BETFOR Association

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Message  Board

Our editorial policy is based on the ideas of free speech and respect for others.

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
PHOTO: Il valzer in piazza Unità sfiora il record
This photo of a record-breaking number of people waltzing in Piazza Unita appears in the latest edition of Il Piccolo online.
Views: 30   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 17, 2017 8:47pm
by Larry Southgate
Regional Meeting
A very welcome email from Charlie Dunnet tells me that their meeting last week was very pleasant and that their next will be on Friday 2nd March 2018 at the Rushbrooke Arms Sicklesmere at 1130 hrs. Charlie's phone number is 01473 745693. I’m sure Charlie won...
Views: 9   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 18, 2017 1:04pm
by Harry Dixon
Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chapter 16
Good morning and welcome to Chapter 16 of this endless saga. The morning is not too bad here at the moment. The temperature out in the garden is 15c and it seems to be a drizzly sort of start. Never mind, it will be Christmas very soon according to a lot of the adve...
Views: 229   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 17, 2017 8:18am
by Dave 796 RAF
Un'espresso,signor?
A twitter on the Il Piccolo web-site tonight - "Discover Trieste". Trieste and coffee - the annual average consumption of coffee per head in Italy is 5.8 kg but in Trieste it is 10 kg. This and other anecdotes you may find in :- #Trieste Coffee Tour. discover-t...
Views: 9   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2017 10:03pm
by Larry Southgate
70th Anniversary of 1000 troops demobbed from Trieste
A member of the Southampton local group put me in touch with Lorenzo Ielen in Trieste. As some of you are aware he had just published his doctorate thesis on the occupation of UK/USA forces, in the area, from 1945 to 1954. In a document he used in his thesis (GHQ ...
Views: 31   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 16, 2017 8:55pm
by Larry Southgate
Why can't they stop mucking about.........
..........with things - techie folk, I mean? Now it's Microsoft people and Windows. The last "update" seemed to last only a matter of weeks; then the latest batch of "reforms". Perhaps I'm the only one whose Bookmarks (Favourites) look different and behave oddly....
Views: 22   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 12, 2017 12:57pm
by Harry Dixon
BREXIT.
What was that they said about what would happen when we quitted the EU? Economic disaster, foreigners working here would all go home? A posting in the Il Piccolo website today would apparently contradict that. The headline goes: The 'flight' from the Fvg to...
Views: 15   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 11, 2017 9:20pm
by Larry Southgate
Welfare cheats.
It seems we are not the only country where one finds "welfare cheats". There is a small posting in the 'Il Piccolo' web-site today which is entitled: "THE ASSAULT OF A THOUSAND PIRATES ON WELFARE" At least 943 irregularities have been ascertained out of 1300 co...
Views: 12   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 8, 2017 9:34pm
by Larry Southgate
Web-cams and Christmas.
If anyone is interested in seeing the Christmas lights in various places around the world, i suggest you log on to: aTrieste.eu You should get a page in blue with indications of Trieste. Scroll down to the bottom and click on the last item. A page in black and...
Views: 19   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 30, 2017 9:39pm
by Larry Southgate
FIERA SAN NICOLO
The Fiera San Nicolo is to be held until 8th December........where?
Views: 30   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 30, 2017 8:45pm
by Larry Southgate
Charities. and Water in Africa.
For a couple of years now there has been an advert on the television for contributions towards a charity to help provide water in various parts of Africa. It shows a small child walking to a water hole to collect water in a type of jerrycan and walking back to her...
Views: 82   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 30, 2017 10:23am
by Roland
Death of another member
I'm sad to say that we have lost another member. Ivor Cosby (Royal Signals) passed away this week. Although Ivor had been in poor health for several years, he attended hospital for a check up and died shortly after arriving at the hospital, so it came as a shock to...
Views: 23   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 29, 2017 11:43am
by John Barron
"Grand Canal"
This photo dates from the beginning of the 20th century. There would have been an opening bridge to let the ships get out to sea. More recently, I can remember when many of the boats had out-board motors and certainly looked as if they went out on the open sea...
Views: 29   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 24, 2017 10:18pm
by Larry Southgate
New format.
Sorry Harry, but I do NOT like the new layout at all, at all.
Views: 70   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 23, 2017 6:29pm
by Harry Dixon
The Simplon- Orient Express.........
......used to start in London, ran through Europe, TRIESTE, Yugoslavia and on to Istanbul. We could go to Lubliana on it- and did. The Queen's messenger delivered the diplomatic "bag" to the Polad (Political Advisor) - or at least to the Stazione Centrale, where it w...
Views: 43   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 21, 2017 6:23pm
by Harry Dixon
My visit to Holland.
I believe I have mentioned already that I will be attending the celebrations in Holland for the liberation of the area of the Leudal zone. Here is the programme of events for next week. Sorry it's a bit long but needs must. PROGRAMME VETERANS’ WEEK 2017...
Views: 67   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 19, 2017 8:59pm
by Larry Southgate
Rejoice............ so they say
I received the following by email from Bravenet last week: New Message Forum Coming Next Week We are excited to announce that we will be releasing a whole new version of the Message Forum next week. There is nothing you need to do now. Your Forum will swit...
Views: 64   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 17, 2017 6:27pm
by Harry Dixon
Old Soldiers
This old photo has been discovered during research into the club's history. It was taken before the start of the start of WW1. Five of the men pictured were killed in action - on the back row the two men nos 5 and 6 from the left, middle row 3 and 4 and the y...
Views: 40   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 15, 2017 1:06pm
by Harry Dixon
Internet problems.
Tonight has been unpleasant as far as my internet connection has performed. Even when I was on Skype to Trieste, we had problems. And every so often a big screen from Microsoft telling me I was disconnected and offering to clear it up. Could this be anything to...
Views: 78   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 10, 2017 7:53pm
by Larry Southgate
Buskers in Trieste.
D'you remember there used to be the odd person with a guitar strumming in the streets around Piazza Unita` and Piazza della Borsa? Well, now if there are any caught by the cops they face a 300 € fine and their instrument confiscated. Makes for a merry xmas...
Views: 29   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 6, 2017 10:26pm
by Larry Southgate
PHOTO: Just For a Change.....
Il Piccolo has items about the tram and lots of details of old folks being injured in accidents and, as the poet says in "The Lion and Albert" - "nowt to laugh at at all" so I've been searching for an alternative. Here it is. The photo shows two of our committee m...
Views: 90   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 3, 2017 2:29pm
by Harry Dixon
Time - lees - ness
I cannot speak for others than myself, but since we put the clocks back one hour, time seems to have concocted an hiatus. I cannot recall time seeming to go so slow. The afternoons especially. It feels as though there are now more than 24 hours each day. Anybo...
Views: 31   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 2, 2017 9:02pm
by Larry Southgate
Mulberry Trees
There is a strange posting on the Il Piccolo website today. There is a street in Trieste called Via dell'Eremo and along this street in one part are planted some trees. The posting on the website shows a photo of a hand holding a very large ??berry??. I have done...
Views: 71   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 30, 2017 9:03pm
by Larry Southgate
Misc. Twaddle
1. Time - I can claim that I actually did read "A Brief History of Time". (It's said to be the most unread book of all ....) It was some years ago and I can't be expected to give the even the gist of it now but I think Spike Milligan had the sense of it when he said,...
Views: 51   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2017 7:11pm
by Harry Dixon
Ophelia
(From the BBC website.) It appears that Ophelia is causing the air over some parts of the country to carry enough Sahara sand to cause this effect. Here we have blue skies and a light breeze.
Views: 106   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 23, 2017 9:51pm
by Larry Southgate
Next Southampton Meeting
This is bit early but the date of my next meeting will be 11.30 Thursday 22nd February 2018 at our usual venue Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton.
Views: 60   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2017 2:48pm
by John Barron
"Commando Raid"
One day we had a surprise visitor to our remote cottage in the highlands - a marines officer; he had come to warn us that our night might be disturbed by the landing of a large helicopter nearby at the head of the bay. A number of men would land and would then make o...
Views: 66   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 19, 2017 5:50pm
by Roland
The south Stafford in Trieste in 1952 ?
Can any one tell me if they saw the the members of the south staffs Regiment in Trieste in 1952.
Views: 108   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 15, 2017 11:06am
by Les Walker
Next Meeting
Just a gentle reminder of my meeting 11.30 a.m. Thursday 19th October at Gusto Bistro, Commercial Road, Southampton. I welcome past and present members if they wish to join us.
Views: 54   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 12, 2017 9:33pm
by Paula
Trieste gets more interesting by the day.
A couple of postings from the Il Piccolo website of today Friday 6 October. Record seizure of 'Cocaine' on a yacht flying the Triestine flag. The yacht has been registered in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region where investigations are proceeding. The drug - &#...
Views: 75   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 6, 2017 10:39pm
by Larry Southgate
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10