Return to Website

BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

Forum: British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
"DADLAND A Journey into Uncharted Territory" by Keggie Carew

Watching the news the other day, i barely noticed an item about the nominations for the Costa Book Awards but one book-cover caught my attemtio,; it was that of Keggies Carrew's book about her father, Tom Carew who was CO of Trieste Security Office in the fifties.

I wrote briefly about the book here at the time and wrote a review for the joutnal (Autumn 1016). Our Hon Editor also wrote a piece about Tom Carew's "Romance at the TSO".

Anyhow I'm glad to report that Keggie's book won the Biography prize.

This photo was taken at around the time of his coming to TSO:

It was known that, as a member of SOE, he had twice been parachuted into Burma behind enemy lines. He had also been parachuted behind German lines in Northern Europe. He held the Croix de Guerre and the DSO.

Re: "DADLAND A Journey into Uncharted Territory" by Keggie Carew

My apologies for the finger troubles displayed in that item. There was an excuse but I shan't reveal it.

The journal was No.55, Autumn 2016, Keggie is a singular lady, quotation marks, once opened need to be shut sometime and "journal" should be spelled the same all the time.

There'll be a prize of several brownie points for anyone who can spot another.

I understand that finger trouble can be the result of a sudden attack of that dreaded complaint "Brewers asthma"

Email  

What you omitted to say, Harry, is that the book is now available in paperback. Having got hold of one I am in the middle of it and agree that it is very well written.

Also, when one reaches Page 251, a paragraph starts off... "Harry Dixon, serving in the Intelligence Corps, remembers Dad's arrival....."

For those in the South, Keggie Carew is giving a talk on her book at Symondsbury Tithe Barn near Bridport on 6th. March at 2.30.
Tickets from Bridport Tourist Information Centre 01308 424901.

Email