Start a New Topic 
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Sounds a lot like the UK!
You should know that by today's standards none of us were ever supposed to make it. HIGH SCHOOL 1957 vs. 2010 Scenario 1: Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his...
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2014 10:12pm
by Larry Southgate
Be a computer wizard!
As we Silver Surfers know, sometimes we have trouble with our computers. I had a problem yesterday, so I called Eric, the 11 year old next door, whose bedroom looks like Mission Control, and asked him to come over. Eric clicked a couple of buttons and solved the...
Views: 118   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 17, 2014 10:11pm
by Larry Southgate
All above board.....
All above board Decisions about where the World Cup should be placed are made entirely with the best interests of the "beautiful game" at heart. During the competition, all the best traditions of fairness and sportsmanship are observed; all officials are completely...
Views: 133   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 13, 2014 10:01am
by Harry Dixon
Driving Hazards in EU.
Going on holiday to France this year? This happened to an Englishman in France who was totally drunk. The French policeman stops his car and asks the gentleman if he has been drinking. With great difficulty, the Englishman admits t...
Views: 141   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 10, 2014 10:09pm
by Larry Southgate
Behind Enemy Lines.
Major Tom Carew was OC of TSO in 1952 and 1953. During the war he was a member of SOE and was parachuted twice into Burma, behind enemy lines, then later, into Europe. Tom Carew parachuted into France on the night of August 26, 1944, as a member of the Special Op...
Views: 169   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 9, 2014 4:34pm
by Harry Dixon
Visit to TRIESTE - June 2014
In my new role of Chairman, let me bring you up to date with the arrangements for the 60th Anniversary trip to the old BETFOR parade grounds. It was my intention to lead the group. but ill health has caused me to withdraw from the delegation. I am grateful to ou...
Views: 151   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2014 3:24pm
by Geoff Fleet 262
A View of the Fifties
John Australia has sent me a link to this video. It shows images which remind us of some of the nastier aspects as well as a fair amount of nostalgia.
Views: 143   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2014 7:07pm
by Harry Dixon
Trevor Lewis Jones, ACC and RASC 1951 - 1953
I have received a note from John Barron to say that their group was joined recently by Simon Jones whose father, Trevor Lewis Jones, served with BETFOR from 1951 to 1953, first with the Catering Corps and then with the RASC where he was a driver. Simon is to join the...
Views: 144   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2014 2:01pm
by Harry Dixon
Date of next two meetings
The dates of our next meetings are Thursday 11th September and Thursday 11th December 12.00 at the usual venue, The Encore PH Commercial Road, Southampton. All welcome. Contact me on 01794 514686 or e-mail. A big thank you to all the people who attended the mee...
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 9, 2014 4:35pm
by John Barron
A Strange Tale
Last December I received an email from Marijan Basic who lives in Finland but whose family came from a small village in the South of the Istrian peninsula. Like many people who were not communist sympathisers, they were forced to flee from Istria. Many fled during th...
Views: 212   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 26, 2014 6:43pm
by Harry Dixon
Barry Buxton
You will see from the Last Post that one of our longest serving members, Barry Buxton, died last Sunday. I have sent his widow, Jeanne, a card from the Association. I have no doubt some members will wish to attend his funeral when details are known
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 24, 2014 11:30am
by Geoff Fleet 262
OS.........
The Ordnance Survey…as you’d expect from the name,they started making maps to make it easier for the army – in fact to subdue the Scots. Almost all of the work of the Royal Artillery depends on accurate mapping – or at least it used to do....
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 20, 2014 1:44pm
by Harry Dixon
Your next trip to Trieste: Meeting with City Mayor Roberto Cosolini
Dear All, I am very pleased to inform you that the Mayor of Trieste will be meeting you on June 12th at 12 o'clock. His staff has been very helpful and I am happy that everything has worked out the way I hoped:-) See you soon, Elisabetta
Views: 133   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2014 1:01pm
by Elisabetta Bened...
Her Majesty’s Veterans Re-united in the Name of Trieste
That’s the headline to the article about our association which appeared in Trieste’s local newspaper, Il Piccolo. I thought I should give you a more ample summary of the main points. The journalist is Nicolo Girardi, who rang Roy Boyles, our Secretary...
Views: 180   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 31, 2014 3:31pm
by Harry Dixon
It takes all kinds.
It was during the cold war. It was the last day of the Russian Spy Training Course. Addressing his pupils prior to their first mission in England, their teacher wound up by saying “ And finally, if all else fails whilst you are on your mission in Engla...
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 26, 2014 10:01pm
by Larry Southgate
Darwin Awards
Yes, it's that magical time of year again when the Darwin Awards are bestowed, honoring the least evolved among us. *Here is the glorious winner* *1. When his .38 caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach, Califor...
Views: 154   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 21, 2014 3:49pm
by John Barron
Calling all choirboys
"Bless me father for I have been with a loose girl" The priest asks,"Is that you little Joey Pogano?" "Yes father,it is" And who was the girl you were with?" "I cannot tell you father, I don't want to ruin her reputation" "Well Joey, I'm going to find out sooner...
Views: 95   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 18, 2014 11:54am
by Roy Walter
LAST POST
The Rose and the Laurel the magazine of the Intellince Corps Comrades Association carries an obituary for John Barnett. John was awarded the Coronation Medal in 1953 by Tom Carew, OC of TSO in gesture typical of Tom Carew - because he was the youngest member of the u...
Views: 160   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 16, 2014 11:40am
by Harry Dixon
TRIESTE billets etc
Our friend, Lorenzo Eleni, who is research material for a PhD degree with Trieste University on the subject of BETFOR's impact on the city and area during the time of the FTT, has been working at the National Archives at Kew and has sent some of his findings to Larry...
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 15, 2014 3:28pm
by Harry Dixon
Shirley and Marcy.
: Shirley and Marcy jolorn To undisclosed-recipients Mar 13 at 11:32 PM This message contains blocked images. Finally a good email to be sent out Shirley & Marcy A mother was concerned about her kindergarten son, Timmy, walking to school....
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 14, 2014 9:55pm
by Larry Southgate
A tragedy in Trieste.
From Il Piccolo web-site of today 12/03/14. During the afternoon, a 21 year old Afghan man, extracted the revolver from the holster of a policeman whilst the latter was bent over helping an elderly person. fired a few rounds in the air, then turned the gun on himsel...
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 12, 2014 9:04pm
by Larry Southgate
Military Hospital of Trieste
The Military Hospital of Trieste, in Via Fabio Severo, where I spent many a happy hour(?) has been reborn. Ready for occupation in October. BUT, no longer as a hospital. It has, according to an article on the Il Piccolo web-site, been transformed into a building...
Views: 138   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 12, 2014 8:54pm
by Larry Southgate
Cheltenham
I note with sorrow That the first equine death of the jump season took place yesterday,-the very first day too.Another dogmeat case which seems to have evoked the same as usual indifference from this great animal loving nation of ours.Why not declare all bets placed...
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 12, 2014 2:27pm
by Roy Walter
A few more chuckles
These great questions and answers are from the days when Hollywood Squares' game show responses were spontaneous, not scripted, as they are now! Q.. Paul, what is a good reason for pounding meat? A. Paul Lynde: Loneliness! (The audience laughed so...
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 10, 2014 8:57pm
by Larry Southgate
SIR TOM FINNEY 1922-2014
The death of Sir Tom, who graced our meeting at Preston in 2009 has just been announced. Applause for him will be taking place at grounds all over the country today to remember one of the greats of the game in the days when money was not almost everything.
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 15, 2014 11:52am
by Roy Boyles
DOES ANYONE READ ?
We have a very thin readership on here but it just might be worth asking if anyone subscribes to THE OLDIE. I am thinking about renewing my membership after a break of a couple of years. THERE IS ENDLESS TIME TO PLEASE YOURSELF THE MOMENT YOU ABOLISH THE NEED TO...
Views: 107   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2014 11:37am
by Roy Boyles
There's nothing like trying!
Pimp who stomped on man sues Nike for $100m A US pimp who was jailed for stomping on a man’s face with a pair of Nikes is suing the footwear giant for $100 million claiming the shoes should have been labeled as a “dangerous weapon”. Oregon...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 14, 2014 4:28pm
by Larry Southgate
Save the Tram for Opicina - Petition
On the Il Piccolo web-site there is a petition asking folks to sign up to "Save the Tram for Opicina". The tram has now been out of service for 496 days, 2 hours, 42 minutes at 2248 hours UK time tonight. Log onto www.ilpiccolo.gelocal.it. When the first page app...
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 11, 2014 10:16pm
by Larry Southgate
Want to buy a castle?
Anybody in the market for a change of locality? Like to live out your final years not too far from Trieste and the sea? Buy a castle. Slovenia is flogging off some six castles, part of it's heritage. So, if you have 257,000 Euros to spare (or think you could...
Views: 93   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 8, 2014 10:13pm
by Larry Southgate
Just wishing you all Happy New Year with a chuckle.
Mujibar was trying to get a job in India The Personnel Manager said, 'Mujibar, You have passed all the tests, except one. It is a simple test of your English language skills Unless you pass it , you cannot qualify for this job.' Mujibar said, 'I am ready.'...
Views: 75   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 1, 2014 9:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Are you in a HAPPY marriage??
Wife: 'What are you doing?' Husband: Nothing. Wife: 'Nothing...? You've been reading our marriage certificate for an hour.' Husband: 'I was looking for the expiration date.' Had to see the doctor After explaining to my doctor about my erectile dy...
Last Post: Jan 1, 2014 8:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Bumper stickers.
------------------------- Actual Bumper Stickers ------------------------- "Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine." "I love cats...they taste just like chicken" "Out of my mind. Back in five minutes." "Cover me. I'm changing lanes." "...
Last Post: Dec 30, 2013 10:03pm
by Larry Southgate
Just to spoil your New Year celebrations!
Awful Yorkshire jokes Police have just released details of a new drug craze that is being carried out in Yorkshire nightclubs.*Apparently, Yorkshire club goers have started injecting Ecstasy just above their front teeth. Police say the dangerous practice i...
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 30, 2013 9:53pm
by Larry Southgate
Hogmanay hangover.
Scottish Houses Turns out we are not the only place that is encountering severe winter conditions (where is that global warming now?). Zoe has just got off the phone with a friend who lives in Scotland. She said that when she woke early this morning the snow was...
Views: 99   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 30, 2013 9:11pm
by Larry Southgate
Just to remind you.
A Little Poem, so true it hurts! Another year has passed And we're all a little older. Last summer felt hotter And winter seems much colder. There was a time not long ago When life was quite a blast. Now I fully understand About 'Living in the Pa...
Views: 107   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 30, 2013 8:53pm
by Larry Southgate
You've got to be kidding.
Have you ever wondered who first uttered the phrase, "You Gotta Be Kidding Me?" Well, it just so happens to have originated through the Father of America, way back when George Washington was crossing the Delaware river with his troops. There were 33 men in Was...
Last Post: Dec 30, 2013 8:23pm
by Larry Southgate
Hotels in Trieste
Going to Trieste in 2014. Looking for a hotel? Try this site for size. www.hotels.travelsupermarket.com/Place/Trieste_1.htm. Hotel James Joyce from £45 Hotel Brioni " £33 Hotel Alabarda " £29 Hotel Centrale " &...
Views: 173   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 27, 2013 10:52pm
by Larry Southgate
Last Post: Ray Griffiths
Although we are not Members of the Betfor Association I would just like to convey our condolences to Rays Family, we have been friends with Ray & Marlene for many years and find it difficult to express our true feelings at this extremely sad time, Ray was always on h...
Views: 183   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 19, 2013 3:09pm
by John & Ann Halli...
CHAIRMAN 'S CHRISTMAS MESSAGE
I have just forwarded a message to all 106 BETFOR e mailers from John Darby. Please also accept seasonal greetings from myself and Maureen. If you feel like replying that would be very welcome. Journal 44 will be with you soon. Once we are into 2014 the Nottingham...
Views: 149   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 19, 2013 9:32am
by Roy Boyles Ho...
Regional Meeting
The date of my next regional meeting is Thursday 6th February at 12.00 The Encore PH, Commercial Road, Southampton Contact John Barron 01794 514686
Views: 145   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 18, 2013 3:04pm
by John Barron
Trouble at Mill,at The Rushbroke, the Suffolk Gathering Venue.
Now when we are having our Gathering,the Venue is very pleasant and well behaved Seems the Beer was extra strong,and the Gnats had not piddled in the Pumps. Why it had to happen when we were not in residence, it was just as well as a few old Codgers might have got...
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 17, 2013 7:56pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
Liberation of Trieste
I put up some extracts from the war diaries and Intelligence Summaries of the 22 Bn New Zealanders in May but you may like to read them yourself. They have a wonderful website which describes in great detail how they fought their way up Italy, across the North and in...
Views: 124   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 12, 2013 9:37am
by Harry Dixon
Che sera sera
click on this link or copy and paste into your browser, then click onto the following pictures. http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/foto-e-video/2013/12/06/fotogalleria/trieste-prove-di-luci-natalizie-1.8249615
Views: 131   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 7, 2013 8:29pm
by Larry Southgate
Suffolk Gathering Christmas at Rushbrooke
As stated elseware , on the Message Board,the Suffick Gathering,held their Annual Christmas Lunch today at the Rushbrooke Arms. The meal went down well,until half way i mentioned to the Suffolk Cooks at Rossetti,when are the Hay Boxes arriving,refering to the Dinne...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 6, 2013 7:39pm
by FRED GREENWOOD
The Irish version of how to get to Heaven.
>> >> >> How to get to Heaven from Ireland: A true Story from an Irish Sunday School Teacher in Dublin >> >> I was testing children in my Sunday school class to see if they understood the concept of getting to heaven. >> >> I asked them, ' If I sold my hous...
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2013 9:55pm
by Larry Southgate
Just for the Golf Nuts.
n their honeymoon, the new husband told his bride, "I have a confession to make that I should have made before, but I was concerned that it might affect our relationship. "What is it?" his new bride asked lovingly. "I'm a golf fanatic," he said. "I think abou...
Last Post: Nov 22, 2013 8:20pm
by Larry Southgate
Try these links for size
Try copying these and paste them into your URL/browser and get to see some photos of the items I have posted about the visit of Putin to Trieste and the opening ceremony of the hundredth anniversary of the first World War. http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/foto-e...
Views: 123   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 20, 2013 10:21pm
by Larry Southgate
It's that time of year!
Oh boy, 125 km per hour as the speed of the bora that hit Trieste the other night. Log onto www.ilpiccolo.com. There's a whole long series of photos showing the damage to cars, trees blown down, wowee, have they caught a bit of the hurricane from the Phillipines?
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 12, 2013 9:44pm
by Larry Southgate
Alenka Bratusek - Larry's Goddess.
PRIME MINISTER ALENKA BRATUŠEK Alenka Bratušek was born on 31 March 1970 in Celje and spent her youth in Žalec. Following her graduation from the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology, she obtained a master's degree in management of non-profit...
Views: 222   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 6, 2013 9:45pm
by Larry Southgate
General v Private
I hope Terry Crimp won't be upset by this one. An Army private was out one night when met this general walking his dog. "Nice night soldier" said the general"uh Yes Sir " said the private nervously.Pointing to his dog, the general said,"This is a Golden Retriever, t...
Views: 161   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 29, 2013 4:21pm
by Roy Walter
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Free Forum powered by Bravenet