Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Sea-plane Flights from Piazza Unita
Il Piccolo carries several photos of this Cessna sea-plane. The intention was to recreate the flights of the 20s and 30s but the six seater which used to be available had been replace by a 3 seater so, apart from the pilot and co-pilot there is room for only one of t...
Views: 13   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 19, 2018 1:31pm
by Harry Dixon
SOUTHAMPTON GROUP MEETUP
Southampton group have a booking for lunch at Gusto in town centre starting at 11.30 this Thursday 24 May. We look forward to all who can make it to enjoy a light Italian lunch and talk about all things Trieste. Hope to see you there. Anyone with travel problem...
Views: 1   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2018 7:56am
by Paula
2018 Giro d'italia
almost time for the start of this years race. The starting stages are in Israel with a Jerusalem time trial on Friday,4th May. The race can be followed every day on Eurosport. The latter stages are in NE Italy but not near TS. I am anticipating some regular photo co...
Views: 122   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 20, 2018 1:23pm
by Harry Dixon
Re: Greetings & Yet More Tales from Wales - Chapter 18.
Good morning all – Already it looks a much nicer day than it was this time yesterday, and with any luck it will carry on like this all day. And welcome to Chapter 18! My apologies for the missing Greetings from last Sunday. Unfortunately, I was still under t...
Views: 169   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 20, 2018 8:04am
by Dave 796 RAF
Even Friuli Venezia Gulia at the wedding!
ROYAL WEDDING Un gradese il re dei tovaglioli alle nozze di Harry e Meghan Si chiama Luigi Spotorno ed è il maestro scelto per l’atteso matrimonio reale. Ha inventato il nuovo modello con cui verranno piegate le salviette a corte A little notice fro...
Views: 11   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 18, 2018 9:13pm
by Larry Southgate
The North Staffs
Six photographs have been uploaded to the web-site and I've put them in the North staffs album there are two hand-written notes but no other details. I'm always glad to add photos to their appropriate albums. It would be helpful to have some background information su...
Views: 16   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 18, 2018 6:07pm
by Harry Dixon
Trieste
I was born stateless in 1952 Trieste in the Hospital Majore following my parents escape from Jugoslavia. We were domiciled in a refuge camp in Trieste administered at the time by the British Army. My father now deceased told me when I was young about the help he had...
Views: 28   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 15, 2018 5:01am
by Ben Peto
A double-decker library.
Another little snippet from the Il Piccolo website today. Bringing books to the people in a double-decker called Denis. An idea of Sara, a Triestina and Simone from Treviso, both librarians, to bring books to the people of Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia. To...
Views: 15   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2018 10:22pm
by Larry Southgate
Taxi drivers in revolt.
A little note from Il Piccolo web-site today which appears to have skipped by our newspapers. BELGRADE: A great European metropolis, paralized for more than 8 hours. By the anger of a few hundred taxi-drivers. This was the scene yesterday in Belgrade where, fr...
Views: 16   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2018 10:10pm
by Larry Southgate
Anniversaries?????????
Strange that so far this year there has been hardly any mention as to what signification 8 May holds. Well, on the night of 7 May I was in a convalescent depot in Hasselt in Belgium. Finally, the war was over. We were given permission by the CO of the convalesc...
Views: 19   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2018 9:44pm
by Larry Southgate
M.Escher
This artist has fascinated me for years.I have a large book full of much of his work.What a fantastic imagination
Views: 51   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 6, 2018 12:30pm
by Harry Dixon
Premium Bonds.
I never, until this evening, realised how very,very difficult it is nowadays to buy Premium Bonds. I had a windfall this month and as I have a few quid now in my bank, I thought I would buy some more Premium Bonds. I have a standing order with my bank to purchase...
Views: 16   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2018 8:31pm
by Larry Southgate
The Fraud Squad.
This may turn out to be a trifle long so if you want to scroll on, be my guest. Yesterday I deposited quite a large sum of money in my bank account as the result of an inheritance. Made one or two investments then decided to go on line in the afternoon and book ho...
Views: 43   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 4, 2018 1:54pm
by Harry Dixon
PHOTO: Escher's pictures were often mathematical puzzles.........
..... but this, in a current exhibition in the Netherlands, is an "Italian landscape". You don't have to like it - but it is very interesting.
Views: 19   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2018 3:04pm
by Harry Dixon
Bank Holiday weekend.
Seeing the weather forecast today, I note that they say we should have a 'fine' weekend with temperatures in the low 20s. That'll make a change from the normal because normally when it is a bank holiday weekend we generally get a downpour. Has to be seen to be be...
Views: 13   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 1, 2018 9:15pm
by Larry Southgate
TIME........?????
"It doesn't seem all that long ago that were there." Time flies. It's surely not all that long ago since...... All these thoughts must be fairly common. Yet the reality is there. We don't go out jogging because.....we don't feel like it or is it really that we ca...
Views: 68   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 1, 2018 10:55am
by Harry Dixon
Domain
When I logged on earlier I was met by a betting firm's advert. Some people enter the message forum via the website. I'm getting Bravenet to put it all right. There's a small notice saying that it expired on 20th April. This is not so. It is "recurred" automatically...
Views: 39   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 23, 2018 6:17pm
by Harry Dixon
The liner REX
A few years ago there was a lengthy correspondence in this forum about the wrecks seen in the bay by early BETFOR arrivals. One of the wrecks was that of the Rex, most famous of Italian liners. It was sunk by a British plane, possibly by rocket fire. Il Piccolo carr...
Views: 34   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 18, 2018 9:00pm
by Larry Southgate
Bobbies
Why do the Italians have so many different kinds. They often come under the general term of "vigili" and they include the vigili urbani, (ordinary town bobbies) and the carabinieri, who are said to be more military and who often carry arms. There has recently been...
Views: 35   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2018 9:37pm
by Larry Southgate
Il Piccolo Archived on the Web
There have been several items which seem to say that Il Piccolo's archives are to be made public on the web. I have tried to find a way in to see if there are items from the days of the FTT which can be seen - but so far I've been unsuccessful' I'd be very grateful i...
Views: 24   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 17, 2018 12:37pm
by Harry Dixon
2018 Grand National
Among the winners this year were BETFOR members, Les Bell, Geoffrey Jarman Bill Mills and Jim Greaves all of whom were at the Bedford reunion in March. Their respective Bank a/c's will be refreshed in the next day or two. Comiserations to several others whose nags...
Last Post: Apr 15, 2018 10:51am
by roy boyles
Grump Pt3
Gold Coast Games.Why.Why.Why.do they persist in regarding rifle shooting as a sport?Are snipers sportsmen?Will the Israeli sharpshooters be rewarded with gold medals for every Palestinian shot? Bows and arrows are at least harmless,but if bycicle racing is a sporting...
Views: 52   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 15, 2018 8:53am
by Dave 796 RAF
grumpiness
Unlike Harry I confess to varied feelings of grumpiness.I lie awake in my lonely bed ,disapproving of many facets of modern behaviour.Not least of which is FACEBOOK.So much so that I recently disassociated my self from it's membership.An organisation which started so...
Views: 45   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 9, 2018 9:34pm
by Larry Southgate
Further grump[ness
Part 2 So well but now has devolved into an outfit which will sell it's members private information to anyone who can afford it.Furthermore the boss when invited to come and justify his actions by our Parliament,refuses and offers the services of two of his minions...
Last Post: Apr 9, 2018 11:27am
by Roy Walter
Journal 61 Spring 2018
Well done Geoff for the latest journal bursting with interesting items. At double the size you had a big task this quarter. The photos from Bedford have come out really well, thanks. Very exciting to see the new member, Brian Collins, lives 5 minutes away from me....
Views: 21   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 8, 2018 2:29pm
by Paula
"Maturity"
"Maturity" is a positive thing; we like mature cheese, mature wine and we look down on immaturity, which we equate with silliness and excessive frivolity but we see around us every day, the downsides of getting "older". We sometimes read of "elderly" drivers, and fin...
Views: 33   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 8, 2018 1:05pm
by Harry Dixon
Why not say goonite or cheers when leaving our site?
Harry, is there any way you can put up a method of shutting down our web-site after one has visited? I hate having to just abandon the site without shutting it down. Seems like not saying bye-bye to a friend when you leave them after a drink in the pub. Not tha...
Views: 20   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 6, 2018 8:57pm
by Larry Southgate
Montalbano Comes North
TRIESTE Che il commissario Montalbano lasci la sua amata Sicilia è un evento davvero raro, ma questa volta il personaggio interpretato da Luca Zingaretti e nato dalla penna di Andrea Camilleri volerà in Friuli per indagare su un nuovo caso di omicidio....
Views: 41   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 6, 2018 8:51pm
by Larry Southgate
Easter greetings
Happy Easter to you all and hope you have not fallen for any April fools this morning! Thought it safe to post now that midday has passed. As my Italian family always send me on April 1st; Sono sbarcati i marziani, chiudetevi tutti in casa! Buon pesce d’a...
Views: 31   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 1, 2018 5:03pm
by Harry Dixon
Training for War!
I’ve been reading with amusement Harry’s accounts of his joining the Army so I thought I would add to the hilarity by recounting my experiences on joining the Army. I volunteered first of all to join the Air Force and went up to their offices in Bristo...
Views: 76   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 30, 2018 8:52pm
by Larry Southgate
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10