BETFOR ASSOCIATION

Message Forum

British Element Trieste Force 1945 - 1954
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Greetings & More Tales from Wales - Chapter 17A :

Good morning – Hopefully, by the time I have finished this mornings Chapter of these gripping episodes, I have managed to disconnect myself from Chapter 16. Fingers crossed, but I must say I have started this twice now and have switched myself off before I have reached this point in the exercise. So, press on as they used to say in the NAAFI queue – oh! Happy Days that they were.

It is not a very good morning for new enterprises by the looks of it ‘out there’. We have a south south easterly wind pushing out at 12 mph. That, connected with a forecast of light cloud to start then followed by heavy rain from about 10am onwards, with temperatures around 3c to 10c. doesn’t look like the start of the summer to me! However, Sylvia came back from town on Friday with a lovely bunch of daffodils that started to open very nearly as soon as she got them home. By Saturday the were looking really lovely. We also have plants doing likewise in the garden.

I have spent some time during the week ‘playing’ with my new Tablet computer. It is taking me some time to get it trained as my eyesight at the moment leaves a lot to be desired, and after a couple of hours playing with it they decide they have has enough. But I am pleased with what I have achieved so far

Life in the garden is going to plan, as much as garden plans go at this time of the year. I must say (yet again!) that Sylvia is doing a grand job. Elsewhere things have been rather busy on the social front. We have had a few visitors dropping in on one pretext or another, yesterday my sister and her daughter dropped in for a couple of hours land caught me on my own, Sylvia had just gone out to visit an elderly neighbour who in in a care home about a mile away. Tuesday, I had my blood test, it came out a nice deep red colour. Next one in 8 week’s time. Tuesday my new wireless keyboard and mouse combo arrived, it settled down very easily I am glad to report. Friday night I had a meeting up in Denbigh which finished late and it was gone 10pm and my bed=time bu the time I got home. To finish the week off we have two of our friends down for lunch to-day, and it is fingers crossed this morning’s preacher does not go on too long in the pulpit!

And that reminds me to close this morning’s wanderings and get myself ready to face the day. Have a good week, and remember to keep a close eye on the weather! I will now press the magic button and hope to find that I have managed to open Chapter 17 in its own place.

YES!!

Dave, in your diatribe this weekend, you mention that you had a blood test and it came out nice and red. I had to go for a check-up on the 16th. They are keeping tabs on me since my last heart attack last July. Left-arm, I queried? Twill do, she said. BUT, apparently, all the blood vessels in my left arm HAD VANISHED! Strangest thing ever. Right arm was OK and two small vials of nice dark red blood flowed down. But, normally, the blood vessels in my left arm are truly visible and available. I'll have to keep an eye on the arm to see what's happening.

Good Morning to you Larry - How strange! No doubt if you pop along to your doctors shop he will tell you not to worry - it's 'armless'!!
Sorry mate - I think it is too early for me to try and make jokes this morning.

Dave, you really must bring yourself into the modern world! POP along to the doctors? Might have done 40 years ago, but nowadays? Lucky if you can get in to see a doctor within a fortnight. And there are 12 doctors in the surgery. And NO, I do not live in the middle of a town. I'm a suburban dweller. No wonder the A&E departments are overworked! If you are lucky you might get an appointment in a week from phoning. Phoning? One number. You spend up to 20 minutes waiting for a reply only to be told you cannot see anybody for a week or ten days. Wonderful NHS service we have now. Join BUPA or some such org and you can get an appointment in a couple of days and then you find you see one of the doctors from your local surgery!! Boom Boom. And have you seen the wages they get?

Good morning all - Now this is a far more reasonable time of the day to be doing this sort of thing, quite civilised in fact. Yes, we are excused chapel parade this morning and we are making the most of it.

It has been a week of minor frustrations really. Nothing too dramatic, just little things here and there going awry, the TV has developed indigestion and the picture breaks up continuously. Yesterday afternoon I spent an hour checking the more obvious things, and after plugging our small bedroom TV on to the aerial and found that that was behaving normally decided that the fault lay within the TV. I have a note on my desk now to remind me to phone the insurance company for a job number and the phone number of their local TV repair firm so that I can get the set checked over and, hopefully, repaired. Friday, two of our vertical blinds (Roman blinds I believe is the trade name for what I always think of as vertical Venetian blinds) started to jam. The main lounge section I freed without too much bother, but the other culprit in the bathroom was more difficult, but it is now working with one strip still playing up and refusing to align with the rest of his mates, but it is hardly noticeable now. Our luncheon party went off very well on the Sunday, it is always a real pleasure to entertain two gents who have healthy appetites and really enjoy their food. It was gone 4pm before they left us.

The weather has been rather changeable and not to be relied on, despite that Sylvia was out there any time it was fit, either hanging out her washing or putting in a few more plants. She had her seeds delivered a couple of days ago, with a note to say the seed potatoes would be along later.

Well, there we are, I think that is just about all the news of the week. It is time now to see what my better half is up too. I could hear her on the phone to our daughter up in Birmingham area earlier. She is moving to a new house any time now, and yesterday she and her daughter were going to their intended house to do some measuring up and have a chat with the lady who is living there at the moment. Have a good week, and do keep warm.

Dave, for a long time now there have been adverts on-line, on TV and in the papers about a TV antenna which apparently allows the possesser to tune into most of the Satellite stations with HD reception and not have to pay a penny in subscriptions. I have finally fallen for this and have sent off for one of these aerials. I hope I can paste here the address of the company and the e-mail address which, should you be interested, you can contact to find out about it. Anything to save you money seems to be a good idea. Here we go with the pastings:

Hello Thomas Southgate,

Thanks for your TVFox Antenna purchase! Your order is currently being processed. Once your package is on its way, we’ll send you an email with all the shipping details within 48 hours.
Hello Thomas Southgate,

Ooops, made a little booby there, Dave. Anyway, hereunder should be the address details of the company with their e-mail address, should you be interested in finding out about this antenna from FOX.

Email: support@freeseetv.com
Phone: 1-716-330-1335

Address: Strong Current Enterprises Limited: 19-21 Crawford Street, Dept 706, London, England, W1H 1PJ

Morning to you Larry. Thank you for the address, I shall have to chase it up and see what it is all about. Though I must confess Sylvia and I watch very little in the way of TV program mes these days, we mainly watch some of the old favourite shows via our DVD.Currently we are just coming to the end of "New Tricks".

Good morning all – I have just checked up on our local area weather forecast pkf of the BBC and was sorely tempted to go back to bed for the day! Most of the day we shall be having strong winds and sleet showers with the temperature wandering around the -3c mark. Ugh!!

My apologies for no rambling thoughts for last week, and what is more I cannot remember quite why that was. I think it was ‘just one of those things’ somehow. There is not a lot of news from this week just closed either. The weather has seriously curtailed any thoughts of gardening, even Sylvia has spent more time indoors catching up on her knitting and other suchlike activities. She has been saved by her seed potatoes, onions setts and various other seeds, which arrived in a smart little parcel the other day. Chitting is now in full spate in the little bedroom, and planting of seeds in the greenhouse is on the cards for any day now! She arrived home from town the other day with a large plant pot to re-pot one of the holly ‘trees’ which hasn’t been looking very happy in its old pot. I think my high light of the week was managing to get myself to the barbers for a beard trim and haircut.

Time to close on this morning’s effort, with the temperature out there set at -3c I can see it taking me longer than usual to get dressed up for chapel – got to remember that it may be a little on the cooler side in there this morning!

Have a safe week and do keep warm!!

Dave, if you want to keep warm, do what I did. About six weeks ago I popped in to Marks and Sparks and bought a couple of pairs of 'long-johns'. Should have done this years ago. They really keep your legs warm and with warm legs it seems the rest of your body copies. But I also use winter-type undervests and have discovered you can buy Flannel shirts with a fleece liining and boy, do they keep you warm. They cost anything from 19 to 28 quid but are really worth the expense. I also found on Hoggs website a fleece type shirt jacket. So I'm really well wrapped up for the winter. But the long johns I would now recommend to anyone including ladies. Just thought you might like to know!

Good morning all - And it is a beautiful morning here to-day. Mind you, I am only going by looking out of the window here in my ‘office’. But it is good enough for me!

The sharper eyed of you out there will have realised that once again I seem to be writing this episode rather later than I usually do. Quite right, due to some cruel streak of fate I have ‘cricked’ my neck and twisted a tendon here or there, or whatever it was, and now I am moving rather gingerly, not the right frame of mind – or body – to be attending chapel. So, this morning my fate has been to be left behind and carve the chicken in time for lunch! Alas, wicked fate.

Apart from that it has been a generally quiet and uneventful sort of week. The highlights would appear to be the electricians visit on Wednesday morning to repair the bathroom heater fan, our fish delivery and finishing off with a meeting at night. That ran on a bit longer than it should have done due to some members love of hearing their own voices! No doubt most of you have run across them from time to time! Friday’s highlight was also an evening meeting, with more or less the same type of people.

Sylvia continues to battle it out with encroaching weeds, soil fouling cats, and applying her compost etc. to the various parts that need it. Fair play to her, the garden looks ready and eager to receive plants! Her daffs and other spring flowers are poking their heads out into the world and cheers us up in the bargain.

How time flies when you are enjoying yourself! And if I don’t get onto that chicken in the kitchen it will be MY head that is on the block. If I am lucky they will have had a longish sermon in chapel which should give me just about enough time to save my neck!

I saw your message about the ‘long john’s’ and so on at M & S Larry. But I have to confess I have been using them for a few years. Quite right though, they are well worth the cash! I used to be a Damart fan at one time.

Good morning all - Well if nothing else I can see that Spring has not arrived here in Prestatyn overnight. The temperature out there in the garden is -0.2c without adding anything for the wind chill factor, and the sky is a dull greyish sort of overcast. A quick look out of the lounge window does not show any obvious signs of frost, and I certainly do not intend to go out there to check any closer for the moment. And, bearing in mind that I tend to operate at slower speeds in sympathy with the lower temperatures these days, I have decided to clear my conscience and do my Sunday morning salute to Betfor before I have my breakfast. How is that for devotion to duty!

Looking back over the week I seem to have spent a lot of my time in working on my ‘Tablet’ which is a 12” model to accommodate my poor eye-sight at the moment. Despite an array of magnifying glasses of various ‘powers’ the cataracts get the better of me, and I have to pack it away to one side after a couple of hours work. I am making progress though - I think! Once I get the cataracts sorted I hope to tame it completely.

Good news of the television front though. The engineer called on Tuesday with the new ‘card’, which has been about 3 weeks coming. He fitted it in about ten minutes, checked the tuning etc and went off home for his tea. So, we are able to see the evening news in comfort once again. But what with the Brexit squabbles, the Oxfam scandals, and other suchlike morbid news items that even the BBC seem to enjoy dredging up every day, one wonders whether it is worth the trouble of tuning in! Never mind, when we look out of the window and see the tubs of daffodils in the garden it tends to put a happier slant on life!

Sylvia is in her element, when it stops raining long enough to let her out into the garden, and a sunny spell that warms the greenhouse is even more to her liking as she can stay in the warmth while sorting out her seeds etc. She is very pleased with the way the garden in general is coping.

It is our annual Covenant Service this morning in chapel and our new minister is back on duty to officiate. She is having a rather ‘rocky’ start to her ministry with us as the Manse has been out of action and she has been placed in temporary quarters way down the coast, plus for the last couple of weeks or so she has been ‘off sick’ – not surprising really! Anyway, despite any aches and pains this morning, it is church parade time – I am keeping my fingers crossed there will not be too much bobbing up and down. My back has been reminding that it is not too keen on such gymnastics at the moment – ah! one’s lost youth, where has it gone! I sometimes hear a refrain away off in the distance “Down the river of no return Matey” Life is so unfair!! Never mind we have a nice piece of steak for lunch!
That’s it then for another week! Never mind ‘Beware the Ides of March’, just remember to keep warm during the next spell of Winter that all the TV Boffins are promising us!!

Good morning all - I must say that I am a little reluctant to start with ‘good morning’ to-day! Looking out of our bedroom window at 6.30 you could hardly see the mountain, the whole stretch was covered in a dirty, stale washing up water sort of mist. The temperature was 2c, so I suppose that was an improvement on what it has been recently. The only things out there to give you an idea that this was Spring were the daffodils. Bless them! Now I have had my breakfast the prospect does look a good deal brighter. Surprising what a bowl of porridge can do for one’s outlook on life at this time of the year.

We have had our share of snow this week, nothing like some of the scenes seen on television, but enough to cause some disruption, especially on the upper stretches. Friday I actually dug out our trusty snow-shovels and cleared the path to the front door, the one around to the back door and to make a job of it the path to the garden shed and the garage (which is now used as storage for various bits and pieces, the tumble drier and the deep freezer. Sylvia could get out to them without getting her feet wet. I think I bought two of those shovels a couple of years ago, and this is the first time I have used them seriously.

The main snow covering has vanished from the town area now, leaving the odd patches here and there were it has been sheltered from the sun, but there are some hazardous stretches of icy surfaces. I shall have to get my snow boots out for the walk to chapel this morning. They are not too obviously boots so don’t clash too badly with my Sunday suit.

The garden has not had much in the way of attention this week. Sylvia has been out there for short spells doing a bit of tidying up and checking on her plants. But the soil does seem to be in good heart, and the snow and frost are what they need just at the moment, or so the experts say.

Generally speaking the two of us are going on in our usual way and keeping warm in the bargain. The biggest alteration to our routine was Sylvia eventually decided yesterday morning, Saturday, that she would give her run down to Rhyl to see our son a miss. The bus journey into the outskirts of Rhyl would be OK, as Ariva buses were running; but the rather long and exposed walk from the bus stop by Rhyl’s fire station to the house was going to be a bit of a problem. She phoned them to say she was not coming, and the carer on duty confirmed she was doing the right thing, the roads on their estate were pretty icy.

So, there you are. Not a lot to tell really, which from our point of view up here is a good thing! Never mind, the weather pundits are now more or less agreeing that the weather will be perking up next week – fingers crossed that they are right! Time I was getting myself sorted out for chapel, I have my thermals warming on the radiator in the bedroom, and in this cold weather my fingers and thumbs take longer than they should tackling shirt buttons and shoe laces! Roll on the summer – and Harry, do keep those rather striking flower photographs coming – whether you get them from your own garden or pinch them out of the seed catalogues They do brighten to pages up! Keep warm all.

Good morning all - It is truly amazing how the weeks fly by these days. No sooner have I written my Sunday morning ‘sermon’, as Sylvia once put it, and it is time to do another week’s! Never mind, the weather is improving little by little, and the summer cannot be so very far away, can it?

It has not been one of my best weeks I am afraid, I have been suffering from a stiff neck and shoulders which has made life rather uncomfortable at times, and the cold weather seems to aggravate it rather. And just to put the top hat on it I woke up this morning and found I was deaf in my right ear. I eventually traced that to the fact that my hearing aid tube was blocked, and I am now back on form in the hearing department after a little fiddling around with my hearing aid tool kit. Apart from those few problems things were not so bad, even the weather improved as the week moved on.

The sight of the greenhouse auto vent window opening and the greenhouse temperature getting up to 70F in there has made Sylvia get keen on getting out into the garden and getting on with it. Our daffodils are still in bloom, and a truly cheery sight they are too. She has also been heard threatening the forsythia that if it doesn’t get a move on she will chop it down.

This coming week I seem to have a few bits and pieces to attend to. Wednesday and Friday nights, I have an evening meeting, and on Thursday morning I have a double appointment for various blood tests in the morning. I hope it isn’t going to be one of those nasty cold and wet days! I have just noticed that according to the said diary that Tuesday 20th of March is the first day of Spring. It is amazing what you come across in diaries these days!

I have a written myself a sick note excused chapel duty, so I will be manning the kitchen until lunch time! Which mainly consists of remembering to fetch the steak out of the frig an hour before Sylvia is expected back and we need to cook it. Simples!!! So, there we are – I’ll get on with the next chore on my mental list and get the week-end Neighbourhood Watch Alerts sent off. The excitements, the excitements!! Have a good week and look after yourselves!

Good morning all - There we are – another week clocked up bringing us one nearer the Summer. Although looking through the window at 4am this morning and finding someone had covered the area with icing sugar made me wonder if we were getting nearer the deep midwinter than the Summer!

I am having the morning off chapel to-day as I seem to have woken up with wobbly legs and dizzy spells, something I haven’t had for a long time. And no, it wasn’t an excuse for giving chapel a miss as I was looking forward to to-day’s preacher, a local preacher who always gives you a full sixpennorth for your collection! There are not that many these days you can say that for.

A bit of a bad start to this week I am afraid, as my sister died. She had been slowly deteriorating healthwise for some time now, and it is a release for her really. Her funeral is later this month on the 26th.

The weather has left little time for getting out into the garden, Sylvia has made a couple of blitzes on clearing up here and there, and generally keeping it looking as if someone does love it despite the weather! An extra gusty southeasterly wind took a largish patch of the roof felt off the garden shed a couple of days ago, and I have been phoning here and there trying to find someone who can come down and re-felt it. Hard to get someone to do these smaller jobs, especially in this weather. I have sealed off a couple of leaks and am keeping my fingers crossed that someone may be down on Monday to have a look at it and get it made watertight again. The electrician was here on Wednesday to replace the bathroom fan heater, which had decided to throw in the towel Sunday night. He was here at 9am and away again within the hour, no mess, no fuss there! Thursday I was at the surgery seeing to blood tests, 4 different ones, and come again in 70 days. It’s nice to be so well looked after!

Well, there you are folks – a bit of a drear report I am afraid, but as Esther used to say - “That’s Life”. I never really knew whether to believe her or not! Do look after yourselves, and watch your step on icy roads.

Good morning all - A great improvement in the weather here to-day! The sun is shining brightly even if the temperature is only 3c outside. I switched the television off this morning before the BBC weather person could, perhaps, spoil it all with pointing out where all the bad weather was now, and where it is going to be for the next few days.

I have just skimmed through my meanderings in last week’s episode of our ‘doings’ up here and feel I ought to apologise for inflicting such moans on you. I then consoled myself with the thought that you could always switch off if it got too drear! But, fear not, most of it worked itself out in the end. Actually I did very well on Monday morning and phoned the surgery at 0800 and managed to book an appointment with our doctor for 0900! The receptionist was just in the middle of telling me that there were no vacancies in the list until Tuesday or Wednesday, when she broke off with a squeak and said a client had just phoned in to cancel her appointment and could I get to the surgery by 9am – I said I certainly could and the appointment was mine! I shouted to Sylvia to phone the taxi office and get a taxi down right away, and got on with getting properly dressed in a rush! I got to the surgery by 8.55 and was called in straight away. It appears that the dizziness was due to problems with the ‘inner ear’ and I was given a prescription which I collected from the chemists on my way home. Little white pills to be taken 3 times a day. The only drawback was the instructions on the label not to ‘drink’ while taking them. Now here we are a week down the line but still tending to walk as if I have just been ejected from the Red Lion! I am taking no chances this morning and will be ordering a taxi to make sure I get to the chapel on time! It is my sister’s funeral tomorrow, and it will be interesting to see how I manage to get on there.

Another success for the week was in getting two chaps to come down here and re-felt the garden shed. I have been waiting for them to turn up, and they arrived yesterday morning and were away again by mid-day having made a very tidy job of it, and with a good quality heavy weight felt – if that is the right term for the covering.

The garden is looking quite dapper now, but is still too cold to plant much outside. I was having a good look at ‘my’ plot yesterday morning and it was still showing signs of frost, and the soil was quite ‘crisp’. It is a good thing that the runner bean plants seem to be taking their time over sprouting in their pots in the greenhouse! Quite sensible plants really!

Time I moved on and got the taxi organised and sorted out my ‘wardrobe’. I am all fingers and thumbs these days on top of everything else. Look after yourselves, keep warm and do have an enjoyable Easter.