BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Last Post
PHOTO: Can Spring Really Be.............?
Il Piccolo has nothing but accidents, mortalities and road closures to tell us about - apart from the news that the Fascists are rearing their heads again. You may be sick of the television presenters who have done media studies instead of a real subject and decided...
Views: 79   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 16, 2018 3:56pm
by Harry Dixon
Welsh regiments wearing a black ribbon on the back of their battle dress.
I was asked why the Welsh regiment wore black ribbons on the back of their uniform. The best I can come up with is when they wore a pig tail it was to keep the grease of the jacket Officers down to Sargent only.This was until 1900.I can find no defenat reason in any...
Views: 24   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 15, 2018 9:48pm
by Larry Southgate
Training for War!
I’ve been reading with amusement Harry’s accounts of his joining the Army so I thought I would add to the hilarity by recounting my experiences on joining the Army. I volunteered first of all to join the Air Force and went up to their offices in Bristo...
Views: 50   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 13, 2018 10:33pm
by Larry Southgate
It was clear to us in the sixth form at school that national service was going to affect us all. In 1947 85% of university places were reserved for returning ex-servicemen but it seemed sensible to try for a place. At University I shared digs with “Dusty”...
Views: 43   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 12, 2018 1:58pm
by Harry Dixon
Return of the happy wanderer.
And so we draw half of the curtain on the AGM of 2018. I arrived home safe and sound after o many twists and turns I almost told my chauffeur -my aon - to park the car and try and find a bus going somewhere near to our home. When are they going to fix the road n...
Views: 18   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2018 10:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Thanks to the committee .
Back home after attending the annual dinner last night and the AGM this morning. Thanks to the committee for their hard work during the year. It was great to put faces to names after three years membership. I will send the photos taken in Riobello restaurant to Ha...
Views: 21   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2018 7:38pm
by Paula
Re: Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chapter 17A :
Good morning – Hopefully, by the time I have finished this mornings Chapter of these gripping episodes, I have managed to disconnect myself from Chapter 16. Fingers crossed, but I must say I have started this twice now and have switched myself off before I hav...
Views: 190   Replies: 13
Last Post: Mar 11, 2018 9:38am
by Dave 796 RAF
I have to admit I was less concerned with the “service” element than wondering what I could get out of it. What I'd heard from my former school mates wasn't encouraging. Tedium was one complaint; being subject the the whims of clowns was another. There's...
Views: 66   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 3, 2018 2:27pm
by Harry Dixon
regional meeting
Owing to the extreme weather heading our way I have cancelled the meeting booked for Friday 2nd Mar. and re-booked for Friday 16th Mar. All known regular attendees have been contacted and agreed on the new date. Meeting at The Rushbrooke Arms,Sicklesmere,B...
Views: 20   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2018 9:26am
by Charlie Dunnett
just a few more days before we arrive on the banks of the Ouse. Barring any late late deciders we shall be around 40 made up of members, spouses, lovers, children and grandchildren of members. The name badges have been up-dated, the BETFOR flag taken from its spot in...
Views: 29   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 25, 2018 11:05am
by roy boyles
With 'allies'like this who needs enemies.
A posting on the 'Il Piccolo' website tonight caught my attention. A brief resume is below: 800 Slovenian soldiers, specially selected and supposedly perfectly operational to join NATO ranks, from the 72nd Brigade (Marisborka) of the Slovene Army, have been fou...
Views: 50   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 24, 2018 9:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Jim and Demob.
The Army Welfare Unit had a box for some performances at the Teatro Verdi. This was advertised on the BFN (British Forces Network) and applications were invited from interested groups in units. A group would be selected by lot to have the use of the box for a particu...
Views: 31   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 19, 2018 1:05pm
by Harry Dixon
The photograph of a procession from yesterdays edition.
Pity that the photograph from yesterday has been changed because I have just today received the explanation of what it was. I'll still put it here. The photo is of a "Carsico Wedding", an event which occurs every two years on the rocks of Monrupino about 7 km fr...
Views: 42   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 10, 2018 3:55pm
by Larry Southgate
Riobello Italian Restaurant
Having just received the journal in the post and reading about the restaurant for the gala dinner at the AGM weekend I was amazed to see Channel 5 had a programme last night showing Alex Polizzi and brother-in-law perform a makeover on the said restaurant. It seems t...
Views: 46   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 10, 2018 3:50pm
by Larry Southgate
Beauthy Competitions.
From the Il Piccolo website today. And 'she' really is beautiful in 'her' photograph. A big surprise at the Miss Kazakhistan competition. Arina Allyeva, a very beautiful contestant, made it through to the finals of the competition for Miss Virtual Kazakhist...
Views: 23   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2018 9:17pm
by Larry Southgate
Gina L
public service announcement. Gina Lollobrigida is 90. thought you should know !
Views: 30   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 4, 2018 8:00pm
by roy boyles
Southampton Group meeting
John Barron’s Southampton group will be meeting at Gusto Lounge, 1 Commercial Road Southampton at 11.30 on Thursday 22nd February. We look forward to catching up with as many ‘locals’ as possible. It is always a good Italian lunch with lots of laug...
Views: 27   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 3, 2018 1:40pm
by Paula
A home in Sardinia.
My son Paul has just come in to see me with his tablet. He has an app on it called Mail Online. On that app, there is a notice of homes for sale in Sardinia for 90 pence. Deadline for applications is 7 February. There are also other locations in Italy where hou...
Views: 34   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 2, 2018 8:15pm
by Larry Southgate
How stupid nas d'ntage made me.Thankyou Harry for tactfully pointing out my folly.Of course the whole 33 photos were there.I just coul'nt see them.
Views: 49   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 2, 2018 8:11pm
by Larry Southgate
Views: 59   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 30, 2018 1:04pm
by Harry Dixon
Jim Arrives at TRIESTE security Office
TSO The Landrover, when it eventually arrived, initially took us back the way we had just come but then turned right into Via Milano, crossed Via Josue Carducci and into Via del Coroneo. We briefly stopped to let the sergeant (was his name Burton ? why cannot I re...
Views: 31   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 29, 2018 2:51pm
by Harry Dixon
Jim McLeish Arrives in TRIESTE
(Here he's still on the train) There, the train made a tour around much of the cathedral before crossing over to the right bank of the Rhine. As we reached the Mittel Rhein, the aspect changed again. The vine-clad slopes, topped with castles in various states of d...
Views: 32   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2018 3:50pm
by Harry Dixon
According to our website there are 33 RASC photos.Why is it I can only get 9?
Views: 42   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 24, 2018 1:00pm
by Harry Dixon
Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chapter 16
Good morning and welcome to Chapter 16 of this endless saga. The morning is not too bad here at the moment. The temperature out in the garden is 15c and it seems to be a drizzly sort of start. Never mind, it will be Christmas very soon according to a lot of the adve...
Views: 292   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jan 14, 2018 10:34am
by Dave 796 RAF
Suspicious mind
I noticed a small entry on the Il Piccolo website tonight which started this suspicious mind of mine working. The article under mention stated that thousands of Italians are leaving Italy and going to Albania. |Now why would all those Italians go over to Albania,...
Views: 29   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 10, 2018 9:21pm
by Larry Southgate
CHANGE can be ........... ..................
as good as a rest - or it can be a the a... I'm writing this on my new keyboard which came with my new computer. You have all got "devices", as we see these wondrous objects described, so you will know that there are tedious and fiddly things to get through...
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 4, 2018 3:40pm
by Harry Dixon
Sgt Kevin McGuigan
Greetings to all, I am looking for anyone who might remember my (now deceased) father, (Sgt) Kevin McGuigan, who did his National Service in Trieste in the late 1940s/early 1950s. I'd be grateful for any information.
Views: 59   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 2, 2018 7:07pm
by sean mcguigan
"Word" is expensive because you have to buy "Office". There is, however, a free alternative which woks at least as well - possibly better; it is "Openn Office" published by Apache and can be downloaded free completely safely.
Views: 24   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 2, 2018 1:19pm
by Harry Dixon
How did your Holidays pan-out?
I spent Christmas day with my daughter and my son at her house. Dinner and a natter. Then we visited my grandson and his wife and son and had another natter and distributed presents. On Boxing day, her other son came over with his two daughters and we spent th...
Views: 38   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 29, 2017 1:41pm
by Harry Dixon
Lo spettacolare tramonto del 23 dicembre a Trieste
Il Piccolo yesterday had several photos of the spectacular sunset on 23rd December. I should guess that this was taken from the Strada Napoleonica.
Views: 38   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 24, 2017 3:15pm
by Harry Dixon
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10