BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where were you?

Let's see if a small survey can get some of the 'silent majority' to use their PCs. laptops, tablets or smart phones. Which are not phones at all. They are wireless sets, transceivers, transmitters and receivers. Phones require cables whichis why they are called 'telephones'. Anyway:

Where were you on the 20th of September 1947?

Re: Where were you?

Leaving Trieste on demob leave via Port Said On a troop ship.

Not even a twinkle in my parents' eyes but my late father was part of GHQ CMF working between Duino Castle and Venice. I believe he had been busy over the 15/16/17 September with the peace treaty so may have been having a bit of a rest, was that allowed? The reports say the weather was unbearably hot but it was not repeated 70 years later! Photos of the Gorizia celebrations were in il Piccolo on Sunday Larry, did you see them?

As for the pictures in Il Piccolo on Sunday, no, I did not see them. I have however received your e-mail with the three photos attached. I do not receive the Il Piccolo newspaper only the Il Piccolo web-site and as far as I recall there were no photos on that. If you have any more you could send by e-mail, gratefully received.

Bernard, why on earth did you have to go to Port Said to catch a troopship to take you back for demob leave? How did you get to Port Said from Trieste?

I never mentioned where I was on 27 September 1947. Strangely enough, Bernard, I was not all that far from you in Port Said! I was actually in Julis Camp, in Palestine. I was still the Colonel's driver with his Humber Snipe staff car. Although, I might just have been down in Port Tewfik, on the Great Lakes, because we used to have to go there for conferences, driving down through the Sinai Desert. I was in Palestine from March 1947 to March 1948. Quite often a hairy experience what with the Irgum Zvai Leumi and the Haganah, when we had to drive up to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. I did, however, manage to get in a trip across to the Dead Sea. Down the road from Jerusalem, and we came to a turn off for Jericho on the left. We did not turn there but kept straight on for the Dead Sea and believe you me, that sea is SALTY. But one was able to float out without problems. On the way back, by the turn off for Jericho, there was a banana grove, so we were well supplied with nanas for a few days after. Oh, yes, Julis Camp was not all that far from Gaza, where I had to go occasionally driving a jeep. I remember once going for a drive into the Negev and meeting up with a wandering tribe of Beduin Arabs. We had a nice cup of tea and some sweet meats with them. Another time on a drive in the Negev we came across a group of Royal Engineers doing their spot of upgrading the maps. And who should be with them but one of my cousins called Stan Causer. It's a small world sometimes. I also managed a trip down to Petrah in Jordan. Fantastic place that. I became friends with the Manager of the NAAFI Club in the camp and some 30 years later I bumped into him one evening in Beirut. It really is a small world. And many years later, after having left the Army and becoming an Export Manager, I found myself back in Jerusalem and Gaza and Tel Aviv. Plus also visits to Damascus, Homms and Aleppo in Syria, and Amman in Jordan.

Sorry Larry, put it down to an old farts wandering. Got mixed up actually had left Trieste for Egypt then on to Palestine in about March 47 then off on demod leave to arrive home on Christmas eve 47; afraid its an age thing with me now Larry.

Bernard, I was in Trieste at the beginning of 1947. With the 1st Bn the Royal Welch regiment up in Opicina but had applied for a transfer to the Royal Signals which came through and I went down to Miramare to join the Sigs. From there we moved to Conegliano and after a few weeks I went home on leave in early March. Whilst on leave I got a telegram telling me not to go back to Italy but to go to Southampton and catch a troopship for Port Said. Did so and arrived in Port Said late March 47. Went down to Quassasin and from there - where they made me the Colonels driver - I had to lead the convoy from Quassasin up to Palestine and Julis Camp. So we must have been in Palestine at the same time. I then left Palestine in March 1948 and went back to the UK and Catterick camp and then to Pocklington to retrain as a Clerk typist. Did that and was sent to the Transit Camp in Ripon where I managed to persuade them to give me a compassionate posting over to Trieste and BETFOR Signals. Arrived in Trieste in September 48 and stayed until September 1953. It's a small world, ain't it?