Return to Website

BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

Forum: British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Horse deaths

Another surprise.The so called Grand National has been and gone and all the horses have escaped with their lives.The Animal Aid Society says the industry sends around one thousand horses each year to be slaughtered presumably for pet food.I wonder how many of our members are prepared to give some thought to writing to their MPs or newspapers regarding this issue?Horse graveyards created and maintained by the betting companies is a cruel price to pay for these needless deaths.

Email  
Re: Horse deaths

I wonder if any of the dead horses end up in supermarket butchers. Horse meat is very tasteful. And no, Roy, I will not be writing to my MP. It is a pity that a lot of horses die during the 'jump' season but twill not make an iota of difference writing to an MP. They are too much in the pockets of the rich owners to want to put an end to horse racing. Even if there were collected 100,000 names on a facebook or some other social media to warrant a parliamentary inquiry twould make no difference. Money counts and free lunches at the races for MPs and their wives/girlfriends is too much of freebie to give up.

Email  

I agree with both of you but any petition you could muster would be a wast of time.Horse racing ls a very big business and the biggest supporters are the stupid people that place bets every day and seam happy to lose their money.😩😩😩😩😬

I understand your cynicism .The very same attitude prevailed before determination gained women the vote.(Horses were involved there too.)

Email  

"They Shoot Horses Don't They?"

I cannot sort out my feelings enough to take a stand on animals' lives and what they should mean. I have a grand-daughter who was a decided vegan as a student but she changed entirely when she went back-packing in Africa and would have starved if she had stood firm. We drive past fields of sheep each day and agree that killing one for meat would be abhorrent - but we had shepherds' pie yesterday. At the Star Inn last week I had gammon steak. In Australia I've eaten roo and wallaby.

BUT horses -(and dogs)- are different. I agree with Roy; it seems callous to the extreme to breed, rear, buy and sell animals and then dispose of them- especially in such large numbers - as if they were inanimate objects devoid of any feeling. It seems inhuman.

Roy is right too in being willing to "do something" but, as Roland says, there are large numbers of bookies and racegoers, on the other side.

It later occurred to me that Sam Harris defined moral behaviour as "that which enhances the well being of any sentient being". It struck me, when I first hear him say that, that his "sentient beings" included many animals.

Happened in 2013 :)

In the UK, some supermarkets have admitted that there is horse meat in their Home -brand burgers.
Even places like Burger King have had to admit that there are “small amounts” of horse meat in their burgers.
Tesco is a big supermarket chain in the UK
Within hours of the news that Tesco's 'all beef hamburgers' contained
30% horse meat, these quips hit the internet …

“I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse..... I guess Tesco just listened!

Anyone want a burger from Tesco? Yay or neigh?

Not entirely sure how Tesco are going to get over this hurdle.

Waitress in Tesco asked if I wanted anything on my Burger.
So I had £5 each way!

Had some burgers from Tesco for my tea last night ...

I still have a bit between my teeth
A woman has been taken into hospital after eating horse meat burgers from Tesco.
Her condition is said to be stable.

Tesco are now testing all their vegetarian burgers for traces of unicorn

"I've just checked the Tesco burgers in my freezer ... AND THEY'RE OFF"

Tesco now forced to deny presence of zebra in burgers,

Said to the missus, These Tesco burgers give me the trots....

"To beef or not to beef, that is equestrian".....

A cow walks into a bar.

Barman says, "Why the long face?"

Cow says "Illegal ingredients, coming over here stealing our jobs!"

I hear the smaller version of those Tesco burgers make great horse d'oeuvres.

These Tesco burger jokes are going on a bit....

Talk about flogging a dead horse!

Email  

"Sentient beings" - it isn't only humans (well some of 'em) who have feelings. Here are photos of two beings, who, although they can't speak, clearly have strong feelings: