." The dog said, "That's a long time to be barking. How about only 10 years and I...
Views: 114   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 19, 2015 11:01pm
by Larry Southgate
Just for the over 50's.
Most of our generation of 50+ was HOME SCHOOLED in many ways. 1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE . "If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning." 2. My mother taught me RELIGION. "You better p...
Views: 90   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2015 11:25pm
by Larry Southgate
6 Little stories.
6 LITTLE STORIES . Once, all villagers decided to pray for rain. On the day of prayer all the people gathered but only one boy came with an umbrella. ?? That's FAITH When you throw a baby in...
Views: 75   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2015 11:08pm
by Larry Southgate
Exercise for long life.
The Importance of Walking Walking can add minutes to your life. This enables you at 85 years old To spend an additional 5 months in a nursing Home at £7000 per month. My grandpa started walking Five miles a day when he was 60. Now he's 97 years...
Views: 71   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2015 11:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Local Meeting
Our last meeting was very good, with 12 people in attendance, very good considering it was such a wet day. Terry and Irene Crimp came all the way from Brighton, Terry kindly brought the two plaques presented to the Association last year. Photos were taken by Terr...
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2015 5:31pm
by John Barron
50 reasons to read this.
This is something we should all read at least once a week!!!!! Make sure you read to the end!!!!!! Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio ... "To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is...
Views: 93   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2015 10:12pm
by Larry Southgate
People and things.
When things happen, these days we look for a cause; if crops fail, farmers try to work out what caused it. Was it the weather, lack of fertiliser - or what? Years ago they would have burned a few old ladies living in the village, especially if they owned a cat. It...
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2015 4:12pm
by Harry Dixon
Sci-fi.
Over the past couple of weeks before I went into hospital, pushing buttons on my remote, I came across a programme called ... "A town called Eureka". It is so bad that it makes you watch the next episode. If you have not seen it yet, look for it on Sky. I don'...
Views: 84   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2015 10:03pm
by Larry Southgate
Happy, happy happy times??
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY…….. How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered? Once you're in heaven, do you get stuck wearing the clothes you were buried in for eternity? Why does a...
Views: 76   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 10, 2015 9:51pm
by Larry Southgate
So what?
GOOD LUCK! this is the only time you will see this phenomenon in your life! August, in 2015, will have 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays. This happens only once every 823 years. The Chinese call it ' Silver pockets full'. So, send this...
Views: 97   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2015 10:16pm
by Larry Southgate
Bird's Eye View of TRIESTE
Il Piccolo today has a video taken from a drone showing Trieste scenes. Copy and paste: http://video.gelocal.it/ilpiccolo/locale/trieste-vista-dal-drone-video-per-i-lettori-del-piccolo/41038/41144 While you have Il Piccolo on your screen, look for the photos of...
Views: 119   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2015 2:37pm
by Harry Dixon
Afraid of flying?
An air-traffic control tower suddenly lost communication with a small twin engine aircraft. A moment later the tower land line rang and was answered by one of the employees. The passenger riding with the pilot who lost communications was on a cellular phone and...
Views: 68   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 25, 2015 4:28pm
by Larry Southgate
Visit to Trieste in September.
Good morning all.If you are interested in a visit to Trieste we have four members so far.Should any one else wish to go please phone me. Regards Roland.
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 19, 2015 10:33am
by Roland
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14