Return to Website

BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

Forum: British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Greetings & More Tales From Wales - Chap 12.

Good Morning All - I thought it was about time I started a new chapter in this epic and October seems to be an appropriate month to do so. The weather seems to agree with me too as we have a bright, sunny and cold Sunday morning up here, the temperature outside in the garden is 7c and no trees stirring at all. Long may it last, well as long as it takes us to get back home from chapel anyway, though the forecast promises it will stay like this until tomorrow at least.

The last week in September has been a rather hectic one here. Last Sunday the television picture started to break up again, but I blamed the weather. Monday morning our washing machine was in full spin after breakfast when it suddenly started to sound like a cement mixer with a full load of bricks! I got onto the insurance company to report a fault, got a Job Number and the telephone number of the Hot Point depot. Hot Point said they could have an engineer with us between 12 and 3pm. He came a little earlier than that and decided we wanted a new ‘Y’ frame as ours had ‘snapped’. He sent an order off for a replacement and said he would see us when the new part was ready. Too good to be true I thought, and quite right I was! Tuesday the spares department phoned me to day that this particular part was difficult to get and they could not guarantee when one would become available and they would contact our insurance company ‘to-day’ to advise them of this and suggest they issued us with a new washing machine. Our insurance people would then contact us with details of what they were going to do. We are still waiting to hear.

I phoned D&G insurance yesterday morning to ask than what they were up to and was told that they had heard nothing from Hot Point and were waiting for a Job Report etc. I then decided to contact Hot Point and to express my ‘deep concern’ over the long delay. I was on ‘hold’ for just over two hours listening to computer generated reassurances from a female voices assuring me that my call was important to them and an operator would be with me shortly etc etc etc. Just after mid-day I hung up.

On the TV fault – the engineer came out on Tuesday evening and diagnosed a faulty ‘mother board’ and said they would order one up. I shall have to phone them tomorrow and see what progress that has made. The TV by the way is insured with the firm as the washing machine!!

On a more pleasant note, we had a friend join us for lunch of Thursday so we enjoyed a five hour extended lunch and gossip in her company. And I am afraid that is all for this instalment, it is time to start on getting ready for chapel. Have a good week all.

Re: Greetings & More Tales From Wales - Chap 12.

Hey Dave, don't forget to put the last stringy ones of the beans under vinegar for Xmas. If you or anyone else reading this would like a FREE - yes FREE - turkey for Xmas, start buying the Daily Mail this week and join the Mail Rewards club. You've just got time to register and start collecting the numbers off the back pages. Buy the Mail and find out tomorrow.

Email  

Good morning all – My apologies for the non-appearance of last Sundays episode, things got a little out of sync one way or another! But here we are again with a dull, wet and fairly windy start to the day. This mornings TV forecast promises us it should clear up by about 11am to give us sunny spells. I shall be glad when the weather decides to settle down and make its mind up that it is winter, and it is going to stay cold until Spring, I can then get out my winter woollies and put away the flimsier ‘fair weather gear’ until Spring makes an appearance.

Sorry Larry, there will be no pickled runner beans this year. We had a low harvest from the wig-wam this year and there were none left by the time everyone had their share! Pity really, we both enjoyed those we did pickle last year. This year we have been surprised by the spinach plants, we picked a goodly crop earlier in the year and then thought that they had given up. Slowly they started into life again and grew quite large size leaves which we thought would be too old and tough for eating, but when Sylvia decided to give it a try out she found it cooked up nicely, with a good flavour, and even the thicker stalks were quite tasty. Win some, lose some.

In case anyone is wondering why I have posted this episode much later on in the morning than my usual offerings – I have been excused chapel parade to-day. Friday night I was just about to get out of the bath when I had this sudden urge to see if it was possible to do a one and a half turn back twist dive onto the bathroom floor. The answer was ‘not really’ as there isn’t enough free space to accommodate a tubby human frame! The other conclusion was to not make a practice of the exercise as is bruises one’s ego, and also any point of contact on the body. I spent Friday night trying to lie very still in bed and taking Paracetamol tablets every four hours, and the same for Saturday too. I had received a bunch of Neighbourhood Watch notices over Friday and Saturday and managed to sit still at the computer long enough Saturday morning to condense the information into my usual A5 size leaflet which Sylvia kindly volunteered to deliver for me in the afternoon, bless her! I am hoping to be near enough my usual fit and vigorous self once again by tomorrow morning.

So there you have it – have a good week and keep out of trouble.

Good morning all - A right wintery touch on the air this morning although the thermometer says it is only 10c outside in the garden, here inside, I have just been looking out my first stage ‘winter undies’. I am not sure just how warm they keep the chapel down the road and I don’t intend taking any chances!

Yes, my battered frame seems to be willing to take a chance so I am back on the weekly chapel parade to-day. I was still having trouble on Wednesday so I reported for sick parade at the surgery in Rhuddlan and was told I had probably either broken/cracked a rib in the back, and sprained/torn a muscle in the same place, and ‘They’ don’t do X-rays for that sort of thing any more, just keep on taking pain killers as necessary and try to rest it as much as possible. “Thank you Nurse”, sez I, “Pleasure” sez she and threw in a ‘flu jab as a consolation prize! So here we are, soldiering on as best we can (or should that be air-manning on or - even sailing on perhaps?? By the way Harry, I am enjoying your nautical displays, some stunning pictures. We used to have a lot of trouble coming down the Malacca Strait when the fishing fleets were all out in full force – they didn’t look quite as smart though.

Life isn’t all gloom here, we had our new mother-board fitted into the TV Wednesday too, and that seems to have solved the problem of broken up pictures, (pixilation I believe is the technical expression), so we can now watch the BBC news in comfort. I am still trying to decide whether the Donald & Hilary is a genuine political campaign or some American soap opera has got mixed up in with the BBC news! Whatever the answer to that is I am more convinced than ever that we did the right thing back in the Boston Tea Party days when we gave them their Independence!

Sylvia is still working hard out there in the garden clearing up after the change in the weather. She complains daily that such and such a bed of flowers should have died off weeks ago, and others are coming into bloom again long after they should have hibernated for the winter! She does keep it looking ‘cared for’ which is the main thing I suppose.

I am not as nimble as usual now after my Olympic display in the bathroom last week so I had better make a softly-softly move towards getting changed for chapel parade. Have a good week all.

Good morning all - Here we are again with a meek and mild late autumn morning to start us off on the week. The temperature is 13c out in the garden, a light generally SE’ly wind is hardly moving any of the remaining leaves on the trees, and the forecast tells us that it is staying that way until tomorrow morning. It looks like being a quiet Sunday all round in fact. At least it will give us all a chance to recover from putting the clocks back last night! Counting the various clocks built into the gas cooker, microwave oven etc. I have seven to deal with, the others are all ‘radio controlled’ and look after themselves (usually). The one I have most trouble with is my own Seiko watch which I bought some 38 years ago in Rhyl! Fair play to it, All I have spent on it since is for a new battery every 3 or 4 years so it gives me a good service despite the hard life it had during my time at sea.

Nothing much else to report really. The garden continues as ever, the weeds growing fast and Sylvia doing her best to keep them under control. We ate the last of our own apples the other day so now are reliant on what the local shops have to offer, and that isn’t very much at the moment. We do have a goodly store of frozen apple pulp in the freezer which will last us until next harvest for apple crumbles and so on, the same goes for gooseberries, blackcurrants, red currants and Tay berries. So, I think we really come out on the credit side as far as the garden goes.

The last two or three weeks we have seen quite a lot of geese flying off to somewhere in a very determined fashion, but not all heading the same way. A couple of days ago I think it was four separate squadrons went by overhead at breakfast time, one of the group didn’t seem to know who they belonged to – must have been having sat-nav problems maybe!

Talking of problems reminds me it is time I was getting about my duties, next on the agenda being getting fit for chapel parade.

Don’t let the weather get you down, for Christmas is just around the corner now! Have fun.

Good morning all - And it is a rough and cold wintery day here to-day. Heavy looking, dark clouds and a strongish northerly wind blowing around 20 to 25 mph. The trees are complaining bitterly as they are blown about by the gusty wind, and who can blame them.

This week has been one of those that have nothing memorable about them, good or bad. My rash has died down now after a fortnight’s smothering in cold, white gunk so I decided yesterday to give it a break and see whether it has cleared or not. Fingers crossed. Out in the garden Sylvia has persevered with her cleaning up operation and fills the ‘garden waste’ bin the day after the council has been to empty it, and she already has two of our own compost bins near enough full. Both the lawns seem to have decided it is time they had a rest and have stopped growing so quickly.

Indoors things are running smoothly with the Christmas puddings and Christmas cakes put away in the pantry along with the jars of chutney (marrow chutney and pear chutney this year). So we shall not starve over the holiday! Further afield the town’s streets are showing their Christmas decorations, and the shops are following suite. The local papers are already full of various hostelries and other eating places’ adverts for their ‘Xmas Specialities’ and so on, and on and on. At home, here ours starts to-day, as we have invited two old friends, David and Glyn, from chapel for lunch so I am looking forward to that as they are both good company, and good trenchermen too!

I had better close now and get a move on with the morning routine of getting ready for chapel and so on. Have a good week all, and take care.

Good morning all - It looks like a nice start for Remembrance Sunday – a nice, colourful sunrise and the clouds are clearing as well. It will make a nice change after some of the wet, cold and windy spells we have been having of late.
Running a bit late this morning for some reason or another and our Sunday morning schedule is usually a bit tight at the best of times, anyway let’s press on.

It has been another uneventful week, not exactly quiet, but steady going as it were. I did have a couple of evening meetings but they didn’t run on too long and were interesting enough as well. The excitement was Friday morning when the sliding door on the bathroom started running very noisily and erratically. It has been complaining ever since I fell out of the bath backwards and landed up against the bottom of the door and loosened the bottom guide rail. I managed to contact a jointer who came down by 10.30 and set it right after dismantling the top and bottom running gear and then adjusting the various bits and pieces and replaced the wooden ‘pelmet’ that hides the top rails. If it goes again he suggests I should think about a newer type system, more suited to our situation. He then went off, having charged a very reasonable amount for the work done, and the swift attendance. It seems we were fortunate as he had a big job lined up but when he went to the site that morning he found that it was not quite ready for him to start.

The main garden work now seems to be the clearing of leaves and other wind-blown debris, as the lawns seem to have decided to hibernate for the rest of the winter (and not before time too!). The mower has been mothballed, hopefully until next spring, the battery charged and put away until required too.

The signs of Christmas are showing everywhere around the town now. Nearly all the main High Street shops are geared up for the Christmas Rush, the Council are bedecking the lampposts etc. with seasonal lights and flags and the various churches are advertising their own Christmas Events too. So Santa Claus should be busy packing his sacks and currying the reindeers (does one ‘curry’ reindeers, or is that restricted to horses I wonder). And yes, I do know you can curry beef, chicken, goats and pigs before somebody is getting ready to write and tell me!!!!

Enough of the gossip as it is time I was getting myself organised for Chapel, I have my Poppy and Merchant Navy Association tie ready together with a highly polished pair of black shoes, combed my hair and beard so I should pass muster! Have a good week all and do watch out for low flying sleighs drawn by a red nosed reindeer!

Morning all – A rather duller, but much warmer, morning to-day. We awoke on Friday to a local landscape covered in a white frost after the temperature had dropped to around -3C. While very cold it was a brilliant, sparkling day, and made one think that spring was somewhere ahead, maybe. Today it looks as if it is going to be ‘milder’ but duller and damper.

It has been a quiet week by and large. Our excitement of the week was a meeting in Rhyl on Thursday morning with the various groups involved in our son’s care package. An annual event that checks all is going well with the arrangements, what has gone right and what, if anything, has gone wrong etc. We are very lucky in that respect; this package has been in place for about twenty years now and has run smoothly apart from one or two hiccups in the earlier years. Long may it carry on that way.

Friday morning, we had our hedges and trees trimmed back for the year. We have had the same man and wife team to come and attend to the job for about 4 years now and they know what is expected of them. Give them their due they both graft away quietly and without fuss, and they leave the garden looking trim and clean when they have finished. Even Sylvia cannot find much to do in the way of clearing up after them!

Our chapel Remembrance Service went down very well on the 13th with a nicely balanced service; and last Sunday we had a christening service which made a nice change in the usual routine. We do not get christenings (or weddings) these days – funerals we do get.

Time has run on again and I must move on and get on with the job of turning myself into a suave man about town! No nasty comments please, gentlemen! Keep warm and have a good week.

Good morning all – My apologies for the non-appearance of last week’s posting, all due to the fact that we had our daughter and granddaughter down to stay for the week-end. They had travelled by car and wanted to make a fairly early start back on the Sunday so Sylvia and I had a day off chapel, and I never got my usual ‘quiet spot’ after breakfast which is when I usually get around to penning this offering.

So, what has been happening over the last two weeks. We both seem to have been involved with going here and there for one reason or another, just those routine events that do crop up – especially in the weeks running up to Christmas. Then on the Thursday evening our main deep freezer, which lives out in the garage, ran amok and the temperature rose to well out of the freezer zone, out of the safe refrigerator zone too if it comes to that. Somehow the door had edged open slightly some time late on Wednesday evening and as we hadn’t been in there until Thursday evening when Sylvia went in to do something and noticed by chance that the door was not properly closed – then panic! Most of the stuff in the freezer had begun to go soft and we decided that we didn’t fancy using any of it we condemned the lot.

Friday I spent a lot of time on the computer looking for a suitable replacement and eventually decided on a Hotpoint model which is a self-defrosting unit as Sylvia had had a lot of trouble with the old machine which was a manual de-frost job and took her ages. A week before it could be delivered so it arrived here at 7.45am last Friday! The delivery people had phoned on the Thursday to say it was coming and it would be with us between 7am and 10am, so we were well prepared and had an early breakfast etc.! It had cooled down to the freezing temperature during the day and the first lot of goodies were put in yesterday afternoon. I popped out to check how they were doing just before breakfast this morning and found all was well.

The other main highlight of this week was a visit to our favourite watering hole out in the country for lunch with my cousin and his wife, they kindly call to pick us up (and bring us back) since we no longer have a car, and there is no other way of getting to the ‘Cherry Pie', and a very good time was enjoyed by the four of us.

Time I made a move now and got ready for chapel, have a good week and take it easy of the Christmas Shopping!

Good morning all – My apologies for the non-appearance of last week’s posting, all due to the fact that we had our daughter and granddaughter down to stay for the week-end. They had travelled by car and wanted to make a fairly early start back on the Sunday so Sylvia and I had a day off chapel, and I never got my usual ‘quiet spot’ after breakfast which is when I usually get around to penning this offering.

So, what has been happening over the last two weeks. We both seem to have been involved with going here and there for one reason or another, just those routine events that do crop up – especially in the weeks running up to Christmas. Then on the Thursday evening our main deep freezer, which lives out in the garage, ran amok and the temperature rose to well out of the freezer zone, out of the safe refrigerator zone too if it comes to that. Somehow the door had edged open slightly some time late on Wednesday evening and as we hadn’t been in there until Thursday evening when Sylvia went in to do something and noticed by chance that the door was not properly closed – then panic! Most of the stuff in the freezer had begun to go soft and we decided that we didn’t fancy using any of it we condemned the lot.

Friday I spent a lot of time on the computer looking for a suitable replacement and eventually decided on a Hotpoint model which is a self-defrosting unit as Sylvia had had a lot of trouble with the old machine which was a manual de-frost job and took her ages. A week before it could be delivered so it arrived here at 7.45am last Friday! The delivery people had phoned on the Thursday to say it was coming and it would be with us between 7am and 10am, so we were well prepared and had an early breakfast etc.! It had cooled down to the freezing temperature during the day and the first lot of goodies were put in yesterday afternoon. I popped out to check how they were doing just before breakfast this morning and found all was well.

The other main highlight of this week was a visit to our favourite watering hole out in the country for lunch with my cousin and his wife, they kindly call to pick us up (and bring us back) since we no longer have a car, and there is no other way of getting to the ‘Cherry Pie'.

Time I got myself ready for chapel, take it easy on the Christmas Shopping. Have a good week and look after yourselves.

Good morning all – Looks like another dark, damp and drear morning out there so far. I haven’t really examined the situation closely, and I don’t think I will do either, it may brighten up before it is time to go down to chapel.
It has been another routine week taken all around. The new freezers are settled in and running nicely and Sylvia is busy getting the stocks up to scratch once again. She is happy now that we are covered for the Christmas period at least. Just as well really, as Prestatyn is in its usual state of panic buying for Christmas, just in case all the shops run out of supplies! It has never happened yet, but you can never tell is the attitude of most shoppers by the looks of it!

The garden generally looks quite reasonable. The hedges and shrubs have had a good trim back, and Sylvia has spent a lot of the time out there in the better weather windows weeding and generally cleaning up. You can now see where the daffodil shoots are showing, a heartening sign of Spring may be visiting us once again this year! It won’t be long before people are grumbling that that is a bad sign for any daffodils still being in bloom for St. David’s Day. Oh Woe! indeed. Never mind, they always look great whatever time of the year it may be.

I am quietly confident that I have completed my Christmas shopping (I think???). I had to pop out yesterday morning after suddenly realising that I still hadn’t got Sylvia’s Christmas card; while I was out I took the chance of getting a beard and hair trim – an hour wait at the barbers for the sake of a ten-minute trim!

Time to go and get myself spruced up to match the haircut and beard trim before getting along to chapel – which is a good intro to wishing you all a happy Christmas, and that the coming New Year is kind and generous to you and yours.

And a very merry Christmas to you too, Dave in which is included greetings also for that hard-working wife of yours, Sylvia. May the two of you have a most enjoyable Christmas and a Happy and more Prosperous New year 2017.

Email